Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 07-01-2007, 01:28 AM    (permalink
reese

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
In English please?

The Buckeyes played an awful game without their second best RECEIVER and best returner and if Chris Wells gets that 4th and 1, we're looking at a whole different ball game.
a whole different ball game? come on now. u cant really think that a 4th and 1 changes a whole game. that would have nuthin to do with that fact osu's dbs couldnt run with uf's wrs. there de's had smith runnin for his life. mabe a 1 or 2 touchdown game and then u could say 1 play made a difference but this was a blowout. also the fact that multiple teams have won there respective conferences over the past few years in now way shows that those conferences are as top heavy as the SEC. just becuz 5 different teams won the big 12 doesnt mean all 5 had a shot at it this year. just cuz 7 teams have won the big 10 doesnt mean they all had a chance this year. the point being made was the SEC has alot of teams that can win it every year. in the east fl,ga,tn could have a real shot to win it every year. not to mention sc who is gettin better but not quite there yet. in the west lsu or auburn could get it any year and then this year ark jumps up and wins it...while in other conferences the talent shifts from team to team...its a 2 or MABE 3 team race from year to year rather then a 5-6 team race like the SEC
Old 07-01-2007, 01:53 AM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran

gstock05 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reese View Post
a whole different ball game? come on now. u cant really think that a 4th and 1 changes a whole game. that would have nuthin to do with that fact osu's dbs couldnt run with uf's wrs. there de's had smith runnin for his life. mabe a 1 or 2 touchdown game and then u could say 1 play made a difference but this was a blowout. also the fact that multiple teams have won there respective conferences over the past few years in now way shows that those conferences are as top heavy as the SEC. just becuz 5 different teams won the big 12 doesnt mean all 5 had a shot at it this year. just cuz 7 teams have won the big 10 doesnt mean they all had a chance this year. the point being made was the SEC has alot of teams that can win it every year. in the east fl,ga,tn could have a real shot to win it every year. not to mention sc who is gettin better but not quite there yet. in the west lsu or auburn could get it any year and then this year ark jumps up and wins it...while in other conferences the talent shifts from team to team...its a 2 or MABE 3 team race from year to year rather then a 5-6 team race like the SEC
Yeah, it was all those deep routes that our cornerbacks couldn't catch 4.65 dallas baker on.

For those who watched the game... they actually realize that Tressel got outcoached, and the OSU team wasn't ready to play. OSU played soft zone all game, and got killed by it.

The only time where florida "speed" hurt us was at the defensive end position since our offensive tackles were out of shape. Boone had balooned up to 340 prior to that game.

Not taking anything away from florida, but to say OSU lost because of talent is being ignorant. And to say that OSU couldn't run with florida's receivers is dumber. It's hard to "run" with florida receivers when they're catching the ball 5 steps in front of your defensive backs who are playing 10 yards off the line.
gstock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:57 AM    (permalink
reese

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstock05 View Post
Yeah, it was all those deep routes that our cornerbacks couldn't catch 4.65 dallas baker on.

For those who watched the game... they actually realize that Tressel got outcoached, and the OSU team wasn't ready to play. OSU played soft zone all game, and got killed by it.

The only time where florida "speed" hurt us was at the defensive end position since our offensive tackles were out of shape. Boone had balooned up to 340 prior to that game.

Not taking anything away from florida, but to say OSU lost because of talent is being ignorant. And to say that OSU couldn't run with florida's receivers is dumber. It's hard to "run" with florida receivers when they're catching the ball 5 steps in front of your defensive backs who are playing 10 yards off the line.
the florida team was far more talented. and for those who kno football a big reason to play zone...expecially a soft zone is to make up for lack of speed. funny how u mention florida's slowest starting recievers 40 time but leave out the rest
Old 07-01-2007, 04:01 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes I can really think that a 4th and 1 changes the whole complexion of the game. What was the score at the time of that play? 7-7? 14-7? Say Beanie Wells breaks that yard and Ohio State drives the field and scores. WHOLE NEW BALLGAME whether you like it or not. OSU's D-backs could run with the UF receivers, it's just playing a soft zone was not the way to go. OSU had some good backs, for the first time in a while Jim Tressel was outcoached and I was stunned to see him not make any kind of adjustments at halftime. And I may be one of the biggest anti-Teddy Ginn guys on this board, but you're dumb if you think that injury didn't affect the way the game ended. I think Kirk Barton was on the Antoine Walker diet before this game and OSU's o-line had one of their worst games ever. No way they'd play that badly again.

As far as the conferences go, no you're right, they're not as top-heavy as the SEC. However, one of the points you made is that the Big 10 is "always Ohio State and Michigan" and the Pac-10 is "always USC" which I definitely showed you why it isn't. And your SEC argument as to "everyone has a shot", I sort of beg to differ. Let's start with the Vols. They looked phenomenal in a 10 point loss to an very mediocre Penn State squad, one that OSU manhandled and Michigan physically abused. The 17-10 score in the UM/PSU game was no indication as to how close the game was. No one ever thought PSU had a shot after the first quarter. Georgia lost to Vanderbilt 24-22, a team Michigan smacked 27-7 in a game that was nowhere near that close. I was also impressed with UGA's impressive 14-13 win over mighty Colorado and their loss to powerhouse Kentucky. Also, there's no way in hell you're winning the SEC with a freshman QB. The "up and coming" South Carolina Gamecocks couldn't even score a single point vs. UGA as well.

So really the only two squads that had a legit shot at winning the SEC were the national champs as well as LSU, who for my money probably had the most talented team in the country. Auburn was in the running until their top-notch matchup with UGA where they got smacked around. So roughly two squads had a shot at the SEC title, same as the Michigan. Actually, you could lump Wisconsin in that group too. Now the top of the SEC doesn't seem so heavy anymore does it?
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 04:10 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
the florida team was far more talented. and for those who kno football a big reason to play zone...expecially a soft zone is to make up for lack of speed. funny how u mention florida's slowest starting recievers 40 time but leave out the rest
Your lack of speed argument is a crock of ****. Jim Tressel has always, ALWAYS employed a defense that is zone-heavy. It's been his defensive strategy both at Youngstown State and Ohio State that hasn't changed much throughout his years.

By the way, define how the Florida team was "far" more talented.
QB: Troy Smith vs. Chris Leak= Smith when he isn't running for his life
RB: Antonio Pittman/Beanie Wells vs. um...............DeShawn Wynn?= OSU
WR: Ginn/Gonzalez/Robiskie vs. Baker/Caldwell/Harvin= OSU
OL: I would say OSU has more pure talent, but they had an atrocious game that day. So for the sake of argument give it to UF.
DL: Florida had a hell of a game. Moss and Harvey are both first-rounders and normally I'd give OSU some major props since they will probably have the #1 line in the country, Florida's guys were all over the place. UF.
Secondary: Florida. LOVE Malcolm Jenkins, but the Nelson/Smith combo was sick.
Coaching: Usually a toss-up, but Meyer outcoached Tressel in this one. Give Meyer a slight edge because Tressel usually isn't that bad.

It comes down to executions. Florida made plays and got breaks, and it was just one of those days where everything goes wrong for the Buckeyes.

Wow that last post hurt. I hate Ohio State but your arguments were so dumb I had to say something.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:58 PM    (permalink
reese

Quote:
Yes I can really think that a 4th and 1 changes the whole complexion of the game. What was the score at the time of that play? 7-7? 14-7? Say Beanie Wells breaks that yard and Ohio State drives the field and scores. WHOLE NEW BALLGAME whether you like it or not. OSU's D-backs could run with the UF receivers, it's just playing a soft zone was not the way to go. OSU had some good backs, for the first time in a while Jim Tressel was outcoached and I was stunned to see him not make any kind of adjustments at halftime. And I may be one of the biggest anti-Teddy Ginn guys on this board, but you're dumb if you think that injury didn't affect the way the game ended. I think Kirk Barton was on the Antoine Walker diet before this game and OSU's o-line had one of their worst games ever. No way they'd play that badly again.

As far as the conferences go, no you're right, they're not as top-heavy as the SEC. However, one of the points you made is that the Big 10 is "always Ohio State and Michigan" and the Pac-10 is "always USC" which I definitely showed you why it isn't. And your SEC argument as to "everyone has a shot", I sort of beg to differ. Let's start with the Vols. They looked phenomenal in a 10 point loss to an very mediocre Penn State squad, one that OSU manhandled and Michigan physically abused. The 17-10 score in the UM/PSU game was no indication as to how close the game was. No one ever thought PSU had a shot after the first quarter. Georgia lost to Vanderbilt 24-22, a team Michigan smacked 27-7 in a game that was nowhere near that close. I was also impressed with UGA's impressive 14-13 win over mighty Colorado and their loss to powerhouse Kentucky. Also, there's no way in hell you're winning the SEC with a freshman QB. The "up and coming" South Carolina Gamecocks couldn't even score a single point vs. UGA as well.

So really the only two squads that had a legit shot at winning the SEC were the national champs as well as LSU, who for my money probably had the most talented team in the country. Auburn was in the running until their top-notch matchup with UGA where they got smacked around. So roughly two squads had a shot at the SEC title, same as the Michigan. Actually, you could lump Wisconsin in that group too. Now the top of the SEC doesn't seem so heavy anymore does it?
1. i never said that usc always won the pac 10. i never said osu and michigan always won the big 12. someone else said those not me.

2. despite all the games u pointed out, surely u kno how meaningless it is for u to say well team A barely beat team B so and team C killed team A so that means.... u should kno better then to make such a comparison.

3. u said lsu and florida were the only 2 teams that had a shot at the SEC. did u forget ark? i mean they did play in the SEC championship game. i think that qualifies as a chance to win it. as u said auburn was in the running till the last 2 weeks of the season when they lost to georgia. i think they were ranked no. 5 in the country before that game. and tennessee also wasnt eliminated from the race in the east until 2 weeks to go.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:05 PM    (permalink
LEROY_FROM_YONDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstock05 View Post

jus curious if OSU wasnt worried bout florida's "speed" then why were the 10 yards off??..could be jus me but if i dont think the reciever is faster than me im less than 10 yards from him...if i think he might burn me i play further off...go back to your NCAA dynasty an try again

Last edited by LEROY_FROM_YONDER : 07-01-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:12 PM    (permalink
LEROY_FROM_YONDER

Quote:

\ok yeah mayb the fourth an one does change the game so ill give OSU 7 points so now we'll say the score is 41-21 then no doubt not havin ted ginn did change it up also so ill give you another 7 points for that so now were at 41-28..tressel was very outcoached by a head coach that was in his first in a big time conference..also i said any given year any of those 6 teams could win the SEC i didnt say this past year any of those 6 could an to say you cant win the SEC with a freshman QB is dumb wat...you really think florida wouldve gotten to where they did without tebow??
Old 07-01-2007, 01:20 PM    (permalink
benchod
Rookie

benchod is a cocksman.benchod is a cocksman.benchod is a cocksman.benchod is a cocksman.

Quote:
1. i never said that usc always won the pac 10. i never said osu and michigan always won the big 12. someone else said those not me.

2. despite all the games u pointed out, surely u kno how meaningless it is for u to say well team A barely beat team B so and team C killed team A so that means.... u should kno better then to make such a comparison.

3. u said lsu and florida were the only 2 teams that had a shot at the SEC. did u forget ark? i mean they did play in the SEC championship game. i think that qualifies as a chance to win it. as u said auburn was in the running till the last 2 weeks of the season when they lost to georgia. i think they were ranked no. 5 in the country before that game. and tennessee also wasnt eliminated from the race in the east until 2 weeks to go.
I saw a lot of Arkansas games this year and you seriously believe that a team with Casey Dick leading them had a chance to win? The McFadden/Jones duo was amazing, and that defense was sick, but we're talking about Casey Dick here. They beat an Auburn team that somehow was still recovering from the LSU game and an underachieving Tennessee team. That team has more questions coming into this season than Alabama, and that's a lot.

Now I'll give you the SEC isn't a 1 or 2 team race like some of the other conferences, but the teams that are serious contenders are essentially Auburn, LSU, and Florida with Georgia and another team being right on the cusp.
benchod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:21 PM    (permalink
LEROY_FROM_YONDER

Quote:
Your lack of speed argument is a crock of ****. Jim Tressel has always, ALWAYS employed a defense that is zone-heavy. It's been his defensive strategy both at Youngstown State and Ohio State that hasn't changed much throughout his years.

By the way, define how the Florida team was "far" more talented.
QB: Troy Smith vs. Chris Leak= Smith when he isn't running for his life
RB: Antonio Pittman/Beanie Wells vs. um...............DeShawn Wynn?= OSU
WR: Ginn/Gonzalez/Robiskie vs. Baker/Caldwell/Harvin= OSU
OL: I would say OSU has more pure talent, but they had an atrocious game that day. So for the sake of argument give it to UF.
DL: Florida had a hell of a game. Moss and Harvey are both first-rounders and normally I'd give OSU some major props since they will probably have the #1 line in the country, Florida's guys were all over the place. UF.
Secondary: Florida. LOVE Malcolm Jenkins, but the Nelson/Smith combo was sick.
Coaching: Usually a toss-up, but Meyer outcoached Tressel in this one. Give Meyer a slight edge because Tressel usually isn't that bad.

It comes down to executions. Florida made plays and got breaks, and it was just one of those days where everything goes wrong for the Buckeyes.

Wow that last post hurt. I hate Ohio State but your arguments were so dumb I had to say something.
mayb if wynn got the ball as much as pittman or played in the weaker conference he wouldve had better stats...i like antonio pittman but floridas runnin game overall was better
Old 07-01-2007, 01:22 PM    (permalink
reese

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchod View Post
I saw a lot of Arkansas games this year and you seriously believe that a team with Casey Dick leading them had a chance to win? The McFadden/Jones duo was amazing, and that defense was sick, but we're talking about Casey Dick here. They beat an Auburn team that somehow was still recovering from the LSU game and an underachieving Tennessee team. That team has more questions coming into this season than Alabama, and that's a lot.

Now I'll give you the SEC isn't a 1 or 2 team race like some of the other conferences, but the teams that are serious contenders are essentially Auburn, LSU, and Florida with Georgia and another team being right on the cusp.
i think casey dick is terrible. i was just talkin about how much he sucked a couple days ago. but arkansas did PLAY IN THE SEC CHAMPIONSHIP. so yes they had a chance to win it. they were in the west with auburn and lsu and still made it to the sec championship...even with casey dick/mustain
Old 07-01-2007, 01:31 PM    (permalink
LEROY_FROM_YONDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchod View Post

casey dick...well he sucked..they shoulda kept mustain in thats not arguement there from me...but if you saw alot of the games thenyou know they didnt win because of him so he becomes a non factor why even bring him up??
Old 07-01-2007, 01:47 PM    (permalink
LEROY_FROM_YONDER

Quote:
In English please?

From what I could decipher, Ohio State had a bad national title game, there's no denying that. I'm pretty sure Ohio State could beat Lakeland High considering they ran show in the Big 10. Glad to see one bowl game makes people forget about the first 12 again. Michigan beat Wisconsin by 2 touchdowns who beat your darling SEC squad Arkansas, so to call them overrated is a stretch. Michigan lost to Ohio State by 3 points. Do you really think that Florida would beat Ohio State 41-14 or whatever the hell it was every single time? No. The Buckeyes played an awful game without their second best RECEIVER and best returner and if Chris Wells gets that 4th and 1, we're looking at a whole different ball game. I also don't think the OSU O-line could play a worse game the next time around if they tried to. The SEC is the best conference in the country, there's no doubting this. However, let's not make every team in there out to be the second coming of the '72 Dolphins. By the way Arkansas has not won the SEC since 1989 so I wouldn't throw them in the discussion. Oh and since 1999 7 Big 10 teams have won at least a share of the conference title, so there goes another point.

By comparison, in that same time period 5 different teams (Nebraska, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Texas and Colorado) have won the Big 12 title, making another one of your points irrelevant. As far as the Pac-10 goes, 7 different teams have held at least a share of the conference title. Please try not to be so uneducated when posting something.
hmmm thats funny considerin ARK wasnt even in the SEC in 1989 an by the way AL won it that year...ARK wasnt even brought into the SEC till 1992 along with SC...so your pretty much not allowed to talk
Old 07-01-2007, 01:55 PM    (permalink
LEROY_FROM_YONDER

im also curious who were the 7 teams from the big 10 to have a share since 99...im not disputing this statement i jus wanna know who they are is all
Old 07-01-2007, 02:11 PM    (permalink
LEROY_FROM_YONDER

oh an jus a lil FYI............
since 92-present
FL has played in 8 SEC championship game......TENN has been in 4......GA has been in 3.....ALA has been in 5....ARK has been in 3....LSU has been in 3....AUB has been in 3.....MISS ST has been in 1......so jus sayin the 6 teams i mentioned earlier pretty much are the ones competin in the SEC

MISS ST mustve had a fluke year the year they went...i know they suck an im not sayin they deserved to be mentioned in the arugment....they suck i know so dont bring it up

Last edited by LEROY_FROM_YONDER : 07-01-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:02 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEROY_FROM_YONDER View Post
\ok yeah mayb the fourth an one does change the game so ill give OSU 7 points so now we'll say the score is 41-21 then no doubt not havin ted ginn did change it up also so ill give you another 7 points for that so now were at 41-28..tressel was very outcoached by a head coach that was in his first in a big time conference..also i said any given year any of those 6 teams could win the SEC i didnt say this past year any of those 6 could an to say you cant win the SEC with a freshman QB is dumb wat...you really think florida wouldve gotten to where they did without tebow??
But if OSU has the ball for longer that obviously means Florida doesn't have the ball as much, hence they don't score 41. As for your Tebow point, there's no way you win in the SEC with your starting QB as a freshman is what I meant to say. Tebow was nice on his 3rd and 2 situations, but Leak was their STARTING QB and led them to the SEC title.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:04 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:

1. Sorry then, I was caught up in the other points.
2. Yes, you're right. It doesn't mean that much but it's not like the SEC completely blew the doors off of the Big 10 is what I meant.
3. At any time in the SEC title game did you legitimately think Casey Dick was going to win the game for Arkansas? They had something like 5-6 guys throwing passes for them, there was no way they were winning that game, especially with guys like Reggie Fish playing for Florida wearing an Arkansas jersey.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:05 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
hmmm thats funny considerin ARK wasnt even in the SEC in 1989 an by the way AL won it that year...ARK wasnt even brought into the SEC till 1992 along with SC...so your pretty much not allowed to talk
You're right about Arkansas. I was looking at two different things at once. Stop trying to be so e-tough "you're pretty much not allowed to talk". Until you can actually ******* spell properly you're in no position to tell people if they should talk or not. So Arkansas has never won the SEC title then is that correct? So then they wouldn't really be considered an annual contender for the title now would they?
Old 07-01-2007, 08:48 PM    (permalink
LEROY_FROM_YONDER

Quote:
You're right about Arkansas. I was looking at two different things at once. Stop trying to be so e-tough "you're pretty much not allowed to talk". Until you can actually ******* spell properly you're in no position to tell people if they should talk or not. So Arkansas has never won the SEC title then is that correct? So then they wouldn't really be considered an annual contender for the title now would they?

well you can read wat im typin so i must spell jus fine...anyways the point i was makin earlier....

the SEC has many more teams in contention to win the conference title than does the PAC 10 year in an year out
Old 07-01-2007, 09:20 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
well you can read wat im typin so i must spell jus fine...anyways the point i was makin earlier....

the SEC has many more teams in contention to win the conference title than does the PAC 10 year in an year out
Yeah but if the same teams win year in and year out what difference does it make?
Old 07-01-2007, 09:34 PM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Yeah but if the same teams win year in and year out what difference does it make?
That the SEC is far more deeper than any conference NOW, not OVERALL.
Acreboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:44 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreboy View Post
That the SEC is far more deeper than any conference NOW, not OVERALL.
Eh works for me. I don't disagree that the SEC is the best and deepest conference. It's just some people make it seem like the Big 10, Pac 10, ACC etc....might as well be lumped in with the Patriot League and other 1-AA leagues. That is clearly not the case. Say what you want about Ohio State's performance in the NC (it was abysmal) but they were, along with Michigan and Wisconsin, one of the best teams in the country as were Florida (obviously) and LSU, and I would have put Auburn before they lost to Georgia.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:29 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

Mississippi State won the west that year because they were running a dirty program. Once the NCAA started watching them they fell back to reality.

Although they're really starting to come around. They've got a really solid defense. If they could ever find a way to score they may win a few games.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:11 AM    (permalink
LEROY_FROM_YONDER

Quote:
Eh works for me. I don't disagree that the SEC is the best and deepest conference. It's just some people make it seem like the Big 10, Pac 10, ACC etc....might as well be lumped in with the Patriot League and other 1-AA leagues. That is clearly not the case. Say what you want about Ohio State's performance in the NC (it was abysmal) but they were, along with Michigan and Wisconsin, one of the best teams in the country as were Florida (obviously) and LSU, and I would have put Auburn before they lost to Georgia.

i never said those conferences belong in the cellar all i said was they werent as top heavy as the SEC
Old 07-02-2007, 01:14 AM    (permalink
LEROY_FROM_YONDER

Quote:
so auburn had a bad game an your jus gonna throw away their entire season...if im not mistaken didnt AUB beat both FLA an LSU...im jus curious how you would disregard AUB when they were FLA only loss an they beat LSU