Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:03 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartin575 View Post
Counting receptions Ladainian Tomlinson has totals of 398, 451, 413, 392, 389, and 404 touches for each of his 6 seasons in the NFL. I don't see anybody bitching and complaining that he is going to burnout before too long. As far as I am concerned LT has much more wear and tear than LJ does. LT has over 900 more carries in his career than LJ does. LT started all through college and had 5,000+ yards in college. LJ didn't start in college until his senior season. Counting college and the NFL LJ has only started 2 1/2 years. But go ahead and keep telling yourself he is going to wear down.
Receptions are different from carries. When a RB catches the ball, he isn't surrounded by 7 guys totalling 2000 or so pounds all trying to hit him. He's outside against DBs. Also, watch a game, LT's running style is completely different from LJ's. LT doesn't take hits, he dodges them. And that takes less of a toll on his body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:28 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Our defense will improve by leaps and bounds for the simple fact that Tim Lewis is no longer calling the shots.

However, our offense will take a dip in production. We're going into the season with a Guard at Tackle, and we have thin depth on the leftside. Plus losing Tiki is losing production no matter how you wanna slice it.

However, if the line can hold up, our pass game should improve with a healthy Moss and Smith. Thats a big IF though.

Regardless, looking at an easier schedule and in all likelihood being healthier than last year (knock on wood), I dont see why the Giants can't repeat last year's 8-8 record. In fact, thats what I have us achieving going into the season. 8-8. With a lil bit of luck who knows, but for now, the reasonable fan in me says 8-8.

The homer in me says 10-6 :) But I know thats pushing it of course. 8-8 is what i say.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:01 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Our defense will improve by leaps and bounds for the simple fact that Tim Lewis is no longer calling the shots.

However, our offense will take a dip in production. We're going into the season with a Guard at Tackle, and we have thin depth on the leftside. Plus losing Tiki is losing production no matter how you wanna slice it.

However, if the line can hold up, our pass game should improve with a healthy Moss and Smith. Thats a big IF though.

Regardless, looking at an easier schedule and in all likelihood being healthier than last year (knock on wood), I dont see why the Giants can't repeat last year's 8-8 record. In fact, thats what I have us achieving going into the season. 8-8. With a lil bit of luck who knows, but for now, the reasonable fan in me says 8-8.

The homer in me says 10-6 :) But I know thats pushing it of course. 8-8 is what i say.
The fact is, that offense isn't going to improve by leaps and bounds unless Eli Manning improves by leaps and bounds. It's possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Losing Tiki is going to have a huge negative effect on not only the offense, but the team as a whole.

I just don't see how the G-Men got better at all... if anything, they took a few steps backwards. I simply cannot see them finishing anything better than 3rd in the East, again... this time, that probably won't include a playoff spot.
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:03 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
The fact is, that offense isn't going to improve by leaps and bounds unless Eli Manning improves by leaps and bounds. It's possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Losing Tiki is going to have a huge negative effect on not only the offense, but the team as a whole.

I just don't see how the G-Men got better at all... if anything, they took a few steps backwards. I simply cannot see them finishing anything better than 3rd in the East, again... this time, that probably won't include a playoff spot.

Um....did you read what I wrote? Read it again, I think you misinterpreted what I said...
Old 08-11-2007, 12:39 AM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Surely the Titans are going to fall apart because they have no one at WR!!!! Just think back to the stars they had....last.....uh.....year.

But seriously, it sounds like Moulds can actually catch the ball. Too bad Bennett is not the sure handed receiver that it seems people generally think he is.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:05 AM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlerChris View Post
Receptions are different from carries. When a RB catches the ball, he isn't surrounded by 7 guys totalling 2000 or so pounds all trying to hit him. He's outside against DBs. Also, watch a game, LT's running style is completely different from LJ's. LT doesn't take hits, he dodges them. And that takes less of a toll on his body.
To add to what you're already saying, LT also has a much much better oline in front of him, making it easier for him to find the hole and get into space where he can do his thing instead of constantly running into a wall like in 2005.
Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:14 AM    (permalink
nfrillman
Veteran

nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
Surely the Titans are going to fall apart because they have no one at WR!!!! Just think back to the stars they had....last.....uh.....year.

But seriously, it sounds like Moulds can actually catch the ball. Too bad Bennett is not the sure handed receiver that it seems people generally think he is.
It is even more unfortunate that Bennett is not on the Titans anymore. That is going to make it infinitely more difficult for him to be productive for the Titans.

I am done arguing, until somebody says something stupid.
nfrillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:49 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The titans dont just have no recievers they have no offense other than Young. Plus their defensive backs are terrible and their front 7 isn't that great either. I just dont think they have the talent on either side of the ball to match last years record.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:13 AM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think his point was, the Titans WR's didn't really get worse, they just didn't get obviously better (if you disregard the possibility of pre-existing young guys progressing anyway, which most people seem happy to do).

With that in mind, it doesn't really seem to make any sense to suggest WR will be their downfall when it wasn't last season with what was basically the same unit. People put waaayyy too much worth into who was "starting" - if you look at the stats, you'll see Bennett was totally non existent during the winning streak and a significant portion of his production came with Kerry Collins in the first 3 weeks anyway. Wade was a great contributer but nothing more - not exactly irreplaceable and easily in line with the type of player just about every team has to replace on a common basis from season to season.

Plus, if VY shows improvement with his passing as you'd expect he would, does that not at least logically offset an apparent weaker WR group? If the WR's were stronger last year, one can make the same assumption VY was weaker at passing than he will be this year. Funnily enough, QB's factor into the passing attack too! On this topic, maybe the WR's just didn't look so great because they had a rookie QB throwing them the ball and an improved Young will allow them to flourish more. See, it works both ways.

As for the "luck" angle, well you make a lot of your own luck in the NFL. Besides, for every instance of "luck" anyone can list for the Titans last year, I can list just as many unlucky ones. They had quite a lot of factors and 50/50 outcomes working against them last season as well.

Last edited by OzTitan : 08-11-2007 at 07:17 AM.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:36 AM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
The titans dont just have no recievers they have no offense other than Young. Plus their defensive backs are terrible and their front 7 isn't that great either. I just dont think they have the talent on either side of the ball to match last years record.
Overall, the DB's are better on paper (the only thing anyone can go by at the moment) than last year thanks to some vets singings and drafting Griffin. Losing one star CB sucks but good secondaries need quality all over to be good, not one or two good players and crap elsewhere. As a unit, they were upgraded this offseason.

As said in my above post, they basically had "no receivers" last season, too.

The front 7 didn't get worse. In fact, it got a wee bit better with the removal of Sirmon, who was as fast as a turtle at MLB, and some DE's back up to health. Albert was suspended 5 games last year and the front 7 suffered a lot without him. As of right now, he's looking to play all 16 games this season like every other currently active player.

You see, what you're doing is confusing general weaknesses as new weaknesses. Nothing you listed above is a new weakness - they were the same weaknesses as last season. Some of those have the potential to be more of a weakness (WR, although it's definitely arguable), while the others on paper should be stronger (front 7, DB's as a group, but obviously we can't account for injuries etc).

One you didn't list was HB which could be legit, but if you scratch beneath the surface there, you'll see a lot of Henry's success can be attributed to great run blocking from the OL and VY opening up the rushing game with the threat of play action scrambles. It's still obviously a question mark, but all the Titans will need is average HB play and that position will be fine, and probably overall no worse than last year due to the fact the rushing success didn't get started until they reshuffled the OL and VY took the QB role. In 07, these two factors will be in play from week 1.

Now, don't take this as me saying they definitely won't do worse - there are other factors at play for a record (injuries, SOS, etc) - I just don't see one overriding reason the Titans should do worse. The only legitimate reason seems to be "they won't be able to repeat that season again because they were lucky and didn't get better enough to overcome any change in luck in 07", but that's an incredibly trivial reason that opens the door for all sorts of weird and wonderful logic applicable to almost every team.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:23 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just dont think they have the talent to win 8 games again. Young carried them last year and I think teams will be more prepared for him after seeing him play in the pros last year.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:37 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfrillman View Post
It is even more unfortunate that Bennett is not on the Titans anymore. That is going to make it infinitely more difficult for him to be productive for the Titans.
Uh yeah, I know he's a Ram now. Got overpayed and all that. You see, I'm saying replacing a WR that drops a lot of passes with one who has good hands could be a plus for us, not a minus.

You can't get much worse than what the Titans had for a WR core last year.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:41 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
I just dont think they have the talent to win 8 games again. Young carried them last year and I think teams will be more prepared for him after seeing him play in the pros last year.
The o-line had a big part in it too. They, along with Ahmard Hall (remember that name) will keep the running game at least good, even if there's no great RB.

Young had a big hand in turning things around last year, but it wasn't all on him. And his physical talent isn't just going to be stopped by gameplanning.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:45 PM    (permalink
nfrillman
Veteran

nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
Uh yeah, I know he's a Ram now. Got overpayed and all that. You see, I'm saying replacing a WR that drops a lot of passes with one who has good hands could be a plus for us, not a minus.

You can't get much worse than what the Titans had for a WR core last year.
Oh, okay then. I thought you were just really not up to date on what the Titans roster looked like.

I am done arguing, until somebody says something stupid.
nfrillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:09 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yodachu, your boy Joey had a pretty nice game yesterday..
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote