Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:36 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano View Post
Ware isn't a great hitter, neither. He's a great tackler, and he never misses a tackle but he doens't deliver big hits so often.. Honestly I've seen all games Ware has played in the NFL and I don't remember a single one big hit by him...
I would think Peppers is the same way. He doesn't blow running backs up, he hits QBs pretty hard but he tackles them and try strip the ball.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:02 AM    (permalink
dcarey20
Pro Bowler

dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.

I love Adalius but I think he's a bit high...He hits hard but I will say that Bart Scott hits like a truck, and harder than Thomas. Ray Lewis is also a bit low in my opinion.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:06 AM    (permalink
Beans
DC GFX Team
All-Pro

Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

no john lynch!! bah!

bonekrusher on the sig magic
Quote:
<beans> libid dont worry man i think fondling big black men is a perfectly worthy career goal
<JBond> laughing so hard I am crying
Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:28 AM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sean Taylor left a yellow stain on Brian Moorman's pro bowl jersey from his facemask. Fun facts from Sports Illustrated the Magazine.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:47 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12 View Post
Sean Taylor left a yellow stain on Brian Moorman's pro bowl jersey from his facemask. Fun facts from Sports Illustrated the Magazine.
Halfway through the post I thought you were making a joke saying Moorman peed himself. I'm glad to see that route was not taken.

Last edited by SuperMcGee : 07-27-2007 at 12:51 AM.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:48 AM    (permalink
nfrillman
Veteran

nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.

The "big hit" is always what makes the highlights, but I am not really a big fan of the "big hit" for one reason, 95% of the time it is delivered by using incorrect tackling. The "big hit" is almost always some guy launching is shoulders/arms/head at the opponents upper body, which is exactly what you are not supposed to do. The only position that should really lend itself to "big hits" are the safety positions if a WR is coming across the middle. Almost any other big hit is just a guy using a non-form tackle and having it luckily not backfire. For every "big hit" you see, you probably see 3 or 4 attempted big hits in which the ballcarrier just bounces off the guy and someone else has to tackle them.

On a semi-related note, does anyone else absolutely hate the way SI does their listing and power rankings, making you click through page after page. I don't really need a picture of each player, I am familiar with who they are.

I am done arguing, until somebody says something stupid.
nfrillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 03:13 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man_Of_Steel View Post
Bob Sanders is a good hitter but number 5 is way too high, he shouldnt be in the top 20. He is a very solid tackler but he is not the 5th hardest hitter in the league.
Have you ever seen Bob play? What you said is exactly opposite of how Bob plays. If anything, he's a human missile with decent tackling form.

As for the list, this is yet another thing at which Sean Taylor is overrated.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 03:38 AM    (permalink
critesy
All-Pro

critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Have you ever seen Bob play? What you said is exactly opposite of how Bob plays. If anything, he's a human missile with decent tackling form.

As for the list, this is yet another thing at which Sean Taylor is overrated.

overrated ??

if anything his coverage skills are overrated but to say his hitting skills...

RIP, Sean Taylor.
critesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 03:42 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by critesy View Post
overrated ??

if anything his coverage skills are overrated but to say his hitting skills...
#1 in the NFL? He's not even the hardest hitting safety. Yes, he had the hit in the Pro Bowl, but that's one hit. Hell, go back a week, and Bob Sanders hit Ced Benson hard enough to force a fumble and take him out on the 2 touches of the Super Bowl that he had. I'm not saying Bob is the hardest hitting safety either (my vote goes to Dawkins), but if you want to judge by a small sample size like that, there are plenty of players with one or two great hits.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
Old 07-27-2007, 03:51 AM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KA3OzdmyVOk

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 03:57 AM    (permalink
critesy
All-Pro

critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
#1 in the NFL? He's not even the hardest hitting safety. Yes, he had the hit in the Pro Bowl, but that's one hit. Hell, go back a week, and Bob Sanders hit Ced Benson hard enough to force a fumble and take him out on the 2 touches of the Super Bowl that he had. I'm not saying Bob is the hardest hitting safety either (my vote goes to Dawkins), but if you want to judge by a small sample size like that, there are plenty of players with one or two great hits.

one or two great hits?!?!?

he's had like 10+ in all of years in the league.

roll the film

rookie season - http://youtube.com/watch?v=gj0rEv6Gfk8
second year - http://youtube.com/watch?v=KA3OzdmyVOk (1:35 he kills lorenzo neal)
third year - http://redskins.torresa.com/videos/RedskinsDream.html (not a ST video but has lots of his hits)

RIP, Sean Taylor.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:05 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
Quote:
one or two great hits?!?!?

he's had like 10+ in all of years in the league.

roll the film

rookie season - http://youtube.com/watch?v=gj0rEv6Gfk8
second year - http://youtube.com/watch?v=KA3OzdmyVOk (1:35 he kills lorenzo neal)
third year - http://redskins.torresa.com/videos/RedskinsDream.html (not a ST video but has lots of his hits)
Brian Dawkins
Bob Sanders (unfortunately, he doesn't have the level of fanboyism working for him that Sean Taylor does, so this is him from college, still gets the point across)
Adrian Wilson (again, nowhere near the level of fanboyism of Taylor, so that's the best available)
Roy Williams

Your point?

Quote:
Old 07-27-2007, 04:09 AM    (permalink
critesy
All-Pro

my point is in all 3 years he has been in the league he has made a poop load of huge hits.. not just one or two each year.

RIP, Sean Taylor.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:12 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
my point is in all 3 years he has been in the league he has made a poop load of huge hits.. not just one or two each year.
My point was the list overrates him. You've yet to make a counterargument to that point, yet have disagreed with it. Do you plan on making one?

Quote:
Old 07-27-2007, 04:15 AM    (permalink
critesy
All-Pro

whaaat, i've showed visual proof on why.. either that or i've mis-read something and need some sleep :( but i dont get it.

RIP, Sean Taylor.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:26 AM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
My point was the list overrates him. You've yet to make a counterargument to that point, yet have disagreed with it. Do you plan on making one?
and all youve said is he's overated because he gets more publicity
Thats like calling a band a sellout because they profit

Old 07-27-2007, 04:26 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
whaaat, i've showed visual proof on why.. either that or i've mis-read something and need some sleep :( but i dont get it.
You showed highlight reels, which, as I said earlier, many players have (even backed it up by PROVIDING highlight reels of other players). To rate Taylor as the hardest hitter in the NFL IMO is ridiculous. That's not to say he's not a hard hitter (all your highlight reels really prove), but with Dawkins, Williams, Sanders, and Wilson all playing S, it's hard to say he's even the hardest hitter at his own position.

Quote:
Old 07-27-2007, 04:29 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
and all youve said is he's overated because he gets more publicity
Actually it's completely different. Players do get overrated because of overexposure (such as being drafted #5 overall and called the best safety prospect in years). Bands sellout when they change their style of music to appease the mainstream, not when they make a profit. Completely different concepts there.

Quote:
Old 07-27-2007, 04:36 AM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Actually it's completely different. Players do get overrated because of overexposure (such as being drafted #5 overall and called the best safety prospect in years). Bands sellout when they change their style of music to appease the mainstream, not when they make a profit. Completely different concepts there.
I never said selling out was making a profit

Old 07-27-2007, 04:37 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
I never said selling out was making a profit
Quote:
Huh?

Quote:
Old 07-27-2007, 04:44 AM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Huh?
Some people think that a band that profits (and gets a song played on MTV, and becomes popular etc) sells out, I was saying that you cant call Taylor overatted because he gets publicity. He doesnt tell people to make youtube vids of him, just like bands dont tell people to buy their cd's. Calling a band a sellout because they profit is wrong, just like calling him overated for getting publicity is. Do you not understand an analogy.
Anyway, there's no way of answearing this unless we went back and looked at both of their plays through the past year

Old 07-27-2007, 04:55 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Calling a band a sellout because they profit is wrong, just like calling him overated for getting publicity is. Do you not understand an analogy.
I understand an analogy, it just needs to make sense. Your analogy doesn't work because a band doesn't have to sellout to be profitable, but a player basically has to be overexposed to be overrated.

Quote:
Anyway, there's no way of answearing this unless we went back and looked at both of their plays through the past year
I have an extremely difficult time buying that the hardest hitter in the NFL is someone whose rank as the hardest hitter at his own position can be easily debated. If he's not the hardest hitter in the NFL, then he is overrated by this list. It's really that simple.

Quote:
Old 07-27-2007, 05:09 AM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

All im saying is, you cant call him overated because he gets publicity and expousure and apparently he gets all the exposure because he's the hardest hitting S

Old 07-27-2007, 05:13 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
All im saying is, you cant call him overated because he gets publicity and expousure
That's what getting publicity and exposure does, so yes I can.

Quote:
and apparently he gets all the exposure because he's the hardest hitting S
No, he gets all the exposure because he was a high draft pick who had great expectations coming in and people want him to succeed so they can say they were right about him.

Quote:
Old 07-27-2007, 09:53 AM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.

Quote:
That's what getting publicity and exposure does, so yes I can.

No, he gets all the exposure because he was a high draft pick who had great expectations coming in and people want him to succeed so they can say they were right about him.
He gets that kind of exposure because he has the best skill set as his position.

Name another 6-2.5 225 safety that runs around a 4.4 coming out of college and I'll see your argument. He preforms well when he has a competent safety along side him. With Landry being the ballhawk that he is, Taylor can free roam more and not be as liable in coverage.

There's no way to measure how hard somebody hits, just when receivers go across the middle, they know who will be there ready to knock them on the floor.