Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 10-07-2014, 08:01 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Early look ahead at the 2014/15 offseason and salary cap

At the quarter way through the 2014 season, we have some idea of how our team looks and what we may expect this season.

Currently we have 43 players under contract for 2015, totalling $111,981,250 and $4,181,859 in dead money.

The 2015 salary cap is expected to be $140m+, so we have slightly over $116 committed against the cap.

I expect we will largely be low key, mainly resigning our players off contract with some options

Here are my expected signings with some ballpark contracts (based off 2014 contract signings) to give an idea of I think we could expect for the 2014/15 offeason.  

This should give some idea of our options heading into free agency and our likely offseason needs.

Contract extensions 

QB Eli Manning: 6yr/$108m, $55m guaranteed (Tony Romo) - cap $11.773m  (+$7.977m)

CB Prince Amukamara: 5yr/$35m, 13.98 guaranteed (Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie) - cap $2.75m (+$5.375m)

Cuts

DE Mathias Kiwanuka: cap 2.625m (+4.825m)

This will mean we have around $42.2m to work with and 42 players under contract

Expected resignings

DE Jason Pierre-Paul: 5yr/$43.75m, $18m guaranteed (Michael Johnson) - cap $9m

SS Antrel Rolle: 4yr/$21m, $9.25m guaranteed (Antoine Bethea) - cap $3m

CB Walter Thurmond: 1yr/$3m, 3m guaranteed (2014 contract) - cap $3m

LB Jacquain Williams: 4yr/$15.75m, $4.75m guaranteed (Wesley Woodyard) - cap $2.5m

OG John Jerry: 2yr/2.63m, $300k guaranteed (Kevin Boothe) - cap $1.725m

LB Spencer Paysinger: 1yr/$1.431m (2014 contract) - cap $1.431m

FB Henry Hynoski: 1yr/$1m, $250k guaranteed (2014 contract) - cap $1m

FS Quintin Demps: 1yr/$1m, $100k guaranteed (2014 contract) - cap $1m

CB Zackary Bowman: 1yr/795k (2014 contract) - cap $635k

DT Mike Patterson: 1yr/$920k (2014 contract) - cap $635k

OL Adam Snyder: 1yr/$855k (2014 contract) - cap $570k

TE Larry Donnell (erfa): 1yr, $495k - cap $495k

TE Daniel Fells: 1yr/$730k (2014 contract) - cap $570k 

This gives around $16.5m in cap room to work with and 55 players under contract

Last edited by Big_Pete : 10-07-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:33 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is a positional breakdown to give an idea of the possible depth and needs heading into free agency and the draft.

QB: Manning, Nassib

RB: Jennings, Williams, Hillis

FB: Hynoski

WR: Cruz, Beckham, Randle, Parker, Washington, Harris, Talley

TE: Donnell, Fells, Robinson

OL: Beatty, Pugh, Schwartz, Richburg, Walton, Jerry, Mosley, Snyder, Reynolds, Kropog, Gaines

DT: Hankins, Jenkins, Patterson, Kuhn, Bromley

DE: Pierre-Paul, Ayers, Moore, Wynn

LB: Beason, Williams, McClain, Paysinger, Kennard, Fox 

CB: Rodgers-Cromartie, Amukamara, Thurmond, McBride, Bowman, Hosley, Howard

S: Rolle, Taylor, Berhe, Demps

P: Weatherford

K: Brown 

LS: DeOssie

Note: I realise Fox and Talley have since been released but this still gives an indication of depth

Old 10-15-2014, 02:37 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What's the FA OL crop look like? If we could snag another Schwartz but at OT that would let us focus our draft on adding a stud pass rusher and finally spending a day two pick on a LB and grabbing a safety for Rolle to mold as his successor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:34 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

There are a few guys I have my eye on

Michael Roos and Bryan Bulaga could be intetesting at RT (and move Pugh to LG)

Inside guys include Iupati and Wisniewski

the draft looks to be loaded at OL
Old 10-15-2014, 07:41 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Pro Bowler

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Roos is still in the NFL? Didn't he break a few seasons ago when the tits OL went to **** and CJ2K became CJ2.0YPC? And Bulaga would be a let down cause he's super mediocre, like iupati would be and jerry was.

Wis is a beast but he'd have to replace Walton or Richburg at C or LG, and not push Pugh inside to LG where I want him. Though an interior OL with wis, Schwartz and Richburg/Walton could dominate with Pugh and Beatty on the outside, the way our OL still beasted despite Diehl not getting to move back inside back in the day.

As for the draft I really want a first round pass rusher to play the left side for the rest of the decade so that ayers and Moore can fall into the #3 and 4 DEs in the rotation like the should be to thrive, and JPP can have a lot attention taken off of him. Also really want a day two linebacker on top of a FA like Weatherspoon and I'll be pleased. With a high upside safety and another offensive weapon also being pieces I'd like before the end of day two we'd already have one pick in the top 100 too few, even if we resolved OL in FA.

Though I do love me some wisniewski and could really get behind an OL built around Beatty - Wis/Rich - Wis/Walton/Rich - Schwartz - Pugh even if neither it is ideal. With that OL we'd be able to establish the run on anybody and give Eli time to hit ODB, Jernigan and whatever's left of Cruz when he gets back. Though ideally we'd have another high end weapon for the O to be really scary and not just effective and dangerous.

With a pass rusher, 1 FA like weatherspoon, 1 day two LB to replace McClain at SLB, and a toolsy safety somewhere along the way the d could be setting up to dominate.

Anyway I want FA and the first three rounds of the draft to give us one starting OL of Schwartz's caliber, a DE who can grow into the LE spot well enough to make JPP our 1b DE, a reclamation WILL to start over J-will and cover for Beason, and a SAM who can rush the passer and cover who'd replace McClain.

Next on the list would be a safety to play next to Rolle and be groomed to become our top S, and at least one offensive weapon so that the only explosiveness on our team doesn't come from ODB, Jernigan and a few plays where everyone forgets that Cruz is broken. But the two studs for the trenches and two useful LBs are much higher priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:39 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Roos was starting LT for the Titans this year and recently got hurt.

A couple more interesting RT options could be King Dunlap or Bryan Bulaga

I think Kennard may be able to replace McClain at SLB, if we bring pack Williams (and maybe Paysinger for depth) our LBs are solid. We have Beason at MLB and McClain for depth at SLB/MLB.

I would really like to see a LB early in the draft or bring back O'Brien Schofield (on a better deal), but I think it is more likely we look at day 3 LB options in the draft.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf (Rosebud) View Post
Roos is still in the NFL? Didn't he break a few seasons ago when the tits OL went to **** and CJ2K became CJ2.0YPC? And Bulaga would be a let down cause he's super mediocre, like iupati would be and jerry was.

Wis is a beast but he'd have to replace Walton or Richburg at C or LG, and not push Pugh inside to LG where I want him. Though an interior OL with wis, Schwartz and Richburg/Walton could dominate with Pugh and Beatty on the outside, the way our OL still beasted despite Diehl not getting to move back inside back in the day.

As for the draft I really want a first round pass rusher to play the left side for the rest of the decade so that ayers and Moore can fall into the #3 and 4 DEs in the rotation like the should be to thrive, and JPP can have a lot attention taken off of him. Also really want a day two linebacker on top of a FA like Weatherspoon and I'll be pleased. With a high upside safety and another offensive weapon also being pieces I'd like before the end of day two we'd already have one pick in the top 100 too few, even if we resolved OL in FA.

Though I do love me some wisniewski and could really get behind an OL built around Beatty - Wis/Rich - Wis/Walton/Rich - Schwartz - Pugh even if neither it is ideal. With that OL we'd be able to establish the run on anybody and give Eli time to hit ODB, Jernigan and whatever's left of Cruz when he gets back. Though ideally we'd have another high end weapon for the O to be really scary and not just effective and dangerous.

With a pass rusher, 1 FA like weatherspoon, 1 day two LB to replace McClain at SLB, and a toolsy safety somewhere along the way the d could be setting up to dominate.

Anyway I want FA and the first three rounds of the draft to give us one starting OL of Schwartz's caliber, a DE who can grow into the LE spot well enough to make JPP our 1b DE, a reclamation WILL to start over J-will and cover for Beason, and a SAM who can rush the passer and cover who'd replace McClain.

Next on the list would be a safety to play next to Rolle and be groomed to become our top S, and at least one offensive weapon so that the only explosiveness on our team doesn't come from ODB, Jernigan and a few plays where everyone forgets that Cruz is broken. But the two studs for the trenches and two useful LBs are much higher priority.
I do like your thinking with Wisniewski, he is a guy I do like. I don't mind the idea of Bulaga (if healthy), he would be a low cost option.

As for the draft, I can see the interest in a stud DE, but I also like the idea of grabbing a quality OT. A quality OT like could shore up RT and provide long term development behind Beatty.

I think there is likely enough depth that a good DE or OTcould be available in round 2.

I have been looking at the cap numbers and I think there will be room for a quality free agency signing. My prediction would be Randall Cobb for a similar deal to Cruz.
It provides insurance for Cruz and Cobb knows the system well. The jury is still out on Randle.

I plan to have my thinking sorted in the next few weeks.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:08 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am not extending Eli just yet. Let him play out his contract and then we can re-evaluate. He will be 35 by then so we can decide what we want to do or if we want to go in a different direction. That buys us 2 years and we see what our record is and what happens to the HC.

If the coaches all get fired then we get a new HC who probably wants his own QB. Reese never had to worry about finding a HC or QB. So, I want to wait and see how everything shakes out.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:07 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

There are a couple more free agent OL that could be interesting in Houston RT Derek Newton and Denver LG Orlando Franklin.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:13 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
I am not extending Eli just yet. Let him play out his contract and then we can re-evaluate. He will be 35 by then so we can decide what we want to do or if we want to go in a different direction. That buys us 2 years and we see what our record is and what happens to the HC.

If the coaches all get fired then we get a new HC who probably wants his own QB. Reese never had to worry about finding a HC or QB. So, I want to wait and see how everything shakes out.
I don't see the point. Either Eli is the short term answer, in which case we extend hi, free up some cap room and build the team around him

Or if Eli isn't the answer, trade him an lets go with Ryan Nassib or whoever.

I think we have seen enough to see that Eli can be effective in McAdoo's system.

It seems to me that playing out Eli's current contract is hedging our bets without any real outcome. If he is the answer, his value goes up in free agency, if he isn't we have wasted another year.

What we really need is a 4 to 5 year plan and build rather than slap temp fixes.