Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:46 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Willie Roaf to go in HOF as a Saint

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs...=2007706100338

Roaf didn't finish his career with the Saints, but he spent the first nine years of his NFL career in New Orleans.

He understands his place in team history. Roaf will be the first Pro Football Hall of Famer inductee who spent the bulk of his playing career with the Saints.

"It will be special for New Orleans fans," Roaf said. "I'll go into the Hall of Fame as a Saint. There are no Saints in the Hall of Fame, so it will be great."

Even as a Chiefs fan I'm fine with it he played nine years with the Saints they drafted him and it is his home town.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:21 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Letting Willie Roaf go was one of the dumbest things the franchise has ever done. I'm really glad he doesn't have any hard feelings.
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:27 PM    (permalink
Woody56
Veteran

Woody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

My favorite OT of all time. Easily one of the best LT's ever.
Woody56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:29 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
Letting Willie Roaf go was one of the dumbest things the franchise has ever done. I'm really glad he doesn't have any hard feelings.
I believe it was for only a 3rd round pick which makes it even dumber.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:39 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Makes sense. I'm glad he's not a Chief anymore, which is a compliment BTW.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:00 PM    (permalink
HoopsDemon12
Pro Bowler

HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.

he was one hell of a player... gonna be great that he gets inducted as a saint

Sig By Diehardvikingfan
HoopsDemon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:03 PM    (permalink
BPhilb
Veteran

BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.

I really believe that he is the best LT of all time. Which team he goes in for is irrelavent to me, but I know getting to watch him in KC was special.
BPhilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:38 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Most definitely.

Not something I like to go back on at all but the Haslett regime really ran this team into the ground. I can't find the exact quote but I remember Roaf stating He would rather retire than play for a Jim Haslett team again.
Quote:
New Orleans would like to deal Roaf, and the seven-time Pro Bowl selection has said he will retire rather than return to play for Saints head coach Jim Haslett, with whom he has a deteriorating relationship.
I've never seen a coach have so little control over a team, his teams always collapsed down the stretch, and almost always were in the top of the league in penalties. His philosophy of bringing in athletes with great measurables but paying no heed to intelligence, and character was terrible. Which led to losing veteran leaders with great intangibles like Roaf, Sammy Knight, La'Roi Glover, and replacing them with athletes or just flat out unmotivated players like Tebucky Jones, Grady Jackson, Dale Carter, Albert Connell, and the massive mistake Johnathan Sullivan.

I remember in 2001 the team was 7-5 and had to win 2 of their final 3 games 2 of which were non playoff teams and they lost all three games. and then again in 2002 where they started 7-2 and failed to make the playoffs, losing their last 3 games, Haslett stuck with an injured Aaron Brooks starting rather than playing Delhomme.

I think I'm going to make myself sick. :( Very glad that Willie is going in as a Saint, and upset over how his tenure ended here.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:42 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I remember in 2001 the team was 7-5 and had to win 2 of their final 3 games 2 of which were non playoff teams and they lost all three games. and then again in 2002 where they started 7-2 and failed to make the playoffs, losing their last 3 games, Haslett stuck with an injured Aaron Brooks starting rather than playing Delhomme.
I believe the 2001 year was when I seriously started watching football and saw something in the Saints that I liked. Then, we lost those last two games (one was to the WINLESS Bengals, I believe) and was like, "Wow. This team really sucks but this is the team I'm staying with." Been on board ever since.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:30 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat420 View Post
http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs...=2007706100338

Roaf didn't finish his career with the Saints, but he spent the first nine years of his NFL career in New Orleans.

He understands his place in team history. Roaf will be the first Pro Football Hall of Famer inductee who spent the bulk of his playing career with the Saints.

"It will be special for New Orleans fans," Roaf said. "I'll go into the Hall of Fame as a Saint. There are no Saints in the Hall of Fame, so it will be great."

Even as a Chiefs fan I'm fine with it he played nine years with the Saints they drafted him and it is his home town.
Quote:
To all of the above, I say: well said.

Also, Haslett was a disaster of a head coach. Even if he did manage to get the Saints to the playoffs for one year, with Aaron Brooks as his quarterback.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:16 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Is this really as big a deal as it is in baseball? Matter of fact, isn't baseball the only sport you really "go in as" a member of a certain team? Just curious, I've never heard anyone make a big deal about it in any other sport...
Old 06-11-2007, 10:20 PM    (permalink
saintsfan912
Pro Bowler

saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love it! Willie was IMO the best LT to ever play the game. Unbelievable player and person. The day Haslett let him go over big mouth Horn is the day I started hating Haslett. I'm just excited we finally get a Hall Of Fame member, even though there will be plenty to come.

Big time Thank You to BoneKrusher!

Who Dat Nation!
saintsfan912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:27 PM    (permalink
jbeans187
Veteran

jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

This might sound dumb but i had no idea he ever played for the Saints. Was he a good player there or did he get better when he joined the Chiefs?

Leroy Smith - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koGD6XnAsNs
jbeans187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:49 AM    (permalink
saintsfan912
Pro Bowler

saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Have you just started watching football or something? He was a pro bowler multiple times as a Saint. The face of the organization for years. He was drafted by the Saints in the 1st round out of Louisiana Tech.

Who Dat Nation!
Old 06-12-2007, 12:54 AM    (permalink
jbeans187
Veteran

jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Im more of a college football guy but WOW!!! I didnt know

Leroy Smith - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koGD6XnAsNs
jbeans187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:59 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeans187 View Post
This might sound dumb but i had no idea he ever played for the Saints. Was he a good player there or did he get better when he joined the Chiefs?
Yes, he started all 16 games as a Rookie and then went on to make 7 Pro-Bowl appearances as a Saint.

He spent 9 out of 13 of his seasons in New Orleans, but he is mostly remembered for his time as a Chief. Mainly because he played a big part in a dominant KC O-line along with Will Shields, and Brian Waters paving the way for huge rushing years for Priest Holmes, and Larry Johnson.

Regardless he was one of the best Left tackles of this era right up there with Anthony Munoz, Walter Jones, Jon Ogden..
Old 06-12-2007, 02:08 AM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Being a life long Saints fan this makes me warm inside.
Acreboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:02 AM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Is this really as big a deal as it is in baseball? Matter of fact, isn't baseball the only sport you really "go in as" a member of a certain team? Just curious, I've never heard anyone make a big deal about it in any other sport...
Yeah, this really doesn't make any sense. In football they don't go in for a certain team.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:36 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
Yes, he started all 16 games as a Rookie and then went on to make 7 Pro-Bowl appearances as a Saint.

Add four more pro bowls with the Chiefs after that not a bad days work Roaf was not one of those players that went to the PB on name alone he earned it.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:49 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's a tremendous honor to have Roaf enter the Hall of Fame as a Saint. He was a class act on the field and off and he deserves all the praise he gets.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:53 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

I have no idea how the man could run on game day he had trouble even walking any other day of the week.

Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:06 PM    (permalink
saintsfan912
Pro Bowler

Cortizone(or however you spell it) works wonders.

And on the HOF web site there is a way to sort hall of famers by Franchise so I think it does matter what team he goes in as. Thats how it seems anyways.

Who Dat Nation!
Old 06-12-2007, 08:08 PM    (permalink
saintsfan912
Pro Bowler

Just noticed this but Willie won't be the first Saint in the HOF. The late great Jim Finks was inducted in '95. He was one of the best GMs of all time and, from what I hear from older people, a hell of a person as well.

Who Dat Nation!
Old 06-12-2007, 08:11 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

I'll always love Willie Roaf. He was an absolute monster for so long it was easy to take him for granted.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:13 AM    (permalink
kmartin575
Veteran

kmartin575 smells like sex panther.

Pace, Jones, and Ogden are all great but none of them compare Roaf. I have seen each of them struggle with certain players. Freeney gave Ogden fits, for example. Roaf completely dominated any DE he went up against.

People give the Chiefs defense crap for the 2003 playoff loss where they didn't force a single punt. What they always fail to mention is that the Chiefs did not punt either. A big part of that is that Roaf completely dominated Dwight Freeney. Freeney and Mathis were complete non-factors against Roaf and Tait.

IMO the line of Roaf-Waters-Wiegmann-Shields-Tait was the best of all time.
kmartin575 is offline   Reply With Quote