Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:20 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Best backup team?

preseason games have gotten me thinking about this, if were talking about which teams backups would make the best starting lineup who does it go? I think I have to vote the Chargers, look at the offense.

QB: Volek
HB: Michael Turner, Darren Sproles
WR: Malcolm Floyd, Eric Parker, Osgood (Im calling Davis the starter)
TE: Manumaluena, Chandler
OL: Oben, Mrucowzki, Withrow

DL: Bingham, Cesaire
LB: Polk, Dobbins, Waters, Harris
DB: Cromartie, Jue, Weddle

Im not bothering to mention everyone but as you can see some pretty damn good players who are backups for the Chargers

and also, look at my Raiders. yes, they seem better because i know their backups better than I do other teams, but still I have to say we have a pretty deep team.

QB: Culpepper?
HB: Rhodes, Fargas, Michael Bush
FB: Crockett
WR: Gabriel, Mike Williams, Taylor, Higgins
TE: Madsen, Stewart
OL: Newberry, Boothe, McQuistan, Mario Henderson, Chad Slaughter

DL: Brayton, Moses, Hawthorne
LB: Robert Thomas, Ekejiuba
DB: Darius, Routt, Carr, Bowie, Frampton, Ward, Starks, Branch.................its a mystery who is gonna make the roster at DB for us...weve got 7 CBs and 7 safeties who all have a pretty decent shot at it and when BJ Ward and Hiram Eugene are the stars of our first preseason game it doesnt help clear matters up at all.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:23 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

What? A Raiders fan giving credit to San Diego?...unheard of..

Seriosuly though, San Diego does have good backups, but I'm not going to pretend I know enough about every other teams' backups that I can speak with any kind of authority on this.

All I can say is San Diego has some good backups, and I'm sure a whole lot of other teams do also.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:23 AM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How can the raiders have good backups when their starters are atrocious?

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:24 AM    (permalink
JF4
Pro Bowler

JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Chargers definately have good depth.

The Bears have very good depth also.

Now only if they had a QB;)

stephenson86
JF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:34 AM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont wanna sound like a homer, but the Bears have some pretty damn good depth

QB: Griese, Orton
RB: Adrian Peterson
FB: Mr Suspended 4 games
WR: Bradley, Hester, Hass, Rideau, Rashied Davis
TE: Desmond Clark, John Gilmore
OT: John St. Clair
G: Terrence Metcalf, Beekman *unproven
C: Patrick Manelly

DE: ALex Brown, Isreal Idonije
DT: Anthony Adams, Dusty Dvorchek, ANtonio Garay
LB: Jamar Williams, Ayenbadejo, Leon Joe, Rod Wilson
CB: Ricky Manning Jr.
S: Daniel Manning, Brandon Mcgowan, Payne

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:37 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
How can the raiders have good backups when their starters are atrocious?
well it can be a problem when your starters arent much better than your backups lol....

Nah seriously though the Raiders got some great starters on defense, but if you look on offense, a lot of positions, the starters arent a whole lot better than the backups...
QB: Starter: McCown
backups: Culpepper, Walter, Russell
comment: I may very well like McCown the least of the 4 of them
HB: Starter: Jordan
backups: Rhodes, Fargas, Michael Bush
comment: read QB comment
WR: Starters: Porter, Curry
backups: Mike Williams, Travis Taylor, Higgins, Whitted, Gabriel....
comment: in this case our 2 starters really are a cut above the rest, none of the others have proven anything really at the NFL level.
TE: starter: Zach miller
backups: Madsen, Stewart
comment: Miller is a good rookie and Im loving him, I like Madsens upside but yes I really do think Miller is gonna be a huge upgrade for us at TE over Courtney Anderson from last year
OL: Starters: Sims, Gallery, Grove, Carlisle, Cornell Green
backups: Mario Henderson, Boothe, Newberry, McQuistan, Chad Slaughter
comment: I cant wait for Mario Henderson to be ready to take over for that bum Sims, Gallery is a massive dissapointment and I have no idea if he'll do well at guard but I do know Boothe was a bright spot on this OL last year. Carlisle does add some consistency and I like that from him. At C, I am just hoping Newberry will be healthy enough to take over Grove, another bust...and I really just dont know much about Cornell Green but he cracked the starting lineup when we decided that Gallery couldnt cut it at OT and slid him inside to guard.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:44 AM    (permalink
Cashmoney
Pro Bowler

Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.

i thought this thread was gonna be like you make a team out of back up players on every team. not just one teams back ups. that wouldve been cool.
Cashmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:20 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not going to be a homer and say the Bucs even though, like everyone else, I am biased towards my own team so i'll just say the Pats have some pretty decent depth, particularly on the offensive line.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:48 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashmoneydrew View Post
i thought this thread was gonna be like you make a team out of back up players on every team. not just one teams back ups. that wouldve been cool.
go ahead and do that if you want....the all-star backup team lol

QB: Garrard
HB: Michael Turner, Maurice Drew, Marion Barber
WR: Mike Furrey, Chris Henry, Patrick Crayton, Drew Bennett
TE: Tony Scheffler, Desmond Clark
OT: Roman Oben, Maurice Williams
OG: Ben Grubbs, David Baas
C: Jeremy Newberry

DE: Mark Anderson, Robert Mathis, Jarvis Green
DT: Ian Scott, Darwin Walker, Alan Branch
LB: Kendrell Bell, James Harrison, Patrick Willis, Bobby Carpenter
DB: Stuart Schweigert, Jimmy Williams, Dominique Foxworth, Richard Marshall, Merriweather, Adam Archuleta
Old 08-13-2007, 04:22 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChampIsHere View Post

QB: Garrard
HB: Michael Turner, Maurice Drew, Marion Barber
WR: Mike Furrey, Chris Henry, Patrick Crayton, Drew Bennett
TE: Tony Scheffler, Desmond Clark
OT: Roman Oben, Maurice Williams
OG: Ben Grubbs, David Baas
C: Jeremy Newberry

DT: Ian Scott, Darwin Walker, Alan Branch
LB: Kendrell Bell, James Harrison, Patrick Willis, Bobby Carpenter
DB: Stuart Schweigert, Jimmy Williams, Dominique Foxworth, Richard Marshall, Merriweather, Adam Archuleta
I personally don't believe rookies should be anywhere near this sort of list. At least not untill they play a few regular season games.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:33 AM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i thought Stuart Schweigert and Tony Scheffler were both starters

KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:34 AM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i would put Joe Klopfenstein as the Tight End

Old 08-13-2007, 04:36 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
I personally don't believe rookies should be anywhere near this sort of list. At least not untill they play a few regular season games.
well i hear what youre saying and I was thinking the same thing myself but there are rookies who have the kind of talent that only stays on the bench in rookie years unless they are busts of course...some of the guys i mentioned like Patrick Willis and Merriweather not to mention guys like Adrian Peterson, I think they are all stars in the making but just landed on a team in a situation where they have to ride the bench for a minute.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:37 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCJ58 View Post
i thought Stuart Schweigert and Tony Scheffler were both starters
the way Im hearing it their starting jobs are being taken by Donovin Darius and Daniel Graham
Old 08-13-2007, 04:41 AM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

o yea i forgot about those signings my bad :)

Old 08-13-2007, 05:51 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This thread is gonna be nothing but a complete homerfest by tomorrow afternoon.

Seriously. Most fans just assert that so-and-so on their team is among the best backups in the league at his position.

And David Garrard should not be at the top of any sort of "Best" list unless we're talking about players that are the best at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:17 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post

Seriously. Most fans just assert that so-and-so on their team is among the best backups in the league at his position.

And David Garrard should not be at the top of any sort of "Best" list unless we're talking about players that are the best at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
In other news, I could definitely make a case for the Jaguars for being the best, but never mind.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:08 AM    (permalink
cardsalltheway
Veteran

cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.

Quote:

Robert Mathis is a starter

Designs by D-Unit

ILEMTPKC - I Love Eli Manning <The Patriots Killer> Club
cardsalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:05 AM    (permalink
rchrd
Veteran

rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I thought it might be some sort of all nfl back up team but oh well, I suppose that isnt immune to the homerfest either.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:21 AM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearfan View Post
I dont wanna sound like a homer, but the Bears have some pretty damn good depth

QB: Griese, Orton
RB: Adrian Peterson
FB: Mr Suspended 4 games
WR: Bradley, Hester, Hass, Rideau, Rashied Davis
TE: Desmond Clark, John Gilmore
OT: John St. Clair
G: Terrence Metcalf, Beekman *unproven
C: Patrick Manelly

DE: ALex Brown, Isreal Idonije
DT: Anthony Adams, Dusty Dvorchek, ANtonio Garay
LB: Jamar Williams, Ayenbadejo, Leon Joe, Rod Wilson
CB: Ricky Manning Jr.
S: Daniel Manning, Brandon Mcgowan, Payne
the dline back-up for the bears is crazy

but yes chargers has some very nice backups especially at the RB position probably one of the best combos, behind duece and reggie

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:50 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm impressed someone other than a Steelers fan gave James Harrison some credit.

But its the Chargers if we are talking about a complete team. They have several people as backups that could easily be starters on other teams. Billy volek is a solid backu qb and turner is the best back up runningback in the game. They have good oline depth and there recievers are decent aswell.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Last edited by Smooth Criminal : 08-13-2007 at 10:55 AM.
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:54 AM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only Browns players that I would even give consideration for this would be: C Hank Fraley, TE Steve Heiden, ILB Leon Williams and CB Gary Baxter(If Eric Wright starts which will probably happen.)
Old 08-13-2007, 12:22 PM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.

Quote:
.....Maybe for punt protector.

And no mention of Betts yet? I think him or Turner would be the best bet.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:48 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

Quote:

yea, it could turn into a homerfest...if it happens it happens nothing I can do about it, its still fun this time of year to talk about the top backups on teams, a lot of them will actually become starters during the season and possibly have breakout years.

And while Garrard had some bad moments last year (Titans game comes to mind), hes still a damn good backup QB. Who do you think is better?
Old 08-13-2007, 12:49 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We just had this thread, it was "What Team Has the Besst Depth" or something. Taking the best back ups from around the NFL and making a team would be much better.