Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum Discuss the Bucs

Old 08-30-2007, 12:32 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Draft Targets 08

The Preseason is really boring me and we're lacking some good draft discussion. College season starts tonight so I figured we need a thread to target players we like who fit our system. Then we can "scout" their games and evaluate, fun! Seniors only for now. Here goes my current targets by position:

OFFENSE

QB

Colt Brennan: No explanation necessary, other than how I think he's the best fit for our system of any QB in the draft. Spreads the ball well, makes quick reads and can scramble.

Matt Flynn: Athletic and impressive in his short experience. Could really breakout, look out for him tonight against Miss St. 6'3 228.

RB

Kregg Lumpkin: Great size (6'1 222) and has produced consistently over 3 years. He would be a nice 2nd option to Caddy.

Chauncey Washington: Similar to Lumpkin, only he has some injury concerns. Could be a steal if he loses time in their backfield.

Jacob Hester: Good receiving option as a FB, and could replace Alstott as our TB in our heavy package. 6'0 230.

WR

DeSean Jackson: I'll break the underclassman rule here. Game-changing speed
and improving receiver. Would replace Galloway. Could fix return woes as well.

Andre Caldwell: In-state product has speed, hands and experience. Could play in the slot right away and be an eventual starter. Kick return experience as well.

Harry Douglas: Underrated deep threat who never stops making plays. Undersized (5'11 170) but has great hands and reminds me of Galloway.

Maurice Purify: I don't think we need another big target but he's an interesting guy to look at (6'4 220). He was inconsistent as a JUCO transfer last year but still managed to make some big plays.

There's a million other solid WR prospects this year but I'm lazy so just keep your eyes open.

TE

Anthony Hill: Massive (6'6 265) and productive TE. Athleticism is a concern but he plays in a TE-happy offense and is a better prospect than TJ Williams IMO.

OT

We seem to be going after size and more size on the line, so King Dunlap is a guy to look out for (6'9 325). He's the anchor of Auburn's line and could surprise with his athleticism, which is underrated at this point.

OG

Andrew Bain: My homer pick of the day. Bain is massive at 6'3 330+ and has athleticism to boot. He squats 700 lbs too.

C

Fernando Velasco. At 6'4 328, he could provide depth anywhere in the interior. Saw action his entire career and was the team MIP last year, improving greatly as a Junior.

I will add more as the season passes by and look for defense soon as well.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:12 PM    (permalink
Tampa 2 4 life
All-Pro

Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I always have to have the Bucs drafting one USF each year, so...

CB: Mike Jenkins - Shutdown corner with the size and tackling ability to play in the cover two, Runs about a 4.5. I don't even think Louisville and WVU threw to his Side last year.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:51 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He must run faster than a 4.5. He is the fastest player on USF. Trae Williams is also a decent prospect but doesn't fit our defense that well.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-30-2007, 09:12 PM    (permalink
Tampa 2 4 life
All-Pro

Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
He must run faster than a 4.5. He is the fastest player on USF. Trae Williams is also a decent prospect but doesn't fit our defense that well.
He ran 4.5 at his high school, I dunno what he runs now. I don't think he's the fastest player at USF, Trae has to be faster than him.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:13 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

According to my sources (magazine) he is.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-01-2007, 01:52 PM    (permalink
zCaddyz
Rookie

zCaddyz hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i would rather have Brandon Flowers
Old 09-01-2007, 03:07 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by zCaddyz View Post
i would rather have Brandon Flowers
Obviously, but why make this comment...

1) Flowers is a Junior.
2) He's first round caliber and not all targets here are that kind of caliber.
3) We're talking about lesser known prospects and you bring in an ACC guy. If you like Brandon Flowers you can reword your comments so you're not undermining the players mentioned.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-01-2007, 04:03 PM    (permalink
Tampa 2 4 life
All-Pro

Quote:
According to my sources (magazine) he is.
Just checked it out, my bad, Jenkins runs about a 4.37, Williams a 4.4, Jenkins would still fit the cover two though, with his size and tackling ability.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:06 PM    (permalink
zCaddyz
Rookie

where does it say anything bout lesser know players etk
Old 09-01-2007, 07:07 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
where does it say anything bout lesser know players etk
The point is that we would all rather have Brandon Flowers, it was unnecessary for you to say that. We're talking about USF prospects and you mention one of the best corners in the nation. He's a great tackler and a great player but will he be available in the 2nd/3rd round? Will he even declare this year?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-01-2007, 07:44 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

DEFENSE

DE

Jameel McClain: Racked up 9.5 sacks last year after switching from LB to DE. He fits the mold we look for in our LDEs and then some...He has the stout build (needs to add to his frame a bit) and is very powerful in engaging blockers at the line. Plays with a motor and has athleticism and pass rush ability as a bonus. Very versatile.

Kenny Iwebema: Not as physical as McClain but has a great build and is a productive three year starter. He can rush the passer in a few different ways and makes tackles in pursuit. Could plays either side in our line.

Eric Foster of Rutgers is another possibility.

DT

Andre Fluellen/Paul Griffin. I love both FSU prospects. Fluellen is a three year starter with rare quickness in getting to the backfield. Griffin is more of a physical defensive tackle who can hold up the line at the point of the attack. He needs to bulk up a bit and stay healthy but he could interchange at Nose or Under in our defense.

Keilen Dykes. 4 years of starting experience as a NT on a 3-man line. Very disruptive with his use of hands and ability to diagnose plays. Would be a solid
replacement for Hovan in the future because he can stuff the run and make tackles at the line.

OLB

Nick Watkins: No brainer for me. 2 year starter at WLB at Clemson. He's fast and makes plays with desire. Tackling machine who's also solid in zone coverage. Look out for him breaking records this year and making FSU look stupid on Monday.

Bo Ruud: Barrett's brother disappointed me last year, getting outshone by his two LB mates, but I still think he has more potential than Barrett. He's a solid linebacker in all aspects of the position and will have a year of strongside experience this year after switching over to replace Bradley.

Xavier Adibi fits well too but he really struggles to shed and deal with blockers
so I wouldn't want to spend a high pick on him.

MLB

A run stuffer like Brandon Miller or Rodrick Johnson would be nice for depth. How about Ben Moffit from USF ;)?

CB

Dejuan Tribble: He racked up another 3 INT game this week, but he might be pigeonholed as this year's Daymeion Hughes. That leaves us to jump on him as a playmaking replacement for Barber.

Dwight Lowery: Another huge playmaker that lacks the physical qualities to be a high draft pick. He might struggle adjusting to coverage in the NFL but his tackling ability will give him a chance to start down the road.

S

Darien Williams: Could get outshone by other safeties at Oklahoma, but I still like him as a solid FS prospect. Roams well in coverage and not afraid to help in run support. Solid but unspectacular.

Erick Wicks: Do-it-all safety who can play either side. He spends a lot of plays in the box and would be great in run support (and blitzing), but he can also defend in zone.

Please feel free to mention other players, especially those who are lesser known.

sig by BoneKrusher

Last edited by etk : 09-02-2007 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:36 PM    (permalink
Tampa 2 4 life
All-Pro

Quote:
How about Ben Moffit from USF ;)?
I would love that if we could get him in 3-5th rounds, He's a beast as a tackler but is only average everywhere else. The thing is, A couple of magazines have rated him top 100 and he's going to have a sick statistical year with Nicholas gone to steal his tackles, so we'll see if his stock rises, but I would love that pick.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:53 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Team/Draft Needs 2 weeks into the season:

1. CB: No youth here. We may have to draft 2 in this year's draft. Signing a good fit is a distinct possibility.
2. WR: We will need speed to replace Galloway. A natural burner to stretch the field is essential in our current offense. Harry Douglas or bust is my philosophy ;)
3. QB: Garcia looks like the truth right now, but this is the year to groom his replacement assuming McCown & Grads never see the light. Brennan or Ryan in the 2nd would be nice. If not, it might not be worth it.
4. DL: Another man to add to our pressure rotation. Either a LDE, NT or UT. I really like our UT rotation right now so the first 2 are more likely.
5. OT: Petitgout is enough to get by, for the moment. He can only decline from now so a priority should be placed on drafting/signing someone.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-21-2007, 09:04 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Team/Draft Needs 2 weeks into the season:

1. CB: No youth here. We may have to draft 2 in this year's draft. Signing a good fit is a distinct possibility.
2. WR: We will need speed to replace Galloway. A natural burner to stretch the field is essential in our current offense. Harry Douglas or bust is my philosophy ;)
3. QB: Garcia looks like the truth right now, but this is the year to groom his replacement assuming McCown & Grads never see the light. Brennan or Ryan in the 2nd would be nice. If not, it might not be worth it.
4. DL: Another man to add to our pressure rotation. Either a LDE, NT or UT. I really like our UT rotation right now so the first 2 are more likely.
5. OT: Petitgout is enough to get by, for the moment. He can only decline from now so a priority should be placed on drafting/signing someone.
CB - I agree. We definitely need some youth in the few drafts. I think P-Buc is more than capable of manning the #2 spot but him being the number #1 corner is a little optimistic.

WR - What would we do without Joey Galloway?

QB - If the Buc's continue to win a top flight QB will be out of range and I am definitely not a fan of a mid first round guy like Henne so Round 2 or 3 will probably be the place to draft our next QB.

DL - We obviously need a future LE but this could perhaps wait till Day 2 or the 09 draft. Our UT rotation has been decent, but I still think it could use an upgrade. If we have a chance at Dorsey we jump all over it.

OT - Like you said, Petitgout is a fine stop gap solution but we need a developmental guy for the future. I am however intrigued as to the play of Donald Penn.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:43 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
WR - What would we do without Joey Galloway?

QB - If the Buc's continue to win a top flight QB will be out of range and I am definitely not a fan of a mid first round guy like Henne so Round 2 or 3 will probably be the place to draft our next QB.

DL - We obviously need a future LE but this could perhaps wait till Day 2 or the 09 draft. Our UT rotation has been decent, but I still think it could use an upgrade. If we have a chance at Dorsey we jump all over it.

OT - Like you said, Petitgout is a fine stop gap solution but we need a developmental guy for the future. I am however intrigued as to the play of Donald Penn.
Joey G is the truth. We have 52 guys making up one half of our team, and Joey makes up the other. He's our better half.

Henne is DEFINITELY not a mid-first candidate. That would fall to Matt Ryan & Colt Brennan, both of which have enough talent and production to warrant heavy consideration.

I love Greg Spires more than almost anyone, but Calais Campbell is my #1 guy on the "Bucs board". I'll elaborate another time as to why, but rest assured he would be a monster for us in many different ways. If he's unavailable, I'm still holding onto Jameel McClain as a major steal candidate. Think Elvis Dumervil but better at stopping the run and worse at pass rushing. I really like the idea of a UT rotation. Elite UTs don't grow on trees and the position produces a plethora of busts. Even if we did find the next Sapp, there would still be the issue of stamina. It's very difficult to play consistently at the position over the course of a full game. A rotation saves money and stamina, as well as creating intense competition for PT. The offensive line gets different looks too as they have to deal with different skillsets. Haye, Peterson & Carter all look like keepers so far. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

OT is not my favorite option, but it deserves consideration. There may be a scenario where the top prospects like Campbell, Dorsey, QBs, WRs etc. are all gone. That's when Barry Richardson would be the pick.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-21-2007, 11:05 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I enjoy analysing potential fits for the Buccaneers however at this point in both the NFL season and college season it really difficult to gauge both our needs and the value of college players.

I simply threw out Henne's because until the recent fiasco at Michigan, Henne had been talked about as the potential leader of tier 2 QB's ie Brennan, Ryan, Ainge etc. I have a distinct feeling that Colt Brennan will be drafted in the mid - late first round where we will not have the option of drafting him however I think Ryan is a much more distinct possibility. A guy I really like is Ainge and he really intrigues me as far as a 2nd or 3rd round guy.

I agree, elite under tackles do not grow on trees but I believe Glenn Dorsey is an elite under tackle prospect. A player like Sedrick Ellis or Frank Okam is not an elite prospect so unless one took a huge slip on draft day I would be against drafting them in the 1st round. Dorsey on the other hand I would take before the likes of Calais Campbell. It is simply a matter of personal preference as I think Campbell would also be a great addition to the line. If however Haye were to continue to develop and Peterson showed us something for the future, this would lessen the need to draft an under tackle.

I'm also a believer in looking for an upgrade at C over John Wade. Wade is consistent and a leader on the O-Line but he could easily be upgraded on. I really don't know if Lehr brings anything more to the table than Wade and the Buenning experiment hasn't really panned out at the moment. Center is a position which takes the backseat to CB, OT, WR, DL etc but it does deserve consideration.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:28 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just generic thoughts, nothing specifc:

If Gruden and company makes it (meaning, probably at least .500, if not playoffs), I expect the draft to focus on (at least, day 1)

WR - Still need a young explosive playmaker for the next generation. Galloway's gonna run out of gas soon.

QB - I could easily see them collecting a QB day 1 ... not first round in all likelihood, but somewhere day 1 I could see it.

CB - Need some youth infusion.

RB - I really wonder if they might look for another back to, at least, split time with Caddy.

If Gruden and Co. are out, then I expect QB to top the list in regards to needs.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:10 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

I don't think the Buccaneers are going to make a running back a priority at all during the draft. Michael Pittman is a more than adequate #2 and I am honestly surprised he doe not get used more often. A goal line runner may be in order though.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:13 AM    (permalink
Beans
DC GFX Team
All-Pro

Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would Colt Brennan be a good fit for the team? I could see him going round one for us, perhaps.

bonekrusher on the sig magic
Quote:
<beans> libid dont worry man i think fondling big black men is a perfectly worthy career goal
<JBond> laughing so hard I am crying
Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:30 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
Would Colt Brennan be a good fit for the team? I could see him going round one for us, perhaps.
Yes he would be a good fit for Gruden's offense. He can make quick reads and deliver accurate passes. He also has good mobility which is why I think Gruden might favor him over any other Day 1 QB.

Once again, I don't find it necessary for us to have an elite under tackle. All we need is a solid rotation of fresh legs that are well coached in fundamentals. With that being said, I wouldn't be opposed to drafting Sedrick Ellis late in the 1st round if possible. Don't get caught up in the Dorsey hype, Ellis is the closest prospect I've ever seen to Sapp. He has the motor and physical nature along with the quickness to rush the QB. He full out pancaked one of Nebraska's guards this year. He's powerful and plays with great leverage. Dorsey is also a great prospect, but we would have to pay a stiffer price for him and I don't think it's worth it position-wise or prospect-wise.

As for RB, I wouldn't mind adding a complement to Caddy, say Cory Boyd to replace Pittman.

sig by BoneKrusher

Last edited by etk : 09-22-2007 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:39 PM    (permalink
zCaddyz
Rookie

im watching the usc game and sedrick ellis looks good and fast wat does he run
Old 09-23-2007, 08:50 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
im watching the usc game and sedrick ellis looks good and fast wat does he run
4.95 according to Scott, but I expect him to be faster at the combine.

sig by BoneKrusher