Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:42 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

See, this is what inflames me about posters here.

I think Ed Reed is the best safety in football. I don't know that he is though. I mean, take two seconds to think if YOU really know what each player is supposed to be doing on any given play. You don't. You think you know, but you have no real idea. So, it inflames me that people here seem to think they know more than the Baltimore coaches. If he were to be benched, he would probably be hurting his team more than helping.

If a guy gives up 1 touchdown a game but also gets 1 interception a game is he worse than one that gives up zero touchdowns but also gets zero interceptions? To me, yes, he's substantially worse. Would he be in the Hall of Fame averaging an INT a game? His stats would suggest he would be. He'd never get that far because his team would get rid of him or bench him.

So, this begs the question. If the Baltimore Coaching staff benched him or mentioned benching him, do you think THEY think he's hurting more than helping?

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 04:44 PM    (permalink
HerthaFootballFan
Rookie

Location: from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin, Germany but now living in Buffalo
HerthaFootballFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
exactly a player like that you make a game plan for, i would be pissed if A-Dub just dropped back into coverage all day
I'm not saying he's a great playmaker, but his freelancing ways hurt the ravens a lot as well as he would look to make a big play instead of staying with his responsibilities. If he could focus on maintaining his responsibilities and free lancing while still in position to cover his spot that'd be much better. And if he says that he's not changing his game then you have to force him to, even if that means benching him in training camp.
HerthaFootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 04:47 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Ed Reed is overrated as a safety. He is not the most physical safety and his mental game leaves much to be desired. He's inconsistent. I'd much rather have a player like Troy Polamalu who has tremendous closing burst and plays very well within his scheme. Troy can line up as a centerfielder, he can blitz from the middle, he can contain from the edge, etc. He does it all and he does it how he's supposed to. All safeties make mistakes, but those that play within the system limit their mistakes. It's unacceptable for any player to think he's above the coaches. We saw it with LaVar Arrington, look where he is now. Your coaches are paid to teach you and implement their system because they are more knowledgeable. Do what they say and don't whine about it.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 04:49 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerthaFootballFan View Post
I'm not saying he's a great playmaker, but his freelancing ways hurt the ravens a lot as well as he would look to make a big play instead of staying with his responsibilities. If he could focus on maintaining his responsibilities and free lancing while still in position to cover his spot that'd be much better. And if he says that he's not changing his game then you have to force him to, even if that means benching him in training camp.
The whole point of staying within your responsibility is to make the big play. Many defensive plays and schemes are designed to create confusion and a big-play opportunity for a player on the field, usually a safety. Reed doesn't need to freelance to make plays, and if he craves his own attention, stats and accolades so much he should be benched. Football is a team sport, and defense is all about supporting your brothers.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-05-2007, 04:54 PM    (permalink
HerthaFootballFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
I think Ed Reed is overrated as a safety. He is not the most physical safety and his mental game leaves much to be desired. He's inconsistent. I'd much rather have a player like Troy Polamalu who has tremendous closing burst and plays very well within his scheme. Troy can line up as a centerfielder, he can blitz from the middle, he can contain from the edge, etc. He does it all and he does it how he's supposed to. All safeties make mistakes, but those that play within the system limit their mistakes. It's unacceptable for any player to think he's above the coaches. We saw it with LaVar Arrington, look where he is now. Your coaches are paid to teach you and implement their system because they are more knowledgeable. Do what they say and don't whine about it.
To be fair Arrington is done not because of his freelancing, but because of his injuries. If he had never gotten injured he'd still be a starter and boarder line probowler. The problem is though that Reed wasn't a LB but rather a safety, he's it, there's no one to cover him if his guy gets by him, so for that reason alone he should play more within the scheme. However having said that his playmaking abilities are incredible, and more so because he still does an above average job covering his responsibilities, just not a great job like other elite safeties, Dawkins for example.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:55 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinzzfan25 View Post
Then remind us why you're still posting?
thank you.. exactly what i was thinking
Old 08-05-2007, 04:56 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangini for pres View Post
thank you.. exactly what i was thinking
Just ignore it. Jetsfuture did the same thing a while ago and got banned for it.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-05-2007, 05:03 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Oh Really?

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 05:07 PM    (permalink
HerthaFootballFan
Rookie

so two pictures of him falling are supposed to make us think he's physical?
Old 08-05-2007, 05:07 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Wow, 2 images make Ed Reed more physical than Sean Taylor (oops), Brian Dawkins and Rodney Harrison. BigDawg steals the show again...

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-05-2007, 05:14 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Wow, 2 images make Ed Reed more physical than Sean Taylor (oops), Brian Dawkins and Rodney Harrison. BigDawg steals the show again...
And how many of those mentioned players won Defensive Player of the Year? Thats what I thought...........

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Quote:
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:18 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg819 View Post
And how many of those mentioned players won Defensive Player of the Year? Thats what I thought...........
What, you thought your posts bring no relevance or substance to discussion? You're right. If you can't justify why Reed is the most physical safety in the league don't bother to comment at all. Bringing up one award of little relevance or importance to the topic proves nothing but how big of a tool you are. This is your last chance to prove yourself otherwise I'll just ignore all of your posts as spam. Anytime you challenge me from now on and I don't respond it's because you're not worth my time for argument.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-05-2007, 05:30 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

Quote:
What, you thought your posts bring no relevance or substance to discussion? You're right. If you can't justify why Reed is the most physical safety in the league don't bother to comment at all. Bringing up one award of little relevance or importance to the topic proves nothing but how big of a tool you are. This is your last chance to prove yourself otherwise I'll just ignore all of your posts as spam. Anytime you challenge me from now on and I don't respond it's because you're not worth my time for argument.
I don't need to respond to your moronic statements because they're worthless but this time I'll make an exception.

Then knock that Reed isn't physicial is bunk! Most base this argument on the fact that he doesn't play in the box and blitz but news flash he doesn't need to in our defense with proven pass rushers all over our D but even then he still will blitz from time to time with an effect everytime. Just because he doesn't make Sportscenter highlights every week like Taylor for jacking up a Punter! doesn't mean he can't lay wood with the best of them. Anyone who watches him closely and see when he's in centerfield and receivers come across the middle he's there waiting to unload. Unlike the others mentioned he can actually cover and doesn't always need to make a big hit because he likely has broken up the play and/or provided good enough coverage to negate a pass. But he's not only great in coverage but he's also very solid against the run as well. I'm tired of these ridiculous notions that he's not physical because they're moronic and unfounded!

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-05-2007, 05:46 PM    (permalink
HerthaFootballFan
Rookie

please give me any proof that he actually can hit. I love the guy but you have to realize that hitting just isn't his thing, and in coverage he often makes bad mistakes trying to make plays. These are the knocks on his game please respond to them and them alone. We all agree that he can make a lot of great plays but these things are things he doesn't do well.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:24 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

people are we forget that game vs colts in the playoffs he was just everywhere

picks , big hits , deflections , just everywhere

ed reed does not play to his postion and many times that does not help rolle or the team

but all the times hes not where he was suppose to be he them saying "he was in the right place at the right time"

i agree with Champ that they should make plays , but not every play just some so he does not fell not involed in the game "like he has to do something on his own to get involed" thats my 2 cents
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:29 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

we all knew he freelanced, this shouldn't come as a suprise. and u had heard wispers of him leaving teammates out to dry at time by not covering his end (in the scheme), so this just makes it known that the coaches don't like it and want him to cut down doing it. He won't be benched, but u never know it could be ala Levar Arrington.

The only thing about this that comes as any suprise is Ed Reed's reaction and response. I'm not a fan of that one bit and that makes me think this is an issue that may be worth watching. He won't be benched, they have to much money into him and he's to good a player, but u never want a leader on ur team voicing that type of opinion. Not good for team moral, and doesn't send a good message. He went down a notch in my books, no doubt.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote