Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 12-26-2013, 09:37 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf (Rosebud) View Post
I started rooting for the guy to die in Into the Wild about 20 minutes in.
Into the Wild is clearly a documentary about how nature conquered the smugness of moronic suburban white children. That the book didn't inspire more naive trust fund babies to commit suicide by stupidity is an utter shame.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:39 AM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The LOTR books are so freaking boring. Overly descriptive with a ton of stupid songs and hard to follow at times.

The movies on the other hand are amazing. Also, I loved the Desolation of Smaug... was very good imo.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:40 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Into the Wild is clearly a documentary about how nature conquered the smugness of moronic suburban white children. That the book didn't inspire more naive trust fund babies to commit suicide by stupidity is an utter shame.
I liked the movie, okay. Screw you and Rosebud.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:42 AM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
The LOTR books are so freaking boring.
Ive heard that from a lot of people.
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:43 AM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I liked Wolf of Wall Street. It was 30 minutes too long, but I enjoyed it otherwise.

Especially all of the boobs and blow. Yeah.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:06 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Ive heard that from a lot of people.
There are like 7123013892103 pages in the fellowship all talking about how beautiful Rivendell is. The book would be great for puting children to sleep.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:14 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
There are like 7123013892103 pages in the fellowship all talking about how beautiful Rivendell is. The book would be great for puting children to sleep.
I tried reading Fellowship, but couldn't even get past the part with the hobbits traveling to the first meeting of the fellowship. I just started reading the Hobbit, so hopefully it's a bit better.

As for the movies, I enjoy each of the first 3, but don't understand why people think they are the greatest movies ever made. They are good, and the visuals/effects are good, but they are just entertaining movies and nothing more. I actually enjoyed the Hobbit a lot more than the first 3 movies, but probably because Martin Freeman is awesome and isn't annoying like Elijah Wood or Sean Astin.
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:26 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
As for the movies, I enjoy each of the first 3, but don't understand why people think they are the greatest movies ever made. They are good, and the visuals/effects are good, but they are just entertaining movies and nothing more.
High fantasy, epic score, stunning visuals and a story that they're getting into way more than you are. More than that, people sometimes focus too much on the main plot of a movie franchise and miss that the most appealing part is the world around the main plot that has been created. Mind you, I've never actually read any of the Tolkien books or watched any of the movies (I know, I should get on that), but I would venture a guess from other experiences that's the case.

Case in point: Star Wars

Last edited by Crickett : 12-26-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:33 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Orlando bloom is to peter jackson as johnny depp is to tim burton. Just **** him already. The lotr movies never felt like much was at stake when you have billions of orcs storming at your castle and a single elf is just shield surfing his way through them and jokingly keeping track of how many hes slaughtered with a dwarf who is also doing the same thing. Idk, after the fellpwship i dodnt care much for the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:39 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
High fantasy, epic score, stunning visuals and a story that they're getting into way more than you are. More than that, people sometimes focus too much on the main plot of a movie franchise and miss that the most appealing part is the world around the main plot that has been created. Mind you, I've never actually read any of the Tolkien books or watched any of the movies (I know, I should get on that), but I would venture a guess from other experiences that's the case.

Case in point: Star Wars
I was actually going to post at the end that it's the same thing with Star Wars.

It's just that personally when I watch LOTR, or Star Wars for that matter, I am very entertained but am never emotionally swayed or surprised or wowed by anything going on.
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:45 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Orlando bloom is to peter jackson as johnny depp is to tim burton. Just **** him already. The lotr movies never felt like much was at stake when you have billions of orcs storming at your castle and a single elf is just shield surfing his way through them and jokingly keeping track of how many hes slaughtered with a dwarf who is also doing the same thing. Idk, after the fellpwship i dodnt care much for the series.
I must have missed Bloom in King Kong, Lovely Bones, The Frighteners, Heavenly Creatures or Brain Dead.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 12-26-2013, 12:50 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I must have missed Bloom in King Kong, Lovely Bones, The Frighteners, Heavenly Creatures or Brain Dead.
You know what i meant brod. Isnt he in the hobbit series for no discernible reason as well?

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:55 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
You know what i meant brod. Isnt he in the hobbit series for no discernible reason as well?
Well, he wasn't in the book.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 12-26-2013, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Well, he wasn't in the book.
Which was my point. Bloom boner.

Also you left off jackson's best movie on your list...bad taste

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-26-2013, 01:42 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i actually thought legolas and tauriel added a pretty nice touch to the second Hobbit movie. If anything they made up for the utterly lackluster action in the Smaug scenes. I hope they run and hide from him again...

I've read the LOTR books and The Hobbit but don't have any particular attachment for them; the movies are their own beasts and so far all 5 of them work well for me. I'm one of the few people that liked the first Hobbit movie taking its time though, so maybe a minority opinion.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:49 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've always loved the hobbit, but that's in large part do to the amazing animated film version...and the fact that the hobbit book spent about 78% less time describing bushes and trees as they walk through the forest. Granted I still haven't seen the peterjackson movies and am not going to until the third one comes out, but still The Hobbit avoids a lot of the problems that killed the LOTR books and made me just stop half way through the return of the king 4 or 5 times. I've still never read the part where Sauroman destroys the shire.
Quote:
I liked the movie, okay. Screw you and Rosebud.
You would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:01 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Star Wars ******* destroys LOTR get the **** out of here with that nonsense.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:32 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

I ******* loved Wolf of Wall Street. **** the haters.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 12-26-2013, 08:51 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So excited to see Wolf of Wall Street. It seems like a movie I will absolutely love. Lots of great movies to see in the next month or so.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:17 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

I needed you the other day, Baines. I even called on you for help.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 12-26-2013, 09:52 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

I enjoyed the place beyond the pines.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-26-2013, 09:58 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I needed you the other day, Baines. I even called on you for help.
Idiots, all of them. Tree of Life was amazing and Drive was easily the second best movie that year (Shame owns all of your souls). That's alright, I feel these are some of the same people who still haven't experienced the glory that is The Shield.

Quote:
I ******* loved that movie. Was so shocked when the whole Gosling thing happened a third in. It maybe dragged a bit but picked up. The last 45 minutes is just incredible.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:01 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You all are absolutely uneducated buffoons. LOTR is one of the epic tales of our time. And The Hobbit is a fantastic concise partner to the series. Of modern mythology and epic literature, The Hobbit is The Iliad to LOTR's The Odyssey. And The Silmarillion is Cosmogony.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:04 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
It's alright, but I didn't think it was anything special. Bradley Cooper's son is the worst movie character in a LONG time. Words cannot describe how much I wanted him dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
Idiots, all of them. Tree of Life was amazing and Drive was easily the second best movie that year (Shame owns all of your souls). That's alright, I feel these are some of the same people who still haven't experienced the glory that is The Shield.
You do have a fair point, my friend.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 12-26-2013, 10:12 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Other than breezing through Mirkwood Forrest too fast I still enjoyed the 2nd movie. Keep in mind most of the added stuff is from Tolkien's massive collection of Middle Earth notes. His son allowed Jackson to use that material to flesh out a lot of merely-implied stuff from The Hobbit.

The Tauriel character was also unnecessary but eh.
Yes, I am very well aware of the surrounding tales. But there are many things that are wrong with the 7-9 hours Peter Jackson is dedicating to The Hobbit and surrounding tales. I am too irritated to list them all out at once, but the biggest problem I have with this is simple:

The mere fact that some (not all) of these things actually take place concurrently with the story does not inherently make them a part of the story of The Hobbit.

There is a reason why the book is called The Hobbit. It's about Bilbo Baggins. It's about a singular character's journey that introduces us to the race of hobbits and we see his growth throughout the book. Tolkien purposefully wanted Gandalf to disappear and reappear throughout the book. As a story The Hobbit has absolutely nothing to do with Dol Guldur or Sauron mustering his armies after finally revealing himself 3000 years after his demise.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote