Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-14-2010, 11:17 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2001 is one of the most uncharacteristic movies ever made, but that doesn't make it bad or wrong. Kubrick manages to tell a significant portion of the movie without dialogue and was determined that the dialogue that was present would reflect the ponderous nature of real conversation, not the sharply written manner that movies tend to represent.

Do I enjoy watching 2001? Eh, it has its moments of greatness and while those moments are perhaps more poignant due to the pacing, it's hard to be engaged over that entire film. The first time I watched it I walked away impressed though. I got to see it from the original 70mm film on a soundsystem turned high enough that when the monolith does its thing, half the audience plugged their ears.

Movies don't have to do one thing in one way, but most of them do. Kubrick departed from that in a big way and generally gets respect for it. I think it was a milestone in cinematic history, albeit one that's tough to love.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:51 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know if The Expendables will be any good but it has one heck of a cast Sylvester Stallone,Arnold Schwarzenegger,Bruce Willis,Mickey Rourke,"Stone Cold" Steve Austin,Jet Li, and Jason Statham to name a few.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:21 PM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I find it interesting you are giving me **** for liking that movie because I remember you saying something along the lines of...

So, what's it like being a hypocritical moron?
I was giving you **** for acting like the movie is impossible to find less than great. If you said, "Oh, I love that movie. It's Kubrick's masterpiece." I wouldn't have said a thing. I wouldn't have said a goddamn thing to you. I would have chimed in on my opinion of the movie, but that's it. Acting like there are certain movies where people have to love them because they're considered to be among the greatest movies ever made is ********. Thinking that someone's opinion is somehow inferior to yours because they don't like a classic... well, I pretty much just described what that is with my reply to you. If you're thinking, "I never said his opinion was inferior to mine," well, yeah, ya did. That's how comments like that come across.

"I... I don't know what to say."

How about nothing?

He doesn't see what's so great about it. He probably thought it sucked. He probably thought it was boring (just guessing since he didn't say too much). He's not wrong. Instead of making some pointless comment like that, make a reply about what you liked about it. If you want to have some pompous attitude about it, then be my guest, but I will give you **** for it. It is what it is.

See Paranoidmoonduck's response for how to make a reply. That's a great response. Not much you can say to that. If I could, I would rep him, but I can't. I wasn't being hypocritical. At all. I don't care how much you liked it or how much you think you have to like it. Could care less. I don't give two flying ***** what you like or what you don't like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Last edited by BigBanger : 07-14-2010 at 12:25 PM.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:28 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2001 re-analyzed

As someone old enough on the board to remember the mega-impact of 2001 when it premiered in 1969 I am compelled to defend 2001: A Space Odyssey as a major film masterwork for its & any other times.

It was anything but boring, actually cutting edge for the that most radical, most-changing world of '69 when all of society was being turned on its end every wk. with some new earthshaking story or countercultural trend, so audiences expected cutting edge then & they got it with 2001.

And not just for the special effects that were unprecedented then, it had a terrific Classical music-based soundtrack integrated seamlessly with the scenes (Strauss 3-qtr-timed waltzes with the turning spaceship superstructure, stunning), the ancient aliens involved with human evolution from the Arthur C. Clarke story basis depicted with the chimps using technology/tools in the opening sequence changing to that spaceship with the Strauss waltz background theme that started a revolution in scifi/fantasy film editing (Kubrick was a masterful editor in everything he did, as in unfinished dog-ass films like Eyes Wide Shut that Cruise & Kidman hijacked & re-edited after he died), & even had humor in one of the 1st malicious film robots in the HAL 5000 -- remember "Open the pod door, Hal?"

Note Kubrick's later use of Beethoven in Clockwork Orange which also used his long, nearly silent frozen camera scenes for max effect that were one of his trademarks.

That line from Dave to HAL was the often-repeated HS joke from the wk. 2001 opened in '68. I know it was in my HS, I remember the sold out showings & long lines after the initial buzz when 2001 opened in Fall of '69, it was the talk of Hollywood & the whole world. And there was obvious timely psychedelic drug influence in the last 15 mind-blowing mins....... straight arrow people who never dreamed of doing LSD did it after seeing that film, although they may have been a tad disappointed in the hallucinatory effects. Again, Kubrick knew how to use editing even in those old, pre-digital Movieola days to its best effect.

If it lacks in any area that would be character development & plotline, as it seemed to be 3 films concatenated into one very long one, & some say it was too long & should have left off those last 15 mins, & that's a valid argument. Those Clarke fans who had read the original story had harsh criticisms of the divergences from that storyline taken by Kubrick, but the film stands on its own merits as a masterpiece IMO.

Last edited by LizardState : 07-14-2010 at 12:57 PM.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:32 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

watch every other scifi movie from 1969 or before and then watch Space Odyssey. great photography and great music even though it kinda drags and can put you to sleep. first time i saw it i was trying to figure out what it was, the 2nd time and every time after that i liked it so much more b/c i knew what to expect. kubrick is one of those guys who just makes good movies, albeit weird and psychadelic ones.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:40 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
watch every other scifi movie from 1969 or before and then watch Space Odyssey. great photography and great music even though it kinda drags and can put you to sleep.
I would not disagree with that but that doesn't change the fact that I found it very boring.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:12 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

it is boring. you gotta be in a certain mood to watch it.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's not boring if you like cinematography and music.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:29 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

yes that's what i'm saying. it's ahead of its time too.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's plenty entertaining, whether I'm in the "right mood" or not.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:39 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just saw Collateral for the first time. Great freaking movie. Cruise did get a little too t-1000 for my liking, but it was still a bad ass movie.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:48 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Indeed it was... Saw it a long time ago wouldn't mind watching it again.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:11 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Just saw Collateral for the first time. Great freaking movie. Cruise did get a little too t-1000 for my liking, but it was still a bad ass movie.
Cruise is at his best when he plays bad guys, like the motivational speaker/con man in Magnolia.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:17 PM    (permalink
LadyGaga'sPenis

Anyone ever watch Tarkovsky? I'm not overly failure with him, but I've been watching some of his cinematography and it looks rather amazing.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:13 PM    (permalink
Job
Pro Bowler

Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll rep you just for your name.
Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:49 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mr whites review of Inception is up for everyones entertainment/fuel to continue to hate the guy. I guess Inception just isnt going to be as good as Jonah Hex was.....

Idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:57 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We fliped a coin so we watch Knight and Day. it was okay I guess, but fairly predictable which I guess not much to do these days that isn't.

Anyone watched Mystery Team thuogh?
zachsaints52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:04 PM    (permalink
El Peefs?????
Pro Bowler

El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
We fliped a coin so we watch Knight and Day. it was okay I guess, but fairly predictable which I guess not much to do these days that isn't.

Anyone watched Mystery Team thuogh?
Mystery Team is funny, but oh my god is it awkward.
El Peefs????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:14 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Mr whites review of Inception is up for everyones entertainment/fuel to continue to hate the guy. I guess Inception just isnt going to be as good as Jonah Hex was.....

Idiot.
I have been waiting for Inception for months now.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:30 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

"What's taters precious?"
Old 07-15-2010, 01:38 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

edit....

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 07-15-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:01 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Another Thor image released. First looks at Loki and Odin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:03 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Oh boy, doesnt get much cheesier than that. I'm sorry.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 07-15-2010, 02:06 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, the latest rumor is that Mark Ruffalo is in late stage talks to take over the role of Bruce Banner for The Avengers. Marvel arent too huge on actor continuity in their universe huh. First Cheadle replaces Howard, now Norton is being replaced...Downey better watch his ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:11 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
Also, the latest rumor is that Mark Ruffalo is in late stage talks to take over the role of Bruce Banner for The Avengers. Marvel arent too huge on actor continuity in their universe huh. First Cheadle replaces Howard, now Norton is being replaced...Downey better watch his ass.
Disney bought out Marvel awhile ago so I would have thought they would have the funds to keep all of the big actors.