Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:14 AM    (permalink
richdg
Veteran

richdg hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default After the summer, a few thoughts.....

First, it has been a nice long hot summer. But, now it is time for some football!
After 4 games, I am not impressed. this team reminds me a lot of the 2003 team. Major issues on the OL, no one that can cover in the secondary, and what looks like an inconsistant running game. For thsoe of you who have forgot, in 2003 we went 6-10. We ran a lot of 4 and 5 WR sets, throw the ball all over, couldn't cover anyone with Scott and Washington at CB. Heck maddox throw for 4000 yards, both Ward and Burress had 1000+ recieving yards. Zerroue was the starting RB. I see a lot of the same team going into this year. There are far to many pretty boy players on this team. Not enough dirty mean tough guys. We still have 3 holes in the OL. Everytime we see Ben on the ground, or forcing a throw because of a lack of time, remember the signing of Mahan, the failure to resign Faneca, and the passing on Staley in the draft. Timmons looks completely lost and scared. Granted, he missed a lot of camp with injuries, but damn, last night he was getting destroyed by second and third string TE's and OLmen from Philly. I don't think he had a tackle the whole second half, while playing LB. I can understand being behind in learning the D, but there is no excuse for not playing hard. The secondary is scaring me. Yes, Troy is great, and Smith can hit, but can anyone actually cover? I was hoping for a rebound from Taylor, and he only has looked average. Could we please find a power back for short yardage? Anyone? Barlow is the bust that I said he was, and is not going to make the team. Davenport has great size but doesn't use it. Parker is willing, but he is going to get killed doing it. Not to mention fumble.
But in the end, the season will be determinded on the answers to these 2 questions: can we block and can we cover?
richdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:22 AM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

Man_Of_Steel hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

We need O-line bad, a solid coner and a better rb to spell Parker.
Man_Of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:37 AM    (permalink
richdg
Veteran

As of today, I would take 2 Ol, a CB and a RB in our first 4 picks next year. Then look for depth with the balance of our picks.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:59 AM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think we have a decent to good power back in Davis now. everytime i have seen him run i've yet to seem him not fall forward. he is always looking for the contact and to put some hurt on someone.

i agree about the O-line but if somehow the starting line is what it is at the start of this last game except that we like break Simmons foot and Keomauto starts instead. i think after a week or two they can gel together and play better. As of now though. it wasn't good last night.

i had no problem with our first string D against there first string O. we turned the ball over on the 20 yard line and pushed them back far enough to not even get a field goal. our first stringers held them to just a field goal. Mcnabb was 5 for 11 for 60 yards. how is there a way that we weren't covering. we were obviouslly doing something right. our D is amazing and flying around like crazy. they are doing somethings that i've never seen and it impresses me greatly. it is just preseason and they brought out some fireworks for this game. our whole D is sick. and from what i have seen and i have NFLN, i wouldn't take anyone else D in the league right now.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:30 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have come to the conclusion that:

1) Lawrence Timmons will either play Mac or we're Tomlin2 bound
2) LaMarr Woodley has potential to be the best SOLB in the league.
3) Matt Spaeth needs to live up to potential
4) Veda is pro-bowl material
4) McBean is a year or 2 away
5) Stephenson is a year or 2 away
5) *** is the man. Doesn't get 1st team opportunities but he's sealed every game (2 INT's and a FF).
7) Dallas Baker -> Unemployment line.

Other than that.

I think ROLB or WDE (34 or 43).. OL and CB are our biggest needs.

1) Gholston or Blake, DE/OLB, OSU/TCU
2) Rogers-Cromartie or Lowery, CB, TSU/SJSU
3) Chris Williams or Jeff Otah, OT, Vandy/Pittsburgh
4) Heath Benedict, LG, Newberry
5) Keilen Dykes, 34DE/43UT, WVU
6) Brandyn Dombrowski, OG, San Diego State
7) Breno Giacomini, OT, Louisville

Thats my draft and I'm stuck to it.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:59 AM    (permalink
i.want.troys.hair
Rookie

i.want.troys.hair hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Well, I thought I'd throw out my own really-really-ridiculously early mock. I also think we should work Timmons to the inside, and go with an expereinced and ferocious pass-rusher. I have been debating between OT or LB in the first, but have gone with LB because the OL depth in this draft in going to be sick. Here we go...

1 Tommy Blake- TCU- OLB
2 Heath Benedict – Newberry- OG/OT
Future LG. Huge and fast (sub 5.0 40)
3 John Greco- Toledo- OT
He can paly anywhere, but will be a great RT with hopeefully Capizzi on the Left
4 Chad Rinehart- N. Iowa- OT/OG
Steelers will be representing the small-school linemen. I like this guy.
5 Keilan Dykes- West Virginia- DE
6 Alexis Serna- Oklahoma State- K
7 Tony “Bubba” Brinkhaus- Minnesota- C
His nickname is Bubba. What could be more W.estern PA, plus he's versitile.

Don't have time to go into depth, but I'll jesy say that I agree with Stiller on the Dykes pick. My wife is a WVU fan and I've seen a lot of him.

In 2009 I hope we go WR first round. I want Oderick Turner from Pitt, but Mario Urrita and Jaison Williams are also intriguing.

That's that.

Thanks to Jakey for the sweet sig
i.want.troys.hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:08 PM    (permalink
richdg
Veteran

I don't know about those 14 yards punts! But we need OL, OL, and more OL. Over the next 2 years these are the FA's: Faneca, Simmons, Starks, and Chris K this year, with Smith, Colon, and Philip all hitting FA after next year. Half of those guys suck anyway, so no big deal, other than it takes 5 to fill out the line! ha Ha!
As for changing to a 4-3 cover 2, all the rumors coming out of the burg speak to keeping the 3-4. Most notibly, that LeBaeu is not going to retire. His contract was extended, and he plans on coaching a couple of more years.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:10 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.want.troys.hair View Post
Well, I thought I'd throw out my own really-really-ridiculously early mock. I also think we should work Timmons to the inside, and go with an expereinced and ferocious pass-rusher. I have been debating between OT or LB in the first, but have gone with LB because the OL depth in this draft in going to be sick. Here we go...

1 Tommy Blake- TCU- OLB
3 John Greco- Toledo- OT
He can paly anywhere, but will be a great RT with hopeefully Capizzi on the Left

Don't have time to go into depth, but I'll jesy say that I agree with Stiller on the Dykes pick. My wife is a WVU fan and I've seen a lot of him.

In 2009 I hope we go WR first round. I want Oderick Turner from Pitt, but Mario Urrita and Jaison Williams are also intriguing.

That's that.
Agreed. But I want "Earl Bennett". He's the athletically gifted version of Hines Ward.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:22 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.want.troys.hair View Post

1 Tommy Blake- TCU- OLB
3 John Greco- Toledo- OT

That's that.
I liek that kind of thinking.. let me throw my spin on it..

1) Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB, OSU
2) King Dunlap, OT, Auburn
3) Heath Benedict, LG, Newberry
4) Chad Rinehart, OG/OT, Northern Iowa
5) Keilen Dykes, DE, WVU
6) Fernando Velasco, C/OG, Georgia
7) Andy Studebaker, OLB, Wheaton

I love it.

Though 09 We'll need... WR, CB and ILB...

2009 Pre-meditation...

1) Earl Bennett, WR, Vanderbilt
6'1 210 4.49
2) Jack Ikegwuonu, CB, Wisconsin
6'1 202 4.43
3) Antonio Appleby, 34ILB/34OLB, Virginia
6'4 258lbs 4.69

Old 08-27-2007, 12:25 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

so since the draft is like 254 days away. and its not likely that we pick up anyone that any of us want.

what did yall think about the positives of the game?? like the D, and Willie and Ben except the two bonehead moves by them.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:29 PM    (permalink
richdg
Veteran

The front 7 looked good on D. there were several wide open WR's that the eagles missed. Ben should have had 3 int's. The one they did pick and 2 that they dropped. Parker fumbled and had a TD. I guess that balances out. I really didn't see that many positives. I see a 6-10 to 8-8 team.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:16 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

i will bet money that we have atleast a 10 win season. there is no way that we have the type of season you are acting like we have. we have way to easy of a schedule.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:07 PM    (permalink
PittPete
Rookie

PittPete PittPete PittPete

Our defense is playing lightsout. They are stuffing the run and not giving up any long passes. They are only giving up the underneath stuff but keeping the other teams out of the endzone. Lebeau knows exctly what he is doing. Our dbs are way tougher than I expected, especially with G A Y and Madison supporting Ike, Deshea and Mc. I wouldn't trade our safeties for anybodys. Our only weakness on D is that we donnt't have a ytrue wslb. Harrison is tough but not the co;verage guy we need there.
PittPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:12 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

i totally agree with that Pete. and while yes we don't have a tru WSLB harrison is more than capable. its a good day when Silverback is the weakest link on your D.

does anyone know how many total points our first team D has allowed these 4 preseason games??

Old 08-27-2007, 03:54 PM    (permalink
richdg
Veteran

We can talk about how good the D is till we are blue in the face. Here is the problem. Once Ben is hurt, and he will be with this OL, the D will be on the feild for 40 mins. a game. At that point they will wear out. We have coverage issues. Yes, good pressure helps. But sooner or later we will have to cover sombody. I am not sure we can. Our season is not as eay as most think. Most of the teams that had worse records than us last year are better. We are about the same. You don't lose 2 pro bowl players, not replace them, and expect to be better. No one on this team is better than Porter or Hartings. If they were, they would have been starting last year. Harrison has never made it through a full season, is smaller, and slower than Porter. I think 7-9 is about right, and we will end up picking between 11 and 16 in the draft. Trust me, I don't like saying this. i wish we were 12-4 or better every year. I wish both hands were full of rings. we are at least 2 years away from a possible return trip to the SB. Now, if I am wrong (please let me be wrong!) I will be the first to admit it, and really happy about it!
Old 08-27-2007, 04:01 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribletowel39 View Post
i totally agree with that Pete. and while yes we don't have a tru WSLB harrison is more than capable. its a good day when Silverback is the weakest link on your D.

does anyone know how many total points our first team D has allowed these 4 preseason games??
Well before this game.. We were leading the league in Least points scored Overall at 30..

I'm guessing we're at what.. 43?

just some interesting Stats:

First off..

At QB:

Ben is #3 in Yards passing (421) behind only JT O'Sullivan of Detroit (500) and Phillip Rivers (435)

Ben, if my calculations are correct is about 2 TD's away from a 115 QB Rating this pre-season.

At RB

Gary Russell is the highest Ranked (YPG) RB by the Steelers at 32.2, but Avg Rush...

Carey Davis is the #1 RB at 8.9 Yds/Carry on 8 attempts
Gary Russell is at #36 at 4.6 Yds/Carry on 28 Attempts
Larry Croom is at #45 at 4.3 Yds/Carry on 9 Attempts
Haynes at 52 with 4.2 Yds/Carry on 9 attempts
Davenport at 60 with 3.9 Yds/Carry on 14 attempts
Parker at 127 with 2.6 Yds/Carry on 14 attempts.

Russell and Davis need some time against Opposing 1st string. But they have potential. Parker will improve this season.

At WR:

Santonio Holmes is #5 overall for most yards total this preseason (170)
and is also #14 overall in receiving average at 24.3yds (if it were of 5 catches + he'd be #2)

Here's food for thought though..

Holmes is #1 for Catches of 40+ yard receptions (2) and 20 Yard Receptions(5)

AT LB:

There are 3 LB's tied with 2 sacks a piece...

2 of them are in Pittsburgh.

Clark Haggans and LaMarr Woodley

At CB:

Anthony Madison Leads the DB's in Total Tackles(18) Solo tackles (16).

For Sacks..

Our DB's have the second most sacks this preseason..

***, Townsend, Ike each have 1 and Troy with a half.

Only to Baltimore by 1 sack.

William *** is #1 with 2 INT's, #1 with Passes Defended(4) and tied for #1 with FF(1)..

I think we're a lot better than we or anyone think we are.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:09 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

yea we are not doing near as bad as some ppl think. i've said it before i am excited about this season. while 8-8 would be a miracle season for some(Browns), but for steeler fans, that was torture. i'm not expecting that this year though.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:49 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

More Stats:

This Preseason Stats (2006 Preseason Stats)

Yards per carry 4.0 (3.5); opponents’ yards per carry 3.5 (2.5).

Yards per catch 15.0 (10.3); opponents’ yards per catch 9.6 (10.7).

Passer rating 85.2 (67.8); opponents’ passer rating 77.5 (88.6).

Net punting 42.3 (36.3); opponents’ net punting 40.2 (36.3).

Kickoff return average 20.8 (19.3); opponents’ kickoff return average 19.6 (24.4).

Last edited by Mr. Stiller : 08-28-2007 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:04 PM    (permalink
richdg
Veteran

Come on. We all know PRE season stats don't mean sh#t. No one is using their actual D or O. They are working on specific things, and working specific players in situations. Most numbers are put up by seconds vs. seconds or thirds vs thirds.
The fact is, you can't run without the OL nor can you pass without it. Our Ol is a major trouble spot. It will be all year.What happens when Ben gets hurt? Have you ever seen Batch play when he is under pressure? It is not pretty. Same with the secondary. The front 7 can force all the 3rd and longs they want, but what good is it, if the other team keeps converting? Holding a team to under 100 yards rushing is great, but not if you give up 350 yards passing.
But what do I know?!?! I hope I am wrong. The good thing is, we will know real soon!!!!!!!!