Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 05-12-2008, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischbowl View Post
There is a disclaimer at the beginning of the book warning people not to lend it to others (very Colbert-esque, wouldn't disagree), but due to my lack of disposable income, I have not been able to buy the book and my smartass friends won't lend it to me because of the disclaimer.
I might have to lend the book to a former Blue-Devil ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:27 AM    (permalink
nfrillman
Veteran

nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.

Does anybody else read Clive Cussler's books? I really like the Dirk Pitt novels.

I am done arguing, until somebody says something stupid.
nfrillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:57 AM    (permalink
TheGreatEscape
Veteran

TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.

Just read the new Wild Cards Novel "Inside Straight" yesterday and over the decades and scores of writers used George RR Martin continues to smoothly integrate the different short stories and makes an awesome shared world mosaic novel. Each book has been written by a half dozen scifi writers, either as a collection of short stories or interwoven novels to create mosaic novel. Really cool how they did it, and the books are enthralling.
TheGreatEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:59 PM    (permalink
TheGreatEscape
Veteran

TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.

For any of you looking for a more serious read David Friedman's "the Machinery of Freedom" is the best argument for anarchism imaginable. It's a look at the functions of government from the viewpoint of an economist.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:30 PM    (permalink
SaintsFanForLife
Pro Bowler

SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromforgotten View Post
For any fantasy geeks out there who love Lord of the Rings I would recommend The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I am a huge LotR fan but I consider TWoT to be the better story, just my opinion.
Have you ever read any of David Eddings books. One of my favs.

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT
SaintsFanForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:47 PM    (permalink
eaglesfan_45
Veteran

eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.

This is the closest thread I could find similar to my topic, I need some help thinking of historical events that affect the world today. I already have Declaration of Independence, World War II, and Phonecian Language but I need more, so some help would be apreciated.

(Please don't say something like the birth of Jordyzz Nelsonzzzz)
eaglesfan_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:59 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Martin Luther's 95 Theses maybe?

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:04 PM    (permalink
kwilk103
Pro Bowler

kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

heres my list for next semester---eng 132 novles and short stories

Invisible Cities---Calvino
Haroun and the Sea of Stories---Rushdie
Fantastic Tales---Calvino
Frankenstein (original 1818 text)---Shelley (read sr yr of hs)
Turn of the Screw and Aspern Papers---James
Sons---Lafka

anyone read any of these?

cred 2 BoneKrusher
kwilk103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:11 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Turn of the Screw is pretty good, short too.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:25 AM    (permalink
nfrillman
Veteran

nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfan_45 View Post
This is the closest thread I could find similar to my topic, I need some help thinking of historical events that affect the world today. I already have Declaration of Independence, World War II, and Phonecian Language but I need more, so some help would be apreciated.

(Please don't say something like the birth of Jordyzz Nelsonzzzz)
Here are some just off the top of my head:
-Magna Carta
-Jesus.....savior to largest religious group in world, prophet to two of the other biggest groups
-Printing Press
-Renaissance
-The use of gun powder and explosives as weapons
-Airplanes........revolutionized warfare and connected the world like never before
-Cold War......almost every war fought during the Cold War years was connected to the Cold War in some way
-Change in war tactics around the time of the American Revolution......began to phase out the strategy of armies meeting in fields and trading fire back and forth.......guerilla warfare
-Machine gun
-Geneva Convention (war crimes)
-The forward pass
-Death Star.......destruction of Alderaan and subsequent battle for galactic control between the Rebels and the Empire

I am done arguing, until somebody says something stupid.
nfrillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:24 AM    (permalink
trekindude
Rookie

trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Isaac Newton... Three Laws of Motion, allowed for the development of mechanical constructions.
French Revolution... First time a nation had revolted in support of democracy.
Communist Manifesto... Changed the face of world history.
Warp Drive... Allowed mankind to boldly go where no man had gone before.

Literature wise, I'm big into Sci-Fi and Fantasy. Favourite sci-fi author is Peter F. Hamilton: The Commonwealth Saga is just awesome. Never really been into Eddings but am deeply miffed that Jordan died and the publication of the last WoT is up in arms. Love George R. R. Martin if anyone has read him. Think he's the best fantasy author since Tolkien. I also recommend Rite of Passage by Alexei Panshin. It's kinda old and hard to find, but is an awesome read if you get hold of it.
trekindude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:59 AM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintsFanForLife View Post
Have you ever read any of David Eddings books. One of my favs.
No, I have not. I will check him out. Thanks.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:22 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been really meaning to get back into reading good, quality novels. Any recommendations for a novel to ease me back into reading?

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:25 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
Oh man, im gunna have so much to contribute to this thread...as someone who reads an awful lot, here are some of my favourite novels...

Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk- Ive never read anything so moving in my life. Everytime i read it it breaks my heart, simply because it paints a picture that is so bleak its stunning. I love it. Its very differant from the movie, and drives home its anti-consumerist message much better then the movie does. This is without doubt my favourite novel, and always will be. Id recommend it for anyone who hasnt already read it.

Blindness, Jose Saramago- Another novel that touches upon the depths of the human soul, Blindness is about an epidemic in which the majority of the human population is turned blind. It details the collapse of society with clarity, and some of the novel is terrifying to be honest. One of teh best written novels ive ever read. Spectacular in every way. I cant say enogh good things about it. Its written with hardly any punctuation, sentences can be half a page long. Its very disorienting at first, but once you get used to it, you cant put the nove down.

Oryx And Crake, Margaret Atwood- another post apocolyptic novel about a man who had a large role in mankinds downfall. Details his guilt and pain in reliving his memories as the last man on earth. Very very good novel, with alot of satire and black humour. Deals heavily with bioengineering and the ethics behind it, im writing a paper on it for school. Its fantastic. I love it, i recommend it to everyone.

those are just a few, but i can go on and on and on all night. but for anyone who hasnt read those novels, i recommend them right away
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
More of my favourites that i forgot...

American Psycho, Bret Easton Ellis- A bit on the graphic side, actually its probably the most disturbing thing ive ever read, but i love the messages in the novel. As you can tell, im big on these kinds of books and if you can sort through the mass amounts of designer brands, there is an important sentiment behind the words.

The Secret History, Donna Tartt- Another very good novel, about several college students who commit a murder. However, its written in reverse style and its very very effective. A gripping read that deals with grief and despair and consequences
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
I've been really meaning to get back into reading good, quality novels. Any recommendations for a novel to ease me back into reading?
any of the ones i mentioned are fantastic caddy. more reccomendations

-I Am Legend
-Interview With The Vampire
-Brave New World
-Requiem For A Dream
-Less Then Zero
-A Light In August

Just off the top of my head...any of those are all challenging reads, but all examples of classic literture
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:04 AM    (permalink
TheGreatEscape
Veteran

The invention of the Printing Press is very arguably one of the most significant historical events because it made literature, and by proxy thought, more widespread.

To caddy: I'm pimping George RR Martin's Wild Card series, it's not as "profound" as some like from their books but I thought it was an enthralling look at an America where superheroes and mutated freaks roam the streets due to an alien virus. The characters are very real and I love shared worlds in general.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:05 AM    (permalink
RoyHall#1
Pro Bowler

RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe Of Mice and Men if you want an easier read.

Or the best book ever, Ender's Game. That one's really easy.
RoyHall#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:34 AM    (permalink
TheGreatEscape
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyHall#1 View Post
Maybe Of Mice and Men if you want an easier read.

I'll second ender's game, although it's not well written it's a fun read. Plus the main characters are all awesomely evil.

As for Of Mice and Men I couldn't stand that book. Steinbeck is just so slow and drawn out. Plus I wanted to personally shoot Lenny by page 10.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:37 AM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fahrenheit 451 is just an amazing read as well.

And if you want something to just take up time and enjoy, just pick-up a Michael Crichton book (except Airframe, stay away from that one).

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:45 AM    (permalink
TheGreatEscape
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlepower View Post

And if you want something to just take up time and enjoy, just pick-up a Michael Crichton book (except Airframe, stay away from that one).
Glad you mentioned Crichton, just read "State of Fear" about a month ago and had a lot of fun with it. It might be time to re-read "timeline" if I can't get my hands on the wild cards volumes that i'm missing.

Last edited by TheGreatEscape : 05-15-2008 at 10:47 AM. Reason: i can't type, sue me
Old 05-15-2008, 11:39 AM    (permalink
trekindude
Rookie

trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyHall#1 View Post
Am I the only one who thought Ender's Shadow was a much better book? Game is a classic, but Shadow was written so much better.
trekindude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:41 AM    (permalink
SaintsFanForLife
Pro Bowler

SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
No, I have not. I will check him out. Thanks.
The Belgariad is Eddings' first fantasy series; The Malloreon is the sequel. Its 10 books but its really great.

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT
SaintsFanForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:12 PM    (permalink
RoyHall#1
Pro Bowler

RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekindude View Post
Am I the only one who thought Ender's Shadow was a much better book? Game is a classic, but Shadow was written so much better.
I'd actually agree with you on that, they're both great. Take back my best book ever comment lol.

Last edited by RoyHall#1 : 05-15-2008 at 02:02 PM.
RoyHall#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:53 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
For any fantasy geeks out there who love Lord of the Rings I would recommend The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I am a huge LotR fan but I consider TWoT to be the better story, just my opinion.
Ugh. It's become a past time in my apartment to make fun of Jordan's series. It's an interesting story, but there is nothing there to warrant the dozen or so books he pours into it, mostly filled with fairly dumb inner monologues and silly re-occurring themes. I read all the books in the series that were out while I was in high school, and it was probably one of the least fulfilling extended reading experiences of my life.

I can't believe that the series is going to continue even after Jordan died.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:42 PM    (permalink
TheGreatEscape
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
I can't believe that the series is going to continue even after Jordan died.
The Chromicals of Amber didn't die with Zelazny. *shrug* what'd you expect? It was a successful series, although i only read 3 of the books of the series, publishers don't realize that not all scifi/fantasy is written the same a lot of times.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:00 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im a creative writing major so I love me some good Literature :) Actually haven't read alot of these books in this thread, I'll have to check out alot of these guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlepower View Post
Ahhh loved this book, read it a few years ago,but I still remember it being pretty damn good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote