Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:18 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Raiders sign Donovin Darius

Link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2931931

thoughts?
Old 07-10-2007, 03:21 PM    (permalink
tylerb929
Rookie

tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.

Sucks for Schweigert, but I guess maybe Donovan won't play the whole year or all the time.

I wonder what kind of deal Darius got, anyone know?
tylerb929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:22 PM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm kinda suprised we signed him. We have too good young saftey's in Huff and Schweigert. I'm guessing the main reason he was brought is he could be a good leader. He's also good against the run.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:28 PM    (permalink
HoopsDemon12
Pro Bowler

HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by portermvp84 View Post
I'm kinda suprised we signed him. We have too good young saftey's in Huff and Schweigert. I'm guessing the main reason he was brought is he could be a good leader. He's also good against the run.
thats what i was thinking.. i mean this guy was a good player and a good person off the field if im not mistaken.. i mean the raiders have nothign to lose here...

Sig By Diehardvikingfan
HoopsDemon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:49 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good signing by the Raiders. Not good news for Schweigert though.

Signature made by me

2009-2010 Pick the Winners: 190-77
2010-2011 Pick the Winners: 162-105
2011-2012 Pick the Winners: 168-99
2012-2013 Pick the Winners: 171-95-1

Sveen's 2013 NFL Draft Spreadsheet
Sveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:21 PM    (permalink
NIN1984
Pro Bowler

NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bottom line is Raiders want Huff at FS and Schweigert could become trade bait. Lane Kiffin let Darnell Bing move back to SS so maybe Darius will hold down the SS spot till Bing is ready.

But yeah this sucks for Schweigert
NIN1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Green Bay Scat
Pro Bowler

Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIN1984 View Post
Bottom line is Raiders want Huff at FS and Schweigert could become trade bait. Lane Kiffin let Darnell Bing move back to SS so maybe Darius will hold down the SS spot till Bing is ready.

or could it be Schweigert sucks?
Green Bay Scat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:28 PM    (permalink
NIN1984
Pro Bowler

NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Schweigert was apart of the #1 Pass D in the NFL and no he doesn't suck. is he a pro bowl type player? no, but he doesn't suck.
NIN1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:33 PM    (permalink
Stash
Pro Bowler

Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the Darius signing because he's a true SS and it will allow Huff to move to FS, I'm just wondering where we got the money to sign him.
Stash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:43 PM    (permalink
HoopsDemon12
Pro Bowler

HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash View Post
I like the Darius signing because he's a true SS and it will allow Huff to move to FS, I'm just wondering where we got the money to sign him.
back pocket? Wallet? Back Account?

Sig By Diehardvikingfan
HoopsDemon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:43 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIN1984 View Post

Bottom line?

The real bottom line is that Rob Ryan is employing a secondary without a set strong or free safety this year. It's gonna be Huff playing left safety (with Fabian) and Schweigert playing right safety (with Nnamdi).

I can only assume that the addition of Darius means that Ryan will just sub a lot in the secondary, something he did last year anyway. Last year Derrick Gibson was often employed in a 4th pseudo-linebacker role, and that seems like the best bet for Darius to take over at, and the best bet for Bing to play in the future.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:00 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

JoeMontainya needs more cowbell.

They had a very good secondary last year. Obviously if they felt they needed Darious, maybe things arent going how they hoped so far in pre training camp and they needed a boost?
JoeMontainya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:09 PM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.

They have a very, very young defense. Darius provides veteran leadership to a secondary that is especially young. This allows Huff to move around more because he is probably one of the most interchangeable DBs in the league.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:49 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

this signing doesnt make a lot of sense to me to be honest. I am a big Donovin Darius fan but I feel like we have two great young safeties in Huff and Schweigert. I cant see Huff getting the bench and Schweigert has shown steady improvement for year to year and I feel like he is a natural playmaker to a degree. Regardless, I guess this means Huff moves to FS and Darius starts at SS. This should help our run D, which was the biggest weakness of our defense and he adds veteran leadership so Im ok with the signing. the contract numbers are 3 years/7 mill so its a pretty reasonable deal...I assume Kiffin will allow there to be competition for the starting jobs at S but at the end of the day its hard to see Schweigert beating out Huff or Darius. Regardless, Im a big fan of Darius and Im happy hes putting on the silver and black.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:53 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
Bottom line?

The real bottom line is that Rob Ryan is employing a secondary without a set strong or free safety this year. It's gonna be Huff playing left safety (with Fabian) and Schweigert playing right safety (with Nnamdi).

I can only assume that the addition of Darius means that Ryan will just sub a lot in the secondary, something he did last year anyway. Last year Derrick Gibson was often employed in a 4th pseudo-linebacker role, and that seems like the best bet for Darius to take over at, and the best bet for Bing to play in the future.
yes, this is very true...While I assume Darius and Huff will be starters in the base package, it wont be that simple. We have a lot of good DBs with different skill sets and I would expect Ryan to sub a lot and use some different packages and looks. Im really excited about the defense, it is a great mix of youth and veterans with a lot of talented players who should continue to improve and we also appear to have excellent depth and a lot of weapons at Rob Ryans disposal.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:56 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

so you guys are moving Huff to FS?
Old 07-10-2007, 05:57 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it was to move Huff back to FS...im not sure what the depth chart said, but I seen Michael Huff recently in Irving, Tx at a 24 hr fitness, and he said they had him at SS, playing majority in the box, not back at FS playing centerfield....

so maybe the signing has something to do with trying to move Huff back, because darius is better suited playing up close...im glad, because i really want to see Huff do well, and having him playing up close near the line is not his style of play at all, and he didnt have to do those things at UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:04 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
so you guys are moving Huff to FS?
There is no set free safety in Oakland's defense. There is only left and right safties, and their actions are determined by how the offense lines up.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:33 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

I feel like part of this signing is to allow Ryan to move Huff around and take advantage of his versatility because a guy like Huff can do a lot of things, he has the speed and athleticism to play man coverage on WRs, he can play as a deep safety, he cover TEs, he can function as in the box safety...
Old 07-10-2007, 06:41 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jimmy Williams > Michael Huff

Homerism. But it really didn't seem too unreasonable until late in the draft process. Jimmy is also going to play FS this year (moving from CB).
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:46 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I guess Carolina is content with Nate Salley.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:49 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Who? Lol.
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:57 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
I guess Carolina is content with Nate Salley.
yeah I thought Carolina was a good fit. I cant believe they havent gone after safety help....
Old 07-10-2007, 07:03 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't say I agree with this at all. The Raiders are in the middle of rebuilding and they already had a solid safety play. Why waste the money on a guy who might not be around when the Raiders will have improved significantly enough to make some real noise around the league?

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:05 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Who? Lol.
The mediocre player that will be exposed by our division repeatedly and help prevent Carolina from winning the division, as they insist they will.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote