Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:19 AM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles own the NFC East View Post
total yards wouldnt be so hard but rushing yards overall thats a far fetched goal there.
Yeah, not hard at all. What with it never being done in the history of the game.
Should be simple.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:28 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
Yeah, not hard at all. What with it never being done in the history of the game.
Should be simple.
really? never been done before? Suddenly it seems a lot more far-fetched that he'll do it, lol....To be honest, I wouldnt be surprised if Jackson never even comes close to matching the receivers numbers he put up in 06 again in his career. I need to see him do it for another year before I believe he is the kind of receiver those numbers make him out to be, because those are Faulk-esque type receiving numbers and Jackson didnt have a whole lot of rep for his receiving skills coming into the league, he was a big, bruising runner......Now thats not to say he cant be a great receiver, but Im not sure I completely buy it yet, I dont know if he can make as many huge plays as a receiver as he did in the past, part of it could be teams not respecting him as a receiver out of the backfield because after all he is a big bruising runner not a Reggie Bush/Marshall Faulk/Tiki Barber mold of running back....Quite honestly, if Jackson is indeed the type of receiver those numbers of his indicate, and you add that to his ability as a power runner, then we are looking at one of the greatest backs ever.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:18 PM    (permalink
Seasonticketholder
Veteran

Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know most people will disagree, but I truly believe that Reggie Bush will come close to getting 2500 yards this season. Late last season, he made drastic improvements as a runner. This year, he's faster (as silly as that may be to believe) and he's doing a superb job of showing he can be an effective runner between the tackles. I can see him getting over 1000 yards rushing this season. The Saints have already indicated that they plan to give him more carries in the running game. Also, the Saints are using him more as a WR. Last year, he was catching swing passes out the backfield. This year, the Saints have running WR routes. The other night against Buffalo showed a glimpse of what you can expect from him. That said, I think he will join Roger Craig and Marshall Faulk as the only running backs to get 1000 rushing and receiving.

Getting to exactly 2500 yards might be difficult but Bush could come very close. To get to 2500 yards, a player needs to average 156.25 yards per game. That's not easy but it is possible. For Bush, it will depend on how much he carries the ball. I won't be surprised if he gets 200+ carries and there has been some speculation that he might end up with more carries by season's end than Deuce. So far, he's been averaging 5.8 yards this preseason. I won't even argue that he will keep that up when the real games begin but you can expect him to be right around 5 yards or a tad more. Last year in the final 8, he was at 4.8 and in the final month, 5.1. So, it remains to be seen but all I am saying is do not be surprised if he threatens Faulk's record and possibly 2500 yards.
Seasonticketholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:32 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasonticketholder View Post
I know most people will disagree, but I truly believe that Reggie Bush will come close to getting 2500 yards this season. Late last season, he made drastic improvements as a runner. This year, he's faster (as silly as that may be to believe) and he's doing a superb job of showing he can be an effective runner between the tackles. I can see him getting over 1000 yards rushing this season. The Saints have already indicated that they plan to give him more carries in the running game. Also, the Saints are using him more as a WR. Last year, he was catching swing passes out the backfield. This year, the Saints have running WR routes. The other night against Buffalo showed a glimpse of what you can expect from him. That said, I think he will join Roger Craig and Marshall Faulk as the only running backs to get 1000 rushing and receiving.
Hmm...lets break this one down. You expect him to get over 1000 yards rushing, while splitting carries with Deuce. Let's be generous and even give him 1200 yards rushing, amazing for a second year guy, whose splitting carries. Now you expect him to get 1300 yards receiving as well, when even the top wide receivers in the league struggle to do that well?!? Really? As a second year running back you think he'll get enough touches to do that? I'm sure he's going to get a bunch of passes but I sure would be suprised if he approaches 90 catches again this year, but if he does, he's not getting as many carries either. Not to mention, him hitting 2500 total yards, is something that no one in the history of the NFL has ever done...you expect him to do more then both LT and Steven Jackson today, or something even Barry Sanders or Marshall Faulk never did? Not to mention that last year, even with 88 catches, unheard of for such an inexperienced running back, he only got 742 yards receiving...how much do you expect that to go up, assuming he even does catch 100 balls? At his rate of yards per catch, he would need 154 catches, approximately, to hit 1300 yards receiving...good luck with that. Not to mention, even giving him about 200 carries this year, he would need a 6.0 ypc average to get the 1200 rushing yards anyway. Good Luck.

Quote:
Getting to exactly 2500 yards might be difficult but Bush could come very close. To get to 2500 yards, a player needs to average 156.25 yards per game. That's not easy but it is possible. For Bush, it will depend on how much he carries the ball. I won't be surprised if he gets 200+ carries and there has been some speculation that he might end up with more carries by season's end than Deuce. So far, he's been averaging 5.8 yards this preseason. I won't even argue that he will keep that up when the real games begin but you can expect him to be right around 5 yards or a tad more. Last year in the final 8, he was at 4.8 and in the final month, 5.1. So, it remains to be seen but all I am saying is do not be surprised if he threatens Faulk's record and possibly 2500 yards.
Well jeez they only need to average 156.25 yards per game? If its so easy why haven't players like Tomlinson and Jackson, who are much better runnners, and near the caliber receiver, if not equal to that of Reggie Bush already accomplished this? Or what about Barry Sanders the most electric player of all time? Even if Bush gets 200+ Carries like you said, assuming he can get the 1300 yards receiving, which he won't He needs to get 6.0 ypc to get 1200 rushing yards, which he will not do, not matter what his preseason yards per carry is. And despite how well he may have ended up last year, he still has trouble running between the tackles, and won't be breaking off huge runs all year long. He had a 3.6 ypc average last year you really expect that to improve by a full yard and a half or two yards in order for him to break 2500 yards?

Can we wait a little bit before annointing Reggie Bush the second coming. He's a good running back, but the only way in hell he hits 2500 yards is if he gets a whole lot of special teams work as well, but thats different then doing it with just receiving and rushing yards.

Last edited by JK17 : 08-13-2007 at 12:39 PM.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:09 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

im not gonna doubt anything when it comes to Reggie Bush, i could see him receiving for 1500 yards, and rewriting a lot of records. A lot of people dont give him credit cuz he is sharing time with Duce and hasnt put up fat numbers yet (not that his rookie numbers were at all bad) and they dont think hes a tuff enough inside runner....but he is just phenomenal in my mind and he is gonna set this league on fire soon enough
Old 08-13-2007, 01:11 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChampIsHere View Post
im not gonna doubt anything when it comes to Reggie Bush, i could see him receiving for 1500 yards, and rewriting a lot of records. A lot of people dont give him credit cuz he is sharing time with Duce and hasnt put up fat numbers yet (not that his rookie numbers were at all bad) and they dont think hes a tuff enough inside runner....but he is just phenomenal in my mind and he is gonna set this league on fire soon enough
The only way he will get 1500 yards receiving is if they actaully switch his position to WR. He just won't get enough catches to do it, if he's getting about 200+ carries as well. He would need over 100 catches to hit 1500 yards, not to mention all the other WRs down in New Orleans will be taking receptions away (Colston, Henderson, Copper, Meachem, and Eric Johnson now, will all be getting there fair share of catches).
Old 08-13-2007, 07:45 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
The only way he will get 1500 yards receiving is if they actaully switch his position to WR. He just won't get enough catches to do it, if he's getting about 200+ carries as well. He would need over 100 catches to hit 1500 yards, not to mention all the other WRs down in New Orleans will be taking receptions away (Colston, Henderson, Copper, Meachem, and Eric Johnson now, will all be getting there fair share of catches).
Im not saying he will do it now but at some point in his career he could do that. 100+ catches is something he could easily do, he could do it multiple times....He had about 90 catches this year and his playing time will only increase, 100+ catches is something that has been done and Bush is as good a receiver as Ive ever seen at HB and I watched Faulk in his prime and he was amazing but I cant positively say I feel like Faulk is better than Bush, of course Bush still has something to prove but theres not much doubt in my mind that he'll prove it...But anyways what im saying is he can get 100+ catches with his receiving ability and with his ability to run after the catch he can break off a lot of big gains and Im just saying I dont see it out of the realm of possibility that he could be a guy who has seasons where he gets 1200-1800 on the ground and 1000-1500 in the air, and I know those are unprecedented numbers for a guy to be putting up but that is how special of a player I feel like Reggie is.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:55 PM    (permalink
Seasonticketholder
Veteran

Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seasonticketholder is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Hmm...lets break this one down. You expect him to get over 1000 yards rushing, while splitting carries with Deuce. Let's be generous and even give him 1200 yards rushing, amazing for a second year guy, whose splitting carries. Now you expect him to get 1300 yards receiving as well, when even the top wide receivers in the league struggle to do that well?!? Really? As a second year running back you think he'll get enough touches to do that? I'm sure he's going to get a bunch of passes but I sure would be suprised if he approaches 90 catches again this year, but if he does, he's not getting as many carries either. Not to mention, him hitting 2500 total yards, is something that no one in the history of the NFL has ever done...you expect him to do more then both LT and Steven Jackson today, or something even Barry Sanders or Marshall Faulk never did? Not to mention that last year, even with 88 catches, unheard of for such an inexperienced running back, he only got 742 yards receiving...how much do you expect that to go up, assuming he even does catch 100 balls? At his rate of yards per catch, he would need 154 catches, approximately, to hit 1300 yards receiving...good luck with that. Not to mention, even giving him about 200 carries this year, he would need a 6.0 ypc average to get the 1200 rushing yards anyway. Good Luck.

Well jeez they only need to average 156.25 yards per game? If its so easy why haven't players like Tomlinson and Jackson, who are much better runnners, and near the caliber receiver, if not equal to that of Reggie Bush already accomplished this? Or what about Barry Sanders the most electric player of all time? Even if Bush gets 200+ Carries like you said, assuming he can get the 1300 yards receiving, which he won't He needs to get 6.0 ypc to get 1200 rushing yards, which he will not do, not matter what his preseason yards per carry is. And despite how well he may have ended up last year, he still has trouble running between the tackles, and won't be breaking off huge runs all year long. He had a 3.6 ypc average last year you really expect that to improve by a full yard and a half or two yards in order for him to break 2500 yards?

Can we wait a little bit before annointing Reggie Bush the second coming. He's a good running back, but the only way in hell he hits 2500 yards is if he gets a whole lot of special teams work as well, but thats different then doing it with just receiving and rushing yards.
You obviously do not read through posts or you did not read through this one. I said that Bush might come "close," not that he would actually get the 2500. I also said to do so you would have to average 156.25 yards and followed that up by saying that is not easy. Also, I do not think anyone is annointing Bush. But it is not a stretch to say that he could challenge Faulk's single season all-purpose yards record and also 2500 yards. Does not mean he will get it, but if you could see Bush this year in training camp, you would understand how my statements here are being informed. It seems like night and day as compared with last year around this time and definitely seems as if he has picked up where he left off.

Finally, Bush should not only approach 90 catches, but easily surpass it. Joe Horn is gone. Bush will be expected to pick up more of the receiving load. Again, if you knew what was going on with the Saints, you would know where my statements are coming from. The Saints fully plan to put the ball in his hands more both rushing and receiving. And the local beatwriter for the team has suggested that Bush could not only end up with more touches at the end of the season than Deuce, but also more carries at Payton wants Bush to be the "man" this year.
Seasonticketholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:35 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Seasonticketholder = owned.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:46 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2500 yards from scrimmage is a remarkable feat, and I don't like S-Jax's chances of reaching it. Reggie Bush, much less so (barring a monumental increase in touches, maybe).
Old 08-13-2007, 09:09 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reggie Bush hasn't proved jack, let alone possibly getting 2500 yards. Sure he might. So can Travis Henry. While we're at it, Cutler's gonna break every single season record this year. And our defense will not allow a single point.

Bottom line, Reggie's rushing averages include end arounds from the WR position, a luxury others don't have, and he still couldn't break a 20-yarder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:20 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

One thing about Bush is I dont think there has ever been a player quite as special as him. You can look at someone like Faulk who has an incredible skill set like Bush in that he is a great runner with great instincts, work ethic, receiving skills, understanding of the game, etc....but as great as Faulk was, he wasnt the explosive playmaker Bush is, and thats not a knock on Faulk but just out of all the guys Ive ever seen there are only a few backs who can measure up to Bush in terms of just flat out explosive playmaking ability....Barry Sanders and Gale Sayers come to mind. But neither of those guys had the receiving skills of Bush, they werent as versatile as Bush, who is right there with Faulk (who is bar-none the most versatile back in NFL history)...hes not as good of a blocker as Faulk and probably never will be but my point is he has the incredible amount of SKILL comprabable to Faulk and the incredible TALENT/PLAYMAKING ABILITY comprabable to Barry Sanders....

and then the final point is being in a good situation. Faulk was in a great situation with guys like Vermeil and Martz coaching him, Kurt Warner, Orlando Pace, Isaac Bruce, etc on his offense, it was a great situation. Then you take someone like Barry Sanders who had all the ability in the world and did great things but he could have done a lot more if he had a supporting cast....In Bush' case, he is in a great situation, good OL, pro-bowl QB, other good skill players like Deuce (perfect complement to him), Colston, etc, and then one of the games best young offensive minds coaching him. It really is an incredible situation for him and if you think about the amount of pure talent he has in addition to his skill set and the fact that he is a high character dude with a strong work ethic and good attitude....I really think he can do some things that havent been done. So when we look at some numbers that people are ruling out because they havent been done before by other players, im not gonna rule it out for Bush because I just feel like the sky is the limit for him. I look at what he did in his rookie season and watching the games I was incredibly impressed and the way I see it, its only the tip of the iceberg. Watch him for one game and its obvious that he is a special, once in a lifetime type player, just the way he moves....Consider that hes just gonna get better and cultivate more skills, get better at running inside, learn how to channel his ability/take what the defense gives him, set up his long runs, hes just gonna get better and better, be more dominant. To be honest, I am just excited to watch him throughout his career.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:27 PM    (permalink
Jonathan_VIlma
Pro Bowler

Jonathan_VIlma hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think that is a completely false statement, in that many guys are/were versatile enough to play the role that Bush plays to the Saints. The only difference is, that Bush can't take the beating, carrying the ball on every down so they HAVE to use him in differenct ways. I'd say Sanders, Faulk, and players of the likes could easily lineup as a receiver and take the places in which Bush takes, but their coaching staffs recognized that they were better served getting the ball out of the backfield.

Don't get me wrong, Bush is a playmaker. But to say that no one has ever had his skillset or versatility is mildly unnerving.

Designs by Thule
Jonathan_VIlma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:30 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You obviously do not read through posts or you did not read through this one. I said that Bush might come "close," not that he would actually get the 2500. I also said to do so you would have to average 156.25 yards and followed that up by saying that is not easy. Also, I do not think anyone is annointing Bush. But it is not a stretch to say that he could challenge Faulk's single season all-purpose yards record and also 2500 yards. Does not mean he will get it, but if you could see Bush this year in training camp, you would understand how my statements here are being informed. It seems like night and day as compared with last year around this time and definitely seems as if he has picked up where he left off.
Whether you said come close, or surpass is irrelevant, the thought of Bush approaching 2500 yards this season is so absurd it does not deserve merit either way. If I could see Bush in training camp I would think differently? Really? No I don't think seeing Reggie Bush practice would convince me that he is going to apporach records set by Marshall Faulk, a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame. If we were judging players based on what their fans say they looked like in training camp, Vincent Jackson is the next Jerry Rice, and Eric Weddle takes over for Ed Reed right now. Everyone has good reports in Training Camp by their fans, especially the fan favorites.

Quote:
Finally, Bush should not only approach 90 catches, but easily surpass it. Joe Horn is gone. Bush will be expected to pick up more of the receiving load. Again, if you knew what was going on with the Saints, you would know where my statements are coming from. The Saints fully plan to put the ball in his hands more both rushing and receiving. And the local beatwriter for the team has suggested that Bush could not only end up with more touches at the end of the season than Deuce, but also more carries at Payton wants Bush to be the "man" this year.
I think what you're trying to say is if I was wearing tinted-Saints glasses I would be able to see why Bush will approach 2500 yards. I already explained how unrealistic it is to think Bush will approach a combination of those numbers, no matter how much the New Orleans beat writer thinks he'll be "the man". Unless he's catching about 150 passes, and getting 250 rushes, he's not touching any records. But if you think he can catch 150 balls for 8 yards per catch, and rush it 250 times for about 5 ypc, when no other back in the history of the NFL has done it before, be ready to be disapointed this season.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:42 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_VIlma View Post
I think that is a completely false statement, in that many guys are/were versatile enough to play the role that Bush plays to the Saints. The only difference is, that Bush can't take the beating, carrying the ball on every down so they HAVE to use him in differenct ways. I'd say Sanders, Faulk, and players of the likes could easily lineup as a receiver and take the places in which Bush takes, but their coaching staffs recognized that they were better served getting the ball out of the backfield.

Don't get me wrong, Bush is a playmaker. But to say that no one has ever had his skillset or versatility is mildly unnerving.
Im saying I dont know who has had the same combination of skills and talent. Faulk had all the skills but I think Bush is a greater talent and guys like Sanders and Sayers who have Bush's talent I dont think have the same receiving skills as Bush. Its an arguable point, but I think there is a case to be made for it.

And where does this whole Bush cant carry the load thing come from? Has he ever actually not been able to carry the load? Are we really gonna hold it against him that he had Lendale White and now Deuce on his team? Its not like Reggie is too small to be a full-time back or anything, plenty of backs who were more of scatbacks than inside runners managed to be productive full-time starters in this league I dont see why we would say Reggie cant do it. Its just that hes been on teams with good power backs to complement him and coaches who recognized his incredible talent and took advantage of it by using him in a variety of roles because with a playmaker like him you can do that. Thats a big part of what makes Reggie great, he can line up in a different place every down and be a menacing presence wherever hes at. Dont hold that against him. It makes him a nightmare for DCs.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:52 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Tomlinson or Westbrook weren't the best RBs on their team, they'd line up in the slot too. The reason Bush doesn't line up behind the QB often is simple. He's not as good as Deuce.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-14-2007, 12:15 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlerChris View Post
If Tomlinson or Westbrook weren't the best RBs on their team, they'd line up in the slot too. The reason Bush doesn't line up behind the QB often is simple. He's not as good as Deuce.
thats one hell of an assumption. Did Sean Payton tell you that personally or something? Maybe its because Payton recognizes he has 2 great backs and he wants to use them both and thus he puts Reggie all over the place because he is an absolutely menacing presence while doing this and while doing it still allowing Deuce to get touches. Not to mention Bush was a rookie last year, why would Payton want to push too much on him in his rookie year like that? The time will come when Deuce will be a FA and the Saints wont spend big bucks to keep him because they wont want to tie up so much money at one position. Reggie Bush will be the man then, he'll carry the full load. Sure, theyll bring in another power back to complement him, just because every running back needs a good backup in this day and age, but he wont demand the carries that Deuce does. (bottom line is if you have a pro-bowl type back like Deuce with his kind of talent and great attitude in his prime, you give him carries, no matter who else is on the team. And Sean Payton has done a great job of handling the situation of having 2 pro bowl type backs on his team and utilizing them both well)...Even with Deuce there, with every season Reggie will get more responsibility.

I cant understand these people ripping Reggie and acting like hes no big deal after his rookie year. He obviously showed what he is capable of, as he flat out took over some games this year and he played better and better as the year wore on. Notice in December he averaged 5.1 yards/carry. A lot of people rip him b/c of his ypc of 3.6, but if you look at it LT averaged 3.6 ypc his rookie season, rookies HBs who immediately have a major role in their offense often dont have great ypcs right away. Reggie piled up 1300 all-purpose yards, was a centerpiece of an elite offensive unit (best in terms of ypg, 5th in ppg), as NO was the surprise team of the year. I mean it was the tip of the iceberg and considering Bush's flashes of dominance throughout his rookie season there isnt much reason not to expect great things.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:21 AM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

His ypc is inflated by his ability to take end arounds, a luxury, as I said, the other backs don't have. And in what universe is Reggie a "pro bowl type back"? He hasn't done squat. He looks like he might become something good, but he is not "pro bowl type" yet. I thought all the Reggie nut huggers went away when he didn't average 8 ypc and get 50 TDs last year, guess I was wrong. You really think he's better than a guy who could make a case for best ever in Tomlinson? Or a surefire HOF in Faulk? Wait till he breaks a run over 20 yards, and averages 4 ypc while taking handoffs from behind the QB instead of from the WR position.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-14-2007, 12:24 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChampIsHere View Post
I cant understand these people ripping Reggie and acting like hes no big deal after his rookie year. He obviously showed what he is capable of, as he flat out took over some games this year and he played better and better as the year wore on. Notice in December he averaged 5.1 yards/carry. A lot of people rip him b/c of his ypc of 3.6, but if you look at it LT averaged 3.6 ypc his rookie season, rookies HBs who immediately have a major role in their offense often dont have great ypcs right away. Reggie piled up 1300 all-purpose yards, was a centerpiece of an elite offensive unit (best in terms of ypg, 5th in ppg), as NO was the surprise team of the year. I mean it was the tip of the iceberg and considering Bush's flashes of dominance throughout his rookie season there isnt much reason not to expect great things.
I really don't think anyone is acting like Reggie Bush is no big deal, but he's being celebrated way to early. 2500 yards is ridiculous, he won't get there, no one will next year, its never been done before for a reason. He got 1300 all purpose yards last year like you said, but its not a stretch for him to double that? Really?

Also if your comparing his ability to LT it's kinda importnat to look at the difference in offenses they were playing in. LT got 3.6 ypc when he was the only player on that team, literally the only offensive threat at all, with no line whatsoever. Reggie had the benefit of a good O-Line, another great back to compliment him, an All-Pro Quarterback, and some great WRs, which really makes their situations uncomparable.

As far as the offense he is in, that's more of a knock against him I would think. Last year, the Saints had the most prolific offense in terms of yardage in the league, and he still only had 1300 all purpose yards. Is it really that realistic that he will be able to add even 1000 yards to an offense that already led the league in yardage? How much room do they have to grow? If anything a downfall should be expected from the whole team in terms of yardage.

In conclusion, I don't think anyone is doubting Bush will do great things, but some of the things being said here, like 2500 total yards, or 1500 receiving yards as well as 1200 or mroe rushing yards, just won't happen, no matter whose doing them. No matter how "explosive" Bush is, he's not the threat Tomlinson or Jackson are at this point. Both those guys are explosive receivers as well, Tomlinson is arguably just as good a threat as Bush, but none of those guys will do it either. Bush will do great things, but he's not gonna receive for 1500 yards, or break 2500 total yards, or he hasn't given enough indication he'll do so yet at least.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:28 AM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

If anyone would do it though, I'd think it would be Tomlinson. He could lead the league in rushing(say, 18-1900 yards) and if any WR or Gates gets banged up, he's even more a threat in the passing game. It's unlikely anyone does, but if I had a gun to my head, most likely would be Tomlinson.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-14-2007, 12:30 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
If anyone would do it though, I'd think it would be Tomlinson. He could lead the league in rushing(say, 18-1900 yards) and if any WR or Gates gets banged up, he's even more a threat in the passing game. It's unlikely anyone does, but if I had a gun to my head, most likely would be Tomlinson.
Jeez, first you complimented Rivers, now you're saying if anyone could do it it's LT....

sure you're not a closet SD fan?

:p
Old 08-14-2007, 12:33 AM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Jeez, first you complimented Rivers, now you're saying if anyone could do it it's LT....

sure you're not a closet SD fan?

:p
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Gross, man. I'd never ever cheer for the Chargers. They could be fighting Satan's army of darkness that would plunge the earth into eternal darkness and suffering and I would be the one shouting "SATAN YEAH YOU'RE NUMBER ONE!!!". They just happen to have an excellent RB and very good QB.

*ahem*

Shawne Merriman is a roid monkey, the baby blue uniforms denote their homosexuality, Charger fans are like herpes: They pop in and out of existence.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-14-2007, 12:36 AM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Can we wait a little bit before annointing Reggie Bush the second coming.
Apparently its too late.

Well if we're making absurd and ridiculous predictions, Prescott Burgess will have 30 sacks this year. I'm mean since Reggie Bush can come close to 2500 yards since he's having a good training camp then Burgess can have 30 sacks because he's having a great training camp.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:36 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

Quote:
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Gross, man. I'd never ever cheer for the Chargers. They could be fighting Satan's army of darkness that would plunge the earth into eternal darkness and suffering and I would be the one shouting "SATAN YEAH YOU'RE NUMBER ONE!!!". They just happen to have an excellent RB and very good QB.

*ahem*

Shawne Merriman is a roid monkey, the baby blue uniforms denote their homosexuality, Charger fans are like herpes: They pop in and out of existence.
Haha fair enough...Although I thought we'd get some support if we were fighting satan.

Eh...John Elway was just an average quarterback who got lucky late in his career... ....best I could come up with.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:38 AM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Haha fair enough...Although I thought we'd get some support if we were fighting satan.

Eh...John Elway was just an average quarterback who got lucky late in his career... ....best I could come up with.
I would have taken the John Elway was nothing without Terrell Davis shot, but hey thats just me. :D

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote