Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 07-18-2007, 08:56 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
A undersized TE is the least of our worries. Mouton and/or Crable can take care of him.
Strength of a TE but the speed of a receiver....I think he'll present problems

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:28 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Strength of a TE but the speed of a receiver....I think he'll present problems
Jonas Mouton. Size of a linebacker, speed of a safety. Guess we'll see.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:39 AM    (permalink
wiscbadgerfootball
Pro Bowler

wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Jonas Mouton. Size of a linebacker, speed of a safety. Guess we'll see.
Travis Beckum has the athleticism of a receiver at the tight end postition.. he's plenty big

sig by me.. first in ages, pm with requests
wiscbadgerfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:45 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscbadgerfootball View Post
Travis Beckum has the athleticism of a receiver at the tight end postition.. he's plenty big
He's not plenty big for a TE. Sorry, but 6'4 220 is not plenty big for a TE. That's actually plenty small. He's a good receiver but he's not big.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:50 AM    (permalink
wiscbadgerfootball
Pro Bowler

wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He's not plenty big for a TE. Sorry, but 6'4 220 is not plenty big for a TE. That's actually plenty small. He's a good receiver but he's not big.
well considering Jonas Mouton is 230 lbs and a freshman.. I'm not really scared

Old 07-18-2007, 10:23 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
well considering Jonas Mouton is 230 lbs and a freshman.. I'm not really scared
What's wrong with freshmen? Your boy PJ Hill was a freshman last year look what he did. Considering Mouton is bigger and faster than Beckum I'll take my chances.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:27 AM    (permalink
wiscbadgerfootball
Pro Bowler

Quote:
What's wrong with freshmen? Your boy PJ Hill was a freshman last year look what he did. Considering Mouton is bigger and faster than Beckum I'll take my chances.
bigger- yes by 10 pounds
faster- doubt it

Old 07-18-2007, 10:36 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
bigger- yes by 10 pounds
faster- doubt it
Ok whatever you want to think. Beckum and Hill didn't do jack against us last year, and I expect the same this year.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:38 AM    (permalink
wiscbadgerfootball
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Ok whatever you want to think. Beckum and Hill didn't do jack against us last year, and I expect the same this year.
I respect your confidence in your team because I'm the same way.. I guess we'll just have to wait until the game

Old 07-18-2007, 12:28 PM    (permalink
OhioState
Veteran

OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Hill was a redshirt so physically he was a sophomore. and 6' 4" plenty big for a TE but i do agree that he needs to add about thirty pounds which will be plenty hard to do.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:49 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioState View Post
Hill was a redshirt so physically he was a sophomore. and 6' 4" plenty big for a TE but i do agree that he needs to add about thirty pounds which will be plenty hard to do.
Jonas Mouton is also a redshirt frosh. I agree with your Beckum assessment. I meant to say that 6'4 is tall enough, I meant his weight was much lower than it should be.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:25 PM    (permalink
wiscbadgerfootball
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Jonas Mouton is also a redshirt frosh. I agree with your Beckum assessment. I meant to say that 6'4 is tall enough, I meant his weight was much lower than it should be.
that I do agree with I think he can add weight over the next few years but what he lacks in power, he makes up for in athleticism

Old 07-18-2007, 01:54 PM    (permalink
Scar
Rookie

Scar hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Wildcats all the way! Kidding, I'm not that a big of a homer. I'll be shocked if we can pull out a 6-7 place finish this season. I will predict a big bounceback year for Tyrell Sutton though.
Scar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:06 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar View Post
Wildcats all the way! Kidding, I'm not that a big of a homer. I'll be shocked if we can pull out a 6-7 place finish this season. I will predict a big bounceback year for Tyrell Sutton though.
He still cracked 1,000 yards with no help last year. Not too bad.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:10 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It doesn't really matter who's bigger or faster. It matters mostly about technique, especially for defenders in one on one matchups, and I think Beckum certainly edges any true freshman linebacker in pass coverage.

If it did matter, then I don't think that Mario Manningham would've owned Jamario O'Neal like he did in high school and during the 06 game at CBus...because they are probably about the same speed (4.38 or so) and O'Neal has about 20 lbs. on him but crappy technique.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:23 PM    (permalink
bengalbuck
Rookie

bengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
It doesn't really matter who's bigger or faster. It matters mostly about technique, especially for defenders in one on one matchups, and I think Beckum certainly edges any true freshman linebacker in pass coverage.

If it did matter, then I don't think that Mario Manningham would've owned Jamario O'Neal like he did in high school and during the 06 game at CBus...because they are probably about the same speed (4.38 or so) and O'Neal has about 20 lbs. on him but crappy technique.
Jamario's problems are not just technique related. He really doesn't have the lateral quickness or the "hips" to be a good cover safety. I honestly think he won't see any significant PT for the rest of his OSU career.

As for the Michigan fans, I agree that the QBs are not great in the league this year and that should favor you. I would however argue that the defenses of Wisconsin, Penn St. and OSU will be good enough to at least keep the Michigan offense somewhat in check. Which will put pressure on the Michigan D. Keep in mind too that Wisconsin will now have an athletic QB who can run, which is pretty much kryptonite to the Wolverines D. That along with the electric atmosphere in Madison is why I picked UW over UM.

As you said, OSU and PSU's passing games shouldn't scare you too much and I'm sure UM will be favored in both of those games, maybe by as much as a TD. However, Morelli's a Sr. and may be improved. And Boeckman has been at OSU for 5 years and will have 11 games worth of starting experience before he shows up to Ann Arbor. The WRs at OSU, especially Robiskie and Hartline have more big game experience than you may realize. My point I guess is that the OSU passing offense might not look scary now, but it could by November.

The one advantage that OSU has killed UM with lately has been depth at WR vs. a shallow group of UM CBs. UM still doesn't impress me at DB, but OSU lost 2 first round WRs (Gonzo and Ginn) and a 5th rounder (Hall) and I am really only confident in the top 3 guys going into this year. So unless somebody really steps up, OSU will have lost this advantage because the 4-6 spots don't have nearly the talent that they have had in years past.
bengalbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:27 PM    (permalink
bengalbuck
Rookie

bengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Just one more addition, I wouldn't be surprised to see UM, UW and OSU undefeated going into the last 4 weeks. My prediction is OSU beats UW, UW beat UM and UM beats OSU. Each of those teams could be looking at 1 loss against each other. If it goes down like that, the key will be how each of the top 3 does against PSU, Purdue, etc.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:32 PM    (permalink
bengalbuck
Rookie

Quote:
He's impressive. I was disappointed when he didn't come to OSU and he has become a really, really good player. I'd personally take him over any TE in the country this season.

What are your thoughts on Wiscy this year? I think I read that Phil Steele predicted 4 losses for them. The one concern I would have if I was a fan of them would be how they play being the "favorite" and dealing with all of the accolades and people telling them they are great. Sometimes when teams aren't used to being preseason top 5 preseason, they don't handle it well.

If they deal with all that okay, I think they should have a really nice year. They've got most of the pieces in place.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:46 PM    (permalink
Newbs24
Rookie

Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.

Running QBs do seem to kill us. When they are VY and Troy Smith. Stanton didn't do much last year against us. English has implemented a defense that wants to control the game with their speed and agressivness. I think he has the players to do it and will have a defense that is as good as last years. Hopefully this year he won't change things up for the last 2 games and play into the offenses hands. There are rarely easy games when on the road in the Big Ten. I think Michigan will win the conference but not a cake walk. I just have confidence and love what I see when I look at what is going to be on the field. Especially on offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermario86 View Post
Stanton will be a pro bowler his 5th year book it.
Newbs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:00 PM    (permalink
wiscbadgerfootball
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalbuck View Post
He's impressive. I was disappointed when he didn't come to OSU and he has become a really, really good player. I'd personally take him over any TE in the country this season.

What are your thoughts on Wiscy this year? I think I read that Phil Steele predicted 4 losses for them. The one concern I would have if I was a fan of them would be how they play being the "favorite" and dealing with all of the accolades and people telling them they are great. Sometimes when teams aren't used to being preseason top 5 preseason, they don't handle it well.

If they deal with all that okay, I think they should have a really nice year. They've got most of the pieces in place.

4 losses? doubt it. The lost starters on offense are Joe Thomas and John Stocco. Obviously a player of Thomas' caliber is hard to lose, but UW produces great o-linemen. PJ Hill is coming off a superb season and has had time to heal as well as gain experience. The receiving core is average but Beckum is the major threat passing wise, he is extremely talented.

The defense is coming off a good season and I expect big things. They are more experienced as a whole. The D-Line is anchored by Nick Hayden and Matt Shaunessy(sp?) in my opinion. We lost Zalewski in the linebacker lineup but Abdul Hodge's brother Elijah should be able to step in. Jonathan Casillas is the leader of the linebackers and I've liked him all along. He has exceptional speed and I expect a good season out of him. The defensive backs are solid and lead by a great corner in Jack Ikegowonu, who is only a junior. The rest of the db's should be solid. The special team unit boasts a powerful and accurate kicker in Taylor Melhaff and a good Punter in Ken DeBauche.

I expect a great season.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:35 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbs24 View Post
Running QBs do seem to kill us. When they are VY and Troy Smith. Stanton didn't do much last year against us. English has implemented a defense that wants to control the game with their speed and agressivness. I think he has the players to do it and will have a defense that is as good as last years. Hopefully this year he won't change things up for the last 2 games and play into the offenses hands. There are rarely easy games when on the road in the Big Ten. I think Michigan will win the conference but not a cake walk. I just have confidence and love what I see when I look at what is going to be on the field. Especially on offense.
Do you think that, maybe, just maybe, we could see Shotgun sets with 4 wide? Or is that asking too much of Lloyd? I'm salivating at the thought of Mario, AA, Clemons and Matthews in a 4 wide set. Dirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrty. :)
Old 07-19-2007, 08:49 AM    (permalink
OhioState
Veteran

OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Do you think that, maybe, just maybe, we could see Shotgun sets with 4 wide? Or is that asking too much of Lloyd? I'm salivating at the thought of Mario, AA, Clemons and Matthews in a 4 wide set. Dirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrty. :)
that would work better if Henne was mobile but i can see why you want to use the formation that J Tress owned you with.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:15 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Your defense was also very good last year. I don't think they be halfd the unit they were last year.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:24 AM    (permalink
Newbs24
Rookie

Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.

Quote:

I have heard that it is a possibility, but as always with Michigan, if Henne throws a pick Hart is gonna get the ball the next 3 series. They have zero confidence in Henne and it is a joke. The kid is good and never gets a chance to shine. Last year in Columbus I thought he looked great and that is what I expect this year. But, YES I do see the shotgun being utilized alittle more this year because TE and FB are WWWEEEAAAKKK this year for us. 4 wide should be seen alot more than before. Maybe even dual RBs too.

Also, the word was Spring and Winter was used mainly for Henne to get more comfortable in the pocket. DeBORED says he is alot better this year in the pocket. We will see what happens when Mitchell gets abused again and if Henne can withstand the pressure. I have loved eveything I have heard especially about Adrian Arrington so far. If teams focus too much on Super Mario, AA is gonna get 150 yards per game. The kid has finally got the message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermario86 View Post
Stanton will be a pro bowler his 5th year book it.
Newbs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:14 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioState View Post
that would work better if Henne was mobile but i can see why you want to use the formation that J Tress owned you with.
Henne was mobile enough to help put 39 points against you guys last year. Mobility is the least of my concerns after the spring ball reports and considering no one is getting by the left side of our line.