Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-23-2006, 03:28 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg819
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller
I'm against the NFL Network because I can't afford the additional channels to get it.

I saw a commercial to call your congressman about it earlier.
Congress has no business being involved in it.

And I think the presentation of the games is really good. Just get some decent announcers in there, and it's a far better product than what CBS/Fox/ESPN put out.

Congress is getting involved to thwart the monopolistic tendencies that the NFL Network is giving the NFL. If NFL Network was a regular cable channel this is not an issue, but the NFL has is as a premium channel. Not to mention that the NFL airing its games takes away games from channels with TV contracts thus another conflict. I, myself, have NFL Network with my digital cable but I would be in rage if I could get coverage of these moronic Thursday and Saturday night games. The NFL is pushing the envelope too far on the supply and demand concept and need to work out some sort of fair deal with all these various cable companies. And fire Gumbel and Collinsworth, Marshal and Deion were far superior and those other 2 buffoons make it hard to watch the game in peace.
The NFL is a business, and it’s a business that’s been giving away its product for a lot of years, and that wasn’t by choice, it was by an act of Congress. How many other American businesses have been forced to give away their product?

How exactly are they giving away there product? They have television contracts and get paid quite handsomely by them. The NFL is not losing money on television rights, they wanted their own network to drive up the prices of the current tv contracts and aren't fooling anyone.
Because there was absolutely no reason for the government to interfere, other than a lot of congressmen wanted to see their favorite teams’ home games on TV. Look at it this way: The government has seen no reason to interfere as gas prices skyrocket and oil companies bathe in profits, so how can we justify forcing the NFL to televise its games?

Here's the best excerpt I've been able to find on it so far:

One of the things I’ve come to understand is how little fans know about the genesis of the TV blackout rule. When I explain it to them, they get a look on their face as though I’m talking a foreign language. The first thing they always ask me is, “What do you mean all home games were blacked out?” That’s how spoiled we’ve become. There are several events in pro football history worthy of research. For those fans who really want to know the history of the game, I recommend “The League,” by David Harris. If there’s one event in NFL history, however, for which I would like fans to develop a fuller understanding and appreciation, it’s the impact of the playoff weekend of Dec. 23-24, 1972. That’s the weekend professional football became the number one sport in the land. The one o’clock playoff game on Dec. 23 was the “Immaculate Reception” and the four o’clock game was Dallas’ fourth-quarter rally behind Roger Staubach to beat San Francisco. That evening, America was pro football crazy. Anywhere you went, it’s all people wanted to talk about. In those days, TV was a desert of entertainment on Christmas weekend. You’d get the Andy Williams holiday show, followed by the Perry Como Christmas show, followed by Lawrence Welk’s Christmas for Senior Citizens show, etc. The pro football playoff games that weekend were a treat the country devoured. Those games were also blacked out in their hometowns because all home games were blacked out back then. We’re talking about a broadcast rule that was sacrosanct to NFL owners. On Dec. 24, Washington hosted a playoff game, which was blacked out, of course, and that sent Congressmen who were angry that they didn’t get to see the Redskins game on TV on a crusade to end TV blackouts of home games that were sold out. The following summer, just before the regular season began, the 1973 Act of Congress was passed, ordering any game that is sold out 72 hours in advance of kickoff be televised to the home market. NFL owners were outraged. They complained bitterly that they were being forced to give away their product. Harris covers the significance of the ’73 Act of Congress thoroughly. That act expired a few years later but the NFL continues to abide by the 72-hour rule. I would like for fans to understand all of this because I’d like them to have an appreciation for the luxury free TV football is. And I would like everyone to understand what the weekend of Dec. 23-24, 1972, meant to the game we love today. That weekend, in my opinion, was the pivot point of the modern era of professional football. More specifically, Dec. 23, 1972 is the day pro football became our national obsession.

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=5207

This has nothing to do with the NFL being a monopoly. If Congress really cared about that, they never would have let the AFL and NFL merge. They would have intervened to make sure the USFL didn't completely die out. They would have done something to break the NFL up. Sometimes monopolies are necessary, because without them, the quality of the product would go way down.

What this is about is fans getting pissy because they can't watch their favorite team for free.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:44 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller
I'm against the NFL Network because I can't afford the additional channels to get it.

I saw a commercial to call your congressman about it earlier.
Congress has no business being involved in it.

And I think the presentation of the games is really good. Just get some decent announcers in there, and it's a far better product than what CBS/Fox/ESPN put out.

Congress is getting involved to thwart the monopolistic tendencies that the NFL Network is giving the NFL. If NFL Network was a regular cable channel this is not an issue, but the NFL has is as a premium channel. Not to mention that the NFL airing its games takes away games from channels with TV contracts thus another conflict. I, myself, have NFL Network with my digital cable but I would be in rage if I could get coverage of these moronic Thursday and Saturday night games. The NFL is pushing the envelope too far on the supply and demand concept and need to work out some sort of fair deal with all these various cable companies. And fire Gumbel and Collinsworth, Marshal and Deion were far superior and those other 2 buffoons make it hard to watch the game in peace.
The NFL is a business, and it’s a business that’s been giving away its product for a lot of years, and that wasn’t by choice, it was by an act of Congress. How many other American businesses have been forced to give away their product?

How exactly are they giving away there product? They have television contracts and get paid quite handsomely by them. The NFL is not losing money on television rights, they wanted their own network to drive up the prices of the current tv contracts and aren't fooling anyone.
Because there was absolutely no reason for the government to interfere, other than a lot of congressmen wanted to see their favorite teams’ home games on TV. Look at it this way: The government has seen no reason to interfere as gas prices skyrocket and oil companies bathe in profits, so how can we justify forcing the NFL to televise its games?

Here's the best excerpt I've been able to find on it so far:

One of the things I’ve come to understand is how little fans know about the genesis of the TV blackout rule. When I explain it to them, they get a look on their face as though I’m talking a foreign language. The first thing they always ask me is, “What do you mean all home games were blacked out?” That’s how spoiled we’ve become. There are several events in pro football history worthy of research. For those fans who really want to know the history of the game, I recommend “The League,” by David Harris. If there’s one event in NFL history, however, for which I would like fans to develop a fuller understanding and appreciation, it’s the impact of the playoff weekend of Dec. 23-24, 1972. That’s the weekend professional football became the number one sport in the land. The one o’clock playoff game on Dec. 23 was the “Immaculate Reception” and the four o’clock game was Dallas’ fourth-quarter rally behind Roger Staubach to beat San Francisco. That evening, America was pro football crazy. Anywhere you went, it’s all people wanted to talk about. In those days, TV was a desert of entertainment on Christmas weekend. You’d get the Andy Williams holiday show, followed by the Perry Como Christmas show, followed by Lawrence Welk’s Christmas for Senior Citizens show, etc. The pro football playoff games that weekend were a treat the country devoured. Those games were also blacked out in their hometowns because all home games were blacked out back then. We’re talking about a broadcast rule that was sacrosanct to NFL owners. On Dec. 24, Washington hosted a playoff game, which was blacked out, of course, and that sent Congressmen who were angry that they didn’t get to see the Redskins game on TV on a crusade to end TV blackouts of home games that were sold out. The following summer, just before the regular season began, the 1973 Act of Congress was passed, ordering any game that is sold out 72 hours in advance of kickoff be televised to the home market. NFL owners were outraged. They complained bitterly that they were being forced to give away their product. Harris covers the significance of the ’73 Act of Congress thoroughly. That act expired a few years later but the NFL continues to abide by the 72-hour rule. I would like for fans to understand all of this because I’d like them to have an appreciation for the luxury free TV football is. And I would like everyone to understand what the weekend of Dec. 23-24, 1972, meant to the game we love today. That weekend, in my opinion, was the pivot point of the modern era of professional football. More specifically, Dec. 23, 1972 is the day pro football became our national obsession.

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=5207

This has nothing to do with the NFL being a monopoly. If Congress really cared about that, they never would have let the AFL and NFL merge. They would have intervened to make sure the USFL didn't completely die out. They would have done something to break the NFL up. Sometimes monopolies are necessary, because without them, the quality of the product would go way done.

What this is about is fans getting pissy because they can't watch their favorite team for free.
For Free? You still have to pay for Cable and the NFL gets royalties and advertising monies.
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:03 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CBS and Fox are free.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote