Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:23 PM    (permalink
steelernation77
Veteran

steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.
Default Scott's Steeler Review

I wasn't a big fan of Scott's review. In my opinion he put too much emphasis on a switch to a 4-3, which with everything that's coming out about the new schemes being put together, I don't think is going to happen anytime soon. Yes the players that we drafted were versatile, but players drafted for a 3-4 usually are. 3-4 OLBs are often capable of playing 4-3 DE and the same goes for 3-4 DE, which can play 4-3 DT. I do think that we're doing some new things on defense, but as of now all signs are pointing to a hybrid D that employs many different schemes. I think that's why LeBeau is hanging around. He's drawing up plays for this new defense and installing it for the next couple years so that when he leaves, he leaves behind a new creation that's put in place and that Keith Butler will be comfortable with so that he knows it well when he assumes the D coordinator position.
steelernation77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:59 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everyone assumes were switching to a 4-3 defense just because of Tomlin. But when you look at the news coming out it looks like we will be creating an entirely new defense not just switching to a 4-3 tampa 2 base.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:20 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

its going to be the 3-4 cover 2
Old 06-12-2007, 08:14 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We already ran a Cover 2 at times last year. Its just a coverage not an entire defene.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:30 PM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

Man_Of_Steel hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
We already ran a Cover 2 at times last year. Its just a coverage not an entire defene.
I think you think the cover 2 only affects the defensive backs. It affects everyone. The cover 2 IS an entire defense, everyones assignments and spots change, including the linebacks, more so middle linebackers.

Last edited by Man_Of_Steel : 06-12-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Man_Of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:39 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

nah plus u know we got a new scheme in the 1-2-4-4
Old 06-13-2007, 12:16 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
its going to be the 3-4 cover 2
When we played cover 2, it was in Nickel/Dime defenses..

They were in our 4-1-6 defense.

It's really not feasible for us to run a 3-4 cover 2. It's do-able, but we don't have the personnel.

In fact, I think the 3-4 Cover 2 would require such a great defensive grouping that Baltimore had the only chance to run it successfully, when they had AD.

What we'll be doing, is running a hybrid 3-4/4-3. You'll see a 4-3 lineup, but Keisel will drop in coverage and Woodley will rush the passer..

Bhaarat,

That 1-2-4-4 defense isn't a base defense, and will only be used on occasion.

And Lastly. I hate when people do mock drafts, draft reviews, or season previews, and constantly say that we'll have issues running our "Innevitable" 4-3... We don't spend much time in it, but it will be seen.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:40 AM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i like his assessment of the guys because no matter which way we go, it looks like a great group of guys. i'm excited about this.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:09 AM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know this may sound crazy...but I think lebeau is on a short leash this year.

If all these new fangled defenses fail I think Tomlin will want to employ the Tampa 2 in the near future perhaps next year if Lebeau is gone

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:18 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

yeah that seems right if his crazy D schemes dont work out change is comming
Old 06-20-2007, 09:54 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We are switching, the draft did make that evident that our defense will slowly change. I thought Scott's review was pretty much on, though I am lower on Timmons than most.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man_Of_Steel View Post
I think you think the cover 2 only affects the defensive backs. It affects everyone. The cover 2 IS an entire defense, everyones assignments and spots change, including the linebacks, more so middle linebackers.
Cover 2 is not a formation though. You can run a 3-4 cover 2 or a 4-3 cover 2. We ran a cover 2 a good bit last year with Smith/Clark and Polamalu as the deep cover guys.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:27 PM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Cover 2 is not a formation though. You can run a 3-4 cover 2 or a 4-3 cover 2. We ran a cover 2 a good bit last year with Smith/Clark and Polamalu as the deep cover guys.
The Steelers played zone on and off last year, but it wasnt the cover 2.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyStat View Post
I know this may sound crazy...but I think lebeau is on a short leash this year.

If all these new fangled defenses fail I think Tomlin will want to employ the Tampa 2 in the near future perhaps next year if Lebeau is gone
I doubt it.

If anyone knew the extent of Bill Cowhers control over every aspect of the game, you'd realize the fact that LeBeau, Whis, Grimm and so forth never could do anything without his say so. Even Spencer.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man_Of_Steel View Post
The Steelers played zone on and off last year, but it wasnt the cover 2.
We did play some cover 2. I believe it was used mostly during the NO Game in our dime packages... because We didn't have the MLB speed to cover deep so Colston/Copper kept getting open about 15-20 yards down centerfield.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

We also used the Cover 2 against the Chargers. It again failed misserably when Gates got open by beating Foote or Farrior all night.

I think it was used against the Bengals in both meetings aswell.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:47 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
I doubt it.

If anyone knew the extent of Bill Cowhers control over every aspect of the game, you'd realize the fact that LeBeau, Whis, Grimm and so forth never could do anything without his say so. Even Spencer.
exactlly. All the rumors coming out about Cowher looking for a new job indicate that he wants alot of power over how the team is run which goes hand in hand with how he coached here.

And don't get me wrong I love Cowher. But he did have a problem with doing things his way only.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:36 PM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

Quote:
We also used the Cover 2 against the Chargers. It again failed misserably when Gates got open by beating Foote or Farrior all night.

I think it was used against the Bengals in both meetings aswell.
No, it was not the cover 2. Against any team we played that was pass first we played Polamalu inside the first down marker, had Smith/Clark (whoever was in) real deep after the snap and used our third corner along side the FS. The corner could do this because Polamalu would always take the slot reciever if he crossed the middle, if the slot reciever didnt cross the middle polamalu would let him go and played the flats zoning as a rover.

Last edited by Man_Of_Steel : 06-20-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:20 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

how could u possible know that much does NFL network tell u all of that
Old 06-20-2007, 09:31 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
he could actually just watch the game closely

Old 06-20-2007, 09:31 PM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

Quote:
haha, glad to settle this discussion.