Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-21-2009, 12:17 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
And I didnt like Idiocracy at all. It was incredibly hyped up, and I found it to be stupid and dull.
I had a bad feeling that's what it would be like. But it was great, instead, and you are foolish for thinking otherwise. Obviously some parts are just stupid, but you have to take that with the movie.

On the topic of Judge, the part in the Extract trailer where Affleck says "She's a tramp!?" is still the funniest thing I've seen all month.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:19 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee View Post
On the topic of Judge, the part in the Extract trailer where Affleck says "She's a tramp!?" is still the funniest thing I've seen all month.
Well you clearly haven't seen THIS!

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:21 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post

Hes jacking his little wenis!

**** thats funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:22 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No, no I have not.

I did see Adventureland, though, and there was a good-clean-fun moment involving Kristen Wiig, stuffed bananas, and eyepatches that I heartily enjoyed.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:24 AM    (permalink
the decider13
Pro Bowler

the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post

I almost cried when I saw that...I totally forgot about that part.

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.
the decider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:27 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee View Post
No, no I have not.

I did see Adventureland, though, and there was a good-clean-fun moment involving Kristen Wiig, stuffed bananas, and eyepatches that I heartily enjoyed.
Stop rubbing it in, I want to see this badly. It is nowhere on the internet.
Quote:
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:31 AM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-Pro

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
I watched it twice when I rented it. I guess I'm just a WWII movie buff though. The June 20 Attempt is a good story even if you already know what happens, and apparently Tom Cruise has the exact same profile as the real Colonel Staffenburg. Self-fulfilling destiny movies are still good without being unpredictable a lot of times - American Beauty pretty much tells you how it ends in the first scene.
You're off a month on the date, but you're right on the similarities in looks;

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:42 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
I bought Michael Clayton and School For Scoundrels at Walmart for 5 each. Which one should I watch? I haven't seen either one.
I didnt like either. School for Scoundrels was your run of the mill comedy w/ a few laughs and Michael Clayton bored me to sleep.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:37 AM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Moon was ******* great, ****! Rockwell rocked, see it asap
Old 06-21-2009, 08:05 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyaraiderfan View Post
God damned you. It isnt playing anywhere near my house.
Quote:
Old 06-21-2009, 08:12 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just saw Up. Pretty good movie actually.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:19 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I just saw Up. Pretty good movie actually.
What do you mean actually? Did you expect it to suck or something?

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:11 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
I'm partial to Gregory Peck in 'Mockingbird myself. Brando's best performance I think was in the Godfather.
See Brando as Col. Kurtz in Apocalypse Now. He equaled if not surpassed his much earlier performance in Streetcar Named Desire or On the Waterfront 2 decades earlier. He's not onscreen a lot, & some of his best dialog is monologue on tape listened to by Martin Sheen. Copolla continues to coax immortal performances from actors, Scorsese a close 2nd. I consider them & their classic films dating from the 70s both like the Italian renaissance painters, Botticelli, Da Vinci, et. al, painting epic canvases on the big screen that will live forever.

As for DeNiro, as Lamotta in Raging Bull was excellent, no question, but I prefer him as Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver.....it had the greatest, most imitated throwdown challenge soliloquy in filmdom: "You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You must be talkin' to me, I'm the only one here..." how many fistfights have started with that throwdown?

RB is btw a magnificent sports film, it projects the zeitgeist of the great age of the middleweights in the 50s in an almost journalistic slice of life perspective as p/o of a biog film, the B&W enhanced that zeitgeist immensely. Deniro personified the bludgeoning approach of Lamotta in the ring that earned him the nickname Raging Bull, see the segment of him going at it hammer & tongs with Sugar Ray Robinson & you see what I mean, with Lamotta on the ropes bleeding from about 5-6 head wounds, broken nose, & daring Robinson to "C'mon! C'mon!!" just bring it -- the snapshot moment of the expression of stunned disbelief on Robinson's face is priceless, it told it all. One of the top 10 sports films ever.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:23 AM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
First off, Ed Norton is the most diverse actor of his generation. Look at the variety in the roles he has played. He can be anyone. To go from Smoochy the Rhino to Derek Vinyard is so ******* impressive. Hes an amazing actor, and better then most of the actors you named...I dont find him overrated at all.

I would suggest that before you call into question whether Ive seen a movie, you let me weigh in on it first. On The Waterfront is a fantastic film, in just about every way. I love Brando in that, and for you to call it soapy and melodramatic just further proves that you cannot appreciate a classic (see previous posts on Terminator, T2).

Leo was the only flaw in the Departed? Everyone but you seems to think he was the best thing about it.

And to take Matt Dillon and Guy Pearce over Ed Norton is ridiculous. Neither of them have ever done anything to even be mentioned in the same breath as Norton. I love Memento as much as the next guy, but it certainly wasnt a knockout from Pearce. And Matt Dillon? Really?
Look at this decade. If you think Norton's resume is impressive, then I really don't know what to say. I used to consider Norton one of the top 5 actors in the business after I saw 25th Hour. Unfortunately, he's done next to nothing that I would consider noteworthy since then. He and Christian Bale were 1 and 2 as far as actors go for me about five years ago. Bale has gotten better and better (The Dark Knight kind of pissed me off with that voice) and I see Norton (getting very average roles) struggling to reinvent himself and make a performance distinguishable from the previous. The Illusionist? Solid movie, nothing spectacular and not bad, but he was so dull and one note in it. Bale had a similar movie come out at the same time and he plays a much more complex and interesting character that had some depth (also a much better movie). To me, he's giving the same performance, creating the same character, but the guy is in a different place, time or setting. I may have been overly critical with him, but it's just out of my disappointment for how his career is unfolding. I also don't think he has a performance that stands out. Three nomination worthy performances with Primal Fear, American History X and Fight Club. Other than that he's been fairly average. One of the few movies I haven't seen of his is Death to Smoochy, so I can't comment on how impressive that is or isn't. Matt Dillon's best performance (Crash) is better than anything Norton has done so I think that puts him in the same breath as far as best performances go, but I'll take his name back and concede the fact that Norton is a better actor. I feel Dillon should do more work, especially dramas.

I'm going to assume you haven't seen Factory Girl. Because if you did, you might say Norton hasn't done anything to be in the same breath as Guy Pearce. Not an impressive movie but the two lead performances (Sienna Miller was amazing) are so strong I'd recommend it to just about anyone. I agree about Memento (actually think its overrated and was mildly disappointed with it... still a good movie, but not as good as people were saying... expectations were probably too high). Pearce was nothing more than good in that. I don't think I would put that in his top five. A movie that came out the same year, Rules of Engagement, was a vastly superior performance from Pearce. I consider it a nomination worthy performance. His accent was phenomenal. Easily the most underrated actor in the business. I consider the range of going from Andy Warhol to Maj. Mark Biggs more impressive than Smoochy (for me Aaron) to Vineyard.

I can appreciate a classic, if it's worthy of calling a great movie. I even said I really like T2. I consider it one of the best Sci-Fi movies ever made. I liked Salvation slightly more... sue me. I consider the best movie made Raging Bull... then I watch The Godfather and consider that the best movie ever made, so my top 2 movies are classics. Boogie Nights, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and Saving Private Ryan would probably round out a top five, but those movies have nothing to due with whether they're classics or not (The Conversation and Traffic are right in the mix along with a movie like Walk The Line or The Departed, and I'd also add Apocalypse Now, Goodfellas and Monsters Ball). They are what they are... some of the best movies I've ever seen. I also didn't say you didn't see On The Waterfront. I said you read ****. Like Jack Nicholson... what's his best performance? One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest? The Departed, Easy Rider, About Schmidt, A Few Good Men, and The Shining were all better performances, but people write about One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest as being his best. It is a great performance, but I don't think it's his best, not even in his top three or four, which is an incredibly impressive resume. Brando was good in One The Waterfront, but certainly not his best and The Godfather isn't even comparable. He was much better in A Streetcar Named Desire and that doesn't touch Col. Kurtz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Last edited by BigBanger : 06-21-2009 at 10:32 AM.
BigBanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:26 AM    (permalink
the decider13
Pro Bowler

the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dillon in Crash>Norton in Fight Club???

Nope...that is just false.

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.
the decider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:30 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the decider13 View Post
Dillon in Crash>Norton in Fight Club???

Nope...that is just false.
Even worse. Dillon in Crash > Norton in AHX? Opinion are opinions but good God man.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:41 AM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Even worse. Dillon in Crash > Norton in AHX? Opinion are opinions but good God man.
I consider his best performance Primal Fear, which is the only performance I might call "award worthy." I consider Officer John Ryan (Dillon in Crash) an award worthy performance. I think those are very close and pretty much splitting hairs. Norton was more physically impressive in American History X than his pure acting. Kind of like Bale in The Machinist (Obviously not on the same scale, but...). Physically eye-popping performances with the transformations they go through, but the acting kind of takes a back seat. Normally I wouldn't call those performances nomination worthy, but with the physical aspect, it puts the performance from solid to very good.
Quote:
Quote:
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Quote:
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:42 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
Okay, firstly, Lehan didn't write the original source material. You might be thinking of Mystic River? Possibly Gone Baby Gone? Or maybe somehow confused it with the not yet released, but future Scorsese classic, Shutter Island. It was pretty much a remake of the Hong Kong trilogy, Infernal Affairs. Secondly, the script is a ******* a masterpiece.

You didn't know how it was going to end, so just stop. Were people going to die? That would be a reasonable assumption given the title, but to end in the fashion that it did... No.

As far as it not being bleak... how many people involved in this actually lived? How many saw "justice" through the legal process? The movie ends with a symbol that tries to show how far corruption exists (rat against the State House) and from an earlier reference of Nicholson's character drawing a picture of rats completely overtaking the State House. One could see the message showing how you're always going to have good and bad against each other, and you're going to have bad masking their identities with the good (Damon-- who's just as bad as the lead gangster constantly killing people), so the good are fighting amongst themselves to weed out the bad that infects that good. While the good is fighting the bad on the streets they're also in an internal war with themselves and battling corruption. Then you also have the main objective of the good constantly battling the evil on the streets making the constant war never ending and seemingly unwinable (for lack of a better word), especially when good and bad is nearly indistinguishable (Damon bad, Leo good, but their actions are the exact opposite). The bad don't have to play by the rules where the good does. Dignam (Wahlberg) knew Damon was a dirty little **** and he couldn't prove it, so he had to step outside his own bounds and play the game like criminals, making him... now bad? Dignam's character is a microcosm of the frustration a cop can feel... He knows for a fact that Damon is a dirty little rat, but by law he doesn't have enough evidence to prove it in court so he can't make an arrest, and as the bodies pile up around Damon, Dignam gets to the breaking point and acts just like a criminal and disregards the law, which he is supposed to uphold and protect.

I don't know how bleak you wanted it, but there surely isn't much positive or hope expressed in the film. It's as good a movie as you're going to see.
Yeah I caught the rat & the Mass. statehouse symbolism at the end, just a touch heavy-handed. If we hadn't caught it by then it was too late just before the credits rolled.

There were so many interwoven layers of corruption in The Departed that viewers have to choose between bad, worse & the worst in most corrupt, that bleakened things considerably in the storyline. The worst was what Nicholson's character was placed in the center of it for, & he did not disappoint.

Quote:
Leo as a tough guy was probably the only flaw in The Departed. I bet Ledger would have been a lot more convincing as Billy Constigan. I see that as one of the Leo' weaker performances, and I think he was out shined by Damon, Nicholson and Wahlberg.
yes, I was thinking of Mystic River by Lehane. I 1st wrote bad script but replaced it with OK when I thought of the characterization moments that Scorsese does so well, like with DiCaprio & Daniel Day Lewis in Gangs of NY & elsewhere.

Yeah that's right BB, DiCaprio did disappoint in The Departed, like I've earlier posted about him, he either hits a home run or stinks the whole film up for me. Depends on how he's cast, like he was perfect in The Beach & Catch Me If You Can, a total fish out of water in The Aviator as Howard Hughes in an otherwise superlative biopic, Hughes was very tall (6-4) & gaunt, with dark sunken eyes, DiCaprio is blonde & blue-eyed, reeking of boyishness much younger than his actual age. He was fine as an Irish orphan in Gangs of NY & held his own with Daniel Day Lewis, who blew everyone else off the screen in that & absolutely commanded every scene he was in.

And in the Departed too, not a tough guy, though DiCaprio convincingly played one with the rat test commanded by Nicholson where he sacrificed the flesh & bone of his hand, what was believable was Nicholson's matter of fact dismissal later with "I had to find out..." How bleak I wanted that film was the Shakespearean tragedy case for it I was trying to build in my post about Nicholson's character as a tragic character, he's as evil as Richard III & revels in it wielding power like another larger than life film villain, Orson Welles in Touch of Evil -- I was comparing it to one of the classic tragedies that does end in on a stage piled with the dead, Richard III, Hamlet, Macbeth, etc. I still think it disappoints on the whole, but Nicholson's character & performance did not, it's worth seeing for him alone.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:01 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
See Brando as Col. Kurtz in Apocalypse Now. He equaled if not surpassed his much earlier performance in Streetcar Named Desire or On the Waterfront 2 decades earlier. He's not onscreen a lot, & some of his best dialog is monologue on tape listened to by Martin Sheen. Copolla continues to coax immortal performances from actors, Scorsese a close 2nd. I consider them & their classic films dating from the 70s both like the Italian renaissance painters, Botticelli, Da Vinci, et. al, painting epic canvases on the big screen that will live forever.

As for DeNiro, as Lamotta in Raging Bull was excellent, no question, but I prefer him as Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver.....it had the greatest, most imitated throwdown challenge soliloquy in filmdom: "You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You must be talkin' to me, I'm the only one here..." how many fistfights have started with that throwdown?

RB is btw a magnificent sports film, it projects the zeitgeist of the great age of the middleweights in the 50s in an almost journalistic slice of life perspective as p/o of a biog film, the B&W enhanced that zeitgeist immensely. Deniro personified the bludgeoning approach of Lamotta in the ring that earned him the nickname Raging Bull, see the segment of him going at it hammer & tongs with Sugar Ray Robinson & you see what I mean, with Lamotta on the ropes bleeding from about 5-6 head wounds, broken nose, & daring Robinson to "C'mon! C'mon!!" just bring it -- the snapshot moment of the expression of stunned disbelief on Robinson's face is priceless, it told it all. One of the top 10 sports films ever.
Apacolypse Now really got weirder as the movie went on. I thought it was great how they put the monologue on the tape so you hear Brando before ever seeing him in the movie, and he was good, totally commanded the screen when he finally made an apperance. I'm still partial to his work in Streetcar and On the Waterfront over Apocalypse Now though. '50s filmmaking wasn't at its peak as it was in the '70s, but those performances were classic and groundbreaking really.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:03 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Guy Pearce is totally underrated. He plays Andy Warhol better than Andy Warhol : p
Old 06-21-2009, 12:07 PM    (permalink
fischbowl
All-NFLDC

fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyaraiderfan View Post
I'll catch it this week. It looks totally sweet

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"
fischbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:22 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

BigBanger is playing a joke on us all. He has to be...

Crash was highly overrated. As in, highly. I could barely finish the film, as it bored the living hell out of me. To say Matt Damon in Crash is better then Ed Norton in any of his better roles is absurd. Fight Club, American History X, Primal Fear, The People vs. Larry Flynt are all better Norton performances then Dillon in Crash. I would suggest that you watch Death to Smoochy, because not only is it a hilarious movie, but its another great performance from Norton and a drastic change from some of his other more serious work.

I have seen Factory Girl, and Im sorry, but Guy Pearce is just not in the same acting league as Ed Norton. I like him, and Memento is one of my all time favorites (not overrated by the way), but his performances simply do not stand out the way Nortons do. AHX is commonly referred to as one of the most powerful acting jobs in recent memory...does anyone say that about Guy Pearce?

As far as AHX is concerned, to say its simply impressive due to Nortons physical nature is ridiculous. The acting in that movie is tremendous, and the final scene in the shower where he puts his hand over the swastika is so incredibly moving. It is indeed impressive that Norton put on that kind of weight, but his acting was just as impressive.
Quote:
Old 06-21-2009, 01:16 PM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

Quote:
BigBanger is playing a joke on us all. He has to be...

Crash was highly overrated. As in, highly. I could barely finish the film, as it bored the living hell out of me. To say Matt Damon in Crash is better then Ed Norton in any of his better roles is absurd. Fight Club, American History X, Primal Fear, The People vs. Larry Flynt are all better Norton performances then Dillon in Crash. I would suggest that you watch Death to Smoochy, because not only is it a hilarious movie, but its another great performance from Norton and a drastic change from some of his other more serious work.

I have seen Factory Girl, and Im sorry, but Guy Pearce is just not in the same acting league as Ed Norton. I like him, and Memento is one of my all time favorites (not overrated by the way), but his performances simply do not stand out the way Nortons do. AHX is commonly referred to as one of the most powerful acting jobs in recent memory...does anyone say that about Guy Pearce?

As far as AHX is concerned, to say its simply impressive due to Nortons physical nature is ridiculous. The acting in that movie is tremendous, and the final scene in the shower where he puts his hand over the swastika is so incredibly moving. It is indeed impressive that Norton put on that kind of weight, but his acting was just as impressive.
I have never said Crash was a good movie. I'm not talking about the movie. If you want my opinion on the movie, here it is: Its borderline terrible in its heavy-handed, ridiculous non-stop coincidences and its PC approach to racism containing more racist characters than it needed to have in order to continuously pound us over the head with the messages Haggis so chooses, and he even has one character, Ludacris, pretty much look directly into the camera and talk about the suffrage of blacks and the stereotypes they face from the white man to then, moments later, act on those same stereotypes that they claim to not be apart of. I rolled my eyes during this movie as much as any movie I've ever seen. Most of the monstrous cast is stereotypical and lacking of any depth. I would, however, watch it again because Matt Dillon (not Damon) was just so damn good and the only authentic racist character in the movie. The movie on a whole had a lot of potential, but the writer/director is an incompetent tool. It has it's moments (both excellent and dreadful) and a very good soundtrack (very fitting). It is cliched, stereotypical garbage. I don't care how much I despise portions of the movie, this is one of the most powerful scenes I've ever come across...

Overrated? No doubt about it.

If Ed Norton ever did what Guy Pearce did in Factory Girl, then I'd call him rangy. I honestly don't think Norton could play that kind of character. I have little doubt in my mind about that. He's never given that kind of performance. Pearce should have gotten an Oscar nomination, but as you know, movies that don't get good reviews and don't sell a lot of tickets tend to get forgotten, which is a big reason why such a great performance goes without mention and why you don't hear people talk about that great or powerful Guy Pearce performance... same can be said for Sienna Miller. I think that is one of the best female performances I've ever seen. She was incredible, but Pearce was astonishing. I didn't even recognize him. You do that, and I think thats the mark of a truly great performance.

Just to reiterate, I think Norton is a very good actor, but his best days seem to be behind him. I just watched him get upstaged by Colin Farrell in Pride and Glory, and Norton even supported a much better New York accent. That wasn't a huge surprise to me since I believe Farrell might be a better actor since he's been getting better and better with age whereas Norton came out of gates throwing his best work and has failed to live up to that since. I will watch Death to Smoochy if and when I find it.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-21-2009, 01:24 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
I have never said Crash was a good movie. I'm not talking about the movie. If you want my opinion on the movie, here it is: Its borderline terrible in its heavy-handed, ridiculous non-stop coincidences and its PC approach to racism containing more racist characters than it needed to have in order to continuously pound us over the head with the messages Haggis so chooses, and he even has one character, Ludacris, pretty much look directly into the camera and talk about the suffrage of blacks and the stereotypes they face from the white man to then, moments later, act on those same stereotypes that they claim to not be apart of. I rolled my eyes during this movie as much as any movie I've ever seen. Most of the monstrous cast is stereotypical and lacking of any depth. I would, however, watch it again because Matt Dillon (not Damon) was just so damn good and the only authentic racist character in the movie. The movie on a whole had a lot of potential, but the writer/director is an incompetent tool. It has it's moments (both excellent and dreadful) and a very good soundtrack (very fitting). It is cliched, stereotypical garbage. I don't care how much I despise portions of the movie, this is one of the most powerful scenes I've ever come across...

Overrated? No doubt about it.

If Ed Norton ever did what Guy Pearce did in Factory Girl, then I'd call him rangy. I honestly don't think Norton could play that kind of character. I have little doubt in my mind about that. He's never given that kind of performance. Pearce should have gotten an Oscar nomination, but as you know, movies that don't get good reviews and don't sell a lot of tickets tend to get forgotten, which is a big reason why such a great performance goes without mention and why you don't hear people talk about that great or powerful Guy Pearce performance... same can be said for Sienna Miller. I think that is one of the best female performances I've ever seen. She was incredible, but Pearce was astonishing. I didn't even recognize him. You do that, and I think thats the mark of a truly great performance.

Just to reiterate, I think Norton is a very good actor, but his best days seem to be behind him. I just watched him get upstaged by Colin Farrell in Pride and Glory, and Norton even supported a much better New York accent. That wasn't a huge surprise to me since I believe Farrell might be a better actor since he's been getting better and better with age whereas Norton came out of gates throwing his best work and has failed to live up to that since. I will watch Death to Smoochy if and when I find it.
I completely agree with you about Crash. Most of my criticisms, and Im sure everyone elses as well, came from it addresses its racial issues with the subtlety of a monkey with a lead pipe. That was my bad with the Dillon and Damon thing, but yes, Dillon.

I still disagree with you on Pearce vs Norton, but I guess thats just a point of preference, although I think you will be hard pressed to find someone who will choose Pearce along with you. Hes underrated, but he has nothing on Norton IMO.

As for Norton, I dont think its too bad to be upstaged by Colin Farrell, who I think is also one of the best actors currently acting in Hollywood. For proof, just watch In Bruges or A Home At The End of The World. Hell, even Phone Booth, another movie of his I enjoy.
Quote:
Old 06-21-2009, 01:25 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watched Mean Girls last week... made me kinda miss high school, and I was surprised at how not bad it was.

It also reminded me of how hot Lohan used to be.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote