Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 09-07-2007, 11:40 AM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Lemme give this a try :)

- Sacks will go up, but so will big plays given up
- Spears is a bust
- Ware will still not rush the passer better than Merriman, although his sack numbers will go up compared to last year.
- Roy Williams will have the same struggles
- Age in the CB position will rear its ugly head
- Canty will disappoint
- Phillips can't control the personalities on this team
- If individual development was not improved upon, this defense will not improve with a change in scheme
- The pass rush will improve, but not to the effect that many believe it will. You won't see a charger's like pass rush.
- Marion Barber will establish himself as a legitimate top back in the NFL
- Julius Jones still needs a fullback, he lacks the vision to produce well in the 2TE set.
- Romo is legit.
- Fasano will have a great year
- We're so due for a TO outburst. It'll come soon enough.
- This team won't win the division, but has a solid chance at a wildcard spot, depending on how well Phillips motivates and controls his players.
Funny, but I agree that Canty has not been any better than Spears. At the same time his is playing over the LT whereas Marcus get the ugly sister RT. They both seems stuck in the mud when moving upfield. But both can be turned into DTs because they are pretty stout. (**god, I am pissing people off.)

Hatcher and Ratliff though ..... particularly, Hatcher will be better than Mario Williams (add this one) barring leg problems. Hatcher just seems to have the sensations for speed. Jimmy Johnson used to talk about this with big guys.

On TO, don't think so this year. Contract is up I think. I think he really does like Romo. I see a more relaxed guy than last year.

Roy Williams is my favorite subject. Enuff said.

But god, Cleveland will just hands us Kenny Phillips or Darren McFadden or Jake Long. I can feel it in my bones.
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:25 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

- Julius Jones still needs a fullback, he lacks the vision to produce well in the 2TE set.
I never thought about this, that actually might help him ALOT more when I really think about it, something he should think about when he finds a new team at the end of this season :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:53 PM    (permalink
nrcirc
Veteran

nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1). 10-6 a division winner because of our offense
2). Our run defense is below average this season
3). Cowboys will use 2 out of first 3 picks to draft two CBs.
4). This will be Adams last year.
5). Terry Glenn will retire after this year
6). Roy Williams, Jason Hatcher, and Brady James all have great season
7). Carpenter is not going have good season (I hope I am wrong on this)
8). Terry Owen will be cut or trade after this season
9). Ware will not have a great season but still get 14+ sacks.
10). Barber and JJ are going run more than 2000 yards.
nrcirc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:18 PM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We arent playing the Two TE set this year are we? I thought we were moving back to the traditional Two back??? With the occasional Two TE to confuse the D...
shane_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:12 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Lemme give this a try :)
- The pass rush will improve, but not to the effect that many believe it will. You won't see a charger's like pass rush.
I just wanted to point out that I am not one of those believers. Our LBs might produce a good pass rush, but the key to bringing the pass rush up to the elite level is getting good pressure from the DL and we just don't have that.

Olshansky/Williams/Castillo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Spears/Ferguson/Canty.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:51 AM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

fryman hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_man View Post
We arent playing the Two TE set this year are we? I thought we were moving back to the traditional Two back??? With the occasional Two TE to confuse the D...
I believe so, they played a ton of i-form and off-set I in the preseason. Some of it was starting out in the 2 TE set, then motioning Fasano into the back field though. It seems Phillips has the same h-back plan for him as Parcells had.
fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:33 AM    (permalink
Average OT LB
Veteran

Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.Average OT LB is a cocksman.

I predict the cowboys will struggle to win games within their division.. and wont win the close games all season..

ill predict 7-9 and chaos in dallas

sig by bosanac01
Average OT LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:30 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BBD age at CB? We have one CB over 30...what are you getting at?

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:42 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
BBD age at CB? We have one CB over 30...what are you getting at?
Im glad you asked that. Good observation on your part. I think, and this is just me personally, that teams will use alot of 3 WR sets against the Cowboys this year to spread the defense and make blitzes easier to read presnap.

Spreading them out also allows them to isolate certain matchups which they can use in their favor. Wade has never been great at designing good pass coverages, so if you spread his guys out, and isolate certain mismatches, I think you'll have more success against this system opposed to packing it in and coming out in big tight formations. Unless he adjusts and goes with an all out man coverage scheme, but I don't think he's gonna do that.

And Im uncertain about how well Glenn (i believe its Glenn, unless Im getting the names confused) can hold up if they isolate him all season. He'll do fine against physical WRs, but speedsters could give him trouble.

Actually...i just remembered that last year the Cowboys lined Newman up in the slot for this exact reason. Hmmm, that kinda throws off my whole idea lol. Eh, whatever, who knows, maybe i could still be right.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:45 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I just wanted to point out that I am not one of those believers. Our LBs might produce a good pass rush, but the key to bringing the pass rush up to the elite level is getting good pressure from the DL and we just don't have that.

Olshansky/Williams/Castillo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Spears/Ferguson/Canty.
Yup. Now matter what defensive scheme you run, everything starts up front. You can make an argument that the dline is more important in a 3-4 defense than a 4-3, because youre essentially asking 3 guys to do the job that 4 guys normally do.

Im still not ready to totally hammer the nail in the coffin just yet with Spears. I'll give him until week 8. But I must say, right here right now its not looking that great. He is a great run stuffer though, I'll give him that.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:50 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Yup. Now matter what defensive scheme you run, everything starts up front. You can make an argument that the dline is more important in a 3-4 defense than a 4-3, because youre essentially asking 3 guys to do the job that 4 guys normally do.

Im still not ready to totally hammer the nail in the coffin just yet with Spears. I'll give him until week 8. But I must say, right here right now its not looking that great. He is a great run stuffer though, I'll give him that.
Hatcher can bring it though. His only problem is he was not drafted 1 so folks aren't pushing him.

But mark this down, that barring injury he will be better than Mario Williams. (* I know this sounds nuts but ...)

.... and Spears to NT if he wants to save his career.

Last edited by robert_in_bigd : 09-08-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:52 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
Hatcher can bring it though. His only problem is he was not drafted 1 so folks aren't pushing him.

But mark this down, that barring injury he will be better than Mario Williams. (* I know this sounds nuts but ...)
Oooh, I don't know about all that. Mario Williams is gonna have a big year. Thats my prediction :)

Hatcher, he's a great pass rusher. I remember him doing very well at UT in the nickel last year. But is he stoute enough against the run to start fulltime as a LE? We don't know that yet. He shouldve got more reps with the first unit in PS.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:53 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I hope you're right. He certainly hasn't shown signs of that type of production on the field yet. If Hatcher can be a mainstay along the line and be desruptive in backfields, then I my draft hopes for him would come to fruition.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:54 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Oooh, I don't know about all that. Mario Williams is gonna have a big year. Thats my prediction :)

Hatcher, he's a great pass rusher. I remember him doing very well at UT in the nickel last year. But is he stoute enough against the run to start fulltime as a LE? We don't know that yet. He shouldve got more reps with the first unit in PS.
He was injured. I am telling you he is more explosive than Williams coming off the edge and is around 300 lbs. I think he can play 315 and still bring it. Just has that little something.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:45 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He was injured. I am telling you he is more explosive than Williams coming off the edge and is around 300 lbs. I think he can play 315 and still bring it. Just has that little something.
I was happy to see us draft hatcher, loved the pic and knew it was an area where we could very well end up needing him...i hope your right about him and he gets a shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:17 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Im glad you asked that. Good observation on your part. I think, and this is just me personally, that teams will use alot of 3 WR sets against the Cowboys this year to spread the defense and make blitzes easier to read presnap.

Spreading them out also allows them to isolate certain matchups which they can use in their favor. Wade has never been great at designing good pass coverages, so if you spread his guys out, and isolate certain mismatches, I think you'll have more success against this system opposed to packing it in and coming out in big tight formations. Unless he adjusts and goes with an all out man coverage scheme, but I don't think he's gonna do that.

And Im uncertain about how well Glenn (i believe its Glenn, unless Im getting the names confused) can hold up if they isolate him all season. He'll do fine against physical WRs, but speedsters could give him trouble.

Actually...i just remembered that last year the Cowboys lined Newman up in the slot for this exact reason. Hmmm, that kinda throws off my whole idea lol. Eh, whatever, who knows, maybe i could still be right.
Aaron Glenn got cut.

Jaqueez Reeves is now the 3rd corner. Of course Newman would slide inside if he was playing. However if Newman is out Reeves will be playing outside with Nate Jones in the middle.

For the record I think you were talking about Anthony Henry as the guy who will hold his own against physical WR's.

Our pass coverage as a whole comes down to how healthy is newman when he plays for us. If he can cut at 100% we'll be great because we can cloud cover to Henry's side which gives QB's small windows to the sideline. Having trouble understanding what I'm saying? Just picture how teams defended TO in between the 20's. They would jam him at the line playing the inside...with the safety right over the top. The QB has a extremely tough throw trying to squeez over the CB without getting it batted and getting it there before the safety shows up. With a healthy Newman we can opperate one of hell of pass coverage scheme.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:20 PM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

We have yet to see Spears play one meaningful down in his new role. Lets hold off on proclaiming him a total bust until we see what he can do in the new role. Kind of hard to get to the QB when you are engaged before you are supposed to start your rush. His role will be almost the exact opposite as last years.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:32 PM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

dc4life needs more cowbell.

1) 11-5 NFC east champs.
2) Defense is top 5 overall in the NFL.
3) DeMarcus Ware leads the team/nfc with 15 sacks.
4) Marion Barber becomes the featured back by week 9.
5) Marcus Spears will see the bench by week 5.
6) Roy unleashes havoc near the LOS. Leads all DBs with 5 sacks 5 ints.
7) Nick Folk will hit 2 game winners.
8) Last but not least, Newman starts week 1! lol
dc4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:15 AM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryman View Post
We have yet to see Spears play one meaningful down in his new role. Lets hold off on proclaiming him a total bust until we see what he can do in the new role. Kind of hard to get to the QB when you are engaged before you are supposed to start your rush. His role will be almost the exact opposite as last years.
He played 4 quarters in game 4 of preseason and did nothing.

If I was betting .......
Old 09-09-2007, 10:34 AM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

Quote:
He played 4 quarters in game 4 of preseason and did nothing.

If I was betting .......
MEANINGFUL down

I will give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. I wouldn't take a bet on it lol, but it could just as easily go either way with his physical abilities.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:58 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryman View Post
MEANINGFUL down

I will give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. I wouldn't take a bet on it lol, but it could just as easily go either way with his physical abilities.

If he had a record of performance then it is meritted. But he does not so none is given.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:32 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post

- The team is going to regret not taking Alan Branch in seasons to come, maybe even as soon as this year.
Wow.

Painfully prophetic.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:42 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
Wow.

Painfully prophetic.
What's even more painful is that there isn't a NT in next year's draft in his class.

I want to make a trade for Shaun Rogers.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:07 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
What's even more painful is that there isn't a NT in next year's draft in his class.

I want to make a trade for Shaun Rogers.
What would Detroit want??? They are now stacked at RB... Watkins? 1st rounder next year?
shane_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:35 AM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Um.....what about Okam?
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote