Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football > Recruiting

Recruiting Discuss High School Recruiting

View Poll Results: What would you rather have from your Coaching Staff?
Top Notch Recruiting every year but average development 6 17.14%
Top Notch Player Development but average recruiting. 29 82.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2007, 01:35 AM    (permalink
Jericho@SC
Rookie

Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.
Default Top Notch Recruiting vs. Player Development

Would you rather have a coaching staff that was average at developing players but still hauled in elite recruiting classes (top 2 every year) with 5 star studs?

Or

a staff that only recruited classes annually in the 10-15 range but coached up 3 and 4 star players to eventually become All Americans and NFL draft picks?

Think somewhat along the lines of Ron Zook vs. Tommy Tuberville & Co. except more equal

With the recruiting coach staff, you'll likely have some superstar busts here and there, but more often than not you'll have can't miss recruits that dominate even without great coaching. You'll have very high expectations for winning.

With the development coaching staff you might sometimes never really challenge for the title game because sometimes the ceiling of your talent pool caps off at just a 10-2 season. But once in a while if you have a developed, senior laden team full of sleeper recruits, you can make a serious run at a NC. You also aren't expected to go undefeated every year.

Last edited by Jericho@SC : 07-09-2007 at 01:42 AM.
Jericho@SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:51 AM    (permalink
simms2clayton

I have two exhibits I would like to show the court that is NFLDC:

Exhibit A: The Ron Zook era at Florida. Top 5 recruiting classes every year. average teams.

Exhibit B: The current era at Boise State. I looked on rivals and 95% of the players are only 2 stars. They then go on to beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl last season.

Is it not obvious which situation is better....but the best scenario obviously would be current teams like USC or LSU.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:53 AM    (permalink
Green Bay Scat
Pro Bowler

Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.

Earl Bennett, Jonathan Goff and Chris Williams, who could all be first rounders were all 3 star athletes
Green Bay Scat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:55 AM    (permalink
Jericho@SC
Rookie

Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms2clayton View Post
I have two exhibits I would like to show the court that is NFLDC:

Exhibit A: The Ron Zook era at Florida. Top 5 recruiting classes every year. average teams.

Exhibit B: The current era at Boise State. I looked on rivals and 95% of the players are only 2 stars. They then go on to beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl last season.

Is it not obvious which situation is better....but the best scenario obviously would be current teams like USC or LSU.
Good point. But I think the difference in schedules makes a difference. A Ron Zook Florida team could have run the table in the WAC and very well have beaten Oklahoma too. So it's hard to compare.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:13 PM    (permalink
cardsalltheway
Veteran

cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.

Player development easily. I only have to look as far as my own favorite team to see why. IU's two best and most important players, Kellen Lewis and James Hardy, were not ranked on Rivals but thanks to great coaching and development by the late Terry Hoeppner, they've turned out to be top-notch players with NFL potential. The same rings true in every sport. Bob Knight never had great recruits but won three NC's. Mike Davis was a great recruiter and got ran out of Bloomington.

The classic example of recruiting with no development is obviously Zook and if Illinois is at the bottom of the barrel again this year the point will be even more emphatic.

Designs by D-Unit

ILEMTPKC - I Love Eli Manning <The Patriots Killer> Club
cardsalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:23 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's nice if you have both like Ohio State. No one wanted AJ Hawk, James Laurinaitis, Brian Robiskie, Nick Mangold, Malcolm Jenkins, etc. Those guys are all 3 star recruits offered by Ohio State and middle of the pack schools only pretty much. Mix them in with Donte Whitners, Ted Ginn Jrs, Orlando Paces and then you have a dominating squad yearly. Imagine if Boise could recruit like USC huh.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:34 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

developing by far

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:35 PM    (permalink
elway777
All-Pro

elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Luckily for me SC has both.

Last edited by elway777 : 07-09-2007 at 10:11 PM. Reason: I just realized GBS was talking about Chris Williams T from Vandy, not WR from New Mexico
elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:48 AM    (permalink
Zyro_1014
Pro Bowler

Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elway777 View Post
ah men buddy!
Zyro_1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:28 AM    (permalink
DLS42
Veteran

DLS42 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.DLS42 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Unlucky for me Cal only has one. and heres a hint its not the recuiting.

Classic NFLDC. Vatech!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLS42 View Post
Elway we'll settle this once and for all. Cal SC sig bet. Cal wins you wear a cal sig for 3 weeks. Sc wins. ill wear a I heart pete caroll sig.
DLS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:50 PM    (permalink
HoopsDemon12
Pro Bowler

HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.

Definatly the devolopment.. some of the best defensive players in the past couple of drafts were 4 stars and lower comign out... its getting the player to play to his potential

Sig By Diehardvikingfan
HoopsDemon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:02 PM    (permalink
BUSTKUNTLAWL
Veteran

BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I figured Ron Zook's name would get mentioned in this thread.. lol.

The obvious answer is development..
Old 07-10-2007, 09:53 PM    (permalink
CC
Veteran

CC hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.CC hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I dunno, it depends on if you mean OSU or Iowa for the calibre of development.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:31 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
It's nice if you have both like Ohio State. No one wanted AJ Hawk, James Laurinaitis, Brian Robiskie, Nick Mangold, Malcolm Jenkins, etc. Those guys are all 3 star recruits offered by Ohio State and middle of the pack schools only pretty much. Mix them in with Donte Whitners, Ted Ginn Jrs, Orlando Paces and then you have a dominating squad yearly. Imagine if Boise could recruit like USC huh.
I have a small issue with the whole 3-stars aren't wanted part. 3 star prospects get offers from top programs all the time. It's not like you build a team of all 4 and 5 star players. You just get a guy who fits your system and your scout tells you can play at the college level.
mqtirishfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 04:41 PM    (permalink
TheMikey10
Rookie

TheMikey10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLS42 View Post
Unlucky for me Cal only has one. and heres a hint its not the recuiting.

Don't worry, the recruiting is coming for Cal, signing Marshawn and Desean in the last several years were big-time coups
Old 08-05-2007, 10:22 PM    (permalink
Jericho@SC
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMikey10 View Post
Don't worry, the recruiting is coming for Cal, signing Marshawn and Desean in the last several years were big-time coups
I like Tedford, but I feel he takes a passive approach towards recruiting. It will catch up to him if he doesn't start taking action in getting recruits, now that the Bruins are turning up the heat.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:26 PM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, I'll always take productivity from a lesser known player than none from some big shot coming out of high school. This wasn't even really close at all for me to decide.
BuckNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:38 PM    (permalink
sodar21
Veteran

sodar21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqtirishfan View Post
I have a small issue with the whole 3-stars aren't wanted part. 3 star prospects get offers from top programs all the time. It's not like you build a team of all 4 and 5 star players. You just get a guy who fits your system and your scout tells you can play at the college level.
A lot of 3 star guys are just ones that were missed by the scouting services but many major programs still pick up on them. AJ Hawk was a 3 star recruit mainly because he was injured his senior year in high school. If he had been healthy he would have most likely ended up as a 4 star player or better.
sodar21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:03 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah yeah no one likes you ;)
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:27 AM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran

gstock05 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'll throw in one more element, what about finding top notch players who are completely off the radar, but have 4-5 star talent?

Plenty of these guys just didnt get the pub in highschool due to where they played, who they played with, the system, the geographic location, hype, or even other elements such as injuries or moving across the country while still in highschool.
gstock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:29 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstock05 View Post
I'll throw in one more element, what about finding top notch players who are completely off the radar, but have 4-5 star talent?

Plenty of these guys just didnt get the pub in highschool due to where they played, who they played with, the system, the geographic location, hype, or even other elements such as injuries or moving across the country while still in highschool.
See Willis, Patrick.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote