Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Jacksonville Jaguars Team Forum

Jacksonville Jaguars Team Forum Discuss the Jaguars

Old 07-19-2009, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I haven't gotten my hands on this year's book yet, but apparently Football Outsiders are really high on the Jags this season. Don't exactly see it myself, but that's pretty interesting (I'm a fan of FO).
Old 07-19-2009, 06:06 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I haven't gotten my hands on this year's book yet, but apparently Football Outsiders are really high on the Jags this season. Don't exactly see it myself, but that's pretty interesting (I'm a fan of FO).
There's a portion that was apparently in the Houston Chronicle on the jags forum that's being talked about. Here:

Quote:
DVOA, however, is much higher on the team. Jacksonville had a 1.9% DVOA, and their expected win total was 8.9 -- shocking, perhaps, but a function of their underlying performance. A 1.9% DVOA is pretty good: 26 other teams since 1994 (the earliest year we've calculated DVOA for) have had a DVOA between 1% and 3%. Of those 26 teams, exactly one won as few as five games: The 2003 Jaguars, who promptly won nine games the next season. The average team in that range won 8.5 games.

Furthermore, the Jaguars had a lot of injuries last year. By our injury metric, Adjusted Games Lost (which takes into account historical injury rates for a given role/position on the injury report and the player's role as a starter or reserve on the team), the Jaguars were the tenth-most injured team in the league last year. Injuries tend to regress to league average, which is another positive indicator for the Jaguars; a team's AGL has a .26 correlation with the change in wins in subsequent seasons.

So, to summate, we see a team that was already really a nine-win team that's going to get healthier. I see your points, though, regarding the age of their defensive line."
I definitely see what they mean. Dunno if it'll happen, but there's history on the Jaguars' side, which is all that really means. History on side doesn't always equal great chance.

They are also down on the Texans, fyi.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:41 PM    (permalink
garrard9
Rookie

garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unseen View Post
There's a portion that was apparently in the Houston Chronicle on the jags forum that's being talked about. Here:

I definitely see what they mean. Dunno if it'll happen, but there's history on the Jaguars' side, which is all that really means. History on side doesn't always equal great chance.

They are also down on the Texans, fyi.
I think fans need to keep expectations low. Lets say 8-8 and some serious flashes from the rookies (Thomas, Dillard, Knighton, Cox) maybe Jennings.

sig by jkpigskin
garrard9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:13 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrard9 View Post
I think fans need to keep expectations low. Lets say 8-8 and some serious flashes from the rookies (Thomas, Dillard, Knighton, Cox) maybe Jennings.
That's what I'm hoping for. At the very least, the offense will (theoretically) be better than it has been in years.

The defense is a huge concern. I was straight up mortified with how bad it was at times last year. I'm happy we're moving back to more Cover Two principles, but everything keys on the development of Harvey and Groves. If those two are the keys to the defense. If they develop into players, they will make things easier on everybody else.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:13 AM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.

1st home preseason game attendance predictions anyone lol
murdamal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:54 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdamal86 View Post
1st home preseason game attendance predictions anyone lol
50,000 sounds about right.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 07-26-2009, 12:46 PM    (permalink
garrard9
Rookie

garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
We'll see, as Vic says, it's a make or break year ticket and blackout wise as well.

sig by jkpigskin
Old 07-28-2009, 12:50 PM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
over under on 50k? I'll take 10 under
Old 08-03-2009, 11:46 AM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdamal86 View Post
over under on 50k? I'll take 10 under
Nah, the stadium won't be be half-empty. It never really is. Whatever the reported ticket sales number, 10k more people usually drive up and go to the game that aren't counted towards the blackout-raising number.

50k sounds about right.
JT Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:53 PM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In other news, you are not a legitimate Jags fan unless you're repping the Jags by wearing a beard.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:30 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

FBT's first camp report!!!!!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...309-am-session

I wanna go to practice soon. I'll give a brief synopsis when I go, but even then everyone here should just check FBT's stuff. Detailed and awesome.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 08-03-2009, 05:36 PM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

Quote:
FBT's first camp report!!!!!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...309-am-session

I wanna go to practice soon. I'll give a brief synopsis when I go, but even then everyone here should just check FBT's stuff. Detailed and awesome.
Oklahoma drill is on Wednesday in the evening, right?
Old 08-03-2009, 06:36 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Jag View Post
Oklahoma drill is on Wednesday in the evening, right?
No clue...damnit I kinda wanted to see that, but I'm going Thursday.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 08-04-2009, 11:53 AM    (permalink
jag
Veteran

jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So what are you guys all hoping for out of this season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
It's just a ******* dog By Michael Vick
Check out the Dailyer Nebraskan
http://www.dailyernebraskan.com
421 Witness
756*
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:35 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I got them winning the division this year.

Im surprised so many people are sleeping on them actually.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:50 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I got them winning the division this year.

Im surprised so many people are sleeping on them actually.
I'd love for it to happen, but we'd have to get some amazing production out of a lot of young players. The roster got absolutely gutted this offseason and will likely have more rookies on it than any other team in the NFL.

The thing we have going in our favor, though, is that the AFC South isn't nearly as strong as most people think. We're rebuilding, but hey - so were Miami and Atlanta last year. There's a good core group of vets still around, so if the young guys step up (most notably Harvey and Groves) we could be in for a surprise.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:53 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
I'd love for it to happen, but we'd have to get some amazing production out of a lot of young players. The roster got absolutely gutted this offseason and will likely have more rookies on it than any other team in the NFL.

The thing we have going in our favor, though, is that the AFC South isn't nearly as strong as most people think. We're rebuilding, but hey - so were Miami and Atlanta last year. There's a good core group of vets still around, so if the young guys step up (most notably Harvey and Groves) we could be in for a surprise.
I think Groves and Harvey do step up. I think Nelson revives himself with a switch back to the Cover 2. I think the defense as a whole improves this year.

I also think the offense will improve dramatically. The oline is gonna be stoute, the run game will improve with more touches to MJD, and I think Garrard bounces back with better protection and Torry Holt to throw to. I think Holt has plenty left in the tank, and was a great signing.

I think the Colts and Titans also take a step back, which is why I think the Jaguars can take it.

I think Groves outperforms Harvey this year. But both will be solid.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:30 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the Jags to perform well offensively but the pass rush & DB play need major improvement for any chance at the post season. The young DEs need to mature quick.

Like Seattle, people have written off a solid team b/c of the previous season with little consideration of the tremendous effect injuries can have on a squad. Any team that brings a guy off the street and starts him at an Oline spot that week is totally screwed. Solve that problem with guys coming back to health and two big Oline players in the top 36 picks and a quick turnaround is within reach.

I agree Holt is a great add. Exactly the type of go-to guy Garrard needs. Someone that will be in the right spot and make the catch. The pass game is just a changeup anyway, all you need for the system is a reliable, consistent WR. Holt is exactly that.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:35 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

don't sleep on Derek Landri either. I like him a lot as a pass rushing specialist in nickel formations.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:53 PM    (permalink
garrard9
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Jag View Post
In other news, you are not a legitimate Jags fan unless you're repping the Jags by wearing a beard.
I haven't shaved in about a week but now I'm growing it out.

sig by jkpigskin
Old 08-04-2009, 11:30 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
don't sleep on Derek Landri either. I like him a lot as a pass rushing specialist in nickel formations.
Atiyyah Ellison is currently the first team DT alongside Big John. Terrence Knighton has probably the best shot to start. Rob Meier and Derek Landri are great situational guys.

I'm going with a 7-9 Jaguars season. I like the positivity vibe that I'm feeling, and I'm tempted to ride it, but I'm staying safe...

Oh screw it. I like this team. But still no playoffs. 9-7 it is.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 08-05-2009, 01:51 PM    (permalink
garrard9
Rookie

Oklahoma Drill Tonight!!!!

sig by jkpigskin
Old 08-05-2009, 03:34 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrard9 View Post
Oklahoma Drill Tonight!!!!
i wanna go damnit

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 08-07-2009, 04:21 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...t=34748&page=4

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
Old 08-10-2009, 09:32 AM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

i think we'll be ok this season. If we can just stay healthy and progress on the o-line i think we can win the division.