Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 12-28-2006, 01:49 PM    (permalink
BleedEaglesGreen218

I'm a huge baseball fan and in light of this year's upcoming hall of fame vote, I just thought it'd be interesting to debate who, out of the active players in the league, everyone thinks will eventually be inducted into Cooperstown. So I was thinking we'd have someone post a name of a current player and then the next poster decides "in" or "out" and then follows it up with of name of their own.

Ok I'll start it off: Curt Schilling

IP: 3110 Wins: 207 Losses: 138 SO: 3015 ERA: 3.44
Old 12-28-2006, 01:51 PM    (permalink

I love Schilling, he's my favorite player in the the league right now, and I think he is in. I think he bumped himself in with the bloody sock.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:53 PM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsalltheway
I love Schilling, he's my favorite player in the the league right now, and I think he is in. I think he bumped himself in with the bloody sock.
Yeah, that memorable performance will make it hard to keep him out.

DHVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How about Mike Mussina. Look at his numbers. I think he is in if he can play close to what he did last year these next two years. A World Series might lock it.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:01 PM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What about good 'ol Chipper Jones?

357 HRs, 1197 RBIs, 1944 Hits, and a .304 career BA.

DHVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:02 PM    (permalink
BleedEaglesGreen218

Ok then so far Schilling "In" (I don't know I'm torn on him but moving on)

Next

Mussina "in" or "out" then post a new player after you decide
Old 12-28-2006, 02:04 PM    (permalink
TH3
Veteran

TH3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TH3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Chipper out right now with a few more seasons in....Jeff Bagwell??
TH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:06 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedEaglesGreen218

Next

Well Schilling is in with IP: 3110 Wins: 207 Losses: 138 SO: 3015 ERA: 3.44.

Mussina is IP: 3210.1 Wins: 239 Losses: 134 SO: 2572 ERA: 3.63 and Whip: 1.18. Did it all in the AL too. I think he needs a WS win and he is in.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:11 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont think Mussina ever got a 20 win season.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:12 PM    (permalink
BleedEaglesGreen218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10
Quote:

Next

Mussina is IP: 3210.1 Wins: 239 Losses: 134 SO: 2572 ERA: 3.63 and Whip: 1.18. Did it all in the AL too. I think he needs a WS win and he is in.
Truthfully, I don't think either of them have the numbers or awards for that matter, no Cy Youngs between them, but Schilling does have 2001 World Series MVP and 1993 NLCS MVP. Its a push with Schilling but I"m not too confident about Mussina.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Next

Truthfully, I don't think either of them have the numbers or awards for that matter, no Cy Youngs between them, but Schilling does have 2001 World Series MVP and 1993 NLCS MVP. Its a push with Schilling but I"m not too confident about Mussina.
I can understand that and the 20 win argument. Although Mike has gotten 19 a few times and 18 a few times as well. Its just rare you see pitcher spend his whole career in the AL and put up numbers like he has for so long. As far as the hardware, you are right he doesn't have any except for gold gloves. Thats why I think he needs the WS to get in.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:27 PM    (permalink
BleedEaglesGreen218

Bagwell "in", 4 time all-star, NL MVP 1994, ROY 1991, 1994 Gold Glove
BA: .297 HR: 449 RBI: 1529

Frank Thomas (DH)
Old 12-28-2006, 02:53 PM    (permalink
NickBam
Veteran

NickBam hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Bagwell "in", 4 time all-star, NL MVP 1994, ROY 1991, 1994 Gold Glove
BA: .297 HR: 449 RBI: 1529

Frank Thomas (DH)
The Big Hurt is in.

Craig Biggio.

Sig by gbpackers0065

Chicago Bears: NFC Champions
NickBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:57 PM    (permalink
alca1992
Veteran

alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
How about Mike Mussina. Look at his numbers. I think he is in if he can play close to what he did last year these next two years. A World Series might lock it.
im a red sox fan and even i think mussina deserves to go in.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:58 PM    (permalink
NickBam
Veteran

NickBam hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alca1992
Quote:
im a red sox fan and even i think mussina deserves to go in.
The Hall of Fame doors are becoming "too wide". Not everyone that had a good career should get in. The HOF should be for the elite.

Sig by gbpackers0065

Chicago Bears: NFC Champions
NickBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:15 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The problem with Mussina is he's never really been elite. Frank Thomas is certainly in the hall as is Bagwell. Biggio? Ehhh, I'd be on the fence with him.

Here's one: How about Griffey.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:42 PM    (permalink
alca1992
Veteran

alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
The problem with Mussina is he's never really been elite. Frank Thomas is certainly in the hall as is Bagwell. Biggio? Ehhh, I'd be on the fence with him.

is that a serious question?
Old 12-28-2006, 05:01 PM    (permalink
Tubby
Pro Bowler

Tubby is a cocksman.Tubby is a cocksman.Tubby is a cocksman.

It would be ignorant and stupid of hall of fame voters to not let McGwire in because of what he may or may not have done in the past.

Sig by rainbeaukid2
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodachu View Post
Everyone pwns the Rams.
Tubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:21 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur

I don't care how many injuries he has suffered lately, Junior has clinched his HOF plaque about 5-6 years ago.

He may have been the greatest player of his generation.

On other players mentioned:

Schilling - I think he has a good shot at it, but I don't think it's a sure thing.
Mussina - He has a shot at it, but if he may need another few good-to-excellent seasons.
Biggio - I think he's in. He might be the best 2b of his generation.
Bagwell - He should be in, but some writers might be idiotic enough not to vote for him.
Thomas - He is in. As big as he is I don't really think that he is under any 'roid cloud, as he has been a big guy throughout his career.

Other names to consider:

Mike Piazza
Ivan Rodriguez
Juan Gonzalez
Omar Visquel
Jim Thome
Tom Glavine
John Smoltz
Andy Pettite
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:23 PM    (permalink

Griffey is easily first ballot IMO. If only he had never gotten the injury bug, :shock: .
Old 12-28-2006, 05:51 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV
Other names to consider:
Mike Piazza IN
Ivan Rodriguez IN
Juan Gonzalez OUT
Omar Visquel OUT (but very very close)
Jim Thome Once he breaks 500 homeruns, IN
Tom Glavine IN
John Smoltz IN
Andy Pettite Will have to finish his career in NY very strongly, OUT at this point
Old 12-28-2006, 08:22 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd put Vizquel in, mainly because Ozzie Smith got in and Vizquel has been just as good of a defender as Ozzie, whilst being a better hitter and nearly as good a runner.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 12-28-2006, 09:26 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do you guys remember when there was absolutely NO DOUBT that Juan Gone would be a HOFer?

BTW, I forgot about Chipper, I think he has a shot at it, but only if he continues to produce for a few more seasons.

Also, regarding every player that is on that poll, if there was a "NONE" option I'd choose it.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:44 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV
Do you guys remember when there was absolutely NO DOUBT that Juan Gone would be a HOFer?

BTW, I forgot about Chipper, I think he has a shot at it, but only if he continues to produce for a few more seasons.

Also, regarding every player that is on that poll, if there was a "NONE" option I'd choose it.
I agree about the none option, but if I had to choose off that list, I'd choose Rafael Palmeiro. Mainly because he was more than a one dimensional player.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 12-28-2006, 10:31 PM    (permalink
Jonathan_VIlma
Pro Bowler

Jonathan_VIlma hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

This is why the MLB Hall of Fame is becoming way too easy to get in to.

Neither Mussina or Schilling are Hall of Famers. Schilling has had two dominating years, but other then that he's been eh. He doesn't have the career numbers.

Mussina's been pretty steady, but he was never dominant, he's always been middle of the pack.

The Hall of Fame is supposed to be for elite players, and I think the MLB will make a huge mistake if they continue to let in products of longitivity in, because they have been middle of the road for a while and thus compiled career numbers because they were fortunate to be healthy.

Designs by Thule
Jonathan_VIlma is offline   Reply With Quote