Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 07-16-2007, 10:40 AM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default How Good is Paul Oliver?

was he really gonna be a top 10 pick next year?

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:49 AM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

Man_Of_Steel hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder&Lightning View Post
No, he wasnt going to be a top ten pick. Alot of people think he was a late first early second but I think he would have been a solid second. Not too many knocks on him however his speed is sub-par. Jack of all trades to me that does everything you look for but isnt great in everything.
Man_Of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:04 AM    (permalink
nbarnett56
Veteran

nbarnett56 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I thought he was pretty overrated. That game where he "shut Calvin Johnson down" Reggie Ball threw for a whopping 42 yards. Granted Oliver did make some good coverage plays though in that game. Overall I think he will be a solid player. He won't have to come in and start will be behind Jammer and Cromartie so he will pretty much just be a nickleback.

As always, the draft is hit and miss. Players come out of nowhere and become 1st round picks so its tough to say. He is in a good situation though so time will tell.
nbarnett56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:12 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder&Lightning View Post
Yes, but only if he measured in a the reported 6'0 205 and ran the reported 4.3/4.4.
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:52 PM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

eacantdraft smells like sex panther.

No he isn't very good. He was the 4th round pick that he was. Probably would be a good nickleback, not that good of a CB.
eacantdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:55 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Have you ever even seen him play ea? For some reason I think you haven't.

Oliver would have been at worst the #2 preseason senior CB and there is a legitimate argument for him being the #1. Him being a top 10 pick next year would have been dependent on his senior season but preseason there is an argument for it.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:13 PM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
Have you ever even seen him play ea? For some reason I think you haven't.

Oliver would have been at worst the #2 preseason senior CB and there is a legitimate argument for him being the #1. Him being a top 10 pick next year would have been dependent on his senior season but preseason there is an argument for it.
Oliver had a slow 40 time. And there was a reason why he was chosen in the 4th round and not the 1st round. One day he may be a good NFL player, but he was not a top 10 prospect in quality.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:18 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is that why Scott has him as the #7 senior? Oliver's 40 time and workout are irrelevant because if he was playing next year none of that would be known. Where you are picked in the supplemental doesn't reflect where you would have actually gone in the real draft. Would Oliver definitely been a top 10 pick, no clue, but if he wasn't in the supplemental he would be projected there.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:34 PM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Is that why Scott has him as the #7 senior? Oliver's 40 time and workout are irrelevant because if he was playing next year none of that would be known. Where you are picked in the supplemental doesn't reflect where you would have actually gone in the real draft. Would Oliver definitely been a top 10 pick, no clue, but if he wasn't in the supplemental he would be projected there.
Oliver's workout totals would have sent his stock spiraling in the regular draft just like it did the supplemental draft. There has been plenty of players who went in the 1st round of the supplemental draft (surprisingly most were busts), so if Oliver was highly ranked, he would have gone in the 1st or 2nd round.

Workouts can make or break a player's draft status more than anything they did on the field in college.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacantdraft View Post
Oliver had a slow 40 time. And there was a reason why he was chosen in the 4th round and not the 1st round. One day he may be a good NFL player, but he was not a top 10 prospect in quality.
His slow 40 time likely had a lot to do with a lack of time to train for it.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I personally think we would have seen Oliver fall off a little. Georgia lost both of its disruptors on that defensive line in Moses and Johnson, something that played a huge part in the success of that secondary.

I thought Oliver played well last year, but I wasn't sure I saw fantastic lock-down skill. He most certainly would have gone within the first two round barring a terrible season, but I don't think he was the next big thing at cornerback either.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:19 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
No he isn't very good. He was the 4th round pick that he was. Probably would be a good nickleback, not that good of a CB.
If he's so slow, as you say he is in your next quote, nickelback is not a good position for him. You're nickel should be a quick guy if he's gonan be matched up on a speedy receiver usually...why would you want a slow guy there...he makes a better #2 corner.

Quote:
Maybe he was chosen in the 4th because it was the supplemental draft. I don't know many teams who would be willing to throw out a first rounder for next year in a supplemental draft.

Quote:
Oliver's workout totals would have sent his stock spiraling in the regular draft just like it did the supplemental draft. There has been plenty of players who went in the 1st round of the supplemental draft (surprisingly most were busts), so if Oliver was highly ranked, he would have gone in the 1st or 2nd round.

Workouts can make or break a player's draft status more than anything they did on the field in college.
Oliver also had less time to prepare, like all the other prospects did. But even so, assuming he's slow I doubt it drops him to day two. It could but who knows. At this point though, he's not a fourth rounder. I know a few players have gone in round two, but who are these players who have gone in round one? I could be wrong I haven't researched the Supplemental draft history, but I can't think of too many 1st round supplemental players.

Edit: After looking it up a little, I only see about 5-6 players taken in the first round, and a couple more taken in round two, and most of the first rounders are from a longer time back, like Kosar, Bosworth, Rob Moore, Steve Walsh, Bobby Humphrey, and Dave Wilson. None of those guys were drafted in the past ten years though, so clearly there has been a trend away from using first rounders in the supplemental draft. The whole "he would've been drafted in the first if he was that good" argument doesn't have much weight.

Last edited by JK17 : 07-16-2007 at 11:28 PM.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:25 PM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.

Quote:
jon clayton on espn says that the supplemental draft translates roughly to one round lower from the draft in april...
Average OT LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:29 PM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
If he's so slow, as you say he is in your next quote, nickelback is not a good position for him. You're nickel should be a quick guy if he's gonan be matched up on a speedy receiver usually...why would you want a slow guy there...he makes a better #2 corner.

Maybe he was chosen in the 4th because it was the supplemental draft. I don't know many teams who would be willing to throw out a first rounder for next year in a supplemental draft.

Oliver also had less time to prepare, like all the other prospects did. But even so, assuming he's slow I doubt it drops him to day two. It could but who knows. At this point though, he's not a fourth rounder. I know a few players have gone in round two, but who are these players who have gone in round one? I could be wrong I haven't researched the Supplemental draft history, but I can't think of too many 1st round supplemental players.
You're pretty much right on, nobody is silly enough to submit a first round bid for a supplemental player... However Oliver's slow speed and low intelligence alone could easily drop him to day two, especially considering his position.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:31 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average OT LB View Post
jon clayton on espn says that the supplemental draft translates roughly to one round lower from the draft in april...
That's definitely not an exact science, but Oliver is/was being talked about as a first rounder...So were some third rounders this year, at this point, last year, but I don't know if Oliver would have fallen that far. It's possible but the point remains the same, Your draft status in the supplemental draft has little correlation wtih your actual draft value.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:34 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You're pretty much right on, nobody is silly enough to submit a first round bid for a supplemental player... However Oliver's slow speed and low intelligence alone could easily drop him to day two, especially considering his position.
Yeah, it definitely could have, but I don't know if it drops him that far still. Then again, look at Daymeighon Hughes who had a good senior year and fell to the end of the third because he was slow. Definitely wasn't going to be a top ten pick I don't think, and could easily have fallen to day two...I don't know how much of his poor speed though can be attributed to his lack of preparation time. The other guys numbers' who prepare for the combine and pro days have a lot of time to get ready and workout, whereas Oliver didn't really. No excuses still, but its all guesswork to know where he would have been at next year, at the combine.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:37 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We'll never know, will we?

The guy ran a 4.4 out of high school, he just had no time to train. I'm not worried about his speed. The guy is in an ideal situation for a corner to learn and develop; monster pass rush, experienced veterans, no pressure. I think he has a very solid career ahead of him.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:38 PM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, it definitely could have, but I don't know if it drops him that far still. Then again, look at Daymeighon Hughes who had a good senior year and fell to the end of the third because he was slow. Definitely wasn't going to be a top ten pick I don't think, and could easily have fallen to day two...I don't know how much of his poor speed though can be attributed to his lack of preparation time. The other guys numbers' who prepare for the combine and pro days have a lot of time to get ready and workout, whereas Oliver didn't really. No excuses still, but its all guesswork to know where he would have been at next year, at the combine.
yeah the preperation is a good point, and maybe he isnt as slow as we think he is. What i do know is that hes not fast, and if hes not fast he cant play nickel. If he cant play nick he might as well not play cb casue where would he play. That would mean hed have to be a backup to the safeties, mccree hart jue weddle.. wow 5th safety? im liking his chances of making the team..
heres a thought, maybe we drafted him to replace hank milligan, on special teams. I bet that positions worth a 4th rounder..
Old 07-16-2007, 11:42 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
yeah the preperation is a good point, and maybe he isnt as slow as we think he is. What i do know is that hes not fast, and if hes not fast he cant play nickel. If he cant play nick he might as well not play cb casue where would he play. That would mean hed have to be a backup to the safeties, mccree hart jue weddle.. wow 5th safety? im liking his chances of making the team..
heres a thought, maybe we drafted him to replace hank milligan, on special teams. I bet that positions worth a 4th rounder..
We'll also have to see where his game speed is at though. I'm not an expert on Oliver and to be honest, as much as I love the draft, I don't know too much about the prospects until the draft comes closer, because I'm a much bigger NFL fan then NCAA fan. I do know though, that lots of times game speed differs from workout speed. Maybe Oliver can keep up as the nickel maybe not. Maybe he's not intended to play nickel, maybe he'll be a better backup safety, backup cornerback, situational player who knows. Maybe they're doing it to push Cromartie to play when Florence is gone after this year, maybe its just for cornerback and safety depth in general. Maybe they want him to start one day at cornerback or safety, who knows what they want, but I'm willing to wait on ruling out the positions he can't play until we see him on the field and see that he's too slow.

ChargerCohen just said he ran a 4.4 out of High School. Whether he can still do that, whether it was mistimed, who knows, but if he can run that speed, and does it towards TC or the season, thats not to slow for a nickelback, if you ask me.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:45 PM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Quote:
We'll also have to see where his game speed is at though. I'm not an expert on Oliver and to be honest, as much as I love the draft, I don't know too much about the prospects until the draft comes closer, because I'm a much bigger NFL fan then NCAA fan. I do know though, that lots of times game speed differs from workout speed. Maybe Oliver can keep up as the nickel maybe not. Maybe he's not intended to play nickel, maybe he'll be a better backup safety, backup cornerback, situational player who knows. Maybe they're doing it to push Cromartie to play when Florence is gone after this year, maybe its just for cornerback and safety depth in general. Maybe they want him to start one day at cornerback or safety, who knows what they want, but I'm willing to wait on ruling out the positions he can't play until we see him on the field and see that he's too slow.

ChargerCohen just said he ran a 4.4 out of High School. Whether he can still do that, whether it was mistimed, who knows, but if he can run that speed, and does it towards TC or the season, thats not to slow for a nickelback, if you ask me.
yeah well 4.4 was 4 years ago and im sure alot less bulk.. remember you dont walk into the nfl the same weight you walk into college as..

as for the positions sure who knows where hes going but it makes you wonder what the hell we're doing.. just like scott chandler... please tell me a charger fan understands that pick.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:01 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
yeah well 4.4 was 4 years ago and im sure alot less bulk.. remember you dont walk into the nfl the same weight you walk into college as..

as for the positions sure who knows where hes going but it makes you wonder what the hell we're doing.. just like scott chandler... please tell me a charger fan understands that pick.
Yeah I'm not really impressed by something he did 4 years ago, its just something to ponder.

Apparently, Chandler has been doing good...When he'll play, or what he'll be used for beats me. But from what I hear, he looks like a player...
Old 07-17-2007, 12:20 AM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah I'm not really impressed by something he did 4 years ago, its just something to ponder.

Apparently, Chandler has been doing good...When he'll play, or what he'll be used for beats me. But from what I hear, he looks like a player...
while we're speaking of players that seem to have no point.. what about legedu what of him? i dont exactly like the idea of him going antwaan randle el on us and playin qb or smething stupid.. whats his future anybody know?
Old 07-17-2007, 12:25 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
while we're speaking of players that seem to have no point.. what about legedu what of him? i dont exactly like the idea of him going antwaan randle el on us and playin qb or smething stupid.. whats his future anybody know?
I read they are using him as an H-Back, and possibly someone to fill in for Neal down the road? (I think I heard that somewhere, but it doesn't make much sense to me)....

Maybe he'll do good as an H-Back, but who knows...it was a weird draft.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:34 AM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Quote:
I read they are using him as an H-Back, and possibly someone to fill in for Neal down the road? (I think I heard that somewhere, but it doesn't make much sense to me)....

Maybe he'll do good as an H-Back, but who knows...it was a weird draft.
i have a feeling hes purely for special teams.. and that a couple guys who played last year wont make the team..

its crazy to think wed draft someone for special teams, but i guess that maybe if you're as good as we are you can do that?
Old 07-17-2007, 12:47 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
i have a feeling hes purely for special teams.. and that a couple guys who played last year wont make the team..

its crazy to think wed draft someone for special teams, but i guess that maybe if you're as good as we are you can do that?
Well now you're just being cocky...and you will get destroyed for that. You better hope it doesn't bite you in the ass either, and we really flop.