Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:47 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The success of our defense is irrelevant if our offense produces how it did last year.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:50 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's replacing Napolean Harris, for crying out loud.

Although, EJ Henderson is moving to MIKE and Greenway will be playing WILL. zomg, think of the blocks he'll have to get through as the WLB!!11!1ones!!

Old 07-17-2007, 01:50 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No team with an O-Line as deep and talented as Cleveland's is gonna finish last place. Heck, they won 4 games last year with a pathetic O-LIne, no RB, no CBs, and a really sorry OC. Not to mention KW2 was playing on 1 knee and Edwards was just returning from a torn ACL. If anything the fact that Anderson and Frye are a year more experienced with a much better run game behind them will give the Browns 6 to 8 wins probably.

As for Minnesota and Tennessee, I could see either of those teams just as easily making the playoffs as finishing with a top 5 pick. That's life in the NFL though.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:52 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You don't have to be that great at taking on blocks if you play OLB in a cover 2. Greenway will do just fine in Minnesota. He will be a major upgrade over Napoleon Harris, at least in that system anyways. Minnesota's success depends on T.Jackson and that lousy WR unit he has to work with. Hopefully AD and C.Taylor can be as successful as Jones-Drew and Taylor were in Jacksonville's offense with 8 guys in the box all the time.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:53 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
He's replacing Napolean Harris, for crying out loud.

Although, EJ Henderson is moving to MIKE and Greenway will be playing WILL. zomg, think of the blocks he'll have to get through as the WLB!!11!1ones!!

Your sarcasm is making you look like an idiot if you think that any linebacker won't take on blocks nearly every play. If you don't block the front seven, you don't gain yards. Simple as that.

Also, if you think a rookie who hasn't played a snap in the NFL is going to be a significant upgrade over a seasoned NFL veteran in his first season you are likely mistaken.

Last edited by Moses : 07-17-2007 at 02:13 PM.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:00 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm interested to see how the AFC North pans out.

Cleveland should be better, but we'll see by how much - starting anyone but Frye is a definite improvement, regardless. The Ravens defense could repeat as division champs, despite being saddled with an offense that puts the ball in the hands of either "Dead Air" McNair or Willis "Playbooks, Shmaybooks" McGahee on every play. Bengals and Steelers could bounce back, of course.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:10 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was pretty disappointed to Harris leave. I thought he had a good year, when he played.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
Browns get Joe Thomas, Eric Steinbach, an upgrade at RB (a huge question mark though.) a year under the belts of Winslow/Edwards, a corner to start opposite of Bodden, upgrades on the d-line, and possibly the return of LeCharles, not to mention the addition of Quinn who should play some time during the season, and we go down to 32nd... I don't get it!
Just tells you how bad they were before all that.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:47 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
Why? Tell me why this will happen. You seem to think you know everything you're talking about, which you never do. Explain to me how we've gotten so much worse from last year.
Well, to be fair, the Vikings were 2-8 over their last 10 games. So they could actually improve and still only win 4-5 games.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:22 PM    (permalink
rchrd
Veteran

rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All this Viking talk makes me uncomfortable. Last year early doors it was 'they can run and stop the run, they're looking good to make the playoffs'. We all know how that ended...

The thing about having a bunch of unknowns is that it's fairly irresponsible to use that as a benchmark for how they will actually produce (ie. they're unknown so you're not allowed to predict improvement, you can only use them as an argument for weakness, an argument used a few times already in this thread).

Saying that, I liked Tomlin a lot and think that loss will show. With a weaker schedule i'd say the WR and QB situation isnt as bad as at first glance (run, run, run, run and run again), but the schedule has the potential of being brutal we could very well end up with a high pick. This team is geared towards future production not instant impact. Sprinkled in with a few pieces to avoid complete collapse also with the potential to surprise.

For those reasons I have no problem with low expectations, I just dont think it's overly insightful to say we'll be bad because of unknowns. Then again that's hardly unique to the Vikings so no need to get defensive.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:53 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

I'd rather have Leslie Frazier coaching my secondary than Mike Tomlin, Frazier being the new defensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:26 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
Texans are the worst team on paper in my viewpoint. They're my selection for 1st overall pick next year. The Vikings at least have a defence.
You must be looking at a different paper then I am. I'll stick with BBD on the 'Houston Texans as a surprise team' bandwagon, thank you very much.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:34 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Quote:
Talk of the Houston Texans and the Tennessee Titans as potential playoff teams amuses me: they are going to be picking in the Top 5 for yet another year in the Draft imo. Much as I'd love to see the AFC South be a strong conference from top to bottom, to better prepare the Colts for the playoffs, I know firsthand the schedule that the teams in the conference have to play and both the Titans and the Texans are going to struggle to get victories.

Houston Texans
Sep 9 Kansas City
Sep 16 @Carolina
Sep 23 Indianapolis
Sep 30 @Atlanta
Oct 7 Miami
Oct 14 @Jacksonville
Oct 21 Tennessee
Oct 28 @San Diego
Nov 4 @Oakland
Week 10 BYE
Nov 18 New Orleans
Nov 25 @Cleveland
Dec 2 @Tennessee
Dec 9 Tampa Bay
Dec 13 Denver
Dec 23 @Indianapolis
Dec 30 Jacksonville
How many wins do you see from this schedule, Shiver? I'm just wondering.

Last edited by Geo : 07-17-2007 at 05:36 PM.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:37 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pre-season S.O.S is inherently flawed. I put next to zero stock into it. At this time last year facing the Saints would have been a cupcake game and facing Miami would have been a challenge.

If I were to guess I see 6-7 wins in there, but I personally see them getting around .500, but that's just me. I'm on the bandwagon, and I take it upon myself to go down with the sinking ship if necessary.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:59 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Your sarcasm is making you look like an idiot if you think that any linebacker won't take on blocks nearly every play. If you don't block the front seven, you don't gain yards. Simple as that.

Also, if you think a rookie who hasn't played a snap in the NFL is going to be a significant upgrade over a seasoned NFL veteran in his first season you are likely mistaken.
You don't know much about the Tampa 2 scheme, do you? Also, Greenway isn't a rookie. He hasn't really been on even the practice field much yet, but he's been there more than a rookie, and he's had a year to study the scheme he'll be playing in as well as his position.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:18 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Was this sarcrastic? They were in the bottom half of the league in rush defence...
I really think the Texan defense will be much better, its their offense we should be worried about, theyre questionable at QB, RB, and OL

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:19 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Pre-season S.O.S is inherently flawed.
Exactly. S.O.S. is basically a complete unknown until season's end.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:43 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
I really think the Texan defense will be much better, its their offense we should be worried about, theyre questionable at QB, RB, and OL
The Texans are okay at RB, granted there isn't anyone close to a home-run threat of any type with Green/Dayne/Lundy, but that's solid if unspectacular depth to carry the ball. I'd be surprised if Kubiak doesn't tweak his offense to give Green, who catches the ball well, a high number of receptions as available receiving options down the field could be slim and the offense line can hold on for only so long. But Kubiak has made screwing up an art form thus far in his tenure, so who knows.

The secondary however is still be suspect, I think. Dunta Robinson, like Andre Johnson on the other side of the ball, is an excellent player who deserves more pub, but one man does not a successful secondary make. And we saw that last year, even with an improved front seven. Speaking of, the Amobi Okoye pick was a great one by the Texans, but I think Okoye in his transition to the pros will experience growing pains as a rookie and then make his mark afterwards.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:50 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Texans are okay at RB, granted there isn't anyone close to a home-run threat of any type with Green/Dayne/Lundy, but that's solid if unspectacular depth to carry the ball. I'd be surprised if Kubiak doesn't tweak his offense to give Green, who catches the ball well, a high number of receptions as available receiving options down the field could be slim and the offense line can hold on for only so long. But Kubiak has made screwing up an art form thus far in his tenure, so who knows.

The secondary however is still be suspect, I think. Dunta Robinson, like Andre Johnson on the other side of the ball, is an excellent player who deserves more pub, but one man does not a successful secondary make. And we saw that last year, even with an improved front seven. Speaking of, the Amobi Okoye pick was a great one by the Texans, but I think Okoye in his transition to the pros will experience growing pains as a rookie and then make his mark afterwards.
Is Mathis healthy? If he is he's an instant boost to the special teams, and yes I know Green is a good reciever out of the backfield.

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:25 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:

How so? It isn't his fault that he inherited a lousy team from Charlie Casserly, or that Dan Reeves told the owner that David Carr could still be a franchise QB. Please don't tell me that you are referring to the Reggie Bush thing. As if he would have done anything for them last year.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:30 PM    (permalink
artisfeces

chicago will not win NFC homefield advantage. They will make the playoffs but be significantly worse than last year.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:48 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

JCisAGod

6th is prettty nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:40 AM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Talk of the Houston Texans and the Tennessee Titans as potential playoff teams amuses me: they are going to be picking in the Top 5 for yet another year in the Draft imo. Much as I'd love to see the AFC South be a strong conference from top to bottom, to better prepare the Colts for the playoffs, I know firsthand the schedule that the teams in the conference have to play and both the Titans and the Texans are going to struggle to get victories.
Yet another year? The Titans have only picked in the top 5 once in recent years. In fact before VY, the last time was when they picked McNair.

And they also had one of the league's toughest schedules last season, and picked 19th.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:38 AM    (permalink
ncstateviking
Rookie

ncstateviking hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

people saying the begals and steelers belong above the jets make me laugh. last year you werent better than the jets when they were in a defensive transition year, had no RB, and had their Qb coming into his first season after 2 shoulder surgeries. with a healthy chad pennington, the second year in the 34, 2 huge defensive additions, and thomas jones at RB you really think you deserve to move past a team that was better than you in the first place?
ncstateviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:53 AM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstateviking View Post
people saying the begals and steelers belong above the jets make me laugh. last year you werent better than the jets when they were in a defensive transition year, had no RB, and had their Qb coming into his first season after 2 shoulder surgeries. with a healthy chad pennington, the second year in the 34, 2 huge defensive additions, and thomas jones at RB you really think you deserve to move past a team that was better than you in the first place?
Way to only look into the Jets problems and avoid the Steelers/Bengals.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote