Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:58 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Assistants Who Should Be Head Coaches

The place is moving real slow, and Im finally getting some more free time to post more often, so I figured Id start up something to get our minds off the other "story" surrounding the NFL these days. Who do you think is an assistant in the NFL right now that is worthy of getting a HC job? Here is my list

Rob Ryan: Oakland Raiders Defensive Coordinator

To me, what he's done is more impressive than his brother Rex. They run similar schemes, and I love both of them, but Rob got near equal production out of a group that was on the field alot more than the Ravens defense, had major negativity surrounding the clubhouse, and out of players with less talent than the Ravens. Don't get me wrong, he has talent, and lots of it, but its still impressive what he did with this unit.

And he has an impressive resume. He was a linebackers coach in NE under Bellichick, and he's son of Buddy Ryan (so is Rex of course). He has experience in the 4-3 and 3-4, and he seems like he can garner respect from his players since he was able to make the Raiders focus under such adverse conditions and actually had the whole team pulling for him to be the new HC in the offseason.

He's my personal first choice as a Tom Coughlin replacement for the Giants if we decide to get an upcoming assistant coach as our new HC. (yes, im already thinking of Coughlin replacements).

Norm Chow: Tennesee Titans Offensive Coordinator

Im surprised that a man like Chow doesn't even get mentioned as a possible HC. His resume is very impressive. He's helped mold Matt Leinart, Vince Young, and Phillip Rivers. He's not pass happy, and his offenses generally have a good balance to it. He knows how to develop young quarterbacks and adjust to his players strengths. His resume basically speaks for itself. He would also be the first Asian American HC if he ever becomes one, which I think would be pretty cool. I don't care if he's purple, the man is a brilliant mind and deserves a shot at HC. Hopefully his chance comes soon. If youre a team with a young developing quarterback, this is the guy to get. He'll develop him properly.

Ron Rivera: San Diego's Linebackers Coach

I personally blame Ron Rivera for the Bear's losing the superbowl. I really do. I felt that the weather was a gift from the football gods and he didnt take advantage of it. When it was pouring the way it was, why wasn't he aggressive? Why didn't he blitz Peyton? Instead he essentially had his guys play prevent the whole game, and made Peyton's life easy by allowing him to check down all game. The deepball wasn't there, the weather wouldn't allow it. There was no need to put so much emphasis on defending it. To me, the Bears couldve won that Superbowl if Rivera didn't call a horrible game.

However, (even though i just ripped him), this is the man to get if you want to run a Tampa 2 defense. He's a military man, he garners respect from his guys, good motivator, and he's one of the better Cover 2 minds out there. If youre going Cover 2, Ron Rivera is your man.

Possible other guys that I need to pay more attention to: Mike Zimmer (anyone under Parcells tree seems golden almost), Mike Singletary (gotta see him take a more proactive role in Xs and Os first)

Im sure there are a couple of names I left out. I want to hear who you think is worthy and why. Let's talk about something else for a change.

Last edited by bigbluedefense : 07-19-2007 at 07:01 PM.
bigbluedefense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:17 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Add Rex Ryan to that list
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:23 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BBD, you forgot our favorite coach, the now DB coach of Carolina, Tim Lewis!! haha kidding. i think ppossibly Johnson, the iigles DC, he just has a crazy good defensive mind, i think he'd make apretty good HC, but prob just too good of a DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:27 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

remix 6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Pepper Johnson

Patriots DL coach..coached LBs aswell
remix 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:29 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
BBD, you forgot our favorite coach, the now DB coach of Carolina, Tim Lewis!! haha kidding. i think ppossibly Johnson, the iigles DC, he just has a crazy good defensive mind, i think he'd make apretty good HC, but prob just too good of a DC
I don't think he wants to be a HC. If he did, he wouldve taken a job by now. And we got Spags anyway, which is pretty much the same thing, just younger.

I like the idea of Rob as HC, and keep Spags at DC, since they have similar idealogies on defense. Or bring Pepper Johnson in as DC, since he also worked under Bellichick and was a protege of Ryans. Then we can bring in an offensive mind who will preach ball control and smashmouth offense, which will make Eli's life a lot easier.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:31 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by remix 6 View Post
Pepper Johnson

Patriots DL coach..coached LBs aswell
I want him as a DC, im not ready to consider him as a HC yet. I like the idea of having him as a DC though. Former Giant, played for Parcells, coached under Bellichick, has coached the Patriot Dline and LB core, and has done a stellar job with both. I like him alot as a DC.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:50 PM    (permalink
MasterShake
Rookie

MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.

Unfortunately for me and my Niners....

Mike Singletary, Assistant HC/LB coach

He doesn't have a huge amount of coaching experieance, but he just oozes leadership. I remember a clip from when he and Nolan were in Baltimore and Nolan asked Singletary to chew out Ray Lewis because Singletary is a guy even Lewis would bow down to.

I hope we can hold on to him for another year or two...
MasterShake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:03 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Russ Grimm has the ability to be a head coach in this league. I like the Pittsburgh toughness that him and Whisenhut are bringing to Arizona and with a successful year there I think Grimm could be the big man on an NFL team in '08.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:06 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Both of the Falcons coordinators have legit shots. Zimmer due to the Parcell's link and relative success; Hue Jackson because of his work in Cincinattii and if he works a miracle with our WRs he can do it anywhere.
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:08 PM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Russ Grimm would be great i want him to be the redskins next coach so bad that would be so cool

also greg williams and Al Saunders are pretty good "Assistants"
21ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:10 PM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21ST View Post
Russ Grimm would be great i want him to be the redskins next coach so bad that would be so cool

also greg williams and Al Saunders are pretty good "Assistants"
Yeah, but both, or at least Williams sucked as a HC. Saunders is just an offensive genius, lets just leave him at that.

Hopefully we can get Grimm to come back home when Gibbs retires. Personally, I'd flip out.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:11 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Monte Kiffin
Jim Johnson
Alex Gibbs
Tom Moore
Old 07-19-2007, 08:12 PM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinzzfan25 View Post
Yeah, but both, or at least Williams sucked as a HC. Saunders is just an offensive genius, lets just leave him at that.

Hopefully we can get Grimm to come back home when Gibbs retires. Personally, I'd flip out.
I would too, or if we could some how have both of them here at the same time.
21ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:12 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike Trgovac gets no love for having a top ranked defense in 03, 05 and 06.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:16 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we're doing "should be" head coaches, then Tom Moore and Monte Kiffin head the list, but neither wants a head coaching spot.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:19 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
If we're doing "should be" head coaches, then Tom Moore and Monte Kiffin head the list, but neither wants a head coaching spot.
Well the thread is called Assistants Who Should Be Head Coaches.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:22 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Cardinal's DC has been mentioned.
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:23 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

There are a lot of guys you named who great coordinators, but they dont have real ambition to be HCs, they are more Xs and Os guys and while they are great at what they do, they probably wont become HCs ever, Im talking about guys like Monte Kiffin, Jim Johnson, Greg Williams....I think the best HC prospect there is Singletary, just like guys were talking about, he has incredible leadership skills and should be able to inspire his players and get the most out of them. He would need some good Xs and Os coordinators though because he is not a master strategist like Bellichick or anything.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:36 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Something else to discuss would be which college coaches could make the jump to the pros, Pete Carroll could do it but he wont

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:15 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChampIsHere View Post
Add Rex Ryan to that list
Agreed.

Bob Bratkowski (Bengals OC) has recieved attention for a HC job and I think he'll get more this year when our offense is back on track and the team is hopefully more successful but I don't think he's worthy. Our old WR coach (Hue Jackson, now OC of the Falcons) is more worthy of an eventual HC job than he is.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:29 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I agree, but I think both are better served as assistants. If you want to run a Cover 2, Monte's your man, not Rivera. Make him your DC and put a young motivator at HC (Tomlin would be perfect IMO).

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike Singletary, 100%
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:32 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jim Bates(10/)
Old 07-19-2007, 10:26 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

John Mitchell
Keith Butler

These are Pittsburghs DL and LB coach respectively. They have been doing nothing short of amazing in pittsburgh. Mitchell is now an Assistant Coach and frankly with the Dominant DL/LB core we've had in just the past 10-15 years is any indication of their coaching talent, I think they'd be great guys.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:40 PM    (permalink
Hawk
Pro Bowler

Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike Sherman

Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote