Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 07-27-2007, 12:26 AM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Rutgers has much better recruiting bases than those teams. It's had much more success lately. History is irrelevant here.
Alright, you want to talk about recent success? Over the past 5 years Rutgers has a record of 28-31. That's while playing in the Big East, how are they supposed to succeed in the Big Ten?
Old 07-27-2007, 12:54 AM    (permalink
jbeans187
Veteran

jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Everyones thought??? Talks about the Big 10 network, and how Iowa's coach isnt a fan of the conference championship game
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2950700

Leroy Smith - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koGD6XnAsNs
jbeans187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:19 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeans187 View Post
Everyones thought??? Talks about the Big 10 network, and how Iowa's coach isnt a fan of the conference championship game
Well since he's God reincarnated (according to all Iowa fans and ESPN) I suppose the Big 10 shouldn't do it then ;)
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:20 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
Alright, you want to talk about recent success? Over the past 5 years Rutgers has a record of 28-31. That's while playing in the Big East, how are they supposed to succeed in the Big Ten?
Once again, this is a classic example of people going by last year's results and not looking at the big picture. Rutgers would die in the Big 10.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:22 AM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
Once again, this is a classic example of people going by last year's results and not looking at the big picture. Rutgers would die in the Big 10.
Seriously, Im rooting for Rutgers, but who did they sign tht was big recently?

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:56 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
Seriously, Im rooting for Rutgers, but who did they sign tht was big recently?
It will take a while but they are trying to keep the local kids. Anthony Davis turned down Ohio St to stay in NJ and go to Rutgers. That was a big step. In the past guys like Dwayne Jarrett and Malcolm Jenkins turned down staying home to go play for a bigger program. And someone mentioned earlier about Rutgers pulling Florida kids. That is absolutely right. Rutgers has been winning the last two years with kids that Miami turned down. Schiano just took these kids and coached them better than Coker's crew did at Miami. The only problem I can see with continuing to bring in the big NJ guys is Notre Dame. Coach Weis is going to continue to try and grab all the big NJ guys he can who have the academics to go to ND. Which is why ND signed a 5 year contract to play Rutgers starting in 2008. When in NJ all those games will be played in Giants Stadium and Weis hopes to destroy them and win over the recruiting in NJ.

Last edited by Jughead10 : 07-27-2007 at 07:58 AM.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:46 AM    (permalink
Scar
Rookie

Scar hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93 View Post
I think the Big Ten would stand pat rather than take another team from a non-power conference and watch them end up like Northwestern, maybe have one good year, but be bottom of the barrel.
I resent that! We've had TWO good years, thank you very much. :)
Scar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:30 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

VY10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Rutgers has much better recruiting bases than those teams. It's had much more success lately. History is irrelevant here.

Actually, yes, the Florida kids do want to go to Rutgers if they can't get an offer from the Big 3. Look at the recruits Rutgers has pulled in. They can beat anyone besides the Big 3 for a Florida kid. And Rutgers has pulled in the occasional player out of California. Ito had offers from Missouri, Texas A&M, Minnesota, and South Carolina. That's coming off a losing season. Things are going to explode now.

Rutgers draws by far the highest college football ratings of any team in NYC, a market ESPN/ABC desperately want to open up. The team was a major draw on ESPN last year and should be again.

Ask Army how having great football tradition is treating them. Fact is, until the eighties, Rutgers was a I-AA school in football. It regularly turned down bowl bids, and there weren't that many bowls to go around until recently. It wasn't terrible, just mediocre. It was only terrible for a few years under Terry Shea, before Schiano could rebuild the team.

Rutgers isn't going away. It just had its best recruiting year ever, pulling in Anthony Davis and Manny Abreu. They're going to fall to the bottom of the Big East? That's funny, who are they going to lose to, Syracuse? The sleeping giant has finally woken up.

No ones said they'd dominate the Big Ten, but their ball-control oriented philosophy with a top OL, Ray Rice, and an attacking defense fits the conference's stereotype to a tee.
Wow. No, Florida kids do not want to go to Rutgers. You obviously don't have a subscription to rivals. Rutgers is WAY down the list when it comes to Florida recruiting. The highest rated recruit Rutgers had coming out of Florida was rated #83 in the state. Other teams such as, Florida, Florida State, Miami, West Virginia, Auburn, Alabama, South Carolina, LSU, Notre Dame, (I saw a Wisconsin pick up there too.), Tennessee, Georgia Tech, and your buddies in South Florida have way more pull in Florida. Rutgers gets the trash that no one else wants from that state. All being 2* and 3*. Alabama and Auburn have a lot of pull in Florida and can sometimes beat out In-state schools. Sure a player might go to Rutgers if no one else offers. In conclusion, there are way more teams higher in the recruit chain than Rutgers in Florida, besides the big 3.

If people in NYC like watching football teams lose I can't argue with that... because that is all Rutgers would do in the Big 10.

1 success story of getting a recruit that was offered by such powerhouses as A&M and Missou, and South Carolina doesn't count for much on the national scale.

Army is a military academy. It is at a significant disadvantage now a days.... considering you have to be in the Army for a couple of years after you graduate. Any player with pro potential is not going there. Good try though.

Rutgers recruting may have been they best they have ever had, but it is still not at the level of competing in a good conference. Looking at Rutgers schedule, they play 0 out of conference powerhouses and 0 decent teams period out of conference. Have fun beating up on the Big LEast. Yes you are right. Who is Rutgers going to lose to? Because they don't play anybody. My point is you stick Rutgers in any half decent conference and they are bottom feeders. I give Rutgers no respect until they can manage to play out of conference opponents better than Buffalo and Norfolk St., wherever the heck that is.

Ray Rice isn't immortal. He will be gone soon.
VY10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:36 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you. It is exactly this reason that I hate Rutgers now. I didn't care about them at all until I saw all these Rutgers fans popping up talking about how they have more upside than teams like Alabama when it comes to becoming a dominant program in the near future. It is 10X as bad on the Rivals boards.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:42 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeans187 View Post
Iowa can get lucky in their scheduling and have a shot at the Big 10 championship. This year they don't play Michigan OR Ohio State. If there was a championship game the Big 10 would be on the level of the SEC. Because there isn't that championship game teams can luck out with the scheduling and come away with a championship they don't deserve. With that championship game installed teams can't help but play a powerhouse to come away with the title.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:55 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

Ok, question. Why do these Rutgers fans think they have the ability to pull Florida kids.

Robinson Alexis. WR. 3* Only offer was from Rutgers. He was also the only Florida kid Rutgers got last year in the Florida top 100. (#83)

Fabian Ruiz (he's from Miami) TE. 3* Offers include the all powerful Rutgers, Akron, Florida Atlantic (hahha), Florida Int'l (ahahhaha), Western Michigan. He is from Miami....I wonder why he chose Rutgers over the rest of the cupcakes that offered him. Man you guys stole him right from the U's nose!

Jameil Farrington DE. 2* Offers Rutgers, UCF, NC State, and Pitt...

Justin Francis DE. 2* Offers Rutgers, South Florida, Iowa State, Pitt....

Jonathan Freeny DE. 2* Offers Rutgers, Florida Int'l, Western Michigan......

So how is Rutgers 4th behind the Big 3 in Florida when it comes to recruiting? These kids chose Rutgers because they got no good offers. I mean if you consider the Big 3 to be UCF, South florida, and Fla. Atlantic I guess yall are with them.....

Again. Rutgers has 0 pull in the state of Florida.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Jonny
Veteran

Jonny is a cocksman.Jonny is a cocksman.Jonny is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VY10 View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you. It is exactly this reason that I hate Rutgers now. I didn't care about them at all until I saw all these Rutgers fans popping up talking about how they have more upside than teams like Alabama when it comes to becoming a dominant program in the near future. It is 10X as bad on the Rivals boards.
You're joking, right? That's from two moronic fans that every Rutgers fan on Rivals hates. RutgersAl is already well-known for being the biggest homer on Rivals, and TSopranoRU has been banned at every Rutgers board. You're seriously going to judge a fanbase on two players?

Quote:
So how is Rutgers 4th behind the Big 3 in Florida when it comes to recruiting?
Not what I said. Let's have a look at Schiano's record in Florida since he took over. I'll only cite the players that stuck on the roster.

2002: Ryan Hart (over Maryland, Louisville, NC State, Purdue), Markis Facyson (NC State, Wake Forest, BC, Vandy, Auburn), Luis Rivas (WVU, Auburn, Arkansas, Syracuse, Ole Miss, USF), Papa Beckford (Pitt, K-State, Alabama, WVU), Shawn Tucker (Ohio State, Auburn, BC, ISU, NC State, Syracuse, USF)

2003: Marcus Daniels (Auburn, WVU, LSU, NC State, Kansas), Quintero Frierson (Auburn, Kentucky, USF, Michigan State), Willie Foster (NC State, Kansas)

2004: Dmitri Linton (Stanford), Mike Gilmartin (Clemson, South Carolina), Corey Hyman (Pitt, Auburn, USF)

2005: Gary Watts (Miss State, Pitt, USF), Vantrise Studivant (GT, Ole Miss, Kansas State, Wake Forest, Indiana), Dennis Campbell (Georgia, Ok. State, Pitt, USF)

2006: Chris Paul-Etienne (Illinois, Louisville, Minnesota, Michigan State), Kevin Holloway (WVU, Wisconsin, Tennessee, GT), Antonio Lowery (Georgia, Illinois, Michigan State, NC State, Pitt, South Carolina, BC, Minnesota, Auburn), Tim Brown (Michigan State, LSU, USF, Louisvlle)

2007: Justin Francis (Auburn, Pitt, USF, ISU, Alabama), Jameil Farrington (Auburn, Ole Miss, NC State, Minnesota, USF, Pitt)

So far this year, RU leads LSU, Auburn, Alabama, etc.. for D.C. Jefferson. It is a top school for Malcolm Johnson, Onterrio McCaleb, Joe Looney, George Baker, Janoris Jenkins, Darren Sewell, and John Lejiste.

RU's staff has really good contacts in Florida due to Schiano's tenure at Miami. I guess you're not going to count near misses, but RU was constantly in the top 5 of players like Antone Smith. And the connections help bring in sleepers like Eric Foster and Tres Moses, who didn't have offers but developed into very good players.

If Rutgers's recruiting isn't at the level of competing in a good conference, what about schools like Purdue, Michigan State, and Minnesota? All did worse according to Rivals in 2007. Scout liked the class better, and put it ahead of Wisconsin and Iowa.

Yeah, the schedule is an issue this year with only Maryland and Navy. I'm not arguing RU deserves a shot at the NC this year. But Maryland, UNC, and Notre Dame are on the future schedules, that's being taken care of.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:30 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

Quote:
You're joking, right? That's from two moronic fans that every Rutgers fan on Rivals hates. RutgersAl is already well-known for being the biggest homer on Rivals, and TSopranoRU has been banned at every Rutgers board. You're seriously going to judge a fanbase on two players?

Not what I said. Let's have a look at Schiano's record in Florida since he took over. I'll only cite the players that stuck on the roster.

2002: Ryan Hart (over Maryland, Louisville, NC State, Purdue), Markis Facyson (NC State, Wake Forest, BC, Vandy, Auburn), Luis Rivas (WVU, Auburn, Arkansas, Syracuse, Ole Miss, USF), Papa Beckford (Pitt, K-State, Alabama, WVU), Shawn Tucker (Ohio State, Auburn, BC, ISU, NC State, Syracuse, USF)

2003: Marcus Daniels (Auburn, WVU, LSU, NC State, Kansas), Quintero Frierson (Auburn, Kentucky, USF, Michigan State), Willie Foster (NC State, Kansas)

2004: Dmitri Linton (Stanford), Mike Gilmartin (Clemson, South Carolina), Corey Hyman (Pitt, Auburn, USF)

2005: Gary Watts (Miss State, Pitt, USF), Vantrise Studivant (GT, Ole Miss, Kansas State, Wake Forest, Indiana), Dennis Campbell (Georgia, Ok. State, Pitt, USF)

2006: Chris Paul-Etienne (Illinois, Louisville, Minnesota, Michigan State), Kevin Holloway (WVU, Wisconsin, Tennessee, GT), Antonio Lowery (Georgia, Illinois, Michigan State, NC State, Pitt, South Carolina, BC, Minnesota, Auburn), Tim Brown (Michigan State, LSU, USF, Louisvlle)

2007: Justin Francis (Auburn, Pitt, USF, ISU, Alabama), Jameil Farrington (Auburn, Ole Miss, NC State, Minnesota, USF, Pitt)

So far this year, RU leads LSU, Auburn, Alabama, etc.. for D.C. Jefferson. It is a top school for Malcolm Johnson, Onterrio McCaleb, Joe Looney, George Baker, Janoris Jenkins, Darren Sewell, and John Lejiste.

RU's staff has really good contacts in Florida due to Schiano's tenure at Miami. I guess you're not going to count near misses, but RU was constantly in the top 5 of players like Antone Smith. And the connections help bring in sleepers like Eric Foster and Tres Moses, who didn't have offers but developed into very good players.

If Rutgers's recruiting isn't at the level of competing in a good conference, what about schools like Purdue, Michigan State, and Minnesota? All did worse according to Rivals in 2007. Scout liked the class better, and put it ahead of Wisconsin and Iowa.

Yeah, the schedule is an issue this year with only Maryland and Navy. I'm not arguing RU deserves a shot at the NC this year. But Maryland, UNC, and Notre Dame are on the future schedules, that's being taken care of.
Your arguments have given me more respect for the Rutgers fanbase....as to only dealing with the Rutgers homers on Rivals.

I can't wait until Rutgers plays ND. That will truly make or break the program for good. I do say Rutgers does have an advantage over ND, considering Rutgers has won more bowl games in the past 10 years than ND. It is pretty sad.

Still Rutgers will never be a top recruiter in Florida. It may be a pipeline for them but they will never be a true force there though there are hundreds of D-1 players there so they, like every other team will land some. They will get a shot at the bottom guys but they will never be able to pull any of the top guys away from the Big-3, Alabama, and Auburn (and other top programs that go for they top recruits). Imagine you're trying to pitch Rutgers to guys from Florida. Geography plays a huge part in it because Jersey isn't exactly famous for its women or its beaches.

I remember you saying earlier how Wisconsin and Penn State weren't up there with Michigan and Ohio State. Both made ESPN's top 25 programs of the last decade along with Iowa. Wisconsin being T-13.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2947988

You're right near misses don't count. Alabama almost landed Tebow? Was in the running for Noel Devine?

Schiano is a good coach but Rutgers hasn't ever faced the challenge of a schedule that the Big10 can throw at you. Look at how many cupcakes are on their schedule as of now and last year.

If the Big 10 was to choose Rutgers, Rutgers would never have any sort of success again.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:45 PM    (permalink
Jonny
Veteran

It's two great teams, and a couple of very good teams.

Rutgers couldn't compete in the Big Ten? Let's look at Iowa's schedule for this year.

Sept. 1 Northern Illinois (in Chic.)
Sept. 8 Syracuse
Sept. 15 at Iowa State
Sept. 22 at Wisconsin
Sept. 29 Indiana
Oct. 6 at Penn State
Oct. 13 Illinois
Oct. 20 at Purdue
Oct. 27 Michigan State
Nov. 3 at Northwestern
Nov. 10 Minnesota
Nov. 17 Western Michigan

Rutgers would get 9/10 wins with that schedule. Obviously losing to Wisconsin and PSU, and @Purdue is a tossup.

Playing in the Big Ten, they're not going to face the elite teams every game. I think Rutgers could be a perennial top 25, 8-9 win team in any conference. I still want to make the Big East successful though.

Schiano has beaten Auburn, Alabama, etc... on occasion. It's not going to happen all of the time, but it has happened. Some people actually do want to get away, you can't make uniform statements about every player. Will Hill doesn't like cold weather, some players in Miami don't like scorching heat. Some recruits have actually commented that they saw snow in person for the first times in their lives on their visit, and that was a factor in committing.

NJ has the Jersey shore. aka, that place that people from New York and Pennsylvania flood to every weekend. Can't argue that the women compare to the South, but they can easily beat the flyover states there.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:51 PM    (permalink
Michigan
Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Pro Bowler

Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Personally, I'm for the idea of dropping Penn State and going back to 10 teams...

O, and Rutgers would be a mediocre addition. I doubt the NY/NJ market would keep their interest when Rutgers is perenially near the basement of the conference...
Old 07-28-2007, 08:23 AM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Utah and BYU should be let into the Pac-10 so that they would have a championship game too.
I think I'd rather see Fresno St. and Boise St.
But all 4 would be legit candidates.

It would be nice to have a standard conference size across the country. Or at least among the major conferences. Especially for us fans who like to compare strengths and weaknesses. Comparing a 10 team conference to a 12 team conference doesn't work that well.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:33 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's two great teams, and a couple of very good teams.

Rutgers couldn't compete in the Big Ten? Let's look at Iowa's schedule for this year.

Sept. 1 Northern Illinois (in Chic.)
Sept. 8 Syracuse
Sept. 15 at Iowa State
Sept. 22 at Wisconsin
Sept. 29 Indiana
Oct. 6 at Penn State
Oct. 13 Illinois
Oct. 20 at Purdue
Oct. 27 Michigan State
Nov. 3 at Northwestern
Nov. 10 Minnesota
Nov. 17 Western Michigan

Rutgers would get 9/10 wins with that schedule. Obviously losing to Wisconsin and PSU, and @Purdue is a tossup.

Playing in the Big Ten, they're not going to face the elite teams every game. I think Rutgers could be a perennial top 25, 8-9 win team in any conference. I still want to make the Big East successful though.
You mean the same Rutgers team that lost to Cincinnatti? Please.... You can't assume a win for the rest of them, Rutgers isn't good enough to assume that.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:54 AM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
You mean the same Rutgers team that lost to Cincinnatti? Please.... You can't assume a win for the rest of them, Rutgers isn't good enough to assume that.
Even on that easy schedule I think they'd struggle to get 5 or 6 wins.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:19 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
I think I'd rather see Fresno St. and Boise St.
But all 4 would be legit candidates.

It would be nice to have a standard conference size across the country. Or at least among the major conferences. Especially for us fans who like to compare strengths and weaknesses. Comparing a 10 team conference to a 12 team conference doesn't work that well.
I agree, and I still dont understand why all conferences dont have champ games

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:30 PM    (permalink
Jonny
Veteran

Cincy's not a bad team. That's why Michigan State wanted their coach. It was a classic letdown game though. I'll freely admit that factor contributed heavily into being able to beat Louisville.

Last season was accomplished with mostly ** recruits and even a few walk-ons. Some have graduated, and have mostly been replaced by more highly-rated players. That will keep happening. Ray Rice was only a *** player. His true freshman backup last year was a **** player, and another **** RB is being brought in. That's why Knight fans have reason to be optimistic.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:31 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Geography plays a huge part in it because Jersey isn't exactly famous for its women or its beaches.
I wouldn't go that far. Wildwood Beach, Cape May, Monmouth Shore, LBI are all very well - known throughout the country. Wildwood in particular, granted it's not South Beach or even Daytona but it's up there.

Anyway, I think Rutgers could contend but not right now.

We (being RU) have been good in the recruiting department but I think we'll stay a Top - 25 team that has an occasional Top - 15 season. I think they'll take a few recruits away from Notre Dame if they continue their successes but two good seasons isn't going to add as much prestige as schools as Miami, Florida State, PSU, USC, Florida, Alabama, UCLA, Notre Dame amongst others. It's still a work in progress.

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece
Philliez01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 02:09 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ok I am a fan of the Rutgers team (ever since the late 90s games where I would play against them because they were horrible lol) and I understand where all their fans and other people are coming from when they say they are doing better, but how can all of you come out after one good season and act like Rutgers is the second coming of christ? I mean, I understand that you guys don't think they are instantly a USC, Texas, OSU, etc. and I understand that you are hopeful, but the way you are making a case for them seems like last year erases the past 50 years of mediocrity at best...I too believe Rutgers may be on the way up, but to think that one good season will make people think "Oh, they must be a great program, who cares that they have had like 1 winning season in recent memory" is just silly

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:03 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
ok I am a fan of the Rutgers team (ever since the late 90s games where I would play against them because they were horrible lol) and I understand where all their fans and other people are coming from when they say they are doing better, but how can all of you come out after one good season and act like Rutgers is the second coming of christ? I mean, I understand that you guys don't think they are instantly a USC, Texas, OSU, etc. and I understand that you are hopeful, but the way you are making a case for them seems like last year erases the past 50 years of mediocrity at best...I too believe Rutgers may be on the way up, but to think that one good season will make people think "Oh, they must be a great program, who cares that they have had like 1 winning season in recent memory" is just silly
I pretty much just said that, only one other RU fan (Jonny) is in the discussion so I think "all their fans" is resorting towards one.

But could you blame RU fans? Going through the days of Ryan Cubit, and 3/4 of Ryan Hart's tenure; there was hardly any reason for optimism. I remember them contending (and I believe, beating?) Michigan State in '04 but that was it. There's been absolutely nothing to be excited about until the Insight Bowl game and now after winning the Texas Bowl; we, the fans, are still on Cloud 9. I don't see anyone even saying anything remotely similar to what you said.

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece
Philliez01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can we move back on topic?

Alright, here is a list I think should be considered:
Pitt
West Virginia
Rutgers
Iowa State
Boise State
Central Michigan
Missouri

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:30 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93 View Post
Can we move back on topic?

Alright, here is a list I think should be considered:
Pitt
West Virginia
Rutgers
Iowa State
Boise State
Central Michigan
Missouri
What about geographic considerations? Not sure about WVU or BSU.