Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:51 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChampIsHere View Post
what are you haters talking about? Freeney is one of the most game-changing defenders in the game.
Since when has he been a game changer, he's been criticzed for not making the sacks/big plays when Indy was down

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:53 PM    (permalink
HoopsDemon12
Pro Bowler

HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
...and more than one syringes of HGH...

Anyway, good move for both parties. You can talk about the money all you want, but the Colts need Dwight Freeney. And if Freeney hit the FA market this year, he would have likely gotten a similar contract. Plus, like someone said, the contract is probably hevily backloaded. So in four or five years when he's declining, he'll have to restructure or be cut.
freeney only had one then?

Sig By Diehardvikingfan
HoopsDemon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:53 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Freeney seems more of a pilates kinda guy.

Shwas referring to Merriman with the HGH comment.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:58 PM    (permalink
JagHombre22
Pro Bowler

JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.

dwight freeney has gotten a majority of his sacks on turf (at home), he's disappeared in the road games...and RB's don't shy away from his side, they know that he over pursues a majority of the time...just another straw that will eventually break the camel's back...

the colts, in a few years, will be one of the worst cap disasters in recent years...
JagHombre22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:02 PM    (permalink
HoopsDemon12
Pro Bowler

HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
Freeney seems more of a pilates kinda guy.

Shwas referring to Merriman with the HGH comment.
i know i was just saying i guess freeney only has one if merriman has more haha... but ya if i do recall.. freeney gets critized because he only makes sacks when they are ahead and the other team is passing more

Sig By Diehardvikingfan
Old 07-13-2007, 05:12 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think at this point Freeney is a bit overrated. He's been overpaid. Let's hope he shows some reason to warrant all that money because i like Dwight and would hate to see him have another sorry season.

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:25 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree, Ive watched a lot of colts games, and Freeney is really overratted. Im not saying hes bad, But a lot of analysts try to make him sound like hes the best defensive end in the nfl as of right now (ahem, espn, cough). its a good signing for the colts, however, he is getting way too much if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:29 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagHombre22 View Post
dwight freeney has gotten a majority of his sacks on turf (at home), he's disappeared in the road games...and RB's don't shy away from his side, they know that he over pursues a majority of the time...just another straw that will eventually break the camel's back...

the colts, in a few years, will be one of the worst cap disasters in recent years...
That's one strong camel, since I've been hearing this "window of oppurtunity is closing" and "cap hell is coming" crap since the first division title. Considering he helped to invent the cap, I'd think Bill Polian would know a thing or two about it, like how to work with it.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:31 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think i posted an article a while back from rotoworld about how freeney wanted a 30 million signing bonus. I never thought he would actually get it though. But in today's FA, you pretty much have to overpay.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:34 PM    (permalink
HoopsDemon12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
I think i posted an article a while back from rotoworld about how freeney wanted a 30 million signing bonus. I never thought he would actually get it though. But in today's FA, you pretty much have to overpay.
and 49wers fans know of that all to well.... you can have we dont want him anymroe haha

Sig By Diehardvikingfan
Old 07-13-2007, 06:48 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderz4life View Post
I think at this point Freeney is a bit overrated. He's been overpaid. Let's hope he shows some reason to warrant all that money because i like Dwight and would hate to see him have another sorry season.
Sorry season? Considering the help he had defensively (practically none until the postseason), I'd say he had a pretty solid season. The DT play was atrocious at times, the LB play was atrocious at times, and the secondary play was average, but terrible against the run. The DEs were the only consistently good players on the defense, and it showed.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
Old 07-13-2007, 06:51 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd say he gets double digit sacks for the next 3-4 years. But I doubt he would have excepted a deal in that range, considering he would hit the market in his early 30s. But for these next few years he will wrack up sacks. Too much, but what free agent isn't now adays? A good guard (Derrick Dockery) is now getting upwards near 50 million!
BamaFalcon59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:54 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
Well, it's all about how much of the salary cap the player is taking up. This year, considering the deal saved the Colts $3.68 million on the cap this year, that means Freeney will be making $5.75 million this season against the cap, or 5.38% of the Colts' cap room, assuming no adjustments from the league-wide $107 million cap. He's definitely worth that to the Colts.

Quote:
Old 07-13-2007, 06:54 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's a lot of money (), more than I would have paid personally, though I can't say I completely shocked. Salaries are continuing to rise in tandem with the cap, and the market was going to get here soon enough anyways with other DEs like Julius Peppers and Terrell Suggs. Heck, obscene money was paid to Mario Williams without having played a single snap, because of want for a franchise, playmaking DE.

Polian and Irsay signed off on the extension, they obviously think things will work. That said, Tarik Glenn leaving in FA was pretty much given but now Bob Sanders and Dallas Clark likely will as well, unless some things happen - e.g. Manning and Harrison sign new contracts - within a year's time.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:15 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
That said, Tarik Glenn leaving in FA was pretty much given but now Bob Sanders and Dallas Clark likely will as well, unless some things happen - e.g. Manning and Harrison sign new contracts - within a year's time.
Uh...why? The cap will increase, and Glenn's salary coming off the books will more than cover the increase in Freeney's contract. I think one of two is a goner (my choice in that unenviable situation would be Clark), but not both.

Quote:
Old 07-13-2007, 07:18 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We'll see, I guess. Let's see how Sanders fares playing a full season first.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:21 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
We'll see, I guess. Let's see how Sanders fares playing a full season first.
As I recall he did pretty well at that in 2005.

Quote:
Old 07-13-2007, 07:52 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Well, it's all about how much of the salary cap the player is taking up. This year, considering the deal saved the Colts $3.68 million on the cap this year, that means Freeney will be making $5.75 million this season against the cap, or 5.38% of the Colts' cap room, assuming no adjustments from the league-wide $107 million cap. He's definitely worth that to the Colts.
Your looking at the small scale, not long term. You gave him 30 million dollars in a signing bonus and his contract is averaging 12+ million dollars in the first 3 years. That will hurt more then his production will help.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:04 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg819 View Post
Your looking at the small scale, not long term. You gave him 30 million dollars in a signing bonus and his contract is averaging 12+ million dollars in the first 3 years. That will hurt more then his production will help.
No, I know where the money to cover his contract is coming from. That's why Tony Ugoh was drafted. The team decided that a young playmaking DE was more important to keep than an aging LT.

Quote:
Old 07-13-2007, 08:21 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
No, I know where the money to cover his contract is coming from. That's why Tony Ugoh was drafted. The team decided that a young playmaking DE was more important to keep than an aging LT.
So in other words, keeping Freeney who is coming off a down year is more important then protecting Manning's blind side. Wow thats risky......

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:50 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So in other words, keeping Freeney who is coming off a down year is more important then protecting Manning's blind side. Wow thats risky......
Considering Glenn is 4 years older than Freeney, and while Glenn is a fantastic player, it isn't in the same tier of OTs than Freeney is for DEs.

I really don't get why people are saying this is bad. Freeney is a premiere player and he got a premiere contract. He is in his prime, relatively young, and ridiculously important to the franchise. To say that was too much money is ridiculous because the market has changed. There are above average offensive guards making 7+ million a year, Joey Porter got $20 mil guaranteed. Freeney is a top flight player at a premier position, him getting that money or that length of contract is not absurd at all.

And even if you think all of that is ridiculous, there aren't many, if any, front offices than the Colts, they won a super bowl with something like 2 players from FA starting, at least give them some room for error, considering they haven't made many in the past.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:11 PM    (permalink
simms2clayton

How is Freeney a premeier player...he doesn't play the run very well and his pass rushing skills seem to have diminished from 06 to 07.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:13 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
They're replacing Tarik Glenn, not simply letting him walk without a plan.

Quote:
Old 07-13-2007, 09:14 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms2clayton View Post
How is Freeney a premeier player...he doesn't play the run very well and his pass rushing skills seem to have diminished from 06 to 07.
You've never heard of pressures, right?

Quote:
Old 07-13-2007, 09:16 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Blah. This screws up the Will Smith negotiations.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote