Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:27 AM    (permalink
PittPete
Rookie

PittPete PittPete PittPete
Default O-line

After saturday nights debacle, I think we have to really be concerned about our offensive line. first of all, I think that it is more important that the unit plays as a unit, and that is more important than just individual talent(see Oakland raiders). Because Tomlin is alternating players from game to game, we are not seeing cohesion at all. We have to make some decisions quick and get these guys playing together. Secondly, we do not have a bonafide tackle on the roster. Marvell Smith is a right tackle forced to the left side where he is mediocre at best and sometimes awful. Max Starks has slow feet and cant handle any speed rushers and the way he got bulldozed back into the qb by a guy 80 lbs lighter makes me sick. Colon can do the job but is a guard forced to play tackle. Faneca is the man, but as is the case, mgmt would rather dole out heaps of cash for Okobi/Mahan than invest in a true lineman. Simmons seems to be playing with a vengeance but is still not the power blocker we need. In fact, after those short yardage disasters saturday, where is our muscle? I just love seeing our lineman on their asses. The middle of our line has no push at all, especially with Faneca out.
PittPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:49 AM    (permalink
MoMoney717

I really think we made a mistake not taking Gaither with a 4th rounder.... that would have solved so much. Expect OLine erly and often in next years draft
Old 08-14-2007, 07:29 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

fact is we are set to lose faneca, starks, and simmons after this season. Sorry but I'm not a huge believer in any of our backups other than Colon to take over. Kemoeatu is having a horrible camp according to most and we dont really have any other guard depth other than Essex and unproven rookies so I'd like to see some first day picks put into shoring up the Oline aswell.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:22 AM    (permalink
PittPete
Rookie

Next years draft is not going to do anything for either the 2007 or 2008 steelers. Last years free agency spending spree on lineman makes it seem unlikely that next year can be addressed that way either. faneca is probably going to get more money than Merv Griffin(rip). We should have signed him longterm with the money we spent on Okobi/Mahan, both of whom are mediocre at best. I agree that Colon is our only viable upcoming lineman.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:13 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMoney717 View Post
I really think we made a mistake not taking Gaither with a 4th rounder.... that would have solved so much. Expect OLine erly and often in next years draft
Uh, no. We have a better version of Gaither in Capizzi. Capizzi is a much harder worker, didn't flunk out of school.

Capizzi has every much as chance to play LT in this league as Gaither.

What we need next year is a LG and RT.

LG for Faneca, RT for Starks, let Colon play RG and we're set.

Heath Benedict Round 2 (6'6 330lb LG that runs in the 4.9's), and a guy like Jeff Otah in round 3.. he's 6'5 340lb 5.19 40' type guy that can play OG and RT.

We have too many young guys on the OL to need to go to an all OL draft.

1) DE/OLB
2) Heath Benedict, LG/LT, Newberry
3) Jeff Otah, OG/RT, Pittsburgh
4) CB/WR
5) NT
6) DE/OLB depth
7) K

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:16 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittPete View Post
Next years draft is not going to do anything for either the 2007 or 2008 steelers. Last years free agency spending spree on lineman makes it seem unlikely that next year can be addressed that way either. faneca is probably going to get more money than Merv Griffin(rip). We should have signed him longterm with the money we spent on Okobi/Mahan, both of whom are mediocre at best. I agree that Colon is our only viable upcoming lineman.
this is the common misconception.

People believe we don't have the money for Faneca. This is not true. Next year we'll be nearly 20-30M under the cap, not counting the cap increase.

We could fit him in easily, However... Is he worth Steinbach/Dockery money considering he's over 30? They offered him a 3rd contract, but it's a tad below What Steinbach and Dockery make. Which is more Faneca's fault than ours.

We offered him a pretty decent value contract considering it's his 3rd and he's past 30.. but he chose to be pissy and not take it.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:25 AM    (permalink
MoMoney717

good point I totally forgot about Capizzi... Dude has the body and foot speed. Im still not 100% sold on what we have at OLine though and definetly expect us to draft some early
Old 08-16-2007, 08:53 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

apizzi is also going to benefit from having2 years to play behind Marvel so he doesnt even have tomake the team this year. He can have a practice squad year and make the team next season to backup Smith.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:03 AM    (permalink
PittPete
Rookie

From what I've been reading, Gaither is lightsout in Baltimore. filling in at left tackle, he has superstud written all over him. Its questionable if Capizzi even makes the team. How can you compare them, at least at this point? Mcnair is comparing Gaithers to Ogden. Dissing Faneca because he wants market value is cheap, since he might be the best lineman in Steeler history. Linemen without injury problems remain productive late in their careers. Faneca is tough, smart and dedicated and I would rather have him than the whole pile of wannabes that draftnics drool over.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:05 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
From what I've been reading, Gaither is lightsout in Baltimore. filling in at left tackle, he has superstud written all over him. Its questionable if Capizzi even makes the team. How can you compare them, at least at this point? Mcnair is comparing Gaithers to Ogden. Dissing Faneca because he wants market value is cheap, since he might be the best lineman in Steeler history. Linemen without injury problems remain productive late in their careers. Faneca is tough, smart and dedicated and I would rather have him than the whole pile of wannabes that draftnics drool over.
I love Faneca, but no way I put him over Dirt or Webby.

Capizzi is more of a project because he wasn't at a D1 school.. He plays for pitt all 4 years and he's ranked as high or higher than Gaither in my opinion.

He has 2 years to red-shirt behind Marvel. Depending on his progress they'll draft for next year.

Benedict is a Gaither like Monster for LG. Replacing Faneca with someone faster, stronger and has about 20-30 lbs on him.

I like a guy like Jeff Otah for RT/RG swingman, or Barry Richardson if he falls for a mauler RT that excels at Pass pro. Or perhaps Barton who's a jack of all blocks but master or mauler of none.

I don't think the OL is in as much peril as everyone believes.

a solid 2 guys next year and we should be set for the future..

Capizzi ~ Benedict ~ Mahan ~ Colon ~ Otah/Richardson

My main concern is locking up Vernon Gholston. If he stays for his senior year.. I don't know who I take round 1.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:31 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
I love Faneca, but no way I put him over Dirt or Webby.

Capizzi is more of a project because he wasn't at a D1 school.. He plays for pitt all 4 years and he's ranked as high or higher than Gaither in my opinion.

He has 2 years to red-shirt behind Marvel. Depending on his progress they'll draft for next year.

Benedict is a Gaither like Monster for LG. Replacing Faneca with someone faster, stronger and has about 20-30 lbs on him.

I like a guy like Jeff Otah for RT/RG swingman, or Barry Richardson if he falls for a mauler RT that excels at Pass pro. Or perhaps Barton who's a jack of all blocks but master or mauler of none.

I don't think the OL is in as much peril as everyone believes.

a solid 2 guys next year and we should be set for the future..

Capizzi ~ Benedict ~ Mahan ~ Colon ~ Otah/Richardson

My main concern is locking up Vernon Gholston. If he stays for his senior year.. I don't know who I take round 1.

tommy blake or quentin groves
Old 08-19-2007, 09:26 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
tommy blake or quentin groves
Gholston > Blake or Groves.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:02 PM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

Man_Of_Steel hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Okay since I havent posted in this thread yet Im gonna take abit from every post because I dont feel like qouting the entire page.

Okay...

I believe someone said Starks cant handle a speed DE. WRONG, remember last year when Starks completley shut down one of the best players in the league Julius Peppers. Starks really dosent have a weakness you can write down on paper. He is incosistant thats it, of course hes gonna look slow when he gets beat but the reason for his struggles is inconstistancy due to him not lowering his anchor and staying too high.

Alot of hate on Simmons here. Kendall Simmons (aside from Faneca) has argueably been our best O-lineman this preseason. Hes doing an adequite job blocking in the line but where he has been most impressive is kicking/pulling out and blocking. He has been very quick and on target in that aspect.

Finally who was it that dissed Mike Webster by calling Faneca the best O-lineman in Steelers history. Faneca has been elite for a while but how can you overlook Webster.
Man_Of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:30 AM    (permalink
PittPete
Rookie

After the skins game, I'm more worried than ever. Starks and Essex don't look like they should be in the NFL, and I still don't get the Mahan signing. Colon and Faneca seem to be our only true dominant lineman. Simmons has looked much better than last year but Kemo clearly needs more seasoning before given a starting role. On the other hand , Ive watched several other games and fat slow lineman are everywhere. It's very clear that defensive lineman have become more dominant than ever, they are faster and more athletic than at any time. Big fat slow boys just don't cut it as lineman anymore.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:37 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
Trust me, Gholston is not staying for his senior year. But are you guys gonna run a cover 2 or 3-4 in the future? Not that it matters since Gholston can be a great OLB in a 3-4 or a great DE in a 4-3 (can play LDE just as well as RDE).

Who is gonna start week 1 at RT for you guys against us, Starks or Colon?
Old 08-20-2007, 04:40 PM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Trust me, Gholston is not staying for his senior year. But are you guys gonna run a cover 2 or 3-4 in the future? Not that it matters since Gholston can be a great OLB in a 3-4 or a great DE in a 4-3 (can play LDE just as well as RDE).

Who is gonna start week 1 at RT for you guys against us, Starks or Colon?
Look for Starks to start.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:31 AM    (permalink
PittPete
Rookie

Starks is on the bench which is more than he deserves. Watched the bears/colts game last night and was not impressed with either O-line. D-linemen were shooting through like Casey hampton at a free donut giveaway.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:09 AM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Starks is on the bench which is more than he deserves. Watched the bears/colts game last night and was not impressed with either O-line. D-linemen were shooting through like Casey hampton at a free donut giveaway.
Okay, since you disagree how about saying who you think will start RT.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:15 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man_Of_Steel View Post
Okay, since you disagree how about saying who you think will start RT.
colon i think will get the nod

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:29 PM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

I disagree, this being Starks contract year he is gonna start day 1 and get a chance to prove himself.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:40 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I disagree, this being Starks contract year he is gonna start day 1 and get a chance to prove himself.
i see what your saying, and also the fact that we (reportedly) had a couple a chances to move starks this offseason and didn't also shows that the steelers really want to give him every chance to make him our starter...

having said that i think its more important to the steelers front office and to head coach mike tomlin to play the best player to give this organization the best possible chance to win, in the end i think they'd rather pay starks his... 1.8 mil? to be a backup and win then let him play and lose

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:54 PM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
i see what your saying, and also the fact that we (reportedly) had a couple a chances to move starks this offseason and didn't also shows that the steelers really want to give him every chance to make him our starter...

having said that i think its more important to the steelers front office and to head coach mike tomlin to play the best player to give this organization the best possible chance to win, in the end i think they'd rather pay starks his... 1.8 mil? to be a backup and win then let him play and lose
Is Colon really that much better than Starks right now? I think right now they are gonna be about equal so I would love to see Starks get his chance again and flourish.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Starks is very inconsistent. At times he looks like a stud player but then other times he looks like the worst tackle in the league. Putting him at LT didn't turn into anything at all.

From the reports at camp, yes Colon is really looking that match better right now. Starks has looked bad in the preseason and Colon has reportedly looked very good in camp. It'll be interesting to see who starts against the Eagles this sunday because the line that starts will likely be the line that starts opening day.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:41 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
Starks is very inconsistent. At times he looks like a stud player but then other times he looks like the worst tackle in the league. Putting him at LT didn't turn into anything at all.

From the reports at camp, yes Colon is really looking that match better right now. Starks has looked bad in the preseason and Colon has reportedly looked very good in camp. It'll be interesting to see who starts against the Eagles this sunday because the line that starts will likely be the line that starts opening day.
Word has it that:

Smith ~ Faneca ~ Mahan ~ Simmons ~ Colon is our starting 5.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
I don't think they're really happy where He is at. I know he CAN stop the best LDE's in the league, the fact remains he's so damn inconsistant.

He stonewalls Charles Grant and Julius Peppers.. then Gives Derrick Burgess and the Ravens free Roam of ben.