Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 08-23-2007, 11:51 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Who will stand out against Cincy?

Which player do you feel is going to have the most impressive game against the Bengals?

I'm thinking Anderson is going to finally get to the QB because they are going to throw the ball against us and I think we'll see the most intense defense we have seen to this point, and I really feel like Anderson has already started adjusting to the speed of the NFL and I think he'll be able to have a very impressive game.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:08 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i would love to see houston get an interception. also, i really miss norwood's ridiculous runs. those were amazing last preseason.
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:07 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm happy with norwood not being on the field. No need for him to be out there, he's going to be tearing up defenses all season long we'll get PLENTY of his highlights.

Oh and the reason I didn't mention Robinson, is because that kid is already a baller, he may be the best WR on the team, that's just nasty. I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a killer game...again...I also wouldn't be too surprised if he starts at some point in this season because we can't keep him off the field with his ability.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:50 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah dude, Robinson has been surprising me a lot lately. I wouldn't be surprised if he too kthe #1 job from Jenkins and Jenkins was the #2 at season's end.

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:13 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

On defense, most of all, I want to see Jimmy Williams continue his improvement from the Bills game. Getting that FS position sorted is key to our D. I'd also like to see Houston show what he's got against Housh. I'm not worried about Anderson, I know he's going to be great. That said, some pass rush would be nice to see.

On offense, I just want to see Harrington make good decisions, that's all.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:25 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm with D-Rod. The secondary and the quarterback positions will make or break this team.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:48 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

I think it's going to be our defense that is make or break. To me it's going to be our pass rush that makes or breaks this defense. If we get plenty of it with 4 down and a few blitzes here and there, our secondary won't have to be as good, they will be able to get some help from the pressure. I think if our front 4 can get the QB and even our front 7, and we don't have to put 8 in the box to stop the run, our DBs can make plenty of plays. I know Jimmy is young, but he's got the ball skills to be a dominant FS so I'm really not worried about that.

I really think the biggest thing is getting Rod back so Babs can be 100% effective because I really think Babs will be able to start soon, full time, but having depth to keep that push coming is going to be paramount. Then if Jamaal can play up to his massive size and combine numbers, that's fine...how much can Grady be on the field...behind him who's going to step up and be able to plug? Can Abe stay healthy? If not, is Carrington / Davis duo going to be enough over there and still be able to spell Anderson?
Old 08-26-2007, 03:35 PM    (permalink
falconsrule
Rookie

falconsrule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think Trey Lewis will cont.to open alot of people eyes and will eventually take the backup role at NT behind G.Jackson this year. I would also like the see Jimmy Williams cont.to play well and Chris Houston.
falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:37 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I believe this game will be a barometer for how the season is going to go. If they can stay competitive with Cincinnati, then the team just might surprise.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:42 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wanna see Joey Harrington step up this game. He has been bad all pre-season, and I wanna see some signs of improvement, potential(how long has he had that tag on him?), and pocket prescence. I don't want a top 5 pick this year even though we could snag a Brian Brohm or Woodson with it...
Old 08-27-2007, 08:11 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Okay Joey is ballin out so all the detractors suck. Joey has been on point...defense needs to get off the field though. Boley and Jamaal are looking pure nasty...Hall hasn't looked good all night, but Jerious is showing why he's going to tear the NFL up on that one play...he can always get in the endzone.

I'm actually pretty excited now to think we can get quite a few wins...and have a good chance if our defense can step up a little bit. Just gotta be able to get off the field.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:19 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

man i loved joey's spirit tonight. after the first td he seemed as if he just won the superbowl. you cant help but feel for the guy. team looked sharp but it was the defense that is lacking. ocho cinco was all over dhall. sanders played him well on the two pt conversion though.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:27 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

welll this is kind of unrelated but im so sick of monday night commentators constantly reporting on stuff thats nonfootball. enough with the michael vick case and the constant camera coverage of teh press box with blank and mckay. sheesh, how many different ways do they have to dissect it? [/rant]
Old 08-27-2007, 10:08 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can someone tell me what they saw out of

boley
jwill
dhall
abraham
norwood
roddy
Old 08-27-2007, 10:47 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Boley- on point, very good. Made a lot of good stops and looked like he's ready for the season.

JWill- I will have to look back over, seemed like he could have stopped that Henry TD if he had played it better...but there was a lot of confusion on that play with the blitz they used.

dhall- looked AWFUL tonight...was trying to make big plays so he bit on every pump that Carson threw his way.

Abraham- had an offsides penalty, but played well...was held a LOT I mean a LOT.

Norwood- baller...this kid is special. His TD catch and run was great.

Roddy- sucks. Can get open just can't catch. Dropped the best pass anyone has ever thrown...really...that touch was amazing my Harrington and set it in his lap right over his shoulder...I mean I don't even know if Roddy saw it and it hit him right in the arms...any other WR anywhere makes this catch.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:51 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well its not as if you guys dont already know, or havent seen/heard...but D Hall was OWNED by CJ 2nite...not its not as if chad doesnt do that to alot of corners, but goes to show that in man to man he isnt quite on that level yet of a champ bailey, or an elite corner for that matter...he was beat long and short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:44 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Things that were good:

Joey Harrington looked fantastic. He made accurate throws, he stood in the pocket despite pressure, he threw the ball away rather than force any passes. Most of all what impressed me was his demeanor. He brought an intensity that you don't see from a lot of players in the regular season, let alone a pre-season game. Many people criticized him as a 'leader,' maybe he is finally coming in to his own and becoming the player that everyone thought he'd be when he played at Oregon. I think just about everyone is rooting for him, because of he does well and the Falcons do well that will really be a 'stick it!' to Michael Vick.

Jamaal Anderson showed why Atlanta took him with the eighth pick last year. He is big, strong and has a wide wingspan, all ingredients for a dominant player. He sacked Carson Palmer twice and made several impact plays against Rudi Johnson in the backfield. Hopefully he can consistently produce while facing the single coverage that comes from playing across from John Abraham.

I constantly rave about Michael Boley, and he once again played well. He's the best LB on the team, which goes unnoticed because Keith Brooking gets all the pub. I absolutely love him. He's very multifaceted, effective as a pass rusher, in coverage and at the point of attack.

Things that were bad:

DeAngelo Hall biting on every single double move. He does a good job most of the time, he played Houshmandzadeh very well on the fade to the endzone, for example. That being said he goes for the 'pick' every time, he sees a slant coming and he instantly goes after it with reckless abandon. When you have Chad Johnson, the best route runner in the game, you cannot afford to do that. Hopefully Mike Zimmer roasts him this week and gets him to play with more control. He won't be a great corner until he does that. To be fair he dominated the last time he played against the Bengals and that was the regular season.

Roddy White looked very good most of the time, however he just cannot consistently catch the football. It is mind numbing to see him drop another touchdown. All the pre-season fluff about his work ethic sadly seem to be off.

The run blocking was sorely disappointing. Too many times Warrick and Jerious were met in the backfield by Bengals' players. That is probably the only thing the team will miss from Michael Vick is his positive impact on the running game. I'm not too worried though, miscommunication on the O-Line are pretty common in the preseason. A lot of RBs are having a hard time finding room this preseason because of it.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:26 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

^very on point post...Like what you said about Hall, your right, he played TJ excellent on the fade, but him getting beat isnt due to lack of skills, he does want that pick or big play, where as you said going against a route runner like CJ you cannot afford that, and it showed on that slant n go, beautiful route, hall bit hard...

and i wish i knew what you guys had with roddy white, he still baffles me...so athletic, big and fast and physical, the catch, err non catch from he got from harrington where he didnt get both feet in was nice, he runs excellent deep routes, but the simple throws he drops, still after all this time in the league...

i know its frustrating as a falcons fan, has to be...if he could just get rid of the dropsies he would be a great young WR...

but yes, harrington looked great, i think its the first time since he has been drafted the words have ever left my mouth about him...preseason or not, his touch, accuracy, and not turning the ball over are good signs...plus Norwood is a beast, and i really hope he sees more carries then dunn...

but Shiver, if you could, assess Blalock for me, and how he looked if you got a chance to see him in there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:40 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

I didn't really notice him, not as if I was watching intently though. All I have heard about Blalock thus far is that he is already right up there to be considered the Falcons' best lineman.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:06 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Well, I was looking at the secondary and QB. One worked, the other less so.

Firstly, Harrington looked great. He kept his composure, he made his reads, and he delivered an accurate ball. All that you can ask of a QB. He showed great enthusiasm and leadership.

Yes, it was a preseason game, and the Bengals D is fairly weak, so I'm well aware that any optimism should be tempered. However, if Harrington can perform even close to that level on a regular basis, then he could well be more than just a short-term stop gap. Obviously it will take the regular season to prove whether it can last, but right now I'm feeling somewhat more confident.

Now for the secondary. Jimmy was alright for most of the game, but that play where he totally missed Henry coming across the middle was horrendous. He showed great range on the long ball caught by 85, when Hall whiffed - he really needs to stop taking risks, by the way - but Jimmy really needs to work on his concentration.

Not sure how Houston did, but the fact that he didn't get thrown at presumably indicates that he had pretty decent coverage. Against a team with 85, TJ Housh and Chris Henry, that's a good effort. Promising.

Incidentally, how good did Anderson look? Their RT may be a bit rubbish, but still, 5 tackles and 2 sacks in 3 quarters is a pretty good start to his Georgia Dome career.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:27 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

By the way, that TD to Jennings may be the most impressive pure passing play I've seen from the Falcons for years (yes, that's a little sad). Harrington stood poised in the pocket, progressed rapidly through his reads from left to right, quickly realised that Jennings was open, and delivered a perfectly accurate ball. Then, even better, he showed great leadership, and ran all the way down to celebrate with his offense. Fingers crossed that we see that many more times this season.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:37 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rod View Post
Incidentally, how good did Anderson look? Their RT may be a bit rubbish, but still, 5 tackles and 2 sacks in 3 quarters is a pretty good start to his Georgia Dome career.
Even the best D-Lineman tend to pad stats against inferior opponents, so at least he showed he can abuse a player who isn't as good as him and can capitalize on 1-1 match ups. That is always a good sign.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:25 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

j williams played horribly. even with run support he missed a lot of tackles and in coverage was worse. dhall def was too excited about getting a big play but if there isnt too much media attention on him, he plays well. i wish he can be more physical with the opposition's WRs. boley was good and what i love about him is his consistency and reliability. harrington was great last night. even though i miss the thrill of vick running around in the pocket, it was refreshing to watch harrington take his time and make good throw after good throw.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

As I said before: the two biggest question marks are QB and the secondary. Thus far Joey Harrington looks more like the guy who was an accurate QB and leader at Oregon, rather than the bum who played for Detroit. Unfortunately the secondary has yet to step up.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:38 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

I think the biggest issue for Jimmy is playing time...getting in there and getting the reps in live action, there's nothing like game time, you can't simulate it. I think Jimmys play was fair...the play on the Henry TD I think was more a matter of him focusing too much on getting into the position he was supposed to on defense rather than playing the ball like he will when he is more comfortable...if you'll notice, he was running to his deeper zone which was opposite the way that Henry was running, he wasn't able to lock it down and make the move back towards the WR leaving that side open, however he was one of THREE falcons in the area, yet you want to hate on him because he's supposed to become a stud.

As far as offensive line goes, it's a VERY nice offensive line apart from Gandy. We need a LT something fierce, to be honest I think Joey showed last night why they called him Joey Heisman entering his Senior campaign. He's got a very solid head on his shoulders and for the first time in his career has an offensive line that is giving him time.

A few more things I noticed as I've started re-watching the game...Abe is drawing TONS of attention right now, I mean every play he's being doubled or doubled and cut, and EVERY play he's being held fiercly, there wasn't a play where his Jersey wasn't stretched out due to the fear the LT had of being beaten. Another thing I noticed, we all LOVE Dunn's ability to block...it's obvious that he's not been working on that at this point, that first PA pass of the game was only a sack because Dunn weighs 1/2 of what the guy who ran into him did, and he had no technique to get him any extra time, he didn't miss a step in tracking down Joey and Dunn got hammered.

Another thing is Babineaux is going to be just fine, let Rod take as long as he wants to recoup. Babs is disrupting things from his UT position and doing a very good job of it, also holding the point of attack he's been keeping it right where it belongs, very impressive. One thing I noticed about our run D was that even when people would make plays Cincy was just out executing us. That first run of the game that went for 33 yards, Demorrio blew up the FB that came into block him and got a hand on Johnson(not enough to take him down no matter who it was) but everyone else ran themselves out of the play. They ran and got caught up in the mess in the middle, Boley if he had set back would have had a chance to make a play a lot sooner than he did. Demorrio hit his gap and did what he was supposed to do, but also since Lawyer was on a blitz he was out of the play as well.

Our defense isn't comfortable blitzing and i'ts like we're sending too many people and it gets them all jumbled up and leaves us vacant for plays like that 4th and 5 conversion.

One more thing, about Joey, what I saw last night that impressed me was the Jennings TD read and throw. He scanned that side of the field and the split second that he saw him he was throwing the ball, it wasn't like he had to check to make sure, he knew what he saw and was confident and made the play. If you go back and watch his hand wasn't even cocked ready to throw when he saw Jennings but he got the ball out very quick. Lovin it so far!

Last edited by iloxygenil : 08-28-2007 at 03:43 PM.