Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Miami Dolphins Team Forum

Miami Dolphins Team Forum Discuss the 'Phins

Old 08-18-2007, 02:01 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Default Dolphins Draft pick impressions...

Now that we have had time to see mini camps and training camp and a couple of preseason games, we can look bad some and see how the guys we picked have looked so far. Here's my take on them:

RD1: Ted Ginn: Very disappointed here as I knew I would be. He has flashed some talent with his speed at moments but has made no impact and nothing on returns. I've seen enough talent to make me think he could bring different dynamics for us in the future but I'm expecting next to nothing from him this season.

RD2: John Beck: I'm very excited about this kid. I wanted Quinn but by all accounts Beck has been better then Quinn thus far in the short careers. It's been mainly against 2nd and 3rd teams but Beck has let a couple of solid drives. I am extremely impressed with his accuracy and arm strength as well as how quickly he seems to learn from his mistakes. I think he'll get some Pt at some point late this season and be our starter by next year.

RD2: Samson Satele: So far he looks like our best pick of the draft and plays the all important OL. He has made some rookie mistakes but seems to be a hard worker and quick learner. He should be a 10 year starter for us at center.

RD3: Lorenzo Booker: Has done nothing. Impressive early in mini camps but hasn't done much since and has not played in the preseason games. Should stick just based on how high he was picked and on his open field speed and playmaking ability but like Ginn, I'm not expecting much from him this season.

RD4: Paul Soliai: Has been running with the 1st team and started both preseason games. Nothing outstanding but he has been solid at eating blocks. He will move into a situational/backup role when the season starts and Traylor gets in the lineup but Soliai looks like our NT of the future and should be starting by next season.

RD6: Reagan Mauia: Likely headed to the practice squad. Has definately impressed with his talent but is fighting an uphill battle being behind Cory Schlesinger, Ronnie Brown, Jesse Chatman, Patrick Cobbs, and Lorenzo Booker in the backfield. Mauia is very raw and has alot to learn but could make an impact a year or two down the road.

RD6: Drew Mormino: A mild surprise. He has looked pretty overmatched during the preseason games but just the fact that a rookie 6th round pick is making as much of an impact and getting as much PT as Mormino has, must get you excited. He has the look of a solid backup/spot starter for the future which is not too shabby for a 6th round pick. Has alot of work to do but has alot more talent then he was originially given credit for.

RD7: Kelvin Smith: No way he makes this team. He is the most likely of all the draft picks to get cut. Could possibly make the practice squad but he's done nothing in camp, nothing in preseason and is currently injured.

RD7: Brandon Fields: Inconsistent and needs some work but is definately got some huge upside and a big time leg. Better accuracy then the scouting reports said. Should be our punter for the next 15 years once he gets adjusted to the speed of the NFL.

RD7: Abraham Wright: Might be the biggest surprise of the entire draft. Nobody expected him to make the impact he's been making. Has looked outstanding with his speed off the edge and should be a good situational pass rushing LB for us this year. I'm excited to see how he developes the rest of his game in the future because his pass rushing is good enough to make his a top 3-4 LB in the NFL. IF he learns to do better in coverage and adjusts well to the rest of the NFL game, he could potentially be a double digit sack artist for us within a couple of years.

I know it's early but so far John Beck, Samson Satele, Paul Soliai, Drew Mormino, Brandon Fields, and Abraham Wright all look like very good picks with solid futures and starting potiential for us down the road. It's been a long time since we've had a rookie class that seemed to have this much upside.

Ted Ginn, Lorenzo Booker are probably going to make this team but they have alot to prove and have dissapointments thus far.

Reagan Mauia has been impressive but si very raw and will likely sitck with the PS. Kelvin Smith is most likely a goner.

Not too shabby of a draft if you ask me. Lots to be excited about which is not normal for a Dolphins draft. Add in a couple of guys in Kerry Reed and Julius Wilson that should make the team and I can help to get excited about the youth movement that has been added to the Miami Dolphins.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:54 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
Now that we have had time to see mini camps and training camp and a couple of preseason games, we can look bad some and see how the guys we picked have looked so far. Here's my take on them:

RD1: Ted Ginn: Very disappointed here as I knew I would be. He has flashed some talent with his speed at moments but has made no impact and nothing on returns. I've seen enough talent to make me think he could bring different dynamics for us in the future but I'm expecting next to nothing from him this season.

RD2: John Beck: I'm very excited about this kid. I wanted Quinn but by all accounts Beck has been better then Quinn thus far in the short careers. It's been mainly against 2nd and 3rd teams but Beck has let a couple of solid drives. I am extremely impressed with his accuracy and arm strength as well as how quickly he seems to learn from his mistakes. I think he'll get some Pt at some point late this season and be our starter by next year.

RD2: Samson Satele: So far he looks like our best pick of the draft and plays the all important OL. He has made some rookie mistakes but seems to be a hard worker and quick learner. He should be a 10 year starter for us at center.

RD3: Lorenzo Booker: Has done nothing. Impressive early in mini camps but hasn't done much since and has not played in the preseason games. Should stick just based on how high he was picked and on his open field speed and playmaking ability but like Ginn, I'm not expecting much from him this season.

RD4: Paul Soliai: Has been running with the 1st team and started both preseason games. Nothing outstanding but he has been solid at eating blocks. He will move into a situational/backup role when the season starts and Traylor gets in the lineup but Soliai looks like our NT of the future and should be starting by next season.

RD6: Reagan Mauia: Likely headed to the practice squad. Has definately impressed with his talent but is fighting an uphill battle being behind Cory Schlesinger, Ronnie Brown, Jesse Chatman, Patrick Cobbs, and Lorenzo Booker in the backfield. Mauia is very raw and has alot to learn but could make an impact a year or two down the road.

RD6: Drew Mormino: A mild surprise. He has looked pretty overmatched during the preseason games but just the fact that a rookie 6th round pick is making as much of an impact and getting as much PT as Mormino has, must get you excited. He has the look of a solid backup/spot starter for the future which is not too shabby for a 6th round pick. Has alot of work to do but has alot more talent then he was originially given credit for.

RD7: Kelvin Smith: No way he makes this team. He is the most likely of all the draft picks to get cut. Could possibly make the practice squad but he's done nothing in camp, nothing in preseason and is currently injured.

RD7: Brandon Fields: Inconsistent and needs some work but is definately got some huge upside and a big time leg. Better accuracy then the scouting reports said. Should be our punter for the next 15 years once he gets adjusted to the speed of the NFL.

RD7: Abraham Wright: Might be the biggest surprise of the entire draft. Nobody expected him to make the impact he's been making. Has looked outstanding with his speed off the edge and should be a good situational pass rushing LB for us this year. I'm excited to see how he developes the rest of his game in the future because his pass rushing is good enough to make his a top 3-4 LB in the NFL. IF he learns to do better in coverage and adjusts well to the rest of the NFL game, he could potentially be a double digit sack artist for us within a couple of years.

I know it's early but so far John Beck, Samson Satele, Paul Soliai, Drew Mormino, Brandon Fields, and Abraham Wright all look like very good picks with solid futures and starting potiential for us down the road. It's been a long time since we've had a rookie class that seemed to have this much upside.

Ted Ginn, Lorenzo Booker are probably going to make this team but they have alot to prove and have dissapointments thus far.

Reagan Mauia has been impressive but si very raw and will likely sitck with the PS. Kelvin Smith is most likely a goner.

Not too shabby of a draft if you ask me. Lots to be excited about which is not normal for a Dolphins draft. Add in a couple of guys in Kerry Reed and Julius Wilson that should make the team and I can help to get excited about the youth movement that has been added to the Miami Dolphins.

I do admit, Ginn has started off a little unimpressive in his limited action in the preseason. But let me bring up this point, how did Reggie look in his first couple preseason games? Very unimpressive. He danced around too much while trying to get acclimated to the speed of the NFL. I believe we are seeing the same trend with Teddy Ginn. Give him a chance to get his understanding of the league and get his feet underneath him. It may take a couple games but I do expect a pretty nice impact from him this year, at least on Returns and gadget plays. He gives us that big-play threat that we haven't seen to much of the last couple of years.

I expect about the same from Booker, althought I don't understand why he hasn't been playing at all in the preseason, can anyone answer that for me?

Mormino is better than you are giving him credit for. I think he may end up being the biggest surprise of the Draft. He is starting ahead of Shelton at RG right now and as a rookie that is pretty impressive. As long as he keeps up the intensity, I see him as a very good player for us for a bunch of years.

Brandon Fields has impressed the heck outta me, he has a huge leg and may be among the elites of the NFL in the next couple years.

I don't understand what has happened with Smith, but he supposedly is a great ST'er and I expect good things from him, I think he will come around, I don't see him getting cut. I wouldn't be surprised if none of our draft picks get cut, they shouldn't anyway.

Beck has been impressive as has Satele and Soliai. The others will come around, I see almost everyone of our draft picks starting at some time for us in the near future, maybe even full-time. As bad as some people rated our class, it looks like a very solid one at this point to me.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:55 AM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Finsfan79 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think tomorrow's game should be fun to watch as I expect a lot of booker, Ginn and Beck
Finsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote