Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum Discuss the Bucs

Old 07-26-2007, 09:30 PM    (permalink
Merlin
Veteran

Merlin hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Post Rice Cut!

(July 26, 2007) -- As every team gears up for the open of camp, no team had a busier day than the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

First they signed their first-round draft choice, defensive end Gaines Adams (the No. 4 overall selection) to a six-year, $45.8 million contract that includes $18.5 million worth of guaranteed money.

Simeon Rice was a hero in 2002, but was unproductive in 2006.
Then Tampa Bay signed both its second-round picks, offensive lineman Arron Sears and Sabby Piscitelli.

And then, in the stunner of the day, Tampa Bay cut longtime Pro Bowl defensive end Simeon Rice after he failed his physical. Apparently, Rice still has not recovered from his shoulder problems and Tampa Bay wiped Rice and his $7.2 million base salary off its books.

And there are other intriguing financial developments in Tampa.

When players reported to training camp tonight in Orlando, Jake Plummer was not one of them.

On July 27, the Buccaneers officially will place Plummer on the Reserve/Did Not Report list. By doing so, Plummer will be in violation of his contract, and he will owe the Buccaneers $7 million in bonus money -- money that Tampa Bay intends to pursue. Additionally, the Buccaneers also plan to fine Plummer $14,000 a day for not being in camp, the amount they are allowed to impose under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement.

But as Tampa Bay has pointed out in the past, a player cannot unilaterally retire. A team first must accept a player's retirement papers, and the Buccaneers have no plans to do for Plummer, meaning he is in default of his contract. He actually was in default when he failed to show up to minicamps, but the Buccaneers opted to leave the issue alone for the time being. No longer.

Plummer might decide to retire, as he has insisted to his friends and family. But the Bucs front office is one tough customer. It's planning to make the decision a costly one for Plummer.

Tampa Bay's moves just might be the start of them this weekend, too.

With an additional $7.2 million in salary-cap space, the Buccaneers have the funds they need to sign free-agent quarterback Daunte Culpepper. Right now, the Buccaneers are the only team that has showed any type of sincere interest in the former Vikings and Dolphins quarterback.

Culpepper has said he wanted a deal -- preferably a one-year deal -- in place by the start of camp. Tampa Bay clearly would like to have another quarterback in camp, as the Buccaneers feel they never have enough of them.

And now that they have signed their top three picks, cut Rice, and counted out Plummer, Tampa Bay is free to pursue Culpepper ... in what might be the next big headline out of Tampa.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10270724

Wow.....busy, busy, busy!

I'm a little surprised we cut Rice, (this year) though a failed physical is a failed physical, (unless your name is John Lynch) having said that, Bruce Allen doesn't think this is the end for Rice, and Rice himself believes he'll be back in 4 weeks!

Rumour has it, the Bucs asked Rice to take a pay cut.....he refused!

If he's not willing this season, he won't be willing next season, so the Bucs management have said, OK, let the future be our present, they obviously have faith in Adams to start this year, so we're moving on.

Just to add, this particular piece of management, doesn't have the feeling of a HC and GM being worried about their job security.

I need a new Sig....lols
Old 07-26-2007, 10:37 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brian Brohm baby...one step closer...

At least we'll still have him in Madden :)

Honestly...I'm shocked, as I assume all Bucs fans are. Shoulder injury or not he's a major upgrade over Adams and now we are left with minimal depth. I'd hate to be an optimistic Bucs fan right now...

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:38 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well as an optimistic Buc fan :), I guess this just means that Gaines Adams is going to get a lot of playing time this year.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:39 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
Well as an optimistic Buc fan :), I guess this just means that Gaines Adams is going to get a lot of playing time this year.
And we will end up 4-12 again. Go Canes Go!

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-27-2007, 05:32 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
And we will end up 4-12 again. Go Canes Go!
Well at least we can't actually get any worse. Well we could, but we aren't Raiders bad.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:59 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
Well at least we can't actually get any worse. Well we could, but we aren't Raiders bad.
Exactly. Baby steps, just baby steps...

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-27-2007, 12:16 PM    (permalink
StaticGator
Rookie

StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Brian Brohm baby...one step closer...

At least we'll still have him in Madden :)

Honestly...I'm shocked, as I assume all Bucs fans are. Shoulder injury or not he's a major upgrade over Adams and now we are left with minimal depth. I'd hate to be an optimistic Bucs fan right now...
It was already going to be his last season in Tampa. The team's not ready to contend in 2007 so it really doesn't matter if he leaves one year early.
StaticGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:18 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticGator View Post
It was already going to be his last season in Tampa. The team's not ready to contend in 2007 so it really doesn't matter if he leaves one year early.
To some it matters, because some Bucs fans think we're destined for the Super Bowl this year with Garcia the savior.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-27-2007, 12:32 PM    (permalink
StaticGator
Rookie

StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
To some it matters, because some Bucs fans think we're destined for the Super Bowl this year with Garcia the savior.
Well more than a few Bucs fans think Mike Allstott is still an NFL level running back but I don't concern myself with those people.
StaticGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:56 PM    (permalink
trkaline
Pro Bowler

trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man i'd love to have Rice too bad my team couldn't use him..
trkaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:58 PM    (permalink
Tampa 2 4 life
All-Pro

Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Shelton Quarles 2.0.

At least with Rice he didn't show up for every game, so maybe Adams can do better.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:28 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticGator View Post
Well more than a few Bucs fans think Mike Allstott is still an NFL level running back but I don't concern myself with those people.
Well I think he is still technically a NFL level running back. If he weren't he wouldn't be in the NFL.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:11 AM    (permalink
Watchman
Veteran

Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Rice has admitted that his shoulder still isn't right, and that he needs to have more surgery. $7M for a DE that was going to miss some time this season is a lot. Asking him to take a pay cut is not unreasonable.

I liked Rice a lot as a player, and he was always pretty interesting as a personality. But it doesn't sound like this year we are talking about the Simeon Rice that we all know, we are talking about a Rice who isn't there physically. Knowing the team isn't going to re-sign him, since they just drafted his replacement, the move doesn't bother me.

Now if Rice was 100% I'd be pissed about the move, but he isn't.
Watchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:03 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
Rice has admitted that his shoulder still isn't right, and that he needs to have more surgery. $7M for a DE that was going to miss some time this season is a lot. Asking him to take a pay cut is not unreasonable.

I liked Rice a lot as a player, and he was always pretty interesting as a personality. But it doesn't sound like this year we are talking about the Simeon Rice that we all know, we are talking about a Rice who isn't there physically. Knowing the team isn't going to re-sign him, since they just drafted his replacement, the move doesn't bother me.

Now if Rice was 100% I'd be pissed about the move, but he isn't.
That doesn't change any of the points I made...he's still better than Adams and we still lack depth.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-29-2007, 06:41 PM    (permalink
Watchman
Veteran

Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
That doesn't change any of the points I made...he's still better than Adams and we still lack depth.
I disagree with your assessment that a Simeon Rice who is still hurt, needs more surgery, and then rehab, is better than Adams. Simeon Rice 100% healthy is better than Adams. Simeon Rice with one arm might, stress the might, not be.

I'm also not sure how much depth an injured Simeon Rice provides. Though I agree overall the team lacks quality depth on the d-line.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:35 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I disagree with your assessment that a Simeon Rice who is still hurt, needs more surgery, and then rehab, is better than Adams. Simeon Rice 100% healthy is better than Adams. Simeon Rice with one arm might, stress the might, not be.

I'm also not sure how much depth an injured Simeon Rice provides. Though I agree overall the team lacks quality depth on the d-line.
The season doesn't open until September. Simeon Rice is a player that prides himself on preparation and training. He is an experienced proven veteran that can get to the QB. Gaines Adams is a rookie, and an overrated one at that. The way our defense is shaping up it is unlikely for him to sniff double-digit sacks, which is a routine number for Rice. You can't doubt that having Rice on the field would benefit Adams as well as the team. This injury has been overblown by the coaches and it's an excuse to save some money (for what?).

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-29-2007, 09:21 PM    (permalink
Watchman
Veteran

Quote:
The season doesn't open until September. Simeon Rice is a player that prides himself on preparation and training. He is an experienced proven veteran that can get to the QB. Gaines Adams is a rookie, and an overrated one at that. The way our defense is shaping up it is unlikely for him to sniff double-digit sacks, which is a routine number for Rice. You can't doubt that having Rice on the field would benefit Adams as well as the team. This injury has been overblown by the coaches and it's an excuse to save some money (for what?).
I'll see if I can find the links to Rice's interviews, but by his own admission he still isn't right, and is going to get his shoulder cleaned out again. Rice said he was still about a month away, I'm curious if that takes into consideration an additional procedure on his shoulder.

If Rice was 100% healthy then we wouldn't be having this discussion, because the team never would have cut him. But, it isn't unreasonable to ask him to take a paycut given that he's dinged and won't be right for a while. Adams vs. a 100% Rice is no contest, but I'm not convinced we would have seen Rice 100% the first part of the season, and if that is the case a pay cut isn't unreasonable.

I saw on another board they asked him to take a cut of $2.5M from the $7M he was scheduled to make. Don't know if that is fact or not.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:00 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I'll see if I can find the links to Rice's interviews, but by his own admission he still isn't right, and is going to get his shoulder cleaned out again. Rice said he was still about a month away, I'm curious if that takes into consideration an additional procedure on his shoulder.

If Rice was 100% healthy then we wouldn't be having this discussion, because the team never would have cut him. But, it isn't unreasonable to ask him to take a paycut given that he's dinged and won't be right for a while. Adams vs. a 100% Rice is no contest, but I'm not convinced we would have seen Rice 100% the first part of the season, and if that is the case a pay cut isn't unreasonable.

I saw on another board they asked him to take a cut of $2.5M from the $7M he was scheduled to make. Don't know if that is fact or not.
I don't really care because he was a goner soon anyway and I've given up on this season, but cutting a DE of his caliber is a stupid move regardless. We're paying 2 QBs "starter's money" so I don't see why this 2.5 Mill was so goddamn important. It's almost the Preseason, what do we need 2.5 Mill for anyway?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 07-30-2007, 04:36 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I don't really care because he was a goner soon anyway and I've given up on this season, but cutting a DE of his caliber is a stupid move regardless. We're paying 2 QBs "starter's money" so I don't see why this 2.5 Mill was so goddamn important. It's almost the Preseason, what do we need 2.5 Mill for anyway?
As unlikely as it is, we could soon be paying three QB's starter money if the whole Culpepper thing goes down. I'm against it, but you never no. It has been a relatively eventful off season.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:37 AM    (permalink
Watchman
Veteran

The more I read about training camp the more I wonder why the Bucs are paying Simms at all.