Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 09-01-2007, 05:19 PM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

dc4life needs more cowbell.
Default Surprise cuts...

IRVING, Texas - Despite the Cowboys having most of their starters, and even several backups, already in place since the start of training camp, the final cuts are never easy.

And while the Cowboys released 22 players on Saturday to trim down to the 53-player limit, it certainly couldn't have been easy for the club to let go of a savvy veteran with 13 years of experience, especially at a position that already has several question marks.

But that's what they did by cutting veteran cornerback Aaron Glenn, who was expected to be the team's nickel corner. Glenn started the final three preseason games in place of Terence Newman, who has a partial tear in his plantar fascia. But the Cowboys are hopeful Newman will be ready for the Sept. 9 opener against the Giants.

The Cowboys certainly hope he is, because not only did they release Glenn, but also cornerbacks Joey Thomas and Quincy Butler. That means fourth-year veterans Jacques Reeves and Nate Jones both survived the cuts, as did rookies Alan Ball and Courtney Brown, who was moved to safety in training camp.

In fact, all eight draft picks made the team, including sixth-round pick Nick Folk, who will handle all of the kicking duties, at least to start the season. That's because the Cowboys have placed veteran Martin Gramatica on injured reserve because of strained hamstring he suffered last week.

While Gramatica will be placed on IR, that doesn't guarantee his $800,000 base salary. It's likely the Cowboys will give him an injury settlement in the next few days. If that happens, Gramatica would not be eligible to return to the roster for at least six weeks, plus the length of the settlement.

Other notable cuts include outside linebacker Junior Glymph, one of the players picking up the slack in the absence of Greg Ellis (heel). While head coach Wade Phillips has said he is getting closer to ruling Ellis out for Sunday's game with the Giants, the roster moves don't actually reflect that statement.

The Cowboys have only three outside linebackers on the current roster in Ellis, DeMarcus Ware and rookie Anthony Spencer. However, second-year veteran Bobby Carpenter also has been taking reps on the outside. The Cowboys also waived outside backers John Saldi and Khari Long.

Phillips said earlier on Saturday that the Cowboys released some players who played well in Thursday's loss to the Vikings.

Two players from that group would include wide receiver Jerheme Urban, who scored on a 95-yard punt return, and quarterback Matt Moore, who played more than two quarters and engineered a touchdown drive.

The Cowboys also released fullback Lousaka Polite but kept Oliver Hoyte and rookie Deon Anderson on the roster.

Here is the complete list of roster moves the Cowboys made on Saturday:

Injured Reserve:
K Martin Gramatica

Waived:
QB Matt Moore
QB Richard Bartel
WR Mike Jefferson
WR Damarius Bilbo
WR Jerheme Urban
TE Rodney Hannah
TE Adam Bergen
LB Junior Glymph
LB Blair Phillips
LB John Saldi
LB Khari Long
CB Joey Thomas
CB Aaron Glenn
CB Quincy Butler
RB Arliss Beach
DT Remi Ayodele
G Trey Darilek
OL Matt Tarullo
RB Alonzo Coleman
FB Lousaka Polite
DE Marcus Smith

http://dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?id...78806D43E5AA24
dc4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:34 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Joey and Aaron Cut? Wow.

Remi being cut was also abit of a surprised. I was hyping him up.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:38 PM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Joey and Aaron Cut? Wow.

Remi being cut was also abit of a surprised. I was hyping him up.
Either Newman will play on Sunday, or we are making a trade for a CB right now. I hope to god we don't play with Reeves and Nate Jones as the NB on opening day.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:49 PM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow, I didn't expect Glymph, Glenn, Thomas and Moore to get cut...
And we kept 6 safeties at roster... Are we moving Courtney Brown back to CB?

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Last edited by Modano : 09-01-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:39 PM    (permalink
BX
Veteran

BX hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I don't understand the thinking behind Glenn's release. Sure, he was pretty old, but he could still contribute more then a 7th rounder ever could have.

Baffling.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:57 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

They must like Alan Ball a lot more than we realized. I wonder if the decision on Glenn was made after the Houston game?
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:56 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm in disbelief. I'd like to hear the reasoning behind several of these moves.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:04 PM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

fryman hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I would guess the Glenn is more of a business decision than performance decision, this is a business.

I was surprised by him and Thomas getting cut though. Then again Thomas would follow up a good play with several terrible ones. Also it kind of went under the radar, but Ball actually had a pretty good TC and preseason. It wasn't anything amazing, but he was solid.

Other than those two I don't think there is really anything surprising. Moore will likely clear waivers, so that was probably a good decision there.
fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:25 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
I'm in disbelief. I'd like to hear the reasoning behind several of these moves.
Don't say I did not warn you about Jerry. He wants to keep his kids.

If Jerry drafts them -- he keeps them. He thinks he is AJ Smith.

Last edited by robert_in_bigd : 09-01-2007 at 09:44 PM.
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:42 PM    (permalink
KILLERSANTA
Pro Bowler

KILLERSANTA hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I said this is a different thread but, I heard Alan Ball is doing great things.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:11 PM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

anybody seen any players released by other teams that could fill holes for us?

Only guy I have seen that interests me is Bruce Thornton. I think it would be worth it to bring him back as a 3rd or 4th corner. He would be an upgrade over Jones.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:19 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Qunetin Moses was cut by the Raiders. I wouldn't mine giving him a look at OLB. But man has he fallen from being a potential 1st round pick

As for CB. I don't know. I didn't even know Bruce Thornton was still in the league. Totally forgot that name.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:20 AM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Marquice Cole and Quentin Moses from the Raiders....
Old 09-02-2007, 01:06 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
Don't say I did not warn you about Jerry. He wants to keep his kids.

If Jerry drafts them -- he keeps them. He thinks he is AJ Smith.
Wow, do you know the reason why we kept this player? Amazing.

In Bob We Trust

Old 09-02-2007, 01:11 AM    (permalink
yno88
Rookie

yno88 could make a wolverine purr.yno88 could make a wolverine purr.yno88 could make a wolverine purr.yno88 could make a wolverine purr.yno88 could make a wolverine purr.yno88 could make a wolverine purr.

Junior Glymph was the biggest surprise to me.

Also there must be a CB we're looking to trade for or pick up off the scrap heap.

Philly dropped Marques Murrell. He shows definite possibilities as an edge rusher. He's Adrian Murrell's little brother.

Last edited by yno88 : 09-02-2007 at 01:14 AM.
yno88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 01:59 AM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Qunetin Moses was cut by the Raiders. I wouldn't mine giving him a look at OLB. But man has he fallen from being a potential 1st round pick

As for CB. I don't know. I didn't even know Bruce Thornton was still in the league. Totally forgot that name.
Yeah Thornton started quite a few games for the 49ers last year and was decent.

I didn't see Moses was cut. I would be more that willing to give him a shot with how low we are on LBs. Buster Davis and Edge Hartwell were both cut, but I would rather keep Carp in the middle with his skill set.

I would like to see Xzavie Jackson and Anthony Bryant brought in for tryouts as well.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:24 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope we get Moore on our practice squad. Other than that, I'm not real bummed about our cuts.

Jimmy Kennedy was cut. I wonder if his big good for nothing unrealized talent salvagable?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:54 PM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Ok, it seems that the team is high on Reeves and Ball at CB. I hope they're right, because Reeves will be our starting NB.
Do you think we're going to make some moves, or we're gonna stay with these guys?
And do you think we're gonna add another LB? We have only 7 LB's, one of them is injured and hasn't practiced for the whole TC and the other is questionable for sunday.
The thing I don't really understand is why we decided to keep 6 safeties. It's for the special teams or there's another reason?

By the way, the fact that all of our 8 picks in this year's draft made the team is for sure a good thing.

In Bob We Trust

Old 09-02-2007, 04:05 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano View Post
Wow, do you know the reason why we kept this player? Amazing.
So you are trying to tell me that a team with SUPER BOWL talent jsut kep their entire draft class from 2007?

Was there an NFL Team even that talent poor to keep a 5, 6 and two 7s? I thought we had Super Bowl talent?

Amazing is your constant excuses for this team's upper management. That is truly amazing.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:06 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I hope we get Moore on our practice squad. Other than that, I'm not real bummed about our cuts.

Jimmy Kennedy was cut. I wonder if his big good for nothing unrealized talent salvagable?
Jimmy Kennedy was cut because he does not maintain Gap responsbibility and seems to think he is a DE.

Adam Carriker is already better than him.

Definately talented but you gotta be a nuckle head to throw it away like he has.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:08 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
By the way, the fact that all of our 8 picks in this year's draft made the team is for sure a good thing.
My god you are monumentally blind and a real d**b a**.

Super Bowl team keeping an entire draft class. Incredible.

WOOOPEEEEEEEEE! Alan Ball!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2007, 04:39 PM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

Cool

Quote:
Ok, it seems that the team is high on Reeves and Ball at CB. I hope they're right, because Reeves will be our starting NB.
Do you think we're going to make some moves, or we're gonna stay with these guys?
And do you think we're gonna add another LB? We have only 7 LB's, one of them is injured and hasn't practiced for the whole TC and the other is questionable for sunday.
The thing I don't really understand is why we decided to keep 6 safeties. It's for the special teams or there's another reason?

Either that, or Jerry won't be cutting the guys HE drafted. He's too stubborn to cut them and won't admit he messed up this early.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:46 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc4life View Post
Either that, or Jerry won't be cutting the guys HE drafted. He's too stubborn to cut them and won't admit he messed up this early.
Cab you please explain to Modano how dumb he sounds?

I have tried but he thinks Jerry Jones is AJ Smith, Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick and Bill Walsh rolled into 1.

You said, it. Jerry is keeping his kids. Jerrah';s Kidz.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:08 PM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

Alan Ball-DB-Cowboys Sep. 2 - 6:03 pm et

Cowboys waived CB Alan Ball and S Abram Elam.
Elam was one of the club's better special teams performers, but Dallas chose Keith Davis over him. Ball, a rookie, could go on the practice team.
Source: Dallas Morning News
Old 09-02-2007, 05:44 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc4life View Post
Alan Ball-DB-Cowboys Sep. 2 - 6:03 pm et

Cowboys waived CB Alan Ball and S Abram Elam.
Elam was one of the club's better special teams performers, but Dallas chose Keith Davis over him. Ball, a rookie, could go on the practice team.
Source: Dallas Morning News
There goes rob's take on Jerry's Draft Favoritism Theory.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote