Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:19 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartin575 View Post
Larry Johnson is a wrecking ball at 230 pounds and he doesn't take alot of hard hits. He gives out hits. I will remember this thread so later in the year I can come back and rub it in your face that you were wrong.
No matter how differently you word that, LJ gets in a lot of collisions, giving or taking, his body will take a toll. It might not happen this year, it might happen next year, but its not really unrealistic to think taking that pounding 410 times, plus the playoffs, won't effect him at all. He's a runningback not a god.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:20 AM    (permalink
kmartin575
Veteran

kmartin575 needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
Jeez, it sounds like every subtraction was actaully an addition, I guess nothing can go wrong this yearin Kansas City...

Or, Green actually was a better starter then Huard, numbers or not, Croyle has shown/proved nothing and if he was so much more talented, he would be the clearcut starter. Not to mention Emmit Smith did not have the same running style, or take the same hits LJ did, that may contribute to him wearing down faster, the receivers are either rookies or ineffective, the O-Line is getting worse each year, and although the defense is average, it is still not effective enough for them to win games on it...

Some of those problems they may be able to overcome, but reading what you post, you seem to feel there's no concerns at all going into this season...
Of course their are concerns.

-depth at corner
-offensive line
-injured left tackle
-will Larry Johnson ever show up?

And why is it a problem that Croyle has proven nothing? No great player in the history of the NFL was ever great until he was given a chance to prove himself. Does unproven mean bad? Every single player drafted this year is unproven and has done nothing until they are given the chance to compete.

I guess it Tom Brady was so good he wouldn't have had to compete with Drew Bledsoe in his second year in the NFL. Just because you are having to compete for your spot means nothing. Croyle is a young player who still has alot of growing to do. That is why he is competing.
kmartin575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:25 AM    (permalink
kmartin575
Veteran

Quote:
No matter how differently you word that, LJ gets in a lot of collisions, giving or taking, his body will take a toll. It might not happen this year, it might happen next year, but its not really unrealistic to think taking that pounding 410 times, plus the playoffs, won't effect him at all. He's a runningback not a god.
Counting receptions Ladainian Tomlinson has totals of 398, 451, 413, 392, 389, and 404 touches for each of his 6 seasons in the NFL. I don't see anybody bitching and complaining that he is going to burnout before too long. As far as I am concerned LT has much more wear and tear than LJ does. LT has over 900 more carries in his career than LJ does. LT started all through college and had 5,000+ yards in college. LJ didn't start in college until his senior season. Counting college and the NFL LJ has only started 2 1/2 years. But go ahead and keep telling yourself he is going to wear down.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:26 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Of course their are concerns.

-depth at corner
-offensive line
-injured left tackle
-will Larry Johnson ever show up?
Add to that list...

An effective Starting QB
LJ breaking down
Aging cornerbacks
Proven/Good WRs

Quote:
And why is it a problem that Croyle has proven nothing? No great player in the history of the NFL was ever great until he was given a chance to prove himself. Does unproven mean bad? Every single player drafted this year is unproven and has done nothing until they are given the chance to compete.
No unproven does not mean bad. Philip Rivers was unproven last year too. But Brodie Croyle is going into his second year as a player! With 0 games started and 7 passes attempted...That's different from having time to be mentored, or learn the system...if you think he won't encounter struggles your ridiculous! Not to mention, he hasn't shown much of anything, accept maybe flashes in Training Camp that he will be a great/good QB at all!

Quote:
I guess it Tom Brady was so good he wouldn't have had to compete with Drew Bledsoe in his second year in the NFL. Just because you are having to compete for your spot means nothing. Croyle is a young player who still has alot of growing to do. That is why he is competing.
You're comparing Brodie Croyle to Tom Brady? Tom Brady, to echo every sportscaster and fan, is the exception not the rule....His situation has no relevance to Croyle's, and even though Brady did blossom, seemingly out of nowhere, he was better coached, better prepared, and had a better team around him to help him become better. But just comparing the two at all is a stretch.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:28 AM    (permalink
kmartin575
Veteran

Quote:
Add to that list...

An effective Starting QB
LJ breaking down
Aging cornerbacks
Proven/Good WRs

No unproven does not mean bad. Philip Rivers was unproven last year too. But Brodie Croyle is going into his second year as a player! With 0 games started and 7 passes attempted...That's different from having time to be mentored, or learn the system...if you think he won't encounter struggles your ridiculous! Not to mention, he hasn't shown much of anything, accept maybe flashes in Training Camp that he will be a great/good QB at all!

You're comparing Brodie Croyle to Tom Brady? Tom Brady, to echo every sportscaster and fan, is the exception not the rule....His situation has no relevance to Croyle's, and even though Brady did blossom, seemingly out of nowhere, he was better coached, better prepared, and had a better team around him to help him become better. But just comparing the two at all is a stretch.
So what team do you root for? I'm sure I can find plenty of holes in that team unless it happens to be New England or San Diego.

Edit: nevermind, now I see why you are posting everything you are posting. Your a Chargers fan.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:31 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Counting receptions Ladainian Tomlinson has totals of 398, 451, 413, 392, 389, and 404 touches for each of his 6 seasons in the NFL. I don't see anybody bitching and complaining that he is going to burnout before too long. As far as I am concerned LT has much more wear and tear than LJ does. LT has over 900 more carries in his career than LJ does. LT started all through college and had 5,000+ yards in college. LJ didn't start in college until his senior season. Counting college and the NFL LJ has only started 2 1/2 years. But go ahead and keep telling yourself he is going to wear down.
LT also takes much less big hits, runs in a completely different style, and conditions differently then Larry Johnson does. But even so, you keep acting like its some competition to who burns out first. LJ will wear down, he's had to much work, and taken to many hits not too. LT tries to avoid contact where LJ seeks it. But fine, I really don't care for arguing LT vs. LJ with a homer. It's fine, I admit and I've said before, LT only has a few years left at the top. But keep telling yourself the Chiefs have no concerns with their QB's, RB's, etc. It's fine.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:31 AM    (permalink
MasterShake
Rookie

MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfrillman View Post
The 49ers are not going to finish .500 or above, as my sig says. Just wait and see, if you are still on this site by the time the 49ers have proven they aren't very good I will send you a little reminder of my immense knowledge.
Quick note nfrillman:

That worst differential ever for a 7-9 team is an interesting stat, but only to those who didn't follow the 2006 49ers.

The 49ers point differential over the first 7 games was.... -101

The 49ers point differential over the last 9 games was.... -13

Big difference. The difference was the combination of new defensive starters and the young players starting to gain experience and come together.

Obviously the 49ers have alot of question marks still, but they have alot more answers to those questions then they have had in years. This team could explode, or it could be mediorce. Less than .500? Maybe, but doubtful. The Rams having a better record? They better learn to play some defense and quick.
MasterShake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:35 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
So what team do you root for? I'm sure I can find plenty of holes in that team unless it happens to be New England or San Diego.

Edit: nevermind, now I see why you are posting everything you are posting. Your a Chargers fan.
Yeah I am a Charger fan, and even as a Charger fan, I can admit my team has flaws. We don't have a steady proven WR, we lost our coaches, our ILBs are weak, and our safeties will always be a concern. i could make up excuses for each of those positions, like you've been doing, but that would be pointless and solve nothing. I could easily say VJ and Craig Davis look to be stars and have potential (like you said about Croyle), or that our coaches are better off now because we couldn't win with them when it counts (similar to why you don't mind losing Green), or that our ILBs are unproven but show potential (Croyle), same with the secondary, etc.

Everyone can make excuses. I'm not criticsing you to argue with a KC fan, that's just stupid. I've given credit to plenty of division rivals, and argued about a bunch of other ones also. So spare me the "Why I'm posting what I'm posting." I'm doing it because it bothers me that someone can so blindly follow their team, they can't recognize its flaws.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:00 AM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
I think you hit it pretty well with New York and KC. The Titans are another team that I think will as well.
Yeah, I was going to say the Titans as well. MADDEN CURSE!!!
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:13 AM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Question: How do people think the Jets will do?

I'd like to nominate them...even if I think overall we'll improve on important things for the long term. Schedule is tough as hell (unlike last years) and our luck with injuries, fumble recoveries, crappiness of opponents could lead to an 8-9 win season. It won't make people happy, but I think as a rebuilding team it's perfectly fine if other stuff (run D, pass rush, QB play, O-line play) improves.
SenorGato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:36 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Huh? Are you serious?

I guess the addition of Donnie Edwards and Napoleon Harris won't help at linebacker?

The additions of Turk McBride, Tank Tyler, and Alfonso Boone won't help on the defensive line?

And what about the further growth and progression of young players like Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali, Bernard Pollard, and Jarrad Page?
I was being sarcastic, making the point that KC doesn't need to ride the coat tails of LJ, as everyone else presumes.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:25 AM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Indy is gonna be more of what they were 3 years ago - very little defense but still winning on Peyton's arm.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:18 AM    (permalink
cardsalltheway
Veteran

cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
I think Indy is gonna be more of what they were 3 years ago - very little defense but still winning on Peyton's arm.
That's what they were last year

Designs by D-Unit

ILEMTPKC - I Love Eli Manning <The Patriots Killer> Club
cardsalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:49 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm really expecting it to be Tennessee. They overachieved last season and they have major holes on both sides of the ball. Teams should be more prepared for Young now aswell after seeing what he can do last year.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:56 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsalltheway View Post
That's what they were last year
Their defense was way better last year than it looks to be this year. It looks like has potential to be one of the worst we have seen in a long time.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:16 AM    (permalink
cardsalltheway
Veteran

cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
Their defense was way better last year than it looks to be this year. It looks like has potential to be one of the worst we have seen in a long time.
You mean like bad enough to allow more YPC than any team in the last 45 years? :roll:

Designs by D-Unit

ILEMTPKC - I Love Eli Manning <The Patriots Killer> Club
cardsalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:20 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
im not getting into this, what Giantsfan1080 said will suffice, and i agree with him. anyone is an upgrade over Carlos Emmons at LB... I'll just let the regular seaosn do the talking...
That's what Raider fans said about Bill Callahan and then Norv Turner as head coach. Both times, we were proved to be very wrong.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:39 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The NFL is a schedule/QB league and every year between 7 to 9 different teams make the playoffs mostly due to tougher schedules for the teams that made it last year. So, 7-9 teams will have a significant fall off from last year, you can count on it, it happens every year.

So here's my list of contenders who could easily drop off:

1) Giants - Tiki, Coughlin and OL = poor year
2) New York Jets - Get to play AFC North and NFC East - not pretty
3) Baltimore - Caught the Steelers and Bengals with recovering QB's, doubt they repeat
4) San Diego - New HC will prove to be a disaster
5) Kansas City - Team is in flux and will need time
6) Philadelphia - I based this on McNabb getting injured.
7) Seattle - Soft touch Division is over and they could fall.
8) Dallas - New HC could = trouble and is Romo really the answer?
Old 08-10-2007, 10:41 AM    (permalink
Ewing
Pro Bowler

Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.

Quote:
Then I guess Larry Johnson is going to have to prove the ignorant fans around the NFL, such as yourself, wrong.
How am I igornant when all I did was state facts. Every single running back who carried the ball 370 times in a season declined the following year. History shows it's more than likely LJ is going to have a down year.
Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:01 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jets, Titans, Chiefs, Giants are the four teams I expect to see drop off in performance.
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:09 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the Falcons will experience a substantial drop-off as well. Joey Harrington, Michael Jenkins, and Roddy White are not ingredients for an explosive passing attack.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:11 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
I think the Falcons will experience a substantial drop-off as well. Joey Harrington, Michael Jenkins, and Roddy White are not ingredients for an explosive passing attack.
Joey Harrington may not even be the starting QB. DJ Shockley may beat him out. Either way, not good.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:12 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Joey Harrington may not even be the starting QB. DJ Shockley may beat him out. Either way, not good.
I haven't seen much of Shockley since his days at UGA, but will he still be a dual-threat, or has he toned the running down?
Old 08-10-2007, 12:13 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
What do you think are the odds Shockley does beat him out? I know its not very reassuring with either of them, but I just started hearing talk about it, and was wondering what Falcons fans thought/wanted...
Old 08-10-2007, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Falcons fans in general want Shockley to succeed. I think he won't be the day-1 starter, but if Harrington struggles enough he will get his opportunity.