Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 08-06-2007, 12:30 AM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran

gstock05 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Ohio State 2007 Discussion thread

I know other teams have threads for 2007, and there are a lot of buckeye fans here, so i figured i'd start this off here.
gstock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:37 AM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran

Camp starts Monday- here are some pics from the check in...

Alex Boone in REAL good shape.

James Laurinaitis has no neck. Literally. Crazy..

Chris Wells is Massive..

Malcolm Jenkins

And of course Robert Rose is a complete freak. Last person on earth I'd want to get in a fight with.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:38 AM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran

http://theozone.net/football/2007/Fa...equestions.htm

Buckeyes Open Fall Camp a Team Looking for Answers On Offense
By John Porentas

The Buckeyes reported for fall camp earlier today and will open camp tomorrow in preparation for the 2007 season. When they do they will be a team looking to fill some very big shoes on the offensive side of the ball.

Graduation and early departures always take a toll on a college football team, but its hard to imagine a team losing more offensive skill than the Buckeyes did at the end of last season. Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Troy Smith is gone, game breaking receiver Ted Ginn is gone, All-Big Ten receiver Anthony Gonzalez is gone, and reliable tailback Antonio Pittman is gone, all now on NFL rosters. The mass exodus of firepower probably means that the OSU offense will be very different in 2007.

Marcus Freeman
Photo by Jim Davidson
"It's not going to be the Troy Smith, Teddy Ginn, Antonio Pittman show that it was last year," said linebacker Marcus Freeman.

The quarterback position has been well-publicized and will be an ongoing battle between Todd Boeckman, Robby Schoenhoft and Antonio Henton. Boeckman had an edge after spring ball with Schoenhoft in the number two spot, but according to OSU Head Coach Jim Tressel, that number one spot is still open and will likely remain that way even after the season begins. That's because all three candidates have precious little game experience.

"We won't be settled at quarterback going into the season because no one will have done anything in a game," Tressel said at the Big Ten Media Days last week.

Jim Tressel
Photo by Jim Davidson
"You know we're going to play more than one quarterback in the first couple of games, that's what we try to do. Things don't become settled until there's some proof (in a game)."

The quarterback spot will be critical, but the loss of Ginn at wide receiver may have as much or even more impact on the Buckeyes this season. Ginn made plays and put pressure on defenses, and that made things easier for everyone else on the field for the OSU offense.

"I know a lot of defensive coordinators around the country have to game plan for him because there's not that many people who can deal with that speed," said OSU defensive back Malcolm Jenkins of the impact Ginn had on the game.

The Buckeyes will be looking for a play-making threat at the wide receiver spot. None are as yet proven in game conditions, and that is a concern, but there are some candidates. The name that comes up the most when players on the current roster are asked who that might be is Ray Small.

Malcolm Jenkins
"I think Ray Small, if he continues to develop as a receiver, he can bring that kind of action from people and I think Brian Robiske can change a game plan for somebody," said Jenkins.

"Last year he (Small) used to give the first defense the fits. He would be on scout team and he would get us cursed out every day. He's going to be a good one," Jenkins said.

"Hopefully after game one we're going to see that we're going to have new playmakers," said Freeman.

"I know as an offense we're going to gel together and do different things this year. Hopefully we'll get a lot out of Beanie Wells and a lot out of Mo Wells and whatever quarterback does come in will step up and help this team."

The Buckeyes will indeed probably lean more heavily on the running game this season, but if the offense is to be really effective, a new playmaker at wide receiver will have to emerge. Robiske is confident that will happen, or that even if it doesn't, the Buckeyes have enough quality at wide receiver to overwhelm secondaries with numbers.

Brian Robiske
"That (having a game breaker like Ginn) definitely helps because that kind of draws some of the attention away from some of the other guys on the field," said Robiske.

"It helps with some of the things the guys can do to put guys in different positions. But I think when you have a number of guys who are all capable of doing some pretty good things it definitely helps just having a good group of guys.

"I think we've got four or five guys who are really capable of doing some good things. I think we've got a couple of running backs and a couple of receivers that might not have played a lot but that this year they've worked hard in the off-season and they all know what it takes to be successful, to do the things that Teddy did, that Gonzo did.

"I think that he's (a new playmaker) there. I think we'll find out in camp what guy he is and when he's going to emerge. We've got a couple of those guys."

A receiver out wide that strikes fear into the hearts of defenses would be huge for the Buckeyes. Another option would be incorporate the tight end more into the passing game to force the secondary to cover areas of the field they once could leave relatively open, and according to the players we've spoken to this fall, returning tight end Rory Nicol has made tremendous strides as a receiver since last season ended.

"In seven on seven drills he's been killing guys, so hopefully he can continue to emerge going into his junior year," said offensive tackle Kirk Barton.

"Rory has just gotten a lot better," added linebacker James Laurinaitis who went head to head with Nicol during seven on seven drills this summer.

:"He's experienced and he's gotten a lot better. It's exciting to see him getting in and out of routes quicker, stuff like that."

Related Story: Buckeye Defense Looking for Help up the Middle.

Return to the-Ozone Columns and Features

Return to the-OZone Front Page

(c) 2007 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:40 AM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran

http://theozone.net/football/2007/Fa...equestions.htm

Football
Buckeyes Open Fall Camp a Team Looking for Answers On Offense
By John Porentas

The Buckeyes reported for fall camp earlier today and will open camp tomorrow in preparation for the 2007 season. When they do they will be a team looking to fill some very big shoes on the offensive side of the ball.

Graduation and early departures always take a toll on a college football team, but its hard to imagine a team losing more offensive skill than the Buckeyes did at the end of last season. Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Troy Smith is gone, game breaking receiver Ted Ginn is gone, All-Big Ten receiver Anthony Gonzalez is gone, and reliable tailback Antonio Pittman is gone, all now on NFL rosters. The mass exodus of firepower probably means that the OSU offense will be very different in 2007.

Marcus Freeman
Photo by Jim Davidson
"It's not going to be the Troy Smith, Teddy Ginn, Antonio Pittman show that it was last year," said linebacker Marcus Freeman.

The quarterback position has been well-publicized and will be an ongoing battle between Todd Boeckman, Robby Schoenhoft and Antonio Henton. Boeckman had an edge after spring ball with Schoenhoft in the number two spot, but according to OSU Head Coach Jim Tressel, that number one spot is still open and will likely remain that way even after the season begins. That's because all three candidates have precious little game experience.

"We won't be settled at quarterback going into the season because no one will have done anything in a game," Tressel said at the Big Ten Media Days last week.

Jim Tressel
Photo by Jim Davidson
"You know we're going to play more than one quarterback in the first couple of games, that's what we try to do. Things don't become settled until there's some proof (in a game)."

The quarterback spot will be critical, but the loss of Ginn at wide receiver may have as much or even more impact on the Buckeyes this season. Ginn made plays and put pressure on defenses, and that made things easier for everyone else on the field for the OSU offense.

"I know a lot of defensive coordinators around the country have to game plan for him because there's not that many people who can deal with that speed," said OSU defensive back Malcolm Jenkins of the impact Ginn had on the game.

The Buckeyes will be looking for a play-making threat at the wide receiver spot. None are as yet proven in game conditions, and that is a concern, but there are some candidates. The name that comes up the most when players on the current roster are asked who that might be is Ray Small.

Malcolm Jenkins
"I think Ray Small, if he continues to develop as a receiver, he can bring that kind of action from people and I think Brian Robiske can change a game plan for somebody," said Jenkins.

"Last year he (Small) used to give the first defense the fits. He would be on scout team and he would get us cursed out every day. He's going to be a good one," Jenkins said.

"Hopefully after game one we're going to see that we're going to have new playmakers," said Freeman.

"I know as an offense we're going to gel together and do different things this year. Hopefully we'll get a lot out of Beanie Wells and a lot out of Mo Wells and whatever quarterback does come in will step up and help this team."

The Buckeyes will indeed probably lean more heavily on the running game this season, but if the offense is to be really effective, a new playmaker at wide receiver will have to emerge. Robiske is confident that will happen, or that even if it doesn't, the Buckeyes have enough quality at wide receiver to overwhelm secondaries with numbers.

Brian Robiske
"That (having a game breaker like Ginn) definitely helps because that kind of draws some of the attention away from some of the other guys on the field," said Robiske.

"It helps with some of the things the guys can do to put guys in different positions. But I think when you have a number of guys who are all capable of doing some pretty good things it definitely helps just having a good group of guys.

"I think we've got four or five guys who are really capable of doing some good things. I think we've got a couple of running backs and a couple of receivers that might not have played a lot but that this year they've worked hard in the off-season and they all know what it takes to be successful, to do the things that Teddy did, that Gonzo did.

"I think that he's (a new playmaker) there. I think we'll find out in camp what guy he is and when he's going to emerge. We've got a couple of those guys."

A receiver out wide that strikes fear into the hearts of defenses would be huge for the Buckeyes. Another option would be incorporate the tight end more into the passing game to force the secondary to cover areas of the field they once could leave relatively open, and according to the players we've spoken to this fall, returning tight end Rory Nicol has made tremendous strides as a receiver since last season ended.

"In seven on seven drills he's been killing guys, so hopefully he can continue to emerge going into his junior year," said offensive tackle Kirk Barton.

"Rory has just gotten a lot better," added linebacker James Laurinaitis who went head to head with Nicol during seven on seven drills this summer.

:"He's experienced and he's gotten a lot better. It's exciting to see him getting in and out of routes quicker, stuff like that."
Old 08-06-2007, 12:47 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chris Wells makes me want to go in hiding and not come out.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:21 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

JoeMontainya needs more cowbell.

Lauranitus is my neighbor. Well he lives about 6 apartments down.
JoeMontainya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:34 AM    (permalink
Buckeyes
Rookie

Buckeyes is a cocksman.Buckeyes is a cocksman.Buckeyes is a cocksman.Buckeyes is a cocksman.Buckeyes is a cocksman.

Its going to be interesting to see who gets the starting QB job... Boeckman is the for sure favorite right now. But, Antonio Henton might give him a run during camp. Henton had a terrible Spring Game though...
Old 08-08-2007, 11:58 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would be shocked if Schoenhoft or Henton won the job. Both have been turnover machines so far in practice this year. Boeckman has had Tressel's playbook since 2003.....that's almost 5 years so far and he's only a junior. (grayshirt + redshirt).
Old 08-08-2007, 01:30 PM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...g?t=1186443542

Laurinaitis is a MONSTER. Eric Lichter has to be one of the best S & C coaches in the country.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:20 PM    (permalink
Buckeyes
Rookie

Buckeyes is a cocksman.Buckeyes is a cocksman.Buckeyes is a cocksman.Buckeyes is a cocksman.Buckeyes is a cocksman.

agreed. I'm excited for this season. I think it will be a great year. I'm glad to see Wisconsin is coming to the shoe this season, that game will most likely decide who wins the Big Ten
Old 08-08-2007, 02:32 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyes View Post
agreed. I'm excited for this season. I think it will be a great year. I'm glad to see Wisconsin is coming to the shoe this season, that game will most likely decide who wins the Big Ten
There's a team in Michigan that may decide that too

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:35 PM    (permalink
Buckeyes
Rookie

Who? That state up north... It will just be another loss for Henne against The Buckeyes. 0-4 in his career against them, that will be rough.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyes View Post
Who? That state up north... It will just be another loss for Henne against The Buckeyes. 0-4 in his career against them, that will be rough.
Should we even play the game? I'm pretty sure Henne is 0-3 right now. I'll guarantee a win vs. OSU this year.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:32 PM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
Should we even play the game? I'm pretty sure Henne is 0-3 right now. I'll guarantee a win vs. OSU this year.
I'm more afraid of Penn State and Wisconsin this year, and that has nothing to do with Lloyd Carr and past history.

Michigan will be alike to Notre Dame of 2005 and 2006. A good offense, but a terrible back 7, and only a few good playmakers on defense.

Some teams (penn state, USC, Florida) you can see their depth will come up for them in positions they lose out on alike to Leon Hall leaving. However, Morgan Trent was BAD last year and the thought he's going to be the #1 corner is almost funny. Their safeties are decent at best, and if they resort to putting in Donovan Warren at the #2 corner position, they're going to be in dire straits.

Michigan was good in 2006 because of their defense, not because of their offense believe it or not. English is a GREAT coach and will probably take over once Carr leaves, but the impact of bad defensive back recruiting the past 2-3 years is really going to hit hard for Michigan this year.

They're going to have a tough time with Oregon or any team with a half decent offense this year.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:33 PM    (permalink
OhioState
Veteran

OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
wow that's pretty bold coming from a follower of 5 loss LLoyd
Old 08-08-2007, 04:57 PM    (permalink
Buckeyes
Rookie

Quote:
I was referring to the future... Obviously he is 0-3 soon to be 0-4
Old 08-08-2007, 05:57 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tressel has won 2 of his 3 in Ann Arbor, and Wells and that running game are gonna have a hayday against UM's newer, less talented defense. Here's hoping our stellar defense doesn't give up 39 again though. We can definitely win the Big Ten....my money says we get 2nd place at worse - we're gonna beat Wisky at home.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:04 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstock05 View Post
Chris Wells is Massive..
crap I never knew he was that big

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:08 PM    (permalink
BrownsTown
All-Pro

BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not exactly what you'd expect from a guy named Beanie.
BrownsTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:11 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstock05 View Post
I'm more afraid of Penn State and Wisconsin this year, and that has nothing to do with Lloyd Carr and past history.

Michigan will be alike to Notre Dame of 2005 and 2006. A good offense, but a terrible back 7, and only a few good playmakers on defense.

Some teams (penn state, USC, Florida) you can see their depth will come up for them in positions they lose out on alike to Leon Hall leaving. However, Morgan Trent was BAD last year and the thought he's going to be the #1 corner is almost funny. Their safeties are decent at best, and if they resort to putting in Donovan Warren at the #2 corner position, they're going to be in dire straits.

Michigan was good in 2006 because of their defense, not because of their offense believe it or not. English is a GREAT coach and will probably take over once Carr leaves, but the impact of bad defensive back recruiting the past 2-3 years is really going to hit hard for Michigan this year.

They're going to have a tough time with Oregon or any team with a half decent offense this year.

Terrible back 7? Shawn Crable wanted to drop in and say hello. Their safeties will be more than just good. Brown and Adams are two very good players. I'm worried about our corners, not our safeties. Our back 7 looks like this. Crable-Thompson-Graham/Mouton. That's a lot of wheels at the LB position. Then you have Trent/Sears, kill us now you're right about them. But Adams and Brown are a pretty good safety duo. Donovan Warren is nasty. Why would that be "dire straits"?

Penn State? Are you ******* kidding me? With Anthony Morelli at QB? They've got two good players in the secondary and one of them might be suspended.

You're right though, English is a great coach, which is why I'm not all that worried about our d.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:11 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioState View Post
wow that's pretty bold coming from a follower of 5 loss LLoyd
6 loss. and 6 win. Lloyd is 6-6 vs. OSU in his career. I'm thinking before you talk **** you review your facts.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:35 PM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran

Quote:
6 loss. and 6 win. Lloyd is 6-6 vs. OSU in his career. I'm thinking before you talk **** you review your facts.
LOL you know he meant against Tressel. Dont act dumb to prove a point.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:56 PM    (permalink
BigJohn98
Pro Bowler

BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigJohn98 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would start an FSU discussion thread, but there's only like four of us on here. LOL.
BigJohn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:10 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Tressel/Carr head to head

2001 Ohio State wins
2002 Ohio State wins again
2003 UM gets lucky :)
2004 Ohio State wins again
2005 Ohio State wins again
2006 Ohio State wins again
Old 08-08-2007, 08:34 PM    (permalink
T.Smith
Rookie

T.Smith hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Here is a very nice Article on Malcolm Jenkins. He is ready to kick some ass.
Quote:
Everybody close to the Ohio State football program knows Malcolm Jenkins is not a shy guy.

If anyone’s mouth puts in more work in practice than that of head coach Jim Tressel when he’s working the whistle, it’s the kisser of Jenkins, an outgoing and talkative junior cornerback from Piscataway, N.J.

Jenkins constantly communicates to his teammates, confers with coaches, opens a dialogue with onlookers and sometimes even talks to himself. And because he appears to be on the brink of superstardom, people listen, even wide receiver and sometimes practice rival Brian Robiskie.

“I think first and foremost guys are going to respond to those guys who have been there, and I think that he’s a guy that has been there,” said Robiske, one of the player representatives who addressed the media Sunday as the entire roster reported and readied for fall camp. “He’s been playing a lot since his freshman year. Guys look up at him because he’s playing and they automatically turn to him. Along with that he’s a very vocal guy.”

Vocal indeed.

Jenkins, who once bragged to OSU assistant and his chief recruiter, Darrell Hazell, that he would start weeks into his freshman season – and then did earn the nod weeks later – now is putting his game where his mouth always was – at the forefront. He was sensational at corner last season, coming up with timely plays, big hits and key interceptions, including a deadly pick against Penn State he returned 61 yards for a score. At the end of the season, he was tabbed first team All-Big Ten and now is flooded with all kinds of preseason mention, including All-America status. Recently he was named on the watch list for the Thorpe Award.

“It’s good to know other people see and respect you as a player on the field but that preseason stuff means nothing,” he said. “You can pay attention to accolades but to me it’s all about what you do after the season is over. Right now that’s probably the last thing on our minds. We’re just trying to get together as a team and have some fun.”

Make no mistake, Jenkins, who is a legitimate co-captain candidate this season, will do more than his share when it comes to motivating teammates and instigating that fun. He not only will use his gift of gab to spur on others, he feels a sense of responsibility now to get everyone on the same page.

“I guess you could say I feel like a veteran,” said Jenkins, who is listed 6-1 and a pound or two over 200. “I’ve been put in a leadership position for the last year and a half. But there are a lot of other veterans on the team.”

“It starts with the leaders on the defense – me, James (Laurinaitis), Vern (Gholston) and then everybody else follows suit pretty much. You do it vocally, you did it by your actions, how you carry yourself and even getting other people involved watching film. If we’re not doing it, nobody is going to follow.”

As usual, Jenkins is not too modest to set a big goal for himself. When asked how he is going to follow-up an all-league season, Jenkins replied, “Do everything I did twice as better. There’s never a cap or a point where you can stop getting better, I feel. No matter what you accomplish you can always do better. So whatever I did last year, times that by two. That’s what I want to accomplish this year.”

If Jenkins pulls that off he’ll have eight interceptions and 110 tackles for presumably one of the best defenses in the nation – and they could begin engraving his name a few notches below Antoine Winfield’s on that Thorpe Award. However, doubling or even improving on a breakout season clearly is easier said than done.

“It’s probably harder to handle to success than it is to handle defeat,” said Jenkins, who also is in line to return punts this season. “Success can put you in a spot where you feel like you’re untouchable and you feel like you’ve done it. But you can always improve and there’s always somebody else working to get better. You have to stay hungry to be successful.

“I don’t tell myself that I’m the best in the country and I deserve this and that because too many other people are telling me that.”

The excitement level is understandably high for the Buckeyes, who are ranked 10th in the preseason coaches poll, and that fever pitch should linger for a while, at least until the dog days of camp being to take a toll.

“I think the Buckeyes are pretty much anxious,” Jenkins said. “Everybody wants to get after it; everybody is looking forward to seeing what we’ve worked so hard for in the summer and transferring it to the field, seeing how the incoming freshmen are. Everybody is ready to get after it. We’re ready to hit somebody and play and just have some fun.”
Jenkins said one of the top goals of camp is for the defense to maintain or further develop its new personality.

“It started through the summer,” he said. “We as a defense are trying to develop a swagger about ourselves and an identity so that when people watch us on film there is something about us that they can pinpoint, like either we’re physical or we fly around or we make turnovers, we make plays. Whatever our identity is that’s what we’ve been trying to develop this whole summer.

“I think if you try to start to do it in camp, the season is about a month away, so it’s kind of hard to develop. It really starts as soon as the season’s over – how you work during the offeseason and how you continue that. I think we’re going to try to keep building on what we did throughout the summer.”

Jenkins is a shoo-in to start at one corner and the other slot appears to be occupied by Donald Washington, who also came on strong last season. There are many developing young players who also showed playmaking ability in the spring, most notably corner Chimdi Chekwa and safety Kurt Coleman. Chekwa is a candidate to play time at nickel back and Coleman was the listed starter a strong safety when the depth chart was released a few days ago.

“Chimdi and Kurt Coleman both had phenomenal summers,” Jenkins said. “Chimdi has gotten a lot better with one-on-one coverages and I think his confidence has come up a lot. He came in quiet and now he’s on the field excited. He progressed through the spring and the summer tremendously. I think he had a great spring and he surprised a lot of people. He’s worked on his technique a lot, which has helped him a lot and he has great speed. So it’s going to be interesting to see what he brings to camp and how he produces. He’ll definitely be fighting for some playing time.”

“Kurt has gotten a lot better as far as being a leader back there in the backfield. He’s making plays and he’s starting to fill into his role as a DB. Anderson Russell (now the projected starter at free safety) is looking great. He could have played in the spring but the coaches decided not to let him. But he’s had a great summer and he’s looked great in seven-on-sevens.”

And there are more. Jenkins said he expects Shaun Lane and Chekwa to see the field a good amount and he put Andre Amos in their class in terms of talent. Freshman corner Eugene Clifford is yet another young DB to watch.

“Eugene Clifford came in and he played pretty well at corner (over the summer),” Jenkins said. “I think he’ll be real good. He’s pretty physical. He’s got to work on his technique a little bit but he’ll be straight.

“Our depth, that’s definitely going to be a strength because most of the DBs last year were young, even myself because I was a sophomore. We were all young and kind of inexperienced but talented. I think now everybody is starting to gain some experience and is getting a knowledge of the game now, so everybody’s game is escalating and we probably now have about five corners who can play where if anything were to happen – I go down, Donald would go down – we would have somebody to replace him no problem.”

Similarly, Jenkins sees a lot of talent at wideout and more than enough to develop the young secondary, even though Ted Ginn Jr,, Anthony Gonzalez and Roy Hall have departed.

“Gonzo’s been up here this summer, so I’ve had a chance to work with him a lot,” he said. “Ted, Roy Small is kind of just like him. I think Roy will pretty much fill his spot. And Robo (Robiskie) brings a lot to the table, and we’ve still got a lot with Albert Dukes and Devon Lyons and Brian Hartline. We’ve got a lot of talented receivers. I don’t think we’ll miss out too much but they were great receivers.”

If the next batch also achieves greatness, Jenkins will be most grateful. After all, he likes to face the best.

“If you go against the greatest every day it does nothing but make you better – or frustrated, either or,” he said with a laugh. “That’s one thing that’s also helped me with my skills. My freshman year I had to go against Santonio (Holmes) and my sophomore year I had to take Gonzo and Roy Hall. And this year I still have to face some great receivers, so it’s going to do nothing but continue to help.”
T.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote