Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 08-26-2007, 02:16 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Here's what I think (draft thoughts)

Since we all love to talk draft no matter what time of year it is, and how far away it is...

IF we're picking top 3 and Minnesota is picking ahead of us along with Oakland, assuming no trades...that leaves us with a shot at McFadden right? Well lets look at it like this...

1.) Minnesota - they can't go RB again, because that'd be stupid, they got AP and he's going to be a great back. So they'll go with a QB here, and I'd be guessing it's got a GREAT chance of being Brohm or Woodson.

2.) Oakland - Their offensive line is the worst in the world, and if they don't get that fixed it doesn't matter who they bring in to run the ball...not that they need a RB anyway with Jordan and Rhodes. So they look for a guy like Baker or Long...or who knows...maybe he wants to go with another California guy and pickup a WR who can return kicks and stuff for his team as well.

3.) Atlanta - Well...that leaves us with a HUGE variety of options...here I'd almost rather trade down with a team like Dallas for Cleveland and their own pick...OR we could stay pat and pickup yet ANOTHER Razorback and go with Darren McFadden who imo is the best RB prospect in a very long time...only AP rivals him in recent history. Giving us Norwood and McFadden in the backfield and then leaving us still with question marks at QB...BUT...Petrino's system is known for making QBs perform better...so...I'm thinking we could find a QB who could work for us later in the draft with a QB class as deep as this year's is.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:30 PM    (permalink
falconsrule
Rookie

falconsrule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think we would be crazy to pass on Darren McFadden....I know about the Petrino and Brohm connection but McFadden is a one in a lifetime RB....I think alot of ppl who are turning in there season tickets would think twice about doing that if we get McFadden next year..ha ha
falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:09 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Looking forward to a top 3 pick? Bummer.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:04 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm not looking forward to it, nor do I think we'll have a top 3 pick...this is just what's being said around us right now. So I'll roll with it, I think Atlanta is going to surprise a LOT of teams this year with our defense causing massive headaches for those offenses that come strolling into town. Our rookies have stepped it up already and that's scary because normally rookies don't do to well this early. Jamaal hasn't done anything as far as sacking the QB goes, but his ability to hold the point of attack as well as read run v pass has been exceptional...something that would have made a HUGE difference to Mario Williams last year.

I could see our defense being top 5 and allowing 14 per game if they can stay healthy. It's going to take a Dilfer type effort from Harrington though...that's what I'm expecting. I'd say no less than 7-9 at this point, but realistically I could see us still getting 10 wins...
Old 08-26-2007, 07:22 PM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would love to have Mcfadden and I'd take him over any of the QB. There is a chance we can get a good QB in round 2.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:17 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

10 wins?! cmon.. ill be very happy with 6. screw my pride, the falcons can suck this year. we need a good draft pick.
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:41 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

the best possible scenario for me... (im having an each way bet here) is to go 9-7 and then to have Andre Woodson do what Brady Quinn did and get him around pick #20. That way the team has a successful season, the players inprove and we get a franchise QB. if we were able to do that at around pick #20 id be pumped.

Next i would look to where the big drop off for LT's is (probably around the spot where Joe Staley was taken last year) this year i think it could be 5-10 picks lower because the OT class is stronger. Anyway, id find this area, perhaps pick # 25-#30 trade back in to the 1st using next years 1st like the 49ers and take my OT. To say who yet is a risk because alot of the OT have their first season as LT this year so it will depend on how they go.

Now presuming we go 9-7 i would have no problem with losing the first in 09 because we would have very very few holes. This team is a franchise LT + franchise QB + some very likley progression from guys such as Stone, Williams and Houston (that almost certainly would come on the back of a 9-7 season) from being very very serious contenders for a sustained period of time

Last edited by DraftMichaelHuff : 08-26-2007 at 10:49 PM.
DraftMichaelHuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:18 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

I would be really sad if we go 6-10...really...I'd also be surprised
Old 08-27-2007, 02:26 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

of course i would love to see the scenario as d-rod explains but realistically our offense will be dismal and our defense isnt as experienced as many others. i really just want a slow year where norwood can ease into the starting role, blaylock transitions well against first team defenses, and houston learns nfl speed. also, j-williams imo is very susceptible to being the reason for big plays. from what i've seen he seems to go for the fancy tackle instead of an effective wrap tackle and plays for the pick in many cases. overall our team is young and this is a rebuilding season, lets not get our hopes up.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:11 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
I would be really sad if we go 6-10...really...I'd also be surprised

It's highly realistic. We just aren't a good team.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:55 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This team wasn't even that good with Vick, I mean they underachieved sure, but still it was around .500. Joey Harrington is no better as a passer and won't open up holes in the running game like Vick did. By default that makes the team in the 6-10 area. Whether the team finishes in the top-3 or stays at its 6-7 win area depends on how the defense performs, in my opinion.

My wish list goes like this:
  • Brian Brohm
  • Sam Baker
  • Darren McFadden

Brohm, only because he could play from the get-go because he would know the offense and the terminology. Baker is the my next ideal pick because clearly the team needs an LT. McFadden is good, but I think QB and LT need to be the priorities and Running Backs are always available later in the draft.

Last edited by Shiver : 08-27-2007 at 04:58 PM.
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:36 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

I think you guys are selling our defense short...really...it's going to be NASTY
Old 08-27-2007, 06:09 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

we'll see. i hope i eat my words later.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:25 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As do I. If we overachieve this year that means good things from this coaching staff.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:13 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

I'm lovin this game right now
Old 08-27-2007, 08:22 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
Since we all love to talk draft no matter what time of year it is, and how far away it is...

IF we're picking top 3 and Minnesota is picking ahead of us along with Oakland, assuming no trades...that leaves us with a shot at McFadden right? Well lets look at it like this...

1.) Minnesota - they can't go RB again, because that'd be stupid, they got AP and he's going to be a great back. So they'll go with a QB here, and I'd be guessing it's got a GREAT chance of being Brohm or Woodson.

2.) Oakland - Their offensive line is the worst in the world, and if they don't get that fixed it doesn't matter who they bring in to run the ball...not that they need a RB anyway with Jordan and Rhodes. So they look for a guy like Baker or Long...or who knows...maybe he wants to go with another California guy and pickup a WR who can return kicks and stuff for his team as well.

3.) Atlanta - Well...that leaves us with a HUGE variety of options...here I'd almost rather trade down with a team like Dallas for Cleveland and their own pick...OR we could stay pat and pickup yet ANOTHER Razorback and go with Darren McFadden who imo is the best RB prospect in a very long time...only AP rivals him in recent history. Giving us Norwood and McFadden in the backfield and then leaving us still with question marks at QB...BUT...Petrino's system is known for making QBs perform better...so...I'm thinking we could find a QB who could work for us later in the draft with a QB class as deep as this year's is.
i disagree and think bush rivals AP and mcfadden as the best RB prospects in a very long time..jus reminding u jus in case u forgot bout him lol
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:01 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Don't get Oxy started on Reggie Bush, bad idea.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:26 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

rofl bush and shockley.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:20 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

One thing I do give Oxy credit for, he's been consistent in his rage against Reggie Bush. Even before he was drafted by a division rival.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:03 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

i think he's more passionate about shockley haha.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:06 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

They're right don't get me started on the WR from the University of Spoiled Children. If he ever becomes a RB I'll talk about him then, until then he's not a RB prospect, he's a good football player, but he's a WR / KR guy.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:21 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow, ya'll are optimistic.

With this secondary, including 0 people who can copver consistently, our defense will not be nasty. It is weak. With essentially 2 rookies in the secondary we know we will give up big plays, then add in a aging SS who is essentially a LB and a selfish CB and it won't be pretty.

On offense our running game will be slow to adjust to the new system and we still aren't big up front.

The pass game will be explosive at times, but drops and inconsistency will plague it.

I see 2-7 wins, up to 9 if Harrington has a huge reassurgance.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:23 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh, and saying _____ has this doesn't work. It is usually optimism talking. BPA is often the case. I could have said (and did) that Adrian Peterson or LaRon Landry would have fallen to us. But the Redskins defied all logic by selecting Landry over defensive lineman and the Vikings failed to reward a 1,200 yard back by drafting Peterson.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:53 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

how would colt brennan fit into our offense? there are the obvious haters but i really like his style and his talent is evident. we could take a dominant LT in the first and maybe brennan drops to the second? he is old (i think 23?) but perhaps he can be a steal.

im still pissed that we let gaither slip through our hands. ravens had ogden for a good decade now they have a monster in gaither for the future. sheesh. all we got is gandy at LT.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:12 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Both Brennan and Brohm has "system QB" tags on them. If there was any place they could succeed it would be in Atlanta. I'm not a big fan of Brennan though. I would rather look at a Matt Ryan, John David Booty or Erik Ainge. All of whom come from legitimate NFL-ready offenses and are very accurate.

Last edited by Shiver : 09-05-2007 at 11:51 PM.