Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:28 PM    (permalink
reese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief49er View Post
yes.

A left-handed thrower, Young was famous for his ability to "scramble" away from the pass rush. He holds the record for most career rushing touchdowns by a quarterback, 43. He is the only quarterback in NFL history to have four consecutive seasons with a passer rating of over 100; he also led the league in passer rating those four years, another NFL record. Overall, Young was the NFL's top rated passer in 6 different seasons (1991-1994, 1996-1997), tying a record set by Sammy Baugh.

He has the second-highest single-season passer rating at 112.8 (set in the 1994 season), next to Indianapolis Colts' Peyton Manning, who shattered the mark in 2004 with a record 121.1 QB rating. However, among quarterbacks with at least 1,500 passing attempts, Young's career passer rating of 96.8 is the highest of any quarterback in NFL history. Peyton Manning is second at 94.4; Kurt Warner is third at 93.8. Young's career completion percentage (64.3%) is the fourth-highest ever for qualifying quarterbacks, behind Kurt Warner (65.6%), Chad Pennington (65.1%), and Marc Bulger (64.4%).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Young_(athlete)

http://www.databasefootball.com/play...kid=YOUNGSTE02
those stats u gave really dont mean a whole lot...i mean look at the guys who u mentioned with him...kurt warner...pennington...
Old 06-12-2007, 04:29 PM    (permalink
reese

im not tryin to bash young...i thnk he was good but i dont think he is even close to being one of the best ever
Old 06-12-2007, 04:30 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Young always had Rice, thats my reasoning

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:31 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
yes.

A left-handed thrower, Young was famous for his ability to "scramble" away from the pass rush. He holds the record for most career rushing touchdowns by a quarterback, 43. He is the only quarterback in NFL history to have four consecutive seasons with a passer rating of over 100; he also led the league in passer rating those four years, another NFL record. Overall, Young was the NFL's top rated passer in 6 different seasons (1991-1994, 1996-1997), tying a record set by Sammy Baugh.

He has the second-highest single-season passer rating at 112.8 (set in the 1994 season), next to Indianapolis Colts' Peyton Manning, who shattered the mark in 2004 with a record 121.1 QB rating. However, among quarterbacks with at least 1,500 passing attempts, Young's career passer rating of 96.8 is the highest of any quarterback in NFL history. Peyton Manning is second at 94.4; Kurt Warner is third at 93.8. Young's career completion percentage (64.3%) is the fourth-highest ever for qualifying quarterbacks, behind Kurt Warner (65.6%), Chad Pennington (65.1%), and Marc Bulger (64.4%).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Young_(athlete)

http://www.databasefootball.com/play...kid=YOUNGSTE02
I don't know where to start. To be honest I prefer people saying Peyton Manning is the best QB of all time. We could start by looking at Young's supporting cast and saying that was a reason for his lofty numbers. We could then draw from that, then his numbers aren't an overwhelingly accurate depiction of the quarterback he is, even though he is quite a good quarterback.

He was certainly not a good QB before going to San Fransisco, he was abysmal in Tampa Bay... 3 W 16 L, posting a whopping 21 interceptions and just 11 TD's. Then to top it off his completion percentage hovered at 55%.

He wasn't a fulltime starter, granted he was playing behind Montana, until his 8th season, giving him only a seven year career, with one of the best supporting casts a QB could ask for. In addition he had many injury problems and only was a starter for every game twice in his career.

Finally, you could look at some of the other QBs in the stats you used. Chad Pennington, Marc Bulger, Kurt Warner? Those guys are good QBs but the fact that they are up there with him shows its not as meaningful a stat as one could hope for.

That being said he was a HOF QB and a great QB at that, but G.O.A.T at QB? Hell no.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:31 PM    (permalink
Chief49er
Rookie

Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
Young always had Rice, thats my reasoning
maybe Rice always had Montana and Young.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:42 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Or you just got caught being a homer...Young isnt the best QB in 49er history.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:51 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And Rich Gannon too?

Not likely considering he was good in Oakland at an old age

Old 06-12-2007, 04:55 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

Okay I'll change it to 60...which means that the next vote could be the deciding factor

Old 06-12-2007, 04:55 PM    (permalink
reese

whats the score
Old 06-12-2007, 04:56 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by reese View Post
whats the score
Montana-59
Elway-58
Unitas-44
Marino-40
Favre-18
Young-4
Manning-4
Baugh-3
Staubach-2
Fran Tarkenton-1
Brady-1

When someone reaches 60, voting will stop

Old 06-12-2007, 05:08 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1 - Elway
2 - Unitas
3 - Montana
4 - Marino
Old 06-12-2007, 05:09 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1- Montana
2- Unitas
3- Marino
4- Young (not really, Elway and Favre are above him and Peyton will be also but I just love Young. But this thing is over now anyway so I'm sticking with Stevie.)
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:12 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee View Post
1- Montana
2- Unitas
3- Marino
4- Young (not really, Elway and Favre are above him and Peyton will be also but I just love Young. But this thing is over now anyway so I'm sticking with Stevie.)
voting techniculy(ooo terrible spelling) ended w/ TACKLE, so this vote is void

FINAL:
1st Team QB: Elway, by one point
2nd Team: Montana
3rd Team: Unitas
4th Team: Marino
Honorable Mention: Favre, Manning, Baugh, Tarkenton, Young, Brady

Old 06-12-2007, 05:15 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
voting techniculy(ooo terrible spelling) ended w/ TACKLE, so this vote is void
Yeah I saw that. Ah well, Elway is a great choice, even if I had him low on my list.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:16 PM    (permalink
reese

i try to not hate montana but stuff like this doesnt help...

what position is next?
Old 06-12-2007, 05:17 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

Next is HB's and FB's, not to be bunched together though, keep i mind Jim Brown was a FB

HB's:
1-Walter Payton
2-Ladannian Tomlinson
3-Barry Sanders
4-Paul Hornung

FB's:
1-Jim Brown
2-Larry Csonka
3-Lorenzo Neal
4-Ernie Nevers

Last edited by neko4 : 06-12-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:20 PM    (permalink
reese

1. barry sanders

2. walter payton
3. ladanian tomlinson
4. gale sayers
Old 06-12-2007, 05:24 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Hm, Jim Brown being a FB, then I would say...

HB
1-Walter Payton
2-Barry Sanders
3-Gale Sayers
4-LaDainain Tomlinson

FB
1- Jim Brown
2- Bronko Nagurski
3- Larry Csonka
4- Jim Taylor

*Edit* Yes, its hypocritical of me to get angered at people saying Peyton Manning is the best QB of all time, then say LT is a top 5 RB (5th, with Jim Brown at #1). My only reasoning is that his career in terms of being in his prime is closer to being over, and his production is on pace with the greats, and he has established many longstanding records, that were thought wouldn't be broken. And I'm a homer. Shoot me.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:27 PM    (permalink
broncs2bowl

HB:
1) Barry Sanders
2) Walter Payton
3) Eric Dickerson
4) Terrell Davis

just for the heck of it, QB: 1) Elway, 2) Montana, 3) Marino, 4) Manning
Old 06-12-2007, 05:30 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncs2bowl View Post
HB:
1) Barry Sanders
2) Walter Payton
3) Eric Dickerson
4) Terrell Davis

just for the heck of it, QB: 1) Elway, 2) Montana, 3) Marino, 4) Manning
I think the voting for top four decoys of all time is next :p
Old 06-12-2007, 05:42 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

HB
1 - Walter Payton
2 - Barry Sanders
3 - Gale Sayers
4 - OJ Simpson

FB
1 - Jim Brown (Not even worth mentioning anyone else)
Old 06-12-2007, 05:43 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1)Barry Sanders
2)Walter Payton
3)Earl Campbell
4)Emmit Smith

FB
1) Jim Brown
2)Marion Motley
3)Jim Taylor
4)Bronco Nagurski

Marion Motley not listed on a list of greatest fullbacks is completely flawed. That is like making a list of greatest centers(basketball) and leaving off George Mikan.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:48 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447 View Post
1)Barry Sanders
2)Walter Payton
3)Earl Campbell
4)Emmit Smith

FB
1) Jim Brown
2)Marion Motley
3)Jim Taylor
4)Bronco Nagurski

Marion Motley not listed on a list of greatest fullbacks is completely flawed. That is like making a list of greatest centers(basketball) and leaving off George Mikan.
I'm not going to lie I don't know a lot about Motley. I know a good deal about football's history and all that, but I don't know much about Motley. From what I read on his hall of fame bio at least he looks like he belongs in the rankings, I'm going to stand by what I have though, just because I know more about those players.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:51 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
I'm not going to lie I don't know a lot about Motley. I know a good deal about football's history and all that, but I don't know much about Motley. From what I read on his hall of fame bio at least he looks like he belongs in the rankings, I'm going to stand by what I have though, just because I know more about those players.
Same here, I heard his name before but other than that not much. Im still suprised that Im the only one to vote for Nevers

Old 06-12-2007, 05:55 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

HB Race so far:
Payton- 20
Sanders- 20
LT- 6
Sayers- 6
Dickerson- 2
Campbell- 2
Hornung- 1
T. Davis- 1
OJ- 1
E. Smith- 1

FB: