Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 07-23-2007, 11:31 AM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default 2008 Draft: What positions are we drafting?

I was looking at the Jets depth chart and I didn't see superstars but I ddin't see glaring holes at any position... I saw a lot of depth and I was just wondering when the 2008 draft roles around what positions do you think the Jets will target?....

Based on what I see now on our roster and who is coming out I think we'll target...

-OT (There is a strong class of OT next year and they're all massive...I know we drafted Jacob Bender and he could be the future at RT but he may move inside to G and take Pete Kendall's place and add a lot of size should Adrien Clarke not work at LG...however if Bender is Clement's successor then I would say we could go OG as I have a few doubts about Adrien Clarke and Wade Smith being as effective and good as Kendall)

-DL: (The Jets signed a lot of DE's and tried to plug the 3-4 depth gaps and I loved it. But unless Michael Haynes works out really well the Jets should start looking for Shaun Ellis' replacement he's 30 and while Coleman looks good in camp if he doesn't work out we really have a problem...Also, if D-Rob doesn't adjust better to the 34 and start eating up space better we might spend two picks on the DL, NT (6'2'' 325+) & DE (6'4'' 290))

-WR (I think after this season LC has at least one more season, but he may pack it in...that's the only reason I bring this up. I think if he's not gone before this season starts McCareins will definitely be gone after next year I'd just like another playmaker besides JC. Maybe Pellot-Rosa or Stuckey can turn into our star but I think if LC and McCareins are gone after this season you have to bring in more WR to bring a spark to the offense: bc although they show a lot of promise Stuckey and Pellot-Rosa are low risk high reward guys and as of now I find the WR battles to be interesting, perhaps really beneficial and great for the team but I think this position is one of the biggest ? for the Jets)

Let me know what positions you think we;ll have to bolster and if you wanna go crazy you can look up the first group of prospects Kiper has them up on ESPN...

Don;t post stuff like... it's too early to do this I'm just trying to keep the forum goin if you think it's too early and don't have any imagination or you just hate life in general and don't like the topic then DON'T POST.

I think it's fun to look ahead and then look back and see how wrong we all were

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:29 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great idea for a thread, I'd love to see the NYJ forum get moving again. I thought all of your points were great and really well argued. We've got a solid team with no real superstars, but no large holes either.

The offensive line could definitely use upgrades at the G/RT spots (though I have heard good things about Clarke, we'll see), and what position we go after really depends on what position they're trying to groom Bender at. I say this is the biggest hole, especially because depth never hurts.

The D-line also has some big questions, I think we could use a bigger NT unless Robertson improves this year (which isn't completely out of the question) and a DE if nobody really steps up across from Ellis, (although I think Haynes or Coleman will). Probably the next biggest hole, also because, like the OL, depth never hurts.

I also wouldn't rule out using a pick on a rush OLB depending on how we do rushing the passer, and if we can actually generate a pass rush with our personnel or if we have to use blitz packages. How big of a need this is largely depends on our performance next year, a wild card if you will.

The WR spot also could possibly use an upgrade. Us using a pick on that spot probably largely depends on the development of guys like Brad Smith and Pellot-Rosa, both of whom have the physical abilities to be outside, number one type guys. Stuckey I believe will be more of a slot WR, although a very talented one at that. If Cotchery somehow develops into a #1 (which I don't see happening, he's a #2 through and through IMO) I could see Stuckey being a #2 and this isn't a need. Otherwise Smith or Pellot-Rosa could develop into that lead guy. But if not, we have a need for a #1 WR in the future as Coles has said he won't be around much longer. If addressed through the draft, though, it makes it difficult to pick a guy because you don't only need a WR but the kind of guy with the ability to be a #1.

Finally, the only other thing you didn't mention is the TE spot, where if Baker doesn't play well this year we have nobody else. Not that I really expect it to happen, but who knows, it's more likely than other positions. Same with our safety play next to Kerry Rhodes.

Obviously there's also a chance that something random happens like Thomas Jones busting or Pennington ending his career with another shoulder injury, but barring that kind of stuff happening I think these are what we're going to be looking at as needs.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:23 PM    (permalink
HerthaFootballFan
Rookie

Location: from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin, Germany but now living in Buffalo
HerthaFootballFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I agree that a guy to go after the QB would be a good fight for this team and also maybe someone who plays defensive back? I know Revis was a top pick this year but All I have read of Dyson he seems to small to be a top caliber starter.
HerthaFootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:53 PM    (permalink
ncstateviking
Rookie

ncstateviking hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

hmm...good thread.

i would like to see us go after a pass rush OLB with our first pick if there is a premier one available. if there isnt i would like us to select another corner. if you can get two really good or great corners on the same defense we will never be too far from the lead which is good in the offense we have.

in rnds 2-3 i would like to look offensive line. possibly using both rnds on an Olineman.

in rnd 4 i wouldnt mind seeing whatever DLineman with the physical tools falls. whether we need to coach him up or whatever is fine. i want someone with raw ability.
ncstateviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:30 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IMO Dyson is fine starting, he's not very big but was by far the best corner on the team last year. Right now he's the team's number one corner, and even if Revis overtakes him for that he's a solid #2, I'm very comfortable having him starting and really don't see any reason to go corner again this year, especially because we play so much zone. If we take a corner I'd want a guy in the second or third round, if we're taking a guy in the first he'd better be a damn good #2 or a #1, and I really would rather not go in that direction that early. Plus we don't need a #1 as Revis is our future #1. I'd look for a #2 guy later day one. And that's if we do at all, IMO Dyson is fine.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:45 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its basically as u guys have said. We need someone to step up or start looking for a new #1 WR. now u could put it off for another season also, but if someone is a steal u gotta take them. Who are the big time WR coming out next season?

We could use a OLB, as i am not sold on Hobson. He's serviceable, but a pass rusher is always something valuable to have, especially in a 3-4.

DL that better fit the scheme. We have some, and its getting better depth wise, but if Robertson doesn't get it done (although i like him and think he was put in a bad position and is making the best of it by doing a solid job), we need to realize this isn't the defensive scheme for him and let him go somewhere else and get someone new.

i have faith in the oline, but a mean run blocker would be nice.
i also believe that Miller can turn it around at CB, but i might just be blinded by his ability and not realizing whats in his head.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:11 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Even assuming Miller won't turn it around at CB, I don't see what the major problem with the position is. Dyson is certainly starting material, and Revis was selected to develop into our #1 corner. In that case, Dyson would be the #2 corner, where he is perfectly fine. He did a good job as our #1 all of last year, we only had problems at the other starting spot. And we have plenty of guys that can play nickel and dime. Corner won't be addressed unless we want to upgrade the nickel slot in the third or fourth round IMO.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:50 PM    (permalink
ncstateviking
Rookie

if i dont like what i see from clemens this year...which it sounds like is a strong possibilty...

i wouldnt mind taking whichever of the top QBs make the first rnd fall.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:05 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quite possible, but it's not even definite that we see him at all this year. It's more of a wait and see scenario. Hopefully Pennington stays healthy all year and we don't really have to worry about it.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:05 PM    (permalink
ncstateviking
Rookie

i meant more as far as in camp and pre season. if someone doesnt look competent in preseason i dont hold alot of hope for reg. season. i hope penny is our starter another 3 years.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:14 AM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

u'd be that quick to jump the ship on clemens? Pennington should be the expected starter for a little while now and since its not a major area of concern yet i'm not sure we have to use another 2nd rounder on the position unless there is someone we can't pass up

Quote:
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:06 AM    (permalink
ncstateviking
Rookie

i have not been as high on clemens as everyone else has been since we took him. even before last year when people were wanting him to take over as a starter before the season started...i was always backing penny. with the good job we are doing building a team...i feel like clemens will hold us back if he has to be the man. and i dont think he will progress past that. if he can come out and light things us in the preseason, i will maybe feel otherwise. but if he struggles it will be simply confirming what i already believe.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:44 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Who knows, maybe he isn't the guy? But if he doesn't light it up in preseason this year I doubt it will make management think he isn't the guy. Pennington hopefully will be around for a few more years, and if so we'll have plenty of time to see if Clemens develops. For now, Pennington is the guy and Clemens is the QB of the future and I don't think the team is going to write Clemens off after 2 seasons considering Pennington will be playing a few more years.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:24 PM    (permalink
'cuse-213
Pro Bowler

'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tight End. Weve been itching to take one for a few years now and I think Baker will have another average season.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:31 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Next years draft class is loaded with talent at the skill positions, and although none of those are really needs, i think they could all use upgrade. Mainly WR

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:21 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I know specifics are kind of hard right now but lets say we end up in the bottom half of the draft again is there a chance that bsed on his production that Limas Sweed will be there after 20 or as of now is he a top 15? I love his size its something that would compliment Pennington well, but it seems like a dream I think he went back to be the number 1 reciever in the country. Who else do you guys like?

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:39 PM    (permalink
'cuse-213
Pro Bowler

'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.'cuse-213 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I personaly have a man crush on Jonathen Stewart. Ever since he came out of highschool. Thomas jones is getting kinda old, leon might never be a fulltime starter, and theres not much depth behind that.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:48 PM    (permalink
ncstateviking
Rookie

to me, guys we may think are top 5 prospects right now are going to be 3rd rounders by the draft. i wont even begin to guess at individual players.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:46 AM    (permalink
IBleedGreen18

I think stuff like this is largely dependent on where we end up drafting and stuff like that, but at the same time I think you guys have hit on the main weaknesses on this team which will be probable positions that will be drafted.

Between the Oline and Dline I think is by far the weakest parts of our team. I would be shocked if the the majority of our early round picks don't weight more than 300lbs. DE, NT (maybe), RT, OG are all major areas of concern.

DE- Assuming Coleman wins the starting RDE spot (more than likely) then we will be starting 2 players who were prototypical 3-4 DEs 5-10 years ago. This meant being 6'3-6'5 285-295 lbs. Unfortunately todays prototypical 3-4 DE is much larger, 6'5-6'6 295-320 lbs, in order to effectively play against the larger Offensive linemen. I would say this is our biggest weakness, due to not commanding double teams at all, and not actively getting penetration. Though Coleman will be a big upgrade over Kimo so that will help. Looking at the model the pats have made, which we will likely follow, DE is a strong priority in the drafts (Seymour and Warren High first round picks). Dline is the most imortant part of a 3-4

NT- Robertson played well down the stretch this season, and if he has a strong season we could count this as a non-need. Though he is Very undersized for a 3-4 NT ( would prolly need another10-20 lbs to be a great size) Mangini has said he believes Robertson can reinvent the position, which could be the case. Having a smaller sized NT would make him less powerful against say the run but he would likely be able to get penetration better and could cause havok in pass rush situations. We'll see, but this could be a decently high priority(2-4 round pick), but it could also be a non-factor.

Oline- We need a RT and 2 OGs of better quality to be honest. I say that tentatively though since we will be returning all 5 starters from last season except perhaps Kendal(looking more likely that we will be missing him), but even so if we give moore and clement another year in the system they could suprise, so we'll see. I see whoever on the line has the weakest season could be looking for someother place to play and we could go after someone either in draft or FA. I cannot see us taking another first round Olineman with so many other areas that we need to improve, unless of course there is TREMENDOUS value where we are picking. I'd say more than likely a mid round pick will be used and/or a decent FA signing.

WR- Would be nice, but far from a necessity. J-Cotch is turning into a stud opposite Coles and will likely be able to take up the #1 spot when he hangs 'em up. We could go after an OK FA or use a midround pick for value on one, but I can't see us using a top pick on a skill position with so much of a need for meat on this team.

TE- If we are going after a skill position I think this is it. Baker is good, but not great. If value is there this could be a possibility next year, though I wouldn't bet on it.

Overall I would say that our biggest needs and the most important positions for our overall game would be the lines. I would in fact be in shock if our first and probably second round pick next year didn't weigh 300+ pounds. We need to adapt to todays NFL, and our lineman really are undersized. I can see Mangini wanting to use an undersized NT to get pressure, but I think that would be infinitely easier with big powerful ends. Not to say we are or should be like the pats, but mangini did work overthere so it would be safe to say they could share some ideals. In Bellichecks years there all 3 Dlineman were high first round picks. This shows the importance of the position and how much easier it makes it for the LB corp. OLBs need to get pressure, but if the Oline is concerned with protecting from the dline, then blitzing OLBs will def wreck more havok.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:09 AM    (permalink
ncstateviking
Rookie

cotchery isnt a number one though. people mistake great number 2s for #1s all the time. he would struggle in the #1 role.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:13 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pellot-Rosa got cut....
Old 08-12-2007, 11:41 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstateviking View Post
cotchery isnt a number one though. people mistake great number 2s for #1s all the time. he would struggle in the #1 role.
i would agree with that statement. he might develop ala Reggie Wayne, but i don't think so. he's a very good #2, but i don't see him as a #1 anytime soon if ever

Quote:
Old 08-13-2007, 12:07 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

anyway hear any news on thomas jones' injury?? apparantly its an ankle or calf. From what i have heard it didn't sound too serious, in that he walked off on his own power and was able to put weight on it as well as move it around. He was also not carted immediately to the locker room,which is always promising.
In other news, i heard that the jets and revis began talking again; they said they saw one of his agents, other than the one usually mentioned, exiting the jets facility. They were also reportedly meant to have a meeting yesterday. So hopefully, things will be heating up and we can get this guy into training camp quickly.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:54 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
anyway hear any news on thomas jones' injury?? apparantly its an ankle or calf. From what i have heard it didn't sound too serious, in that he walked off on his own power and was able to put weight on it as well as move it around. He was also not carted immediately to the locker room,which is always promising.
In other news, i heard that the jets and revis began talking again; they said they saw one of his agents, other than the one usually mentioned, exiting the jets facility. They were also reportedly meant to have a meeting yesterday. So hopefully, things will be heating up and we can get this guy into training camp quickly.
I wouldn't be to worried about Jones' injury. especially this early in TC.

The Revis talks couldn't make me any happier. hopefully they go a little smoother this time around.

Quote:
Old 08-25-2007, 04:32 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

it's too early to do, naw, I'm just kidding. But what I would like to see the Jets draft is

A. A big 3-4 run stuffing NT who is more than a workout warrior with a funny name.
B. At least one guard, possibly two.
C. A right tackle (if Bender doesn't look like he is starting material).

And now that I've said that, I'm sure they won't draft any of those day one next year.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote