Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 02-13-2010, 02:23 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Theres pretty much 0% chance that Bigelow doesnt win best director, so youre pretty covered there

To me, there are several locks this year. Waltz for Supp Actor, Mo'Nique for Supp Actress, Bridges for Actor, Bigelow for Director, Avatar for Visuals, Up in the Air for Adapted Screenplay, Up for Animated Feature, Up for Score, Crazy Heart for Song, and Hurt Locker for Best Pic.

Id honestly be shocked if any of those didnt happen.

Video Games - Anime - Comics - Cosplay - etc

A site dedicated to giving support and exposure to female
geeks and gamers, while also providing a community for
people of all genders to hang out and discuss their
favorite nerd past-times without needing to worry about or
deal with the prejudice and mistreatment that's so common online.

Last edited by comahan : 02-13-2010 at 02:32 PM.
comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:44 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought about starting an Oscars (Deserved & Undeserved) discussion thread but we might as well ride that horse til it drops right here.....

Quote:
An Academy Award lock: Bridges for Actor
That the Oscar postponed that he should've won for Big Lebowski, the film that defined his career. He said in his RS interview that peole still came up to him on the street saying "Abide, Dude" 10 yrs later after that. Oscars are often a couple of yrs (or a decade) late. And he has the show biz pedigree, the late great Lloyd Bridges son. I have to say I've never seen a Jeff Bridges film I hated, he was good even in Starman -- if your a big Bridges fan chk. out The Fabulous Baker Bros, highly recommended. There's a great dialog in there between the brothers:

Jack Baker [Touches his brother's head] What's that on your head? What did you do to your bald spot?
Frank Baker: It's not a bald spot... but it's getting bigger, so I sprayed it.
Jack Baker [looks at black spot on his hand] That's not hair spray, that's black paint! You painted your head!
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Job
Pro Bowler

Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
big musical dog Slumdog Millionaire last yr.
?

(10char)
Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comahan View Post
Theres pretty much 0% chance that Bigelow doesnt win best director, so youre pretty covered there

To me, there are several locks this year. Waltz for Supp Actor, Mo'Nique for Supp Actress, Bridges for Actor, Bigelow for Director, Avatar for Visuals, Up in the Air for Adapted Screenplay, Up for Animated Feature, Up for Score, Crazy Heart for Song, and Hurt Locker for Best Pic.

Id honestly be shocked if any of those didnt happen.
Hurt Locker nor Bigelow are locks.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:30 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Hurt Locker is about 70/30 to win, and Bigelow is about 80/20, so while maybe no LOCKS, the point stands that id be very surprised if they didnt win

Old 02-13-2010, 03:39 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be happier if Tarantino and Inglorious Basterds pulled off 2 sexy upsets.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 02-13-2010, 03:41 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

Haha, so would I

Old 02-13-2010, 03:43 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im with Commie, the Avatar hate is ridiculous. Its cool to go against the grain, man...Jesus, I've been called an elitist or film snob or something along those lines more then anyone on this board, and I was still able to look past the trivial plot and somewhat cliched writing to see not only how revolutionary those effects were, but the influence its had. Do you have any idea how many reboots or new movies and **** are being tooled as 3D because of Avatar's success? People are bitching now about the same things they always ***** about when a movie seems destined to win an award. Personally, I thought Avatar didn't hold a candle to something like (500) Days of Summer as a film, but I'll have no qualms with it winning Best Pic due to the influence its had on effects and the indisputable fact that it is now the highest grossing picture of all time, so clearly it has some appeal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:44 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by comahan View Post
Haha, so would I
Or even better, THE BLIND SIDE.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 02-13-2010, 03:47 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

You lost me there

Old 02-13-2010, 04:11 PM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's get this back to great movies... ill present two that were more visually stunning than Avatar without having to spend 1 billion dollars (or a million).

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:37 PM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
Technically, its impossible for the best movie to win. (500) Days of Summer and Moon weren't even nominated.
Those are my top 2 movies as well. Maybe not in that exact order, but regardless, I think you and I might have some kind of special connection based on my amazing taste in movies.

Anyway, watched a movie I thought had a lot of potential, but flamed out into a traditional, run-of-the-mill, corny romance movie.

The first 2/3 of Loves Happens is a great movie centered around a deeply complex character played by Aaron Eckhart (which slowly unveils how fake and two-faced as well as emotionally paralyzed he is). Eckhart is perfect for this role and I think he was really terrific (I think he's overrated and have not seen one movie I thought he was any good in), but the character arc and the overall ending of the film was sentimental garbage. It's a dark character study forced into a romance with a happy ending. It is a very dark and emotionally driven film (which was surprising). Eckhart is an author turned self-help guru for people who are trying to overcome the loss of loved ones, he knows how to accomplish (getting over the death of a son, father, wife, husband, daughter, ect.) this from his experience of losing his wife to car accident. Eckhart is a great talker (See Thank You for Smoking) and he has that similar character where he's on stage talking to people. He kicks the **** out of this role. The character simply flames out into cliched ****.

John Carroll Lynch, best known for the quite husband to Marge Gunderson in Fargo, gives an exceptional performance of a father so stricken with guilt of the death of his son that his life and everything around him has fallen to pieces. Loss of his job, loss of his wife. Loses everything. It's a little much, but the movie is so dark for so long, I got the feeling (or hope) that this wouldn't turn into the same romance movie I've seen a thousand times. Then I looked at the cover and knew the inevitable was going to happen. Aniston, who has a minor part, would take him back for all his flaws.

Five Easy Pieces is on TV right now and it's a shame movies aren't made like this today (Not that the state of movies is in as bad a shape as some may lead you to believe). Movies with this kind of bravado to end the movie with a character that doesn't make the right decision, or the easy one or that one that serves a happy ending. Love Happens could have been that kind of movie. Just once I would like to see a movie with a lying piece of **** continue to be a lying piece of ****. To not see him get the girl. To not see him make an amends with his step-father and to not see the teary eyed ending. Love Happens could have been original and unique and refreshing. Instead, it's the same old, same old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:45 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Love for Moon and the great John Carroll Lynch.

Now that is a quality post.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:48 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Icon

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

500 Days of Summer and Moon are not even close to being the best films of the year...

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:48 PM    (permalink
RoyHall#1
Pro Bowler

RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Damned United was fantastic, see it now.
RoyHall#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:54 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyHall#1 View Post
The Damned United was fantastic, see it now.
Yes! Im a big fan of that movie as well.

How great were Sheen and Spall? Sheen is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors with fantastic performance after fantastic performance.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:09 PM    (permalink
RoyHall#1
Pro Bowler

RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, Sheen's acting really made the movie for me. So many things constantly going on with his facial expressions, you can't take your eyes off him for a second.
RoyHall#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:18 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I definitely just watched a movie called "Barack Obama and the Hidden Cabal Behind the Plot to Murder America" and turned it into a drinking game only to make myself so drunk that typing this is ckilling me.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:46 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Avatar wins best picture they should have just nominated Transformers 2 for gods sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:54 AM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
500 Days of Summer and Moon are not even close to being the best films of the year...
Granted I haven't seen all the movies nominated this year but 500 Days of Summer and Moon were fantastic and should've been nominated.

Two of the best movies I've seen in a long while.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:54 AM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
If Avatar wins best picture they should have just nominated Transformers 2 for gods sake.
Thank you. My thoughts exactly.

worker bees can leave
even drones can fly away
the queen is their slave

themaninblack
hobbes2053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:04 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So I don't want this to turn into a political discussion but I finally got to watch I.O.U.S.A recently and thought I should recommend it. Excellent doc if anyone is interested about our financial crisis/government finance. David Walker, the former Comptroller General, plays a big part in it.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:09 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes2053 View Post
Thank you. My thoughts exactly.
Avatar was visually incredible and a fun 2 1/2 hours, but it left me wanting more. The dialog made me cringe though and the acting was sub-par (on the human side).

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:53 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
This is one of the stupidest things posted in this thread, and trust me, there has been some pretty dumb **** in here. The difference between Transformers 2 and Avatar is astronomical. You could drive a ******* truck through the plot holes in Transformers, and as cliched as some of the dialogue in Avatar was, it had nothing on the "dialogue", and yes, I use the term loosely there, that was in Transformers. Both visual effects spectacles? You bet. Remotely close on the movie scale? Absolutely not. Avatar was, for all intents and purposes, a good film, even if you dont think its worthy of Best Picture. Transformers 2 was an abomination and Michael Bay is actually becoming a worse filmmaker as he goes on...something very very rare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:36 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Moreover, it's not like the visual effects were even close to the same. Transformers 2's action scenes were over crowded, noisy, and featured exploding objects for no particular reason. Avatar's visual effects crafted a world that mostly succeeded at being stunningly beautiful and put as much effort into the effects being a method of immersing you in the story as it did towards having the effects deliver the final conflict.