Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 08-28-2007, 10:39 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default #3 WR

What are your thoughts? I personally would much rather see Laurent Robinson. I think Roddy White has shown exactly why he cannot be trusted. New year, same player, same dropped passes.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:14 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

I'm not sure Petrino really has an ordered list of receivers. I get the impression that he has a huge number of different sets, and different receivers fit into each of them differently. One of the good things about having receivers with very different attributes.

That said, I'd rather have Robinson on the field ahead of White.

It looks like Roddy may always be plagued by the drops, which is freaking annoying, but it doesn't make him useless. He's still enough of a deep threat to be useful in that role. A D-coordinator can't assume that he is going to drop it in the endzone every time, so will have to provide coverage for those deep routes - with one of his fastest CBs. That also opens up the rest of the field underneath for our real receivers.

Also, Roddy has shown different ability in different routes. The slant, he stinks. Gets put off by the closing hit, I think. Probably best to leave them alone, I think. Deep routes, sometimes amazing, sometimes awful - but still useful (see above). He is best, it seems to me, at the short curl. CBs have to respect his speed, so leave him decent space. Roddy has yet to drop one of those short balls. And then his pace and incredible strength almost always gets him decent YAC as he literally wrestles forward.

So Roddy may be frustrating, but he is still useful. Not worth a first round pick, but that is history.

Robinson, on the other hand, is already looking like a top-10 pick. Hoorah for Paul Petrino!
Old 08-29-2007, 11:47 AM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rod View Post
I'm not sure Petrino really has an ordered list of receivers. I get the impression that he has a huge number of different sets, and different receivers fit into each of them differently. One of the good things about having receivers with very different attributes.

That said, I'd rather have Robinson on the field ahead of White.

It looks like Roddy may always be plagued by the drops, which is freaking annoying, but it doesn't make him useless. He's still enough of a deep threat to be useful in that role. A D-coordinator can't assume that he is going to drop it in the endzone every time, so will have to provide coverage for those deep routes - with one of his fastest CBs. That also opens up the rest of the field underneath for our real receivers.

Also, Roddy has shown different ability in different routes. The slant, he stinks. Gets put off by the closing hit, I think. Probably best to leave them alone, I think. Deep routes, sometimes amazing, sometimes awful - but still useful (see above). He is best, it seems to me, at the short curl. CBs have to respect his speed, so leave him decent space. Roddy has yet to drop one of those short balls. And then his pace and incredible strength almost always gets him decent YAC as he literally wrestles forward.

So Roddy may be frustrating, but he is still useful. Not worth a first round pick, but that is history.

Robinson, on the other hand, is already looking like a top-10 pick. Hoorah for Paul Petrino!
i wanted to write something very similiar about roddy when shiver posted this but i could not work out how to word it, very very well said. I actually like the guy, he is an exiting player, i guess we now have a boom or bust (from play to play) WR instead of a boom or bust (from play to play) QB. Roddy will be an asset to the team, i can live with the drops he is great to watch...lol he's like a rollercoaster, football would be boring if everyone was perfect.

Also did you hear what Joey said when asked what he said to Roddy after the drop...

paraphrasing
"i told him forget it, im gonna come right back at you. And the next play he made a great catch on that 'in' route" - i liked hearing that

But yeh a 5 WR set of ...

Horn (old dependable possesion guy, great route runner)
Jenkins (hugeWR at 6"4 220+ /possession guy but is fast)
Roddy (strength and speed/ deep threat)
Jennings (quickness small and shifty)
Robinson (long strider deceptivly quick with great hands)

involves 5 very different guys that pretty much account for each style of WR in the nfl. I love it

Last edited by DraftMichaelHuff : 08-29-2007 at 11:53 AM.
DraftMichaelHuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:12 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really did like Roddy alot coming out, so it's a shame to see him not playing to his full potential. From what I've seen, Laurent has clearly outplayed him though, so Robinson needs to start.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:50 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

um, Joe Horn. I want Robinson starting. it should be:
WRX - Jenkins
WRZ - Robinson
3 - Horn
4 - Roddy
5 - Jennings

if roddy can learn how to catch then he can move up. otherwise.... he should be moved to KR/PR.

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:38 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Jenks Robinson and Horn should be on the field the most for sure.

Jennings could be better than Roddy...he's more consistent...I dunno we'll see, if Roddy can just focus on the easy stuff he'll be good to go.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:04 PM    (permalink
TheMadLionsFan
Rookie

TheMadLionsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

So what do you guys expect out of michael Jenkins?....is he plagued with the drops?....what is his status?
TheMadLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:08 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well he hasnt played significant minutes in preseason but this year should be good for him considering his size and decent speed. he's made good catches so hopefully he wont muff any easy catches when it counts.
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:20 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Jenkins doesn't have a problem with the dropsies, that's Roddy. Jenks is really a very formidible WR and will have 10+ TDs this year.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:11 PM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

fryman hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Is White really your #2? On the team's web site he is listed as the 1st string split end.
fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:26 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah he is but with our offense there will be many many plays where 3 or more receivers will be on the field. robinson has looked good but i guess the coaching staff is gonna go with experience in white.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:32 PM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

fryman hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

was Jenkins that bad in TC and preseason? I assume he is now the #3, still playing slot like last year?
fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:03 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WTF? White over Jenkins? I'm so confused... but considering we will be runnign a lot of 3 WR its ok by me... hopefully it's temporary.

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:51 AM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

if only roddy gets a little more confidence and gets over his habit of dropping catches, he and harrington might make a good long threat duo.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:50 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

It's because they want Jenkins in the slot because of the huge matchup problems he poses there. He's going to be all over the place.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:08 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

White has a lot more upside than Jenkins, no doubt about that. He just needs to get over the dropsies and catch the ball without thinking 'oh crap I can't drop this!' like he has.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote