Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 09-11-2007, 02:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
Um.....what about Okam?
Okam... yeah maybe. I think he's a two gap type lineman, but I may be in the minority. A lot of it depends on his mentality. You just gotta really want to do it.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:54 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Okam scares me a little. He's a boom or bust type in my eyes at the moment. I think a safer move would be seducing Pittsburgh to give up Hampton for a 2nd. Theyre converting to Cover 2 anyway, a 2nd rounder would definately get them thinking.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:52 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Okam scares me a little. He's a boom or bust type in my eyes at the moment. I think a safer move would be seducing Pittsburgh to give up Hampton for a 2nd. Theyre converting to Cover 2 anyway, a 2nd rounder would definately get them thinking.
I'd do that in a flash. I'd even do that for Shaun Rogers.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:51 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Um.....what about Okam?
Watch him fall down the draft boards just like any DT that has came out of Texas in the last 5 years. He already has conerns about taking plays off and not playing up to his potential. He will fall just like the rest.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:52 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tomlin also had Pat Williams in MN. He realizes what a big body in the middle can do for your run game. No way Hampton is traded away from Pittsburgh.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-12-2007, 03:35 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Tomlin also had Pat Williams in MN. He realizes what a big body in the middle can do for your run game. No way Hampton is traded away from Pittsburgh.
I agree. Getting a starting NT via trade (that we'd want) is nearly impossible. The draft and FA is the only foreseeable way. This year's draft sucks... How does FA look?
Old 09-12-2007, 03:56 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Was it Tomlin's call though? Pat was there before Tomlin was there. Tomlin wants to run a pure Tampa 2 style D, but he adjusts to fit his personnell. I think he slowly wants to change the Steelers to a Tampa 2 as well. If you entice him with a good draft pick, that gives him every excuse to change over to the Tampa 2, because he gets a good draft pick out of it, and he trades away the 3-4's most integral player.

Its worth a phonecall I think.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:15 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Was it Tomlin's call though? Pat was there before Tomlin was there. Tomlin wants to run a pure Tampa 2 style D, but he adjusts to fit his personnell. I think he slowly wants to change the Steelers to a Tampa 2 as well. If you entice him with a good draft pick, that gives him every excuse to change over to the Tampa 2, because he gets a good draft pick out of it, and he trades away the 3-4's most integral player.

Its worth a phonecall I think.
I agree it's definately worth a phone call. But that is going to be about as far as it will get. Maybe if an elite DT was in this draft to make the scheme work it would make sense. But there doesn't look to be an elite UT. Pitt would have to have a reason to trade a player of his caliber. I don't see many options in the second round that could make up what he does for that defense.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-12-2007, 05:25 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Okam may be a fit, but then again he may not. The key is that he's been reported to take plays off. Whether he does or not is not for me to say, since I'm not his coach. What it does mean is that it's POSSIBLE that he's doing it and that isn't something I want to draft.

Almost universally great players in the NFL are praised for their 'great motor'. This goes for just about every position. If it's a universal trait of great players, and it's in question in a player, I would rather pass.

I prefer that we draft a player whom is a high motor player that may or may not have the perfect measurables as long as he does have as many of the other universal traits.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:28 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hmmmm, what would really be interesting is if we drafted Dorsey for them in return for their 1st this season, another first day pick and Hampton.

That might seem like a lot to give up, but anyone who saw Sapp in his prime knows how much an unstoppable force inside can do to boost your defense from very good to all-time status.

Hampton is an integral part of a 3-4 attack, but as a NT in a pure Tampa 2 scheme, he would be a waste of talent. More a luxury than a necessity.

Then, we may be able to package our two 1st rounders in a deal to move up and nab DMac or Long.

If we could come out of the draft with Hampton and a super blue chip guy I would probably quit my job and move to Dallas. FTW!!!
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:30 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dorsey would be a good addition, if he could rotate from NT to DE periodically. It's pretty well known that I think Dorsey is the premier defender to come out of LSU in years.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:35 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

For some reason I'm just not a fan of Dorsey. I like him in a 4 man line...but although we run a 1-gap scheme I still don't like the fit.

Funny how you mention motor guys LSU maybe you wanna join the Chris Long to Dallas with me. Talk about non-stop motor.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-12-2007, 05:36 PM    (permalink
Ware_HITStick
Rookie

Ware_HITStick hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

hey lsu, what do you think of Glenn Dorsey if one of our 1st round picks is high enough, could he play nose?
Old 09-12-2007, 07:17 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ware_HITStick View Post
hey lsu, what do you think of Glenn Dorsey if one of our 1st round picks is high enough, could he play nose?
He could play nose, but not full time. Even if he could withstand the pounding at the NT position you wouldn't be utilizing his true talents by having him at NT full time. His true talent is beating his man 1v1 and playing on the other side of the offensive line. He has the motor to do it and the strength to do it, but I'm not sure with his size he could be effective doing it full time. Now, rotating him at DE and NT and/or moving him up and down the line to create favorable matchups would be intriguing.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Old 09-12-2007, 07:18 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

Quote:
For some reason I'm just not a fan of Dorsey. I like him in a 4 man line...but although we run a 1-gap scheme I still don't like the fit.

Funny how you mention motor guys LSU maybe you wanna join the Chris Long to Dallas with me. Talk about non-stop motor.

From what I've read I think Long is a type of guy that would fit in well here. He comes from a 3-4 school at UVA already and is accustomed to playing DE there so the learning curve would be less steep. But, I haven't seen a UVA game in a couple of years so I can't say I've ever seen him play.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Old 09-13-2007, 10:38 PM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Am I the only person who looks at the draft for a NT and just targets the biggest blokes there? I dont really care for a guy who can beat his man at that position. Im looking for a guy who can hold up two guys and get a hand up if the QB decides to throw down the middle...
shane_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:09 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUALUM99 View Post
From what I've read I think Long is a type of guy that would fit in well here. He comes from a 3-4 school at UVA already and is accustomed to playing DE there so the learning curve would be less steep. But, I haven't seen a UVA game in a couple of years so I can't say I've ever seen him play.
The motor and 3-4 experience is great for Long, but his weight scares me for the NFL level.