Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:46 PM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
That's what I'm saying. If we can get an above-average pass-rush out of James and Edwards, I think our defense could be in the upper-echelon of the NFC and maybe NFL. That is all our defense is missing right now.
Our defense being called mediocre by a Packers fan, pfft.
BuckNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:48 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How does a healthy Chad Greenway make up for anything. He is still an unknown in this league. I never thought he could be a legit LB in this league last year and was so glad when the Vikes took him just because then the Giants couldn't. He is soft.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:51 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Texans are the worst team on paper in my viewpoint. They're my selection for 1st overall pick next year. The Vikings at least have a defence.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:51 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Bengals at 17? His reason, they were middle of the pack last year in terms of record. Did he even watch any games? Did he see how they lost? Carson Palmer was coming off a major injury....The Bengals are the team no one wants to play, because they know just how potent that offense is. Make no mistake, it is the league's most high-powered. The D is coming around, they have a lot less players in trouble this year, which became a serious distraction. The Bengals are a legitimate superbowl contender this year if you ask me and for him to put the likes of Detroit, Pittsburgh, Seattle, STL, NYJ, Dallas and Tennessee over them is just silly.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
Texans are the worst team on paper in my viewpoint. They're my selection for 1st overall pick next year. The Vikings at least have a defence.
Do you expect them to be as dominant in stopping the run as they were last year?
Old 07-17-2007, 12:54 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Do you expect them to be as dominant in stopping the run as they were last year?
Was this sarcrastic? They were in the bottom half of the league in rush defence...
Old 07-17-2007, 12:55 PM    (permalink
BrownsTown
All-Pro

BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How does a healthy Chad Greenway make up for anything. He is still an unknown in this league. I never thought he could be a legit LB in this league last year and was so glad when the Vikes took him just because then the Giants couldn't. He is soft.
He can cover, he can tackle, and he's a hard worker. Sure he doesn't have these incredible physical tools, but he's consistent and just a good, fundamentaly sound, smart LB. You're writing him off after 1 season which he didn't even play in? Wow.
BrownsTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:00 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Was this sarcrastic? They were in the bottom half of the league in rush defence...
I'm talking about the Vikings.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:02 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownsTown View Post
He can cover, he can tackle, and he's a hard worker. Sure he doesn't have these incredible physical tools, but he's consistent and just a good, fundamentaly sound, smart LB. You're writing him off after 1 season which he didn't even play in? Wow.
Actually for the record, I was writing him off before he got drafted. Regardless he has no experience playing on Sundays yet. Not neccesarily an upgrade. He has just as many question marks as he does answers.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:05 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChampIsHere View Post
Bengals at 17? His reason, they were middle of the pack last year in terms of record. Did he even watch any games? Did he see how they lost? Carson Palmer was coming off a major injury....The Bengals are the team no one wants to play, because they know just how potent that offense is. Make no mistake, it is the league's most high-powered. The D is coming around, they have a lot less players in trouble this year, which became a serious distraction. The Bengals are a legitimate superbowl contender this year if you ask me and for him to put the likes of Detroit, Pittsburgh, Seattle, STL, NYJ, Dallas and Tennessee over them is just silly.
Thank you, nice to see someone else realizes how horrible that is. To be honest I don't think we're a heavy SB contender but we'll make the playoffs, maybe go a round but nothing more. It annoys me that he assumes other teams players will improve while ours won't, we're a young team... Especially on defense and have a much easier schedule this year.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:10 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I'm talking about the Vikings.
Ohhh...

Will they be AS good? Maybe not. Will they be good? I would expect so.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:12 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Ohhh...

Will they be AS good? Maybe not. Will they be good? I would expect so.
I guess thats where I disagree. Last year they were so much better than any other team in run defense. I think it was a fluke. They just don't have the personnel to be truly that good of a run defense.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:15 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
well at least they'll be able to take McFadden unless they screw up again and take Calais.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I question how much of Greenway you've seen to call him soft, Jughead. In fact, I'm inclined to believe you're basing your opinion on Greenway's lackluster bench reps in the pre-Draft process, more than anything.

As for the Bengals offense, it's easy to call them high-powered because they are so inconsistent. They love the deep ball way too much, and it costs them. When they can get over their damn highlight reels and press clippings and become a methodical, consistent machine on offense, maybe then they can actually win the games that count. They might advance past the wild card round in the playoffs, if they can draw a dud like the 06 Jets who don't belong there in the first place, but that's assuming the Bengals actually qualify for the tournament.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionSmack View Post
King has overrated the Lions almost every year lately. I think at this point he's kind of throwing good money after bad, and figuring one of these years he'll be right and look really good. After all, the NFL is all about total surprises, and if you're looking for a dark horse team to back, they don't get darker than the Lions.
I think he even mentioned that he is putting them that high in hopes they do well. I am sure if the Lions somehow end up doing well, he will boast about calling it all season.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Michigan
Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Pro Bowler

Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Saints at 4? Anyone else think thats way too high?
Old 07-17-2007, 01:25 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I guess thats where I disagree. Last year they were so much better than any other team in run defense. I think it was a fluke. They just don't have the personnel to be truly that good of a run defense.
Pat Williams and Kevin Williams could be the dest DT duo in the league. That interior was amazing. The DEs were pretty terrible overall but they were much better against the run than versus the pass. The linebackers are an OK unit but they are really tailored to play against the run. The secondary is pretty good at stopping the run too, especially with guys like Winfield back there.

Overall, I think they definitely have a talented run defence. It all starts up front and the Williams Bros. make it impossible to run it up the gut.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:26 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's not surprising for King, he gets on his knees and puckers his lips for the Saints - and Drew Brees especially - like no other.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:26 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I question how much of Greenway you've seen to call him soft, Jughead. In fact, I'm inclined to believe you're basing your opinion on Greenway's lackluster bench reps in the pre-Draft process, more than anything.

As for the Bengals offense, it's easy to call them high-powered because they are so inconsistent. They love the deep ball way too much, and it costs them. When they can get over their damn highlight reels and press clippings and become a methodical, consistent machine on offense, maybe then they can actually win the games that count. They might advance past the wild card round in the playoffs, if they can draw a dud like the 06 Jets who don't belong there in the first place, but that's assuming the Bengals actually qualify for the tournament.
Or the fact that he ran around blocks his entire career at Iowa and was frequently outshined by Abdul Hodge who was subsequently picked after him.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:29 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm fairly certain the Bengals will make the playoffs, easy schedule and I can't help but expect better luck than last year. I'm pleased with the team but until they prove they can beat Indy or New England I refuse to consider us a SB contender. We've got New England week 4 but I'm already considering that a L. The only two teams that really concern me are the Colts/Pats, the rest I think we can beat.

I think our reliance on the long ball last year was a combo of problems. The injured Oline and injury to Chris Perry hurt our offense as a unit and they felt they had to rely more on the long ball. While going deep is a strength of our offense you're right the reliance on it needs to steady. It seems like all that Chad did last year was go deep or run curls to the sideline. Tab Perry was also hurt and he combines with TJ to be our more midrange WR's while Chad/Henry go deep. It'll help the offense having Tab back.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:32 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's not surprising for King, he gets on his knees and puckers his lips for the Saints - and Drew Brees especially - like no other.
King is kind of a tool to begin with, in my opinion.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:33 PM    (permalink
HoopsDemon12
Pro Bowler

HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
Browns get Joe Thomas, Eric Steinbach, an upgrade at RB (a huge question mark though.) a year under the belts of Winslow/Edwards, a corner to start opposite of Bodden, upgrades on the d-line, and possibly the return of LeCharles, not to mention the addition of Quinn who should play some time during the season, and we go down to 32nd... I don't get it!
i think its just based on the fact before that kamerion wimbley draft... those other drafts were prttty terrible... maybe he just thinks they need a couple more young talented players and then have your first day picks perform before he ranks you higher... sucks you dont have your first rounder next year though... but i like quinn over both of the other QB's personally... but to be fair i havnt liked many qb's in the past draft or this one...

Sig By Diehardvikingfan
HoopsDemon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:35 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Greenway outshined by Hodge? Did you watch anything more than the last bowl game they played in? GTFO.

Greenway's job wasn't to block, it was to tackle and cover. And he did it better than anyone else on his last two Iowa teams, including Abdul Hodge who is ridiculously one-dimensional and will be lucky to see much action in the pros past special teams because of it.

I still get a laugh at the idiots at Colts.com who wanted Hodge so desperately, incidentally. He's not even an upgrade on Rob Morris.

Last edited by Geo : 07-17-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:46 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
I really think Detroit is gonna improve but teams dont go from 2-14 to 7-9 or 8-8 in a year
2005 New Orleans Saints: #2 Pick in the Draft
2006 New Orleans Saints: NFC Runners Up.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:46 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Greenway outshined by Hodge? Did you watch anything more than the last bowl game they played in? GTFO.

Greenway's job wasn't to block, it was to tackle and cover. And he did it better than anyone else on his last two Iowa teams, including Abdul Hodge who is ridiculously one-dimensional and will be lucky to see much action in the pros past special teams because of it.

I still get a laugh at the idiots at Colts.com who wanted Hodge so desperately, incidentally. He's not even an upgrade on Rob Morris.
Who said anything about Greenway blocking? They were talking about Greenway running around blocks because he couldn't take them on. That's not something that can be done at the pro level.

Greenway is unproven and thinking he's going to be a big upgrade over what the Vikings already have is likely wishful thinking.