Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

Old 08-16-2009, 08:52 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even before this game, my thinking is that Shockey (healthy again) is going to have a very good season this year. Big season.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:17 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ugh, we still get no push in the running game.

I just don't get the staff's obsession in Jason David.... He doesn't do anything but get burnt, like he has really brought nothing. No one can possibly do worse.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:46 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Even before this game, my thinking is that Shockey (healthy again) is going to have a very good season this year. Big season.
Provided he's healthy I don't see any reason why he should not.. from everything I've heard he's put in the extra effort this off-season to work with Drew on the finer points of timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post

I just don't get the staff's obsession in Jason David.... He doesn't do anything but get burnt, like he has really brought nothing. No one can possibly do worse.
Running game is a concern but 1 pre-season game with limited snaps isn't enough to get a fair evaluation.. I'm sure they're still ironing out things through out training camp in that department. Come Week 1 against the Lions... if they still can't get anything going then I'll worry.

As far as David I think he only really saw that much time vs the Bengals because Porter was out, and they didn't want to throw Jenkins in there too early.. if he makes the team it will be because we carry 5 CBs.. and Greg Williams will not have him on the field if he is going to be a liability.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:44 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post

well they waived jason david so the obsession is over :)

Saints 2014 draft

1st: Jason Verrett
2nd: Donte Moncrief
3rd: Jimmy Ward
4th: JaWuan James
5th: Dri Archer
6th: Gabe Ikard
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:16 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

38-14 win over the Texans. The most important thing coming away from this game was that the Saints actually showed the ability to run the ball with some effectiveness. Mike Bell went a long way towards locking up the 3rd RB spot behind Bush/PT with his performance, very decisive North-South running today.

Again on Defense they gave up some yardage, but for a pre-season game the overall effort was solid. I'm not sure if the Texans would've went for it on 4th down that early in the game if it was the regular season; and even still the penalty was iffy. Still would like to see them come up and lock down the run a little better, but then again with a healthy Schaub, and those weapons that Offense will cause frustration to a quite a few Defenses this season.

I thought Adrian Arrington looked very impressive, made plays when he was in there and made a really nice adjustment on the deep pass from Brunell on the last drive. I don't know if he's going to make it with the Receivers we have, but I think he's a darn good receiver. Would've liked to see Meachem do a little more with the opportunities he had, especially after his performance against the Bengals. He still has has some maturing to do.. There was a deep pass where Meachem was held up by the Corner, but after the contact he just stopped going on the play and they ended up not calling the Interference most likely because he didn't play through the entire play.

Special Teams is still a major concern. Penalties, shaky Field Goal kicking.. it seems like they need to work on this area a lot.. leading up to the Regular season. It is a weakness as of now.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:47 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

damn we are looking good again. Lets hope we can look as dominant in the regular season

Saints 2014 draft

Old 08-29-2009, 03:51 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Our offense has pretty much been able to do whatever it wants this pre-season.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:56 PM    (permalink
NOLAFan
Rookie

NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Our offense has pretty much been able to do whatever it wants this pre-season.

That maybe true but look at what they and who against...not exactly playoff teams. Plus its preseason. If they are still doing that by week 5 then we can talk but its preseason
NOLAFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:13 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAFan View Post
That maybe true but look at what they and who against...not exactly playoff teams. Plus its preseason. If they are still doing that by week 5 then we can talk but its preseason
It's still impressive when you put up those type of numbers without your two starting RB's and your starting LT.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:53 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've never been one to get overly excited about preseason results. I am however excited to start the season based on our preseason results thus far.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:55 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Week One: Detriot Lions @ New Orleans Saints

GEAUX SAINTS!

This game has me worried, but I'm still excited for it.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:17 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

In all respect for the Lions and the turn around nature of the NFL... this is a game the Saints should be in control of through out and on paper should be able to win by a fair margin. I just believe they are the more talented, and experienced team all around.

It's time to see what Greg Williams is all about when the snaps actually matter, and he won't have to hold any of his play calling back. He should make the conditions for a rough debut for Stafford.

Although there is a part of me that worries from past Saints disappointments, I believe this team will get it done atleast in this first game. If they seriously struggle against this Lion team after their Off-season, and pre-season performance I'm going to wonder about what direction Payton is heading this team towards.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:51 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

Saints should come out of the blocks firing and if that happens it is an easy win. Keep the losing spirit up with the lions and crush hope early and it will be a big win. Come out limping and the game can get way tougher than you want.

Geaux Saints

Saints 2014 draft

Old 09-13-2009, 12:22 PM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just dropped Meachem in fantasy and he scores a TD...bad move on my part?
BuckNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:45 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
I just dropped Meachem in fantasy and he scores a TD...bad move on my part?
Sounds like an FML moment.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:12 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

27-45 Saints in the lead with 8:30 left in the 4th. I like our offensive production, but we should not have given up this many points. Deja vu type moment?

Old 09-13-2009, 03:37 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Win #1 in the books.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
27-45 Saints in the lead with 8:30 left in the 4th. I like our offensive production, but we should not have given up this many points. Deja vu type moment?
Going to write up a more comprehensive review of the game, overall there are some concerns I thought Offensively we met expectations mostly, I don't fault the Defense for a lot of those points because most of Lions scores came off horrible Special teams mistakes, and the major dagger Big play came when Tracy Porter went out of the game for a play and the Rookie Malcolm Jenkins had to step in and was promptly baptized by Calvin Johnson but overall the yardage they gave up was solid.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:14 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, the defense actually played darn well. Take away our turnovers and horrid special teams and it's really ugly for the Lions.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Old 09-13-2009, 04:47 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

First and foremost praises go out to Mike Bell, I'm really glad to have him on this team..today he gaves us the rushing presence we've missed in the past, and took some of the pressure off of Drew so that he wouldn't have to do it all. Even though looking at his stat line it kind of seems like he did do it all.

Special teams is a major concern, right now it's hard to not see Bush as a liability on Punt Returns. The botched punt return, and then the almost fumble.. I'd say maybe until some improvement is seen put Moore back there.. we probably won't see any explosive returns but the way our Offense is playing I'd rather take
solid returns, and fair catches.. then lose field position, or possibly turn it over on returns.

Blocking on Kickoff returns for the most part was poor, the 43 yard punt return that was almost returned for a TD was poor coverage, poor blocking on the blocked FG... all around Payton will have plenty of reason to be upset at every angle of Special teams and a lot will need to be worked on. The only bright spot maybe was Morstead solid punts, and strong kickoffs.

Reggie struggled in the run game he had some decent runs late in the game, I'm not sure if that can be attributed to some rustiness with him missing almost the entire pre-season or not, but I am concerned. Otherwise can't
complain too much with the Offensive performance..

- Brees almost near flawless
- Good to see Shockey back in the mix, 0 tds last season, 2 in the first game. He will be a factor
- Meachem solid performance, Devery coming up with big plays... his only mistake was not falling forward for a first down and losing his forward progress in the 1st qtr
- Heath Evans brings a lot more athleticism to the Fullback spot, and it showed with some of his nice plays

Some will look at the 27 points the Lions scored and say same old Defense, I say the Defense played well considering their first game. They only gave up 231 net yardage, 1 of their TDs came off of a fumble return. Another score came off a 43 yard Punt return that started them at our 13. Overall it was nice finally bringing some diverse pressure packages, and it seemed like our rush really started to rattle Stafford and make him hurry his throws.

How many of you think that if Gibbs was still Coordinator we wouldn't have seen that kind of pressure, and Stafford would've been able to step up into a lot more of his throws? Also it pays to have an experienced Free Safety back there in
the secondary.. Sharper took possible points away from them with 2 clutch Interceptions. I will say the players are still getting used to Greg Williams scheme, but I'm liking this direction the Defense is going much more than at this point last season.

I think next week against the Eagles is going to be a dog-fight (no pun intented) even if McNabb doesn't play... they looked strong handing the Panthers quite easily... they have some solid all around units, and that Secondary will be tough to challenge.. we need to prepare for a rough road game. I think we have
the guys to handle it though. Who Dat Saints until then.. good to open up with a victory.

Last edited by Auron : 09-13-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Auron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:49 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What's up with Bush hardly touching the ball? Were the Saints trying to ease him into game action? Benching him for the fumbles?
Old 09-13-2009, 05:03 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
What's up with Bush hardly touching the ball? Were the Saints trying to ease him into game action? Benching him for the fumbles?
Other then a few plays Bush struggled mightily in this game. I mentioned earlier that he missed almost the entire pre-season trying to heal up a banged up knee and I'm guessing that was the major factor.

Other then a nice pass reception when he was split out wide, he was shaky.. he muffed a punt deep in our own territory which was lost and gave the Lions excellent Field position in the first half. He also fumbled another punt return, which thankfully was recovered.

I think he'll be eased along this season, I'm just glad we have Mike Bell, and hopefully Pierre Thomas back soon. Bush will recover I think, he just needs to let the game flow to him.. he looked quite shaky out there today.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:06 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post

- Brees almost near flawless
- Good to see Shockey back in the mix, 0 tds last season, 2 in the first game. He will be a factor
- Meachem solid performance, Devery coming up with big plays... his only mistake was not falling forward for a first down and losing his forward progress in the 1st qtr
- Heath Evans brings a lot more athleticism to the Fullback spot, and it showed with some of his nice plays

As long as these things are in place, Reggie can take his time getting back into the rhythm of the game.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:27 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
As long as these things are in place, Reggie can take his time getting back into the rhythm of the game.
Exactly. As evidenced by today we can win even when Reggie doesn't have a great game... his presence on the field is enough to help open things up.. and it will be even sweeter when he does get back in sync and starts putting up the numbers we expect from him.

We just can't have any momentum changing turnovers.. that's the main thing that has killed us in the past.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:58 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Quote:
Auron pretty much hit it on the head.