Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 02-13-2010, 12:03 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Iron Giant and Toy Story are better.
Quote:
South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut
Yeah, add The Simpsons Movie too. All those >>>>>>>> than IG or TS.

Or any of the classic cartoons from Spike & Mike's Sick & Twisted cartoon collections, like the original South Park made from paper cutouts that got it's start there, or the 5-second Bambi Meets Godzilla.

Or those classic "alternative" cartoon films from the 70s, like Yellow Submarine, The Point (music & lyrics by the late great Harry Nillsson), Wizards the LotR 1st film iteration by Ralph Bakshi, Mr. Bill series of stop-motion/claymation from SNL that gave us Chicken Run, etc.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:07 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes2053 View Post
Without a doubt. Viggo is legit in pretty much everything he does. HoV was ******* awesome.
Viggo Mortensen is the Man! His LotR lead role boosted him up to the A-list, he kicked ass in HoV, literally & figuratively. Anybody remember The Prophecy with Christopher Walken about apocalypse & warring angels? Viggo played Lucifer in a smaller role but blew all the other killer angels off the screen.....
Old 02-13-2010, 01:18 PM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
Who doesn't like American History X? :)
I was so pissed after I bought AHX from BuyBacks only to find that the tape inside of the VHS was ripped. Such a letdown seeing as it's such an awesome movie. Edward Norton is such a boss.

worker bees can leave
even drones can fly away
the queen is their slave

themaninblack
hobbes2053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I'm not talking about the money. I'm talking about a movie that should have won over a weaker movie. Looking back on it I think most would agree it was a bad decision.
Worst decisions:

Annie Hall over Star Wars
Forrest Gump over Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption

Quote:
I think after the luster wears off on Avatar people are going to look back and wonder why that won Best Picture if it actually happens. The Avatar hype machine is just too crazy right now.
The luster is already gone for me. If they wouldn't have nominated so many films, which is a horrible idea by the way, I don't think it deserved a nomination.

Avatar is the film equivalent of a ride at Universal Studios; you enjoy Jurassic Park: The Ride or Jaws: The Ride for the "experience," and you obviously wouldn't complain about the story or actors. The same could be said of Avatar. If it wins then that sends an awful message; you can make two billion dollars, win all the awards with a movie that features 3D visuals and 1D story and acting.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:24 PM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Avatar wins "Best Picture," I won't ever watch the Oscars again. There are much better and more deserving films instead of the one that "rakes in all the cash." Just because tons of people see a movie does not make it the best of the year, by any means.

worker bees can leave
even drones can fly away
the queen is their slave

themaninblack
Old 02-13-2010, 01:28 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Technically, its impossible for the best movie to win. (500) Days of Summer and Moon weren't even nominated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:30 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope they give it to Quentin Tarantino.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:33 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Avatar is a one time experience in my opinion. I've seen in twice and it wasn't nearly as good the second time as it was the first. The impressive visuals blow you away the first time you see it and then upon further viewings you notice how average the movie as a whole really is.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:34 PM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
Technically, its impossible for the best movie to win. (500) Days of Summer and Moon weren't even nominated.
Agreed. I just really don't want Avatar to win.

worker bees can leave
even drones can fly away
the queen is their slave

themaninblack
Old 02-13-2010, 01:38 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
Avatar is a one time experience in my opinion. I've seen in twice and it wasn't nearly as good the second time as it was the first. The impressive visuals blow you away the first time you see it and then upon further viewings you notice how average the movie as a whole really is.

The second time I watched it, the wow factor wore off and I was amazed at how long the film feels. Length, in and of itself, does not bother me but it does annoy me when the ending was telegraphed from the very beginning of the film, completely lacking dramatic tension, and still I had to wait for the big showdown for two hours.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Worst decisions:

Annie Hall over Star Wars
Forrest Gump over Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption

I disagree that picking Annie Hall over Star Wars was the wrong decision. It had great acting, an unbelievable screenplay, not to mention the influence it had.

However I agree that both Shawshank and Pulp Fiction were more deserving than Forrest Gump
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:49 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Annie Hall is amazing.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:55 PM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

I've never seen Forrest Gump beginning to end. I've seen the whole movie, but always in bits here and there. I've never been too impressed with it the way I was with both Shawshank and Pulp.

worker bees can leave
even drones can fly away
the queen is their slave

themaninblack
Old 02-13-2010, 02:05 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haha, the Avatar backlash is ridiculous now. Its amazing how up and down the opinion on this movie has been... from the same people, mind you. One day its amazing, the next day its severely overrated "based on further examination"

And the story. Who cares if its not Memento? You know why Star Wars is awesome? Its certainly not because of the brilliant screenplay. Simple stories are the best stories most of the time. Up in the Air was a simple story. An Education was a simple story. 99% of every rom com in history has the same exact story. So on and so forth. Besides, its not like anyone has nominated it for best screenplay. Most movies that come out now could be singled out and ripped apart for not being original if people wanted to do it.

Also, for what its worth, I dont think there was ANYTHING wrong with the acting in Avatar. I think people are just jumping on that for the sake of jumping on something about it.

People just start hating things because they get tired of hearing about it. Thats why Twilight is so hated; when most people havent bothered to actually read the book or see the movie (granted, neither are good, but the point still stands - 80% of the people who wish death upon Robert Pattinson have no real basis for it other than being annoyed by its popularity and success)

Quote:
If Avatar wins "Best Picture," I won't ever watch the Oscars again. There are much better and more deserving films instead of the one that "rakes in all the cash." Just because tons of people see a movie does not make it the best of the year, by any means.
You DO realize how ridiculous of a statement that is, right? Every single year, all people ***** about is the Academy rewarding small grossing Oscar Bait films over box office successes, no matter the quality. Now the opinions are suddenly reversed, and theyre only rewarding it becuase its popular?

comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:15 PM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

Just to clarify, I haven't seen Avatar nor do I have any real desire to. I just thinks it's ridiculous that since Cameron spent an ass-load of money on the movie that it somehow deserves an award. Give it the effects and wardrobe awards. But best picture? No ******* way.

And as for the simple story point, most movies don't have terribly complicated plots. And that's not my problem with Avatar, although it is a deterrent for me. I don't like the fact that people got all googly over it because of the effects and all the money that was put into it. My two roommates are prime examples of people who go for that kind of stuff, so you can see where my bitterness originates.

worker bees can leave
even drones can fly away
the queen is their slave

themaninblack
Old 02-13-2010, 02:29 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pirates 3, Superman Returns, and Spider Man 3 spent assloads of money too. They didnt win oscars though. Why? Because they werent great movies.

I wont even start on the whole forming a harsh opinion on something without bothering to actually watch it first, though.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:36 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comahan View Post
Haha, the Avatar backlash is ridiculous now. Its amazing how up and down the opinion on this movie has been... from the same people, mind you. One day its amazing, the next day its severely overrated "based on further examination"
For the record, Unseen and I both said how unimpressed we were with the movie beyond the visuals after seeing it for the first time.

And on the whole popularity-warranting-oscars-thing: if they wanted to give a movie that made a ton of money Best Picture, they would have nominated TDK last year.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:45 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

Yea, im not singling anyone out, I dont remember anyones opinions on it from this board. I just mean widespread opinion atm seems to be that its 'not that good, really' after being touted as amazing for a month.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:47 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When people first see it, it's amazing, and then after a few weeks it becomes "cool" to not like it so opinions change.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:50 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
Exactly. If there was a "Best Experience" award, hell yes give it to Avatar. But best movie, best story, best plot, best acting? No way.

Whistler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Just to clarify, I haven't seen Avatar nor do I have any real desire to. I just thinks it's ridiculous that since Cameron spent an ass-load of money on the movie that it somehow deserves an award. Give it the effects and wardrobe awards. But best picture? No ******* way.

And as for the simple story point, most movies don't have terribly complicated plots. And that's not my problem with Avatar, although it is a deterrent for me. I don't like the fact that people got all googly over it because of the effects and all the money that was put into it. My two roommates are prime examples of people who go for that kind of stuff, so you can see where my bitterness originates.
That could be a good New Year's resolution for you. I refuse to see or read any Twilight...That craze is enough to make me threaten physical violence on certain people.

Whistler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I just mean widespread opinion atm seems to be that its 'not that good, really' after being touted as amazing for a month.
I think what allowed me to get over the visuals pretty quickly was the sheer length of the movie. After about 100-110 minutes, I was starting to get a "this is never going to ******* end" attitude and started to watch with an overly-critical eye.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

It wasn't after a month that people started to rethink Avatar. For me it was the 2nd time I saw it, that very weekend it came out, that I realized that once the shiny new car in the dealership parking lot was really a lemon.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:08 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

Because im sure your personal experience speaks for everyone

for the record, people need to not worry, Hurt Locker is gonna win Best Pic

Old 02-13-2010, 03:21 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

Quote:
for the record, people need to not worry, Hurt Locker is gonna win Best Pic
No, tragically it won't.

Avatar will, b/c Cameron's reputation as a big box office director precedes him everywhere, just as it did with Titanic the biggest grossing film of them all. And BTW I refuse to watch it largely for that reason, too sappy too. Why? See the earlier posts & dialog about Danny Boyle & that big musical dog Slumdog Millionaire last yr.

Hopefully they let Avatar win best picture & stick it to Cameron on Best Director, Kathryn Bigelow should win it for Hurt Locker. If you saw it, or her earlier 1987 low budget vampire film Near Dark, you know she's a storytelling as well as cinematic genius & deserves it.

Failing Bigelow, give it to Torture Porn Tarantino.