Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: Do you ever feel like a huge dork.....
yes 28 82.35%
no 6 17.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2007, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Do you ever feel like a huge dork.....

because of your vast sports knowledge?

Quite often I get the feeling that I may be a huge sports dork when talking to some of my friends/coworkers. I mean, I know I've spent many happy years studying scores and stat lines to any and every sport (even ones I don't like), but I guess I've always just assumed that all guys do that. Lately I've been trying to get people at work involved in fantasy football, which is a topic I could discuss for days on end, but the conversation usually starts with "Uh, that Peyton Manning is pretty good" and ends with me uttering "No **** sherlock, tell me something I don't know. For instance, who was the leading receiver on an abysmal 2-14 Raiders team last year? What's that? You don't know? Try Ronald Curry ***wipe." sigh...

Now maybe it's just that my friends are really lame, or maybe it's that I'm just way too obsessive compulsive about many useless topics (which I am), but it really shouldn't be this hard to find people to have an in depth sports conversation with in person, should it? Usually I just end up walking away frustrated like the dude who's way too into Linux or World of Warcraft or web design and just can't find other people who 'get it'. Maybe I just don't have a life, or maybe I should start a "Geek Squad" for fantasy sports consultation. IDK, maybe I should just go back to checking the scores on my cell phone and ignoring people. Yea, that sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.
Vince Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:03 PM    (permalink
BrownsTown
All-Pro

BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Most of my friends are semi-knowledgable about sports. Even if they aren't, just talk about fantasy football so they can talk about good players or talk about the hometown team. It's better being that than a math nerd at least.
BrownsTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:04 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Icon

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In fact, yes, I do. I am in Milwaukee at college and I am sitting in my dorm room on a chat room site.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:05 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know exactly what you're saying. I almost get annoyed when people approach me at work or school who want to talk about sports with me. It takes me 10 seconds to realize that I know a hell of a lot more than they do, and I find myself thinking how dumb they are or wanting to tell them how wrong and mis-informed they are.

That's why I come to this site. NFLDC is generally filled with knowledgable people.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:06 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At work people call me ESPN(real creative nickname i know) because I talk about sports so much. Doesn't bother me too much
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:06 PM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

Man_Of_Steel hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Mostly all of my buddies are huge in sports so I dont really get that feeling.

It annoys the heck out of me though when you overhear someone you dont know say something completley wrong that everyone thinks is right.
Man_Of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:07 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i get called a dork for different reasons and i get called dork from all girls because of what i say i suppose. But yeah i guess i feel somewhat like a nerd/dork when it comes to nfl triva sometimes.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:12 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i'd feel like a dork if i knew a lot about computers or something but sports is fine
Old 09-07-2007, 10:16 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i do, and i feel bad sometimes. my dad knows a FAIR amount about sports, and i feel bad explaining stuff to him and going into details about how such and such rookie is gonna dominate and stuff. I hate to make him sound, for lack of a better word, "dumb"

he makes up for it by helping me with math hw, cuz he's an engineer :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:18 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

I dont feel like a dork I just feel like a loner.no one you can talk to about sports because they dont know as much as you do.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:18 PM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangini for pres View Post
i'd feel like a dork if i knew a lot about computers or something but sports is fine
My thoughts exactly.

I watch Drafts not Speeling Bees
Play Football not Dungeons and Dragons
Eat Steak not Tofu
I am a sports fan.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:20 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

its true, it sports, not dungeons and dragons.

but i hate feeling like a smartass.

i love my knowledge of sports, especially when i can yell at writers(cough PETER KING) about knowing more than them.
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:22 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man_Of_Steel View Post
My thoughts exactly.

I watch Drafts not Speeling Bees
Play Football not Dungeons and Dragons
Eat Steak not Tofu
I am a sports fan.
+rep when i can give it to you... spoken like a true sports fan
Old 09-07-2007, 10:23 PM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I definitely know more about college sports than my friends, but I have some who share almost equal knowledge on professional sports.
BuckNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:23 PM    (permalink
Canadian_kid16
All-Pro

Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
I dont feel like a dork I just feel like a loner.no one you can talk to about sports because they dont know as much as you do.

yes, loner is a better word. I don't have it too bad, but alot of friends like different sports than football, so I can't just ramble on about how Lousiville beat the **** out of a crappy team, or a Di-AA team beat #5 ranked mIchigan. I cna't tlak about that stuff to most people, but it isn't that bad for me

Proud fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Somewhat proud fan of the Toronto Blue Jays
Yes, a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs as well
A fan of the USF Bulls
Canadian_kid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:24 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
I definitely know more about college sports than my friends, but I have some who share almost equal knowledge on professional sports.
is that when you're hungover from stripper jet nights?
Quote:
Old 09-07-2007, 10:25 PM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
is that when you're hungover from stripper jet nights?
It always make my mornings tougher.
BuckNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:31 PM    (permalink
KILLERSANTA
Pro Bowler

KILLERSANTA hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

if you remove the words like, a, dork......then yes....
Old 09-07-2007, 10:35 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know a couple of smart guys on the team, but also alot of dumb ones
In middle school though i was the only who could speak on a reasonable level (I knew kids who thought Mike Vick was god)

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:37 PM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
I know a couple of smart guys on the team, but also alot of dumb ones
In middle school though i was the only who could speak on a reasonable level (I knew kids who thought Mike Vick was god)
If he was in college when you where in middle school than he was a god.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:38 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe thats why we come to forums like this? I have thought about that, and come to the conclusion that this is a great place to sorta vent your sports knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:40 PM    (permalink
trkaline
Pro Bowler

trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was talkin to my boy his team is the Jets....he was talking about how good Curtis Martin is and hes been retired so I try to tell him that and he don't believe its ********,
trkaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:43 PM    (permalink
Tubby
Pro Bowler

Tubby is a cocksman.Tubby is a cocksman.Tubby is a cocksman.

I am by FAR the most knowledgeable football fan I know, so when I say things like "Im surprised Will Herring is listed as our third string backup to Julian Peterson, I think he outperformed Lance Laury in the preseason", any conversation related to the seahawks stalls for a few moments while people try to figure out what I'm talking about. Makes me feel like a dork.

Sig by rainbeaukid2
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodachu View Post
Everyone pwns the Rams.
Tubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:43 PM    (permalink
ccB
All-NFLDC

ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ccB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah sometimes I talk sports with casual sports fans and I find myself going on and on and they just get a befuddled look on their face.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:45 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man_Of_Steel View Post
If he was in college when you where in middle school than he was a god.
i was in middle school 2 years ago, i can see why some may think he's really good since i live in VA, but top 3 QB?

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote