Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Diego Chargers Team Forum

San Diego Chargers Team Forum Discuss the Bolts

Old 08-09-2007, 11:51 PM    (permalink
sdpads24
Veteran

sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.
Default Shawn Merriman

As we all know Shawne Merriman is a very controversial player. Im glad to see that he's on the right track to be one of the greatest ever, though I am disappointed he won't be doing his sack dance anymore. Sorry I spelled his name wrong in the title.Link

Quote:
Atop Shawne Merriman’s locker at Chargers Park sits a hat with “Lights Out” embroidered on it. Merriman has left the novelty on the shelf this summer and chosen other headwear.

“I’ve still got it up there,” Merriman said. “It’ll be up there until I’m ready to wear it again.”

As part of his desire to tone down his alter ego, Merriman is asking people to start calling him by his given first name rather than “Lights” as many of his teammates and coaches do. He’s not wearing shirts or hats from his clothing line, and Thursday he announced on Sirius NFL Radio that he’s not going to break out in his trademark sack dance after dropping opposing quarterbacks this fall.

“I’m just going to give my teammates a high five and try to get another one on the next play,” Merriman told Chargers.com. “I obviously like to have fun. It’s not like I had pressure to pull back. It’s just a personal thing. It's something I wanted to do.”

Merriman didn’t have some sort of epiphany this spring or a sudden change of heart this offseason. He just felt that in order to rally his teammates, it’s best that he be more about football and less about outside things that could potentially become a distraction.

“During the offseason, we had some changes and had a lot of things going on,” Merriman said. “I just knew we really needed to rally and make sure we were on the same page. We needed to really come together. I just thought it was important to pull back a little bit and focus on bringing us together.”

While Merriman plans to do less talking off the field, his voice has been regularly heard on the field throughout the first two weeks of training camp. Although he’s taken a leadership role throughout his time in San Diego, he’s raised the volume a bit in the huddle and on the practice field.

“He’s always going to be vocal because he is a leader for us,” outside linebackers coach John Pagano said. “That’s what leaders do. He’s going to say things to get us going. I’m definitely proud of the way he’s used his voice. Our guys listen to him.”

As Merriman grows as a person, he’s also showing that he’s continuing to develop as a player. While he still figures to be amongst the league leaders in sacks, his understanding of the defense will also allow him to help in other areas. Earlier this week, he dropped into zone coverage and intercepted a pass during a 7-on-7 drill. Following practice, Head Coach Norv Turner smiled and told reporters he liked the play but also feels pretty good about Merriman rushing the passer. Still, the play served as an example for how he’s grown.

“He’s really getting more mature in his understanding of the game,” Pagano said. “He looks the same physically as he always has. He knows blocking schemes. He knows how they’re going to attack him. He’s obviously still going to get after the quarterback, but his abilities allow him to do a lot of different things. You have to mix it up a little bit to keep people honest.”

Teammates claim that Merriman hasn’t seemed very different, but they commend his commitment.

“Shawne is just a good guy,” tackle Marcus McNeill said. “Sometimes the dancing and things energize us, but if he believes it’s going to be better for us as a team, that says a lot about him. It’s obvious that he wants to win really badly. We all do.”

Added Pagano, “He’s still going to be the Shawne Merriman that everyone wants to see. He’s going to make plays. He’s continued to grow into his position and as a professional.”

Although he’s asked on several occasions, Merriman refuses to set a goal for a number of sacks he hopes to reach this season. He simply has his sights on being the best he can and helping those around him do the same.

“We’ve got an opportunity to accomplish some great things as a team,” Merriman said. “We all understand that. I just want to be a part of it. That’s what’s more important to me right now.”

Thanks to Bantx for the cool sig.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21
sdpads24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:53 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpads24 View Post
As we all know Shawne Merriman is a very controversial player. Im glad to see that he's on the right track to be one of the greatest ever, though I am disappointed he won't be doing his sack dance anymore. Sorry I spelled his name wrong in the title.Link
That sucks, I loved seein/impersonating the dance...

But I guess it means he's starting to mature as a person. It's probably best he does too, he's gonna be under a microscope all season, and the last thing he needs is an egomaniac title glued to him, like a T.O....best for the team I guess..

Edit: I say he keeps it at least for the New England game...

Last edited by JK17 : 08-09-2007 at 11:56 PM.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:48 PM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
That sucks, I loved seein/impersonating the dance...

But I guess it means he's starting to mature as a person. It's probably best he does too, he's gonna be under a microscope all season, and the last thing he needs is an egomaniac title glued to him, like a T.O....best for the team I guess..

Edit: I say he keeps it at least for the New England game...

I wish he wasnt mature, because i love watching the egomaniac..

btw, how often would you say you impersonate the dance.. jw..

sig by bosanac01
Average OT LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:49 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average OT LB View Post
I wish he wasnt mature, because i love watching the egomaniac..

btw, how often would you say you impersonate the dance.. jw..
Just about every single day...haha

Well maybe not...but at least when he makes a sweet play
Old 08-14-2007, 04:15 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am soooo glad the lights out dance is gone.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:56 PM    (permalink
sdpads24
Veteran

sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
Thats because your a packer fan. I'm sure if a packer player decided to stop doing his signature dance then you would be kind of disappointed aswell.

Thanks to Bantx for the cool sig.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21
sdpads24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:39 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
Yeah, but unfortunately for Favre, the player is still there :)
Old 08-14-2007, 08:37 PM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.

Merriman didnt say that he would never do it again.. and he didnt really say that he wouldnt do it this season..

basically he said he was putting it on the shelf... the dance isnt gone - or at least thats waht ive come to understand

sig by bosanac01
Old 08-21-2007, 02:43 PM    (permalink
HoopsDemon12
Pro Bowler

HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.

Mna i loved that thing... those kinda things got me jacked up as a player.. i was that kind of player when ever i made a play... i hope he brings it back sometime... maybe he will when he will in a tight game where he see's his team needs a boost?

Sig By Diehardvikingfan
HoopsDemon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:26 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Merriman's sack dance should integrate a needle and a vial.
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:16 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
Oh man. That was a good one. I doubt anyone in this forum has ever heard that one before. Very neccesary post, I'm glad you brought it up in the Chargers team forum. Very neccesary.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:52 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

JoeMontainya needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Oh man. That was a good one. I doubt anyone in this forum has ever heard that one before. Very neccesary post, I'm glad you brought it up in the Chargers team forum. Very neccesary.
It amazes me that this cheater was aloud to play in the pro bowl after a 4 game steroid suspension.

To bad Wimbley didnt take illegal drugs, maybe he would have had 17 sacks as a rookie.
JoeMontainya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:44 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

u can hate merriman steriods or not hes one of the best LB's in the game

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:51 AM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
i gotta give this one credit, if i werent a charger fan thats something id like to have thought of to say....

but i am a charger fan and i like merriman... If he goes out and repeats his clean rookie year preformance, his clean first few games (he tested okay before the season) or his clean last few games (he tested okay after the suspension) then i guess we still have hte best pass rushing LB in the entire league.

sig by bosanac01
Old 08-24-2007, 02:55 AM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMontainya View Post
It amazes me that this cheater was aloud to play in the pro bowl after a 4 game steroid suspension.

To bad Wimbley didnt take illegal drugs, maybe he would have had 17 sacks as a rookie.

I agree, i think if wimbley took steroids 17 would easily have been reachable - in 16 games.

sig by bosanac01
Old 08-24-2007, 03:24 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Allowed, not aloud. But it's a valid point. You shouldn't be able to play in the Pro Bowl unless you're clean. It is not too bad Wimbley didn't take drugs. I like Wimbley, I don't want his name tarnished by something like that for a couple of extra sacks.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:10 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:

You know Merriman isn't the only big name to have failed a substance test...see Julius Peppers.

And I wasn't even debating that if he did take the steroids it helped his performance, but there's no need to come trolling in a Chargers forum (robertinbigd), in a thread thats been dead for a couple days, and give a cheap one line shot at Merriman...what possible thing can that add to the conversation.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:12 PM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Quote:
You know Merriman isn't the only big name to have failed a substance test...see Julius Peppers.

And I wasn't even debating that if he did take the steroids it helped his performance, but there's no need to come trolling in a Chargers forum (robertinbigd), in a thread thats been dead for a couple days, and give a cheap one line shot at Merriman...what possible thing can that add to the conversation.
peppers failed a test?

sig by bosanac01
Old 08-24-2007, 06:16 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
peppers failed a test?
Early in his career....
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag... 4C0A9659C8B63

its just one of the first links i could find...
the point is, his was taken for what he said it was, "an accident" which it very well could have been. but people are so critical of Merriman, some even saying Peppers is such a better player because he's clean, which, although ephedra is not steroids, its a banned supplement nonetheless. That's ccheating too.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:53 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

If there was ever a time for him to bring back the dance....

Anything to put some life into the team...Could it spark more intensity on defense?
Old 09-27-2007, 02:56 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If there was ever a time for him to bring back the dance....

Anything to put some life into the team...Could it spark more intensity on defense?
Maybe it's what propelled LT to his godly season....
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:58 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
Maybe it's what propelled LT to his godly season....
Just sayin, seems to me like its something that could spark some life into the defense...it can't make them be any more dead then they already are playing..

He's a leader on this team, and he's got a responsibility to do whatever is in his power to get this team ready to play. He's the only one I've seen show any life this season so far when it really mattered...
Old 09-27-2007, 03:51 PM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Quote:
Just sayin, seems to me like its something that could spark some life into the defense...it can't make them be any more dead then they already are playing..

He's a leader on this team, and he's got a responsibility to do whatever is in his power to get this team ready to play. He's the only one I've seen show any life this season so far when it really mattered...
yeah but what can a simple dance do? its nothing really, i doubt it can spark anything into the players of today..

sig by bosanac01
Old 09-27-2007, 06:47 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
yeah but what can a simple dance do? its nothing really, i doubt it can spark anything into the players of today..
It'll at least do something to spark some intensity on the defense...it's a chain effect, you see one player getting fired up, playing hard, you step it up for that guy.

What's the worst that happens, does the defense play worse? I doubt it.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:38 PM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Quote:
It'll at least do something to spark some intensity on the defense...it's a chain effect, you see one player getting fired up, playing hard, you step it up for that guy.

What's the worst that happens, does the defense play worse? I doubt it.
maybe shawne realizes that all his teammates are multimillionares and they dont get sparked very often.. and that he doesnt want to do thedance for the same reasons he stopped..

sig by bosanac01