Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football > Recruiting

Recruiting Discuss High School Recruiting

Old 06-29-2007, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Jericho@SC
Rookie

Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.
Default Matt Barkley

I know it's early for 2009 recruiting, but I'm really high on QB Matt Barkley (Mater Dei HS, CA).

He's basically another Carson Palmer clone. 6'3, 220, rocket arm. High likelihood that he's the #1 overall Rivals prospect, if not top 10.

Elway and others, is this guy really a USC "lock" as you say he is? We've had luck with Orange County QB's, heck our last QB from Mater Dei HS was named Matt too and he won a Heisman Trophy and a pair of MNC's.

We've got so much talent at the QB position, I really seeing Mark Sanchez, Mustain, and Corp on the depth chart scare him off.

If you guys wanna see a video of this kid, here's a scout.com link

http://usc.scout.com/2/651693.html

Last edited by Jericho@SC : 06-29-2007 at 06:34 PM. Reason: wrong link
Jericho@SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:43 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sanchez he won't have to worry about because by the time his redshirt is off (if he were to pick them) Sanchez will be in the NFL. Corp he might have to worry about, but he is two years older than Barkley. Mustain I wouldn't worry about, he's overrated and I don't think he'll start ever at SC over Corp (but you never know).

It will be an interesting story line going into the 2008 or 2009 Ohio State vs USC games if the Buckeyes get Terrelle Pryor and USC gets Barkley. The top player from 08 and 09 in the same game (though not playing of course).
Old 06-29-2007, 06:58 PM    (permalink
Race for the Heisman
Veteran

Race for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I know there some interest from afar from Ohio State fans but most of us generally agree he's USC lock as soon as they offer. The only way I can see that it might not happen at this point is if he looks at who's in front of him and chooses somewhere else.
Race for the Heisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:04 PM    (permalink
Jericho@SC
Rookie

Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.

If he comes to USC, the years would pan out like this:

After this Year

*Booty Graduates
*Sanchez RS Junior
*Corp RS Freshman
*Mustain RS Sophomore?
*2008 recruiting class (Tyron Smith, Matt Kalil, etc)

After 2008 (Sanchez's year, will have played first of Ohio State home/home)

*Sanchez RS Senior (likely he stays but who knows if he has a big junior year)
*Corp RS Sophomore
*Mustain RS Junior
*2009 recruiting class comes in Presley, hopefully Barkley

After 2009

*Sanchez graduates
*Corp RS Junior
*Mustain RS Senior
*Barkley RS Freshman if he comes, most likely doesn't play in OSU game vs. Pryor.

So I guess that doesn't look too cloudy. Personally, if I had to choose btw Barkley, Corp and Mustain, I'd go with Barkley all the way. But it'll be hard for him to come in and beat out Mustain and Corp after they've had all those years in the system.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:05 PM    (permalink
Jericho@SC
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race for the Heisman View Post
I know there some interest from afar from Ohio State fans but most of us generally agree he's USC lock as soon as they offer. The only way I can see that it might not happen at this point is if he looks at who's in front of him and chooses somewhere else.
Why would OSU fans want a Palmer clone when they have Vince Young 2.0 a year earlier? They're gonna be scaaaarrryy.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:16 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OSU plays USC in 08 and 09 I believe, so Barkley would be a true Freshman in 09 and Pryor a rFR. Neither would start, but they would be on the rosters and certainly be a mini story line. The next Vince Young and the next Carson Palmer on the same field. Maybe (hopefully) Pryor and Barkley would meet in a NC or Rose Bowl in the future though.

(of course that's assuming a lot considering neither is commited nor locks)
Old 06-29-2007, 07:24 PM    (permalink
Race for the Heisman
Veteran

Race for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho@SC View Post
Why would OSU fans want a Palmer clone when they have Vince Young 2.0 a year earlier? They're gonna be scaaaarrryy.
Why would USC want him with what they have? It's the same for everyone. Everyone wants what's best for their team, and there's no such thing as too much talent. Besides, Pryor is hardly an OSU lock at the moment. Maybe a lean, but definitely not a lock.
Race for the Heisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:25 PM    (permalink
Jericho@SC
Rookie

Cool, I just found out from an article that Barkley's dad is an 'SC alum. Go figure.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:27 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

Well that ends the suspense I guess :).
Old 07-13-2007, 01:13 AM    (permalink
Jericho@SC
Rookie

Would any of you guys take Sanchez over Barkley if you had to choose?
Old 07-13-2007, 10:14 AM    (permalink
elway777
All-Pro

elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I would take Sanchez, though both QB's are VERY similiar to each other coming out of high school.
elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:12 PM    (permalink
Axl Rose
Rookie

Axl Rose is a cocksman.Axl Rose is a cocksman.Axl Rose is a cocksman.Axl Rose is a cocksman.Axl Rose is a cocksman.

Quote:
Would any of you guys take Sanchez over Barkley if you had to choose?
I was surprised that USC took Mustain this year, to me that shows that maybe the coaches aren't to confident in Sanchez. That along with the fact that Sanchez has gotten very minimal playing time, and I remember hearing rumors hes had trouble understanding the SC offense. So I would take Barkley cause supposedly hes a lot more mentally equipped, though physically he looks like he needs a lot of work.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:08 PM    (permalink
Jericho@SC
Rookie

I find it hard to believe that Sanchez is having trouble understanding the USC offense. That's where he excels most -the cerebral aspect of QB play. He was very well coached by QB Guru Bob Johnson throughout high school.

The reason Sanchez has gotten minimal playing time is because last season most of USC's games were very close with few blowouts that allowed for 2nd team action.

Why did SC take Mustain? I think it's for the simple fact that you can't turn away that kind of talent when it comes knocking at your doorstep. What are they gonna do? Make him pay his way through 'SC? Not let him join the team?

I kinda wish that Mustain did choose another school instead of 'SC because 5 scholarship QB's is a little excessive (it's like having 10 RBs). But hey, what are you gonna do?

I've seen both Sanchez and Mustain throw the ball. They've both great but I personally like Sanchez's spiral and mechanics better. He'll have more years in the system than Mustain, so I have every confidence he'll be the guy in '09.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:30 PM    (permalink
elway777
All-Pro

elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

For future reference Axl, don't post opinions gathered about SC from the Crying Irish boards.
elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:16 PM    (permalink
Axl Rose
Rookie

Axl Rose is a cocksman.Axl Rose is a cocksman.Axl Rose is a cocksman.Axl Rose is a cocksman.Axl Rose is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elway777 View Post
For future reference Axl, don't post opinions gathered about SC from the Crying Irish boards.
Actually Elway, I have heard several sources questioning how Sanchez was coming along Like Mike Farrell http://www.sportingnews.com/experts/...og/870403.html. Maybe SC should have tried keeping him quiet by paying him off :)
Old 07-19-2007, 12:19 AM    (permalink
Jericho@SC
Rookie

Apparently, Matt might commit sometime soon according to a scout.com.

Insider link
http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=2&...%2f659277.html
Old 07-19-2007, 12:33 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rose View Post
I was surprised that USC took Mustain this year, to me that shows that maybe the coaches aren't to confident in Sanchez.
Or it means that in typical USC fashion the more studs you can have the better it is????? I mean, does the Dayne Crist commit mean that Irish have no faith in Jimmy Clausen? USC loves its depth and they are damn good at getting it.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:22 PM    (permalink
V. Young
Rookie

V. Young hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Where do you find these 2009 guys?
V. Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:19 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V. Young View Post
Where do you find these 2009 guys?
Rivals.com just put out their 100 to watch for 2009.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=703857
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:30 PM    (permalink
V. Young
Rookie

V. Young hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Cool thanks man.
V. Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:46 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
to be honest id rather have a palmer clone over the second comin of vince young anyday and id wait that extra year too
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:24 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619 View Post
to be honest id rather have a palmer clone over the second comin of vince young anyday and id wait that extra year too

That's certainly a nice problem to have. "Do I want Vince Young, or do I want Carson Palmer?" If I were a Buckeyes fan,I'd take Pryor, because he seems like a more likely choice to actually end up there. Barkley would be a crapshoot.
mqtirishfan is offline   Reply With Quote