Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 01-21-2010, 08:08 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have not yet seen TWBB. I can get it at a library, but it's a 20-25 minute walk.

worth it?

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:25 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unseen View Post
I have not yet seen TWBB. I can get it at a library, but it's a 20-25 minute walk.

worth it?
Why would you waste time by walking there. Start running there right now.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:30 PM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
You might be worse then him. In what way do subtitles detract from the power of a performance? Acting is acting, whether the person is speaking English or not. And God help us if YOU are the person who speaks for the entire forum. You are the guy who thought Terminator Salvation was better then the originals.

As for your comment about me, I actually hadn't neg repped him at all. But guess what you are getting?

Furthermore, child? Really? Now you really sound like an idiot.
If I took the rep bar as seriously as you do, I might care. Only two neg reps? May I have another? Once you're done, you can give me another. Then another if you'd like. Go crazy. Go apeshit. I don't give a ****.

Salvation was better than the first. Not the second. Just to clarify, but that's simply a matter of opinion. There's something else to neg rep me for (once again... just for the **** of it. It's been a while.). Have fun with this post because I'm not done.

As far as the subtitles detracting from the actors/acting... well, I take it you have a problem with foreign film comprehension since you can't comprehend something in black & white right there on your computer screen, and this is without that mumbo jumbo language in the background when you're watching a movie in a language you can't begin to comprehend, but maybe you have something in the background distracting you? Such as some x-rated material? I've taken a ganders through the hot chick thread and I seen that you're very active you bad boy. I don't know. Anyway, you should read it again. I pretty much explain the issue right in that post.

I think you're the worst, but I don't cry about it every time you attempt to force feed stupid opinions about worthless subjects. "Ryans Reynolds FTW!!!!"

No, he's no FTW, whatever that means, but his next movie... I heard he's in a ******* casket for the entire thing, which is fitting since that's where his career has been.

"APS: Star Trek rules!!!
BB: No it doesn't.
APS: You're full of EPIC FAIL. Neg rep!!!!! Now, I'm going to spank it to some girl on youtube that isn't even that hot. Matter of fact, she's like 15."

That's what I read every time you try to talk to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Last edited by BigBanger : 01-21-2010 at 08:33 PM.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:41 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm sorry, but if you are watching a movie with foreign cultures or are set in other countries, and you expect them all to speak English in order to appease you, then you're an idiot.

You honestly cannot read subtitles and pay attention to acting at the same time?

And if you are going to watch a movie set in France, or Germany, or wherever, and apparently have the attention span of a gnat that you can't read and watch at the same time, then learn another ******* language besides English. Not everything has to be in English to be good.

Honest to ******* god how are some people allowed to exist.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:43 PM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unseen View Post

worth it?
I would say yes, without question, but it's very slow paced. If that's not you're kind of movie, avoid it.

The Hurt Locker was incredible. Some jaw-dropping set pieces and some classic-in-the-making action scenes. Passes Apocalypse Now as the second best war movie ever made (still a distant second to the untouchable Saving Private Ryan). Renner was worthy of a Globe nomination (I'm guessing Morgan Freeman was the undeserving one to snub him, but I haven't seen it yet so I can't say he was snubbed).
Quote:
Quote:
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Quote:
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:45 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm sure foreign movies aren't for everyone, and I won't hate on people for staying away from them because they don't want to read.. but you are missing some really, really good movies.

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:48 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
If I took the rep bar as seriously as you do, I might care. Only two neg reps? May I have another? Once you're done, you can give me another. Then another if you'd like. Go crazy. Go apeshit. I don't give a ****.

Salvation was better than the first. Not the second. Just to clarify, but that's simply a matter of opinion. There's something else to neg rep me for (once again... just for the **** of it. It's been a while.). Have fun with this post because I'm not done.

As far as the subtitles detracting from the actors/acting... well, I take it you have a problem with foreign film comprehension since you can't comprehend something in black & white right there on your computer screen, and this is without that mumbo jumbo language in the background when you're watching a movie in a language you can't begin to comprehend, but maybe you have something in the background distracting you? Such as some x-rated material? I've taken a ganders through the hot chick thread and I seen that you're very active you bad boy. I don't know. Anyway, you should read it again. I pretty much explain the issue right in that post.

I think you're the worst, but I don't cry about it every time you attempt to force feed stupid opinions about worthless subjects. "Ryans Reynolds FTW!!!!"

No, he's no FTW, whatever that means, but his next movie... I heard he's in a ******* casket for the entire thing, which is fitting since that's where his career has been.

"APS: Star Trek rules!!!
BB: No it doesn't.
APS: You're full of EPIC FAIL. Neg rep!!!!! Now, I'm going to spank it to some girl on youtube that isn't even that hot. Matter of fact, she's like 15."

That's what I read every time you try to talk to me.
I have no problems with subtitles. What I do have a problem with is so much idiocy in one post. Lets have a look, shall we?

Quote:
I get what Dreadlocks is saying... to an extent. I think he's just going overboard with it. The trailer was misleading. By the time the movie ended, who didn't think, "There wasn't much of the basterds?" The trailer makes you believe it's all about them, and maybe the title as well... I don't know, I'm just sayin,' but I know I was disappointed with how little screen time Pitt had. I can see how that would ruin a movie for someone. You go in expecting one thing and getting something completely different? Who would want to go into a movie expecting The Hurt Locker and then getting Lions for Lambs? You think you're gonna be disappointed? You think you might come on a forum such as this and vent that disappointment?

I hate subtitles in movies and can't stand them, especially movies which are overwritten with dialogue (the whole 25 minute conversation outside the theater served no purpose to the movie... QT was basically boasting about his film knowledge... that no one cared to hear about during the middle of one of his movies). Does anyone watch foreign movies here on a regular basis? Since no one hardly ever brings them up, I'm go to answer with a no (that is, if the forum doesn't mind me speaking for them, but if someone does... too ******* bad). I'm big on acting and I like to watch the nuances of a performance (the whole point of great acting). I don't like reading the lines at the bottom of the screen while missing the delivery of the lines. It makes the acting worthless and greatly detracts from the impact of the characters and the overall importance of the story.

With that said, I thought, as I stated in this thread when the movie hit theaters, Inglorious Basterds was phenomenal. One of the best of the year and one of Tarantino's best.

I don't even understand the backlash to his post. People don't like subtitles. It's a matter of taste and has nothing to do with Michael Bay movies or the intellectual capacity of the viewer. He stated more than enough reasons why the movie turned him off. Really no need to bash him (I'm sure APS negative rep'd you since you have difference of opinion, but that child is a tool and he probably used that reassuring internet lingo in doing so, i.e. "EPIC FAIL").
What does the bold say? Come on, you can do it...Thats right! You got it! IT SAYS YOU ARE A ******* MORON! You contradict yourself in your last 2 posts you ******* tool. Unlike you, whose mind is clearly incapable of reading a single line of dialogue while simultaneously watching the person saying, I can actually watch the film and not feel that reading detracts from the performance of the actor onscreen. And while I am certainly not the most liked person on this board, I think its well known that your posts are not only universally despised, but in fact dreaded. You do usually manage to one-up your own douchebaggery in each subsequent post though, so congratulations on accomplishing something with your meaningless existence.

Also, are you trying to flirt with me or something? What does ANYTHING Ive posted in the Hot Chick Thread have to do with whats posted in this thread? Fact of the matter is, you have terrible taste, and attempting vainly to attack my taste in women won't change that.

Finally, while Im sure the image of me spanking it to a 15 year old turns you on, I think its best you refrain from mentioning it to me, as it is rather disconcerting.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand **** you. I feel better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:50 PM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
I'm sorry, but if you are watching a movie with foreign cultures or are set in other countries, and you expect them all to speak English in order to appease you, then you're an idiot.
I'm not reading the rest of your post. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote me where I said I expect Spanish people to be talking in English to appease me. Read what I wrote.

Funny that you guys are talking about subtitles and you can't even comprehend these posts.

Quote a post and respond to that. Don't go off on some tangent that has not been discussed. You're getting confused and very upset over nothing.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-21-2010, 08:58 PM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

Quote:
I have no problems with subtitles. What I do have a problem with is so much idiocy in one post. Lets have a look, shall we?

What does the bold say? Come on, you can do it...Thats right! You got it! IT SAYS YOU ARE A ******* MORON! You contradict yourself in your last 2 posts you ******* tool. Unlike you, whose mind is clearly incapable of reading a single line of dialogue while simultaneously watching the person saying, I can actually watch the film and not feel that reading detracts from the performance of the actor onscreen. And while I am certainly not the most liked person on this board, I think its well known that your posts are not only universally despised, but in fact dreaded. You do usually manage to one-up your own douchebaggery in each subsequent post though, so congratulations on accomplishing something with your meaningless existence.

Also, are you trying to flirt with me or something? What does ANYTHING Ive posted in the Hot Chick Thread have to do with whats posted in this thread? Fact of the matter is, you have terrible taste, and attempting vainly to attack my taste in women won't change that.

Finally, while Im sure the image of me spanking it to a 15 year old turns you on, I think its best you refrain from mentioning it to me, as it is rather disconcerting.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand **** you. I feel better.
I contradicted myself by telling you to go back and read what I said? You asked how it detracts and told you how it detracts in the first post. Did you want me to copy and paste the same thing from the previous post I just made? If you keep bolding that sentence, you can see where I said it greatly detracts from the characters and impact of the story...

I never made a comment to contradict anything lol, or is it, LULZ?

It's my opinion, and I know you have issues with opinions that don't reflect your own. You can read something at the bottom of the screen and watch the acting at the same time... that's impressive, which is probably why it doesn't bother you.

Look at me, I have no problem with that.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by BigBanger : 01-21-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:01 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I hate subtitles in movies and can't stand them, especially movies which are overwritten with dialogue (the whole 25 minute conversation outside the theater served no purpose to the movie... QT was basically boasting about his film knowledge... that no one cared to hear about during the middle of one of his movies).

I don't like reading the lines at the bottom of the screen while missing the delivery of the lines. It makes the acting worthless and greatly detracts from the impact of the characters and the overall importance of the story.
You honestly can't read and watch what's on screen like 6 inches above it?

And again, if you think the subtitles ruins the delivery, LEARN THE LANGUAGE IT'S IN. Just because it's in a different language doesn't mean the delivery is ruined. It just means that you can't be bothered to appreciate anything in a language other than English.

Before you come back with "I never said that," you clearly said that subtitles make the acting worthless and takes away from the character. For someone self proclaiming himself as a giant fan and aficionado of acting, you really help yourself out there when you say that because lines are in a different language and I can't understand it then the acting is ruined.

Also, please don't tell me the scene "outside the theater" isn't the scene where they are waiting in the entrance and the actress has to pass off the 3 guys as Italian. Because if it is, you completely missed the point if you thought it was pointless.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 01-21-2010, 09:01 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It doesnt detract from the acting, it just means you arent intelligent enough to read a single line of dialogue and the acting on screen at the same time.

Stop posting immediately, you are a terror to us all.
Quote:
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:05 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
It doesnt detract from the acting, it just means you arent intelligent enough to read a single line of dialogue and the acting on screen at the same time.

Stop posting immediately, you are a terror to us all.
I still don't understand how any scene in a language other than English ruins the scene/acting?

Please, BB or anyone else, explain to me how a scene in a different language ruins the language. Unless you are saying that the little words physically written across the bottom ruin a scene, I'd really like to know the reasoning behind this.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 01-21-2010, 09:05 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After a little while of reading subtitles, you hardly notice that you're reading them.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:09 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I still don't understand how any scene in a language other than English ruins the scene/acting?

Please, BB or anyone else, explain to me how a scene in a different language ruins the language. Unless you are saying that the little words physically written across the bottom ruin a scene, I'd really like to know the reasoning behind this.
He never makes any sense, and his awful taste is an insult to the movie industry. Just try to ignore him.

A scene in another language doesn't detract from the acting at all. Expressions, emotions, and talent are universal. A badly delivered line is still badly delivered whether it is in English, French, Italian, German, or any other language. Good acting is good acting, regardless of language. Hes literally too stupid to focus on two things at once.
Quote:
Old 01-21-2010, 09:09 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Speaking of foreign movies, Lives of Others is awesome. And Iowa, I don't appreciate you ignoring my offer.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:11 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Speaking of foreign movies, Lives of Others is awesome. And Iowa, I don't appreciate you ignoring my offer.
dammit Brochure, I've been meaning to buy that and not watch it.. Now you've brought it up and if I buy it, people will think I'm buying it just because you said it's awesome.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:11 PM    (permalink
Todd Bertuzzi
All-Pro

Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If subtitles makes a movie unwatchable then why is it I enjoyed City of God so much?
Old 01-21-2010, 09:12 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
I got caught up in playing MW2/this argument. :(

I'll go with you on one condition...you stab out my ear drums so I don't have to listen to Channing Tatum try to act. Oh, also, if you kill me afterwards.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 01-21-2010, 09:18 PM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

Quote:
You honestly can't read and watch what's on screen like 6 inches above it?

And again, if you think the subtitles ruins the delivery, LEARN THE LANGUAGE IT'S IN. Just because it's in a different language doesn't mean the delivery is ruined. It just means that you can't be bothered to appreciate anything in a language other than English.

Before you come back with "I never said that," you clearly said that subtitles make the acting worthless and takes away from the character. For someone self proclaiming himself as a giant fan and aficionado of acting, you really help yourself out there when you say that because lines are in a different language and I can't understand it then the acting is ruined.

Also, please don't tell me the scene "outside the theater" isn't the scene where they are waiting in the entrance and the actress has to pass off the 3 guys as Italian. Because if it is, you completely missed the point if you thought it was pointless.
I don't have time to learn languages. I have a job, girlfriend, a life, **** like that. Movies are a hobby. That's it. I don't have to do a ******* thing. I just don't watch them (foreign). Don't know if you haven't picked up on that yet. Do you know 184 languages? Did you watch that supposedly good movie made in Iraq last year? You better learn the ******* language and watch that ****, because it's amazing. You're being ridiculous and you know it.

The second paragraph is something I said. I watch the faces of the characters for the emotion of the scene. Jeremy Renner gives a great performance in The Hurt Locker, not because his character is incredibly complex or driven by dialogue, he's pretty much described in the opening quote, but it's the look on his face when he's standing in front of an Iraqi, pointing a gun at him and telling him to back up his car. The lines are said very calmly, but the way he waits... pauses... tells him to back up, "You wanna back up" (to a guy that probably doesn't speak the language and should learn English not just for understanding troops, but also for understanding American film)... then he moves closer... tells him again... sticks the gun in the car... tells him again... puts the gun to his head... tells him again.

That is a great scene and his cockiness is portrayed in that scene perfectly. There's multiple scenes like that. The one where he tries to get the locks off the guy with bombs strapped to him. That exposes his humanity, the look in his eyes... he almost has more compassion for the lives of others, some Iraqi terrorist, than he does himself.

With subtitles, you could get away with it in that scene I described, since its short and sweet and the direction is so perfect, but when you got people going back for and worth in a tense situation, yelling and screaming at each other, or just shooting the ****, then I spend more time reading, then paying attention to the actors. Call me stupid for not being able to read and watch the actors, I could care less, it's the opinion of thousands of people (some for different reasons... like being too lazy to read).

I'm not talking about that scene in IB. The one where they're talking about German cinema or some worthless ****.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by BigBanger : 01-21-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:19 PM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Bertuzzi View Post
If subtitles makes a movie unwatchable then why is it I enjoyed City of God so much?
Great post.

I'll tell you why you like it: Because everyone else did.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-21-2010, 09:23 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Again, I just want to know how a scene in a different language ruins the acting. You said subtitles ruin the acting. How is it any different than if you say understand what is being said in whatever language it is? Because YOU have to read does not mean the acting sucks. It could be incredible acting, but because you don't understand the words and have to read what's being said makes the acting worse somehow?

I just don't understand how subtitles make the acting worse, when if you understand the language it is in then it would make absolutely no difference.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 01-21-2010, 09:23 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Great post.

I'll tell you why you like it: Because everyone else did.
What the hell is that supposed to mean?

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:25 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
What the hell is that supposed to mean?
That he only liked the movie because other people did, not because he actually liked it.

Only BigBanger actually likes movies for what they are.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 01-21-2010, 09:25 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I don't have time to learn languages. I have a job, girlfriend, a life, **** like that. Movies are a hobby. That's it. I don't have to do a ******* thing. I just don't watch them (foreign). Don't know if you haven't picked up on that yet. Do you know 184 languages? Did you watch that supposedly good movie made in Iraq last year? You better learn the ******* language and watch that ****, because it's amazing. You're being ridiculous and you know it.

The second paragraph is something I said. I watch the faces of the characters for the emotion of the scene. Jeremy Renner gives a great performance in The Hurt Locker, not because his character is incredibly complex or driven by dialogue, he's pretty much described in the opening quote, but it's the look on his face when he's standing in front of an Iraqi, pointing a gun at him and telling him to back up his car. The lines are said very calmly, but the way he waits... pauses... tells him to back up, "You wanna back up" (to a guy that probably doesn't speak the language and should learn English not just for understanding troops, but also for understanding American film)... then he moves closer... tells him again... sticks the gun in the car... tells him again... puts the gun to his head... tells him again.

That is a great scene and his cockiness is portrayed in that scene perfectly. There's multiple scenes like that. The one where he tries to the locks off the guy with bombs strapped to him. That exposes his humanity, the look in his eyes... he almost has more compassion for the lives of others, some Iraqi terrorist, than he does himself.

With subtitles, you could get away with it in that scene I described, since it's short and sweet and the direction is so perfect, but when you got people going back for and worth in a tense situation, yelling and screaming at each other, or just shooting the ****, then I spend more time reading, then paying attention to the actors. Call me stupid for not being able to read and watch the actors, I could care less, it's the opinion of thousands of people (some for different reasons... like being too lazy to read).

I'm not talking about that scene in IB. The one where they're talking about German cinema or some worthless ****.
Ummm this might make sense, if he was the one who said he couldn't watch movies with subtitles...but since, ya know, he isn't a functioning ****** and can watch two things at once, why would he need to learn 184 languages? Nice try though. You are the one being ridiculous. Brushing off a movie because you are too lazy to read subtitles is ill advised and naive. One can only hope you dont approach everything in your life with that amount of effort.

Also, who in their right mind would date someone as abrasive as you?
Quote:
Old 01-21-2010, 09:27 PM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

I'm gonna brag about seeing Eros now, which is 2/3 foreign... and in three different languages!!!!!! OMG!!! And I liked it!!! Wow!!!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: