Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 07-11-2007, 08:56 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I see Michigan losing to Oregon and Wisconsin this season. The game that will dictate their position in the conference will the Ohio State game. Personally, I think Michigan is without a doubt better than the Ohio State University but Llyod Carr kinda hid in a shell in those big two games at the end of last season, and last year they had more talent so I don't have anything that should make me think otherwise. With the Badgers I expect them to beat Michigan at home b/c Michigan will have a great offense and the Badgers will have a great defense, but the Badgers offense is definitely stronger than Michigan's inexperienced and young defense. The only two games that really concern me with the Badgers are the games at Illinois and at Ohio State. Illinois has alot of athletes and they gave the Badgers problems last year at Camp Randall. Ohio State, although they lost alot on their offense, still is Ohio State and the game is at the Horseshoe so anything could happen.

The Badgers will run the table and have eight wins in conference and Michigan will lose their only game to the badgers yielding seven wins.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:34 PM    (permalink
cardsalltheway
Veteran

cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
I see it ending up something like this

1. Michigan
2. Wisconsin
3. Ohio State
4. Iowa (easy schedule)
5. Penn State
6. Purdue
7. Northwestern
8. Minnesota
9. Illinois
10. Indiana
11. Michigan State
An easy schedule gets Iowa to 4th in the Big Ten but IU only finishes 10th with the 4th easiest schedule in the nation?

Designs by D-Unit

ILEMTPKC - I Love Eli Manning <The Patriots Killer> Club
cardsalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:36 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsalltheway View Post
An easy schedule gets Iowa to 4th in the Big Ten but IU only finishes 10th with the 4th easiest schedule in the nation?

Yes, because Iowa is good and Indiana isnt very good.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:41 PM    (permalink
cardsalltheway
Veteran

cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
Yes, because Iowa is good and Indiana isnt very good.
How much of IU have you watched recently? They showed a ton of promise last year, finishing one win short of a bowl berth after sucking it up with Blake Powers at QB in part of non-conference and started the 2nd most freshman in the NCAA, six of which were named to the Freshman All-Big Ten team. Kellen Lewis is one of the biggest playmakers in the league and will only improve in his 2nd year with the offense. James Hardy is a top two reciever and Marcus Thigpen is the best return man in the nation. The defense is young and improving but the firepower of the offense alone is good enough for at least 6 wins with the schedule they've been given. The loss of Hep will hurt obviously, but it could also provide motivation to the team.

Designs by D-Unit

Old 07-11-2007, 09:54 PM    (permalink
BrownsTown
All-Pro

BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsalltheway View Post
How much of IU have you watched recently? They showed a ton of promise last year, finishing one win short of a bowl berth after sucking it up with Blake Powers at QB in part of non-conference and started the 2nd most freshman in the NCAA, six of which were named to the Freshman All-Big Ten team. Kellen Lewis is one of the biggest playmakers in the league and will only improve in his 2nd year with the offense. James Hardy is a top two reciever and Marcus Thigpen is the best return man in the nation. The defense is young and improving but the firepower of the offense alone is good enough for at least 6 wins with the schedule they've been given. The loss of Hep will hurt obviously, but it could also provide motivation to the team.
Seriously. Indiana is one of the big sleepers of this year. Hardy is an absolute beast.
BrownsTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
I see Michigan losing to Oregon and Wisconsin this season. The game that will dictate their position in the conference will the Ohio State game. Personally, I think Michigan is without a doubt better than the Ohio State University but Llyod Carr kinda hid in a shell in those big two games at the end of last season, and last year they had more talent so I don't have anything that should make me think otherwise. With the Badgers I expect them to beat Michigan at home b/c Michigan will have a great offense and the Badgers will have a great defense, but the Badgers offense is definitely stronger than Michigan's inexperienced and young defense. The only two games that really concern me with the Badgers are the games at Illinois and at Ohio State. Illinois has alot of athletes and they gave the Badgers problems last year at Camp Randall. Ohio State, although they lost alot on their offense, still is Ohio State and the game is at the Horseshoe so anything could happen.

The Badgers will run the table and have eight wins in conference and Michigan will lose their only game to the badgers yielding seven wins.

Yeah I really don't see us losing to Oregon, but that's just me. I don't expect a loss to Wisconsin either but I wouldn't be shocked. It's just tough to win the Big 10 with a new QB and anytime you lose Joe Thomas, I'm pretty sure that's not good. I think Wisconsin is highly overrated. They played almost no one last year and lost by 2 touchdowns to Michigan. They're good, but not amazing like everyone is trying to make them out to be.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:12 AM    (permalink
coCANES17
Rookie

coCANES17 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

1st Team/2nd Team
QB - Chad Henne Michigan/Curtis Painter Purdue
RB - Chris Wells Ohio State/Mike Hart Michigan
RB - PJ Hill Wisconsin/Rashard Mendenhall Illionis
WR - Mario Manningham Michigan/Dorien Bryant Purdue
WR - James Hardy Indiana/Dominique Douglas Iowa
WR - Derrick Williams Penn State/Selwyn Lymon Purdue
TE - Travis Beckum Wisconsin/Andrew Quarless Penn State
OL - Jake Long Michigan/Rafael Eubanks Iowa
OL - Kirk Barton Ohio State/Kraig Urbik Wisconsin
OL - Alex Boone Ohio State/Eriv Vanden Heuvel Wisconsin
OL - Dace Richardson Iowa/Tony Brinkhaus Minnesota
OL - Jordan Grimes Purdue/Andy Kemp Wisconsin

DL - Vernon Gholston Ohio State/Mitch King Iowa
DL - Kenny Iwebema Iowa/Wiillie VanDeSteeg Minnesota
DL - Terrance Taylor Michigan/Nick Hayden Wisconsin
DL - Matt Shuaghnessy Wisconsin/Cliff Avril Purdue
LB - James Laurinitis Ohio State/Sean Lee Penn State
LB - Dan Connor Penn State/Marcus Freeman Ohio State
LB - J Leman Illinois/Mike Klinkenborg Iowa
DB- Justin King Penn State/Vontae Davis Illinois
DB - Malcom Jenkins Ohio State/Brandon Warren Michigan
DB - Jack Ikegwuonu Wisconsin/Anthony Scirroto Penn State
DB - Otis Wiley Michigan State/Nehemiah Warrick Michigan State

Standings
1. Michigan Wolverines
2. Wisconsin Badgers
3. Penn State Nittany Lions
4. Purdue Boilermakers
5. Ohio State Buckeyes
6. Northwestern Wildcats
7. Illionois Fighting Illini
8. Iowa Hawkeyes
9. Indiana Hoosiers
10. Michigan State Spartans
11. Minnesota Gophers
Old 07-12-2007, 01:26 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coCANES17 View Post
1st Team/2nd Team
QB - Chad Henne Michigan/Curtis Painter Purdue
RB - Chris Wells Ohio State/Mike Hart Michigan
RB - PJ Hill Wisconsin/Rashard Mendenhall Illionis
WR - Mario Manningham Michigan/Dorien Bryant Purdue
WR - James Hardy Indiana/Dominique Douglas Iowa
WR - Derrick Williams Penn State/Selwyn Lymon Purdue
TE - Travis Beckum Wisconsin/Andrew Quarless Penn State
OL - Jake Long Michigan/Rafael Eubanks Iowa
OL - Kirk Barton Ohio State/Kraig Urbik Wisconsin
OL - Alex Boone Ohio State/Eriv Vanden Heuvel Wisconsin
OL - Dace Richardson Iowa/Tony Brinkhaus Minnesota
OL - Jordan Grimes Purdue/Andy Kemp Wisconsin

DL - Vernon Gholston Ohio State/Mitch King Iowa
DL - Kenny Iwebema Iowa/Wiillie VanDeSteeg Minnesota
DL - Terrance Taylor Michigan/Nick Hayden Wisconsin
DL - Matt Shuaghnessy Wisconsin/Cliff Avril Purdue
LB - James Laurinitis Ohio State/Sean Lee Penn State
LB - Dan Connor Penn State/Marcus Freeman Ohio State
LB - J Leman Illinois/Mike Klinkenborg Iowa
DB- Justin King Penn State/Vontae Davis Illinois
DB - Malcom Jenkins Ohio State/Brandon Warren Michigan
DB - Jack Ikegwuonu Wisconsin/Anthony Scirroto Penn State
DB - Otis Wiley Michigan State/Nehemiah Warrick Michigan State

Standings
1. Michigan Wolverines
2. Wisconsin Badgers
3. Penn State Nittany Lions
4. Purdue Boilermakers
5. Ohio State Buckeyes
6. Northwestern Wildcats
7. Illionois Fighting Illini
8. Iowa Hawkeyes
9. Indiana Hoosiers
10. Michigan State Spartans
11. Minnesota Gophers
RB: I want to know how you can possibly explain putting Wells ahead of Hart considering what Hart has done and Wells hasn't even started yet?

WR: And how if you're going to put a PSU WR on there why not someone who's actually produced? I also assume Adrian Arrington doesn't play anymore for Michigan if he can't crack the top 6. Did he graduate?

OL: No love for Adam Kraus?

LB: Love that Marcus Freeman pick. He looks very good.

DB: It's Donovan Warren, not Brandon just FYI. I wouldn't put a frosh on there pre-season, but it's your list so have at it. If you're gonna put a Michigan DB on there it has to be Morgan Trent! ;) just kidding. Jamar Adams could work.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:28 PM    (permalink
CARDIAC CAT 7
Rookie

CARDIAC CAT 7 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
Yeah I really don't see us losing to Oregon, but that's just me. I don't expect a loss to Wisconsin either but I wouldn't be shocked. It's just tough to win the Big 10 with a new QB and anytime you lose Joe Thomas, I'm pretty sure that's not good. I think Wisconsin is highly overrated. They played almost no one last year and lost by 2 touchdowns to Michigan. They're good, but not amazing like everyone is trying to make them out to be.
You justed named the only 2 starters on the offense that left, when big time players leave new ones fill their shoes, thats the way it goes. As for Donovan , Stocco getting hurt last year gave him a test of the college game , he got some quality minutes with the team thats currently in place. I am going to go out on a limb here and say that Joe Thomas will not be the last O-Lineman drafted in the first round from Wisconsin, Wisconsin is a factory when it comes ot O-Lineman, They get one drafted almost every year. Wisconsin is overatted every year but some how they always beat peoples expectations, doesnt make much sense but its true.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:29 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDIAC CAT 7 View Post
You justed named the only 2 starters on the offense that left, when big time players leave new ones fill their shoes, thats the way it goes. As for Donovan , Stocco getting hurt last year gave him a test of the college game , he got some quality minutes with the team thats currently in place. I am going to go out on a limb here and say that Joe Thomas will not be the last O-Lineman drafted in the first round from Wisconsin, Wisconsin is a factory when it comes ot O-Lineman, They get one drafted almost every year. Wisconsin is overatted every year but some how they always beat peoples expectations, doesnt make much sense but its true.
Yeah but you don't get better at one of the most critical spots on the field by losing the #3 pick, sorry.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:14 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
At QB Donavan played some time last year and played better than Stocco did when Stocco was healthy, and Thomas will be a big time loss but the Badgers have a great surplus of depth on the offensive line so it shouldn't be too bad there. The loss to Michigan last year was at the Big House and against a VERY good Michigan team that has lost their entire defense. The Badgers have the 18 returning starters and they will only get better. Remember they beat a very versatile Arkansas offense 17-14 in last January's Capital One Bowl.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:57 AM    (permalink
ThEvIcTR
Rookie

ThEvIcTR hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

By versatile you mean how many times Arkansas can get the ball into McFadden's hands right? I don't recall them having a stunning air attack.

Thanks to Gang Green for the SIG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpbXXPOgR2w
ThEvIcTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:43 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownsTown View Post
Seriously. Indiana is one of the big sleepers of this year. Hardy is an absolute beast.

Thank you. I was wondering if he would get mention other than that list from the magazine.

Kellen Lewis is going to really progress this season and will be making plays everywhere. He played pretty smart for a freshman, and made plays in big games for us.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:10 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn View Post
Thank you. I was wondering if he would get mention other than that list from the magazine.

Kellen Lewis is going to really progress this season and will be making plays everywhere. He played pretty smart for a freshman, and made plays in big games for us.
You mean like how I put James Hardy as the second wideout on my team right.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:12 PM    (permalink
cardsalltheway
Veteran

Quote:
You mean like how I put James Hardy as the second wideout on my team right.
Second doesn't do him justice :P

Designs by D-Unit

Old 07-16-2007, 08:46 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Last year we were 12-1, and tied for 2nd place in the Big Ten. We should/would have been in a BCS bowl had it not been for the 2 teams per conference rule. So we go to the Capitol One Bowl, the biggest non BCS bowl, and beat a top SEC team in Arkansas. We did that with a rookie head coach, and in a year when we were picked to finish in the bottom half of the conference. I don't see Stocco as a huge loss. He knew what he had to do and he executed it effectively. That's all, he wasn't anything special. We should be able to replace him with out a drop off, if anything it'd be an improvement. Now losing Joe Thomas certainly hurts. Losing a player of that level will hurt any team. Wisconsin is a school that turns out offensive lineman though. We'll get someone decent. Will he be as good as Thomas? no, not close, but it won't destroy our offense.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:02 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I also think Wisconsin wins the Big Ten this year, with Michigan coming in at a close second.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:34 PM    (permalink
Newbs24
Rookie

Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.

Madison scares the hell out of me as a Michigan fan. The last time we went there it was a dog fight. I expect the same this year. I think our Senior leadership on offense will be a huge advantage. Our D will be warmed up by them and ready to try and stop Hill. That kid is a monster. Wiscy's OLine is always strong. Beckum is good. I think it is gonna be a great year of football this year in the Big Ten. Wiscy is the team that seems to be the national pick to win the Big Ten this year. I hear alot of people jumping on their bandwagon. Can't wait til August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermario86 View Post
Stanton will be a pro bowler his 5th year book it.
Newbs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:14 PM    (permalink
OhioState
Veteran

OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I just bought my Beanie Wells Jersey and can't wait to see him start it up. Oh and one more thing, you guys will be respecting Marcus Freeman alot more after this season, count on it.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:03 AM    (permalink
bengalbuck
Rookie

bengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

1. Wisconsin- I thin that Wisconsin is the best overall team in the Big 10. The D will be very good, probably the best in the league. The offense should be strong too. I like Beckum a lot. PJ Hill to me isn't a special back, but fits what Wisconsin does and with their very good OL should put together another big year.

I think Wisconsin's only loss will be at OSU. The Buckeyes have only lost 2 home games in the last 5 years. One was a narrow loss to Vince Young and Texas and the other was to Wisconsin. The Buckeyes don't lose at home often and after struggling a bit with Wisconsin lately, both the team and the crowd will be ready, especially since this is by far the biggest game in Columbus this year.

1. Ohio State- There would have been the potential for the Buckeyes to struggle a bit early, but thier schedule is so easy, they should pretty much walk to 8-0. By game 9, the schedule gets difficult, but the new youngsters will have had time to develop.

On defense, the Buckeyes lost a decent amount of players, but none of them were stars and none were taken in the top 96 picks of the draft. There were so many FR and SO who started or played a lot on D last year that will all be back and improved this year. The secondary was a weakness last year, but 3 talented FR (Washington, Russell, Coleman) played a ton and should be very good starters alond with JR Malcolm Jenkins. LB is loaded with Laurinaitis, Grant (watch out for this JUCO SR), and Freeman. The DTs will be young and inexperienced but the DEs will be amongst the best in the nation with Gholston a future first rounder, JR Lawrence Wilson a potential star and true SO Rob Rose another guy who could be great.

On offense, everybody know about Beanie Wells. The O line should actually be improved despite the loss of 2 solid but unspectacular interior lineman. The running game should actually be improved. The passing game won't put up 40 but if Boeckman can at least not turn it over, the D, running game and a solid passing game with Robiskie, Hartline, Small, etc. will be perfect for the style Tressel loves to play.

The Buckeyes will probably lose to either PSU on the road at night or Michigan. My guess is Hart and company finally break through against OSU and the Buckeyes share the league title with Wisconsin (and possibly Michigan too).

3. Michigan- The offense is obviously loaded, but they really lost a lot on D. Guys like Harris, Hall, and Woodley were actually underrated despite being well known. Those guys, and to a lesser extent Branch, will really be missed. Without a dominant pass rusher and with a ton of questions in the secondary this team will give up points against good offenses.

Though they will give up a good amount of points, they should score a lot too. Hart is great. He doesn't have the measurables, but I would take him on my NFL team anyday. Manningham and Arrington are great too. Michigan will miss Carson Butler. Overall though, the mediocre defense will put a lot of pressure on Henne to play great every single game. I think he'll stumble once (Wisconsin) and maybe twice (OSU).

4. Penn State- Great receivers and a senior QB. The O line and RBs are just okay. If Morelli steps up (50/50 IMO), the offense should be good. He just seems to make bad decisions or miss open guys too often.

The defense will be good, as usual, but I don't think it will be great due to the loss of some underrated DTs like Alford. They have brought in a lot of good DT recruits over the last few years, so maybe there will not be too big of a dropoff. I think that this D is good enough to dominate games against the lower teir of the Big 10, but could give up 25-30 against top teams like Michigan and I don't know if Morelli is good enough to really put together big games against good teams. Hopefully they drill ND. I see them losing 2 or 3 in the Big 10 though.

5. Purdue-The offense should be pretty good with a solid O line, a pretty good QB (Painter) and a really nice group of WRs (Lymon and Bryant). The D was young last year and should improve, but they are small at DT and up the middle of the defense. Power running teams like OSU, PSU, etc. could really do a lot of damage.

6. Iowa-I think that Christensen could actually be an upgrade over Tate, who turned into a bit of a headcase by the end of his career. If he steps up, the offense should be pretty good with the young WRs and TEs all due for some improvement.

The D line should be very good with Iwebema and company. I just don't know if they have enough speed in the back 7 to keep up with top passing teams which will force the offense to have to score a lot. With a young QB there will be some growing pains.

7. MIchigan St.- This is a team that I think will play better than their talent. I think they will play more as a team and show more poise than they have in the past. That starts with the coach and should continue with the QB. Solid RBs will help.

Still, while I think they will be better coached and more consistent, they just don't have the talent to compete with the top teams like OSU, UM, etc. yet.

8. Indiana- An exciting young offense should win them a few games but their D is pretty bad still.

9. Illinois- The most overrated team in the Big 10. Yes, they had some close losses last year. But, this team is 2-28 in their last 30 Big 10 games. Unless Juice Williams improves a lot, the offense (with a mediocre line) will be inconsistent. And the D was not as good as it appeared last year, with a lot of teams playing conservative in the second half of games because they knew they already had enough point to win. Plus, Zook seems to be a weak coach and Illinois just seems to do all of the little things that good teams do well pretty badly. Like special teams.

10. Northwestern- Just mediocre. Slow and undersized on D though they do have some young DEs who could end up being pretty good. Sutton always runs hard, but the rest of the offense is just okay.

11. Minnesota-Not much talent and some of their best players are in trouble with the law. Trying to bring in a new offense may be good in the long run, but could hurt the running game (pretty much the only thing they do well) in the short run. They'll also really miss Spaeth who was very underrated.
bengalbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:38 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalbuck View Post
1. Wisconsin- I thin that Wisconsin is the best overall team in the Big 10. The D will be very good, probably the best in the league. The offense should be strong too. I like Beckum a lot. PJ Hill to me isn't a special back, but fits what Wisconsin does and with their very good OL should put together another big year.

I think Wisconsin's only loss will be at OSU. The Buckeyes have only lost 2 home games in the last 5 years. One was a narrow loss to Vince Young and Texas and the other was to Wisconsin. The Buckeyes don't lose at home often and after struggling a bit with Wisconsin lately, both the team and the crowd will be ready, especially since this is by far the biggest game in Columbus this year.

1. Ohio State- There would have been the potential for the Buckeyes to struggle a bit early, but thier schedule is so easy, they should pretty much walk to 8-0. By game 9, the schedule gets difficult, but the new youngsters will have had time to develop.

On defense, the Buckeyes lost a decent amount of players, but none of them were stars and none were taken in the top 96 picks of the draft. There were so many FR and SO who started or played a lot on D last year that will all be back and improved this year. The secondary was a weakness last year, but 3 talented FR (Washington, Russell, Coleman) played a ton and should be very good starters alond with JR Malcolm Jenkins. LB is loaded with Laurinaitis, Grant (watch out for this JUCO SR), and Freeman. The DTs will be young and inexperienced but the DEs will be amongst the best in the nation with Gholston a future first rounder, JR Lawrence Wilson a potential star and true SO Rob Rose another guy who could be great.

On offense, everybody know about Beanie Wells. The O line should actually be improved despite the loss of 2 solid but unspectacular interior lineman. The running game should actually be improved. The passing game won't put up 40 but if Boeckman can at least not turn it over, the D, running game and a solid passing game with Robiskie, Hartline, Small, etc. will be perfect for the style Tressel loves to play.

The Buckeyes will probably lose to either PSU on the road at night or Michigan. My guess is Hart and company finally break through against OSU and the Buckeyes share the league title with Wisconsin (and possibly Michigan too).

3. Michigan- The offense is obviously loaded, but they really lost a lot on D. Guys like Harris, Hall, and Woodley were actually underrated despite being well known. Those guys, and to a lesser extent Branch, will really be missed. Without a dominant pass rusher and with a ton of questions in the secondary this team will give up points against good offenses.

Though they will give up a good amount of points, they should score a lot too. Hart is great. He doesn't have the measurables, but I would take him on my NFL team anyday. Manningham and Arrington are great too. Michigan will miss Carson Butler. Overall though, the mediocre defense will put a lot of pressure on Henne to play great every single game. I think he'll stumble once (Wisconsin) and maybe twice (OSU).

4. Penn State- Great receivers and a senior QB. The O line and RBs are just okay. If Morelli steps up (50/50 IMO), the offense should be good. He just seems to make bad decisions or miss open guys too often.

The defense will be good, as usual, but I don't think it will be great due to the loss of some underrated DTs like Alford. They have brought in a lot of good DT recruits over the last few years, so maybe there will not be too big of a dropoff. I think that this D is good enough to dominate games against the lower teir of the Big 10, but could give up 25-30 against top teams like Michigan and I don't know if Morelli is good enough to really put together big games against good teams. Hopefully they drill ND. I see them losing 2 or 3 in the Big 10 though.

5. Purdue-The offense should be pretty good with a solid O line, a pretty good QB (Painter) and a really nice group of WRs (Lymon and Bryant). The D was young last year and should improve, but they are small at DT and up the middle of the defense. Power running teams like OSU, PSU, etc. could really do a lot of damage.

6. Iowa-I think that Christensen could actually be an upgrade over Tate, who turned into a bit of a headcase by the end of his career. If he steps up, the offense should be pretty good with the young WRs and TEs all due for some improvement.

The D line should be very good with Iwebema and company. I just don't know if they have enough speed in the back 7 to keep up with top passing teams which will force the offense to have to score a lot. With a young QB there will be some growing pains.

7. MIchigan St.- This is a team that I think will play better than their talent. I think they will play more as a team and show more poise than they have in the past. That starts with the coach and should continue with the QB. Solid RBs will help.

Still, while I think they will be better coached and more consistent, they just don't have the talent to compete with the top teams like OSU, UM, etc. yet.

8. Indiana- An exciting young offense should win them a few games but their D is pretty bad still.

9. Illinois- The most overrated team in the Big 10. Yes, they had some close losses last year. But, this team is 2-28 in their last 30 Big 10 games. Unless Juice Williams improves a lot, the offense (with a mediocre line) will be inconsistent. And the D was not as good as it appeared last year, with a lot of teams playing conservative in the second half of games because they knew they already had enough point to win. Plus, Zook seems to be a weak coach and Illinois just seems to do all of the little things that good teams do well pretty badly. Like special teams.

10. Northwestern- Just mediocre. Slow and undersized on D though they do have some young DEs who could end up being pretty good. Sutton always runs hard, but the rest of the offense is just okay.

11. Minnesota-Not much talent and some of their best players are in trouble with the law. Trying to bring in a new offense may be good in the long run, but could hurt the running game (pretty much the only thing they do well) in the short run. They'll also really miss Spaeth who was very underrated.

Hey man I don't agree with all your picks, but I give you credit for explaining them. The Ohio State defense will be very good but they're gonna need a QB to step up. There's talent at the RB (Love Beanie Wells) position as well as OL and raw, unproven talent at WR, but I don't know if their offense will be good enough to beat Wisconsin, Michigan and maybe even PSU.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:49 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalbuck View Post

Sorry I also meant to comment on your Michigan blurb. On offense, like you said, there's a lot returning, but there's also a lot coming in. I expect Webb to see some PT at TE very early, and good God can you imagine if Carr dusts off a *GASP!* Shotgun formation with 4 wideouts? Imagine Manningham, Arrington, Matthews and someone like Toney Clemons. Ok, I'm dreaming, but it can happen right? ;)

Anyway, offense isn't the question for Michigan. I know we lost a lot on D, but it can be made up. Terrance Taylor is a man beast and he will be the anchor of the d-line. EA Sports thought enough of Brandon Graham to make him a 99 ;)Obviously he's not that good but he'll show why he was such a highly recruited prospect. He's quicker and faster than LaMarr Woodley was IMO. Shawn Crable will be one of our OLB and in any other conference that's not loaded at LB he would be a first team all-conference. Jonas Mouton, redshirt frosh, is a converted safety who has bulked up and will see significant PT at OLB as well. In the middle you could see Obi Ezeh or last year's NJCAA DPOY Austin Panter., both of whom have loads of potential.

The corners scare me, at least until Warren starts to play. (Can't wait for Warren/Cissoko, but that's for another day). Trent needs to be better than last year, and Sears needs to do something. Anything. Trent doesn't get beat deep very often, which is nice, and may be able to make more plays since the safeties have been upgraded. Stevie Brown will make a nice FS and Jamar Adams could be an All-Big 10 pick.

Obviously it would be ridiculous of me to expect all these guys to pan out to their fullest potential and I may be a homer in saying this, but I really think Michigan finishes in the top 2 in the Big 10 if not win it.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:08 AM    (permalink
Newbs24
Rookie

Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.

Michigans secondary is not the strongest in the world, hell I would even say it is pretty damn bad, but it is better than the passing offenses in the Big Ten. I do not see 1 QB that scares me. Every team is gonna have to rely on running the ball with the exception of Purdue and Michigan. So the secondary play will not be as important as it was last year with QBs like Stanton, Smith, tate, Stocco all being gone.

So if people are looking at the secondary losing Michigan games this year, what QB is gonna beat them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermario86 View Post
Stanton will be a pro bowler his 5th year book it.
Newbs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:11 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbs24 View Post
Michigans secondary is not the strongest in the world, hell I would even say it is pretty damn bad, but it is better than the passing offenses in the Big Ten. I do not see 1 QB that scares me. Every team is gonna have to rely on running the ball with the exception of Purdue and Michigan. So the secondary play will not be as important as it was last year with QBs like Stanton, Smith, tate, Stocco all being gone.

So if people are looking at the secondary losing Michigan games this year, what QB is gonna beat them?
If the Badgers and Tyler Donavan can get Travis Beckum the ball then Michigan is going to have a long day.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:34 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
If the Badgers and Tyler Donavan can get Travis Beckum the ball then Michigan is going to have a long day.
A undersized TE is the least of our worries. Mouton and/or Crable can take care of him.