Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 09-09-2007, 11:34 PM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

dc4life needs more cowbell.
Default Start Barber Already!

It's coming!!!!!!!!
dc4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:40 PM    (permalink
Im_a_Romosexual
Pro Bowler

Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yes! I see a totally different team when Barber is out there.
Im_a_Romosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:41 PM    (permalink
Gribble
Pro Bowler

Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Totally agree man. There's just that attitude when he's on the field. The team runs tougher and everything loosens up downfield.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:09 AM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

As Prime Time says, he runs like it his last carry every time.
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:14 AM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

I'd like to sign him to a long term deal and perhaps use our first rounders on a DT/WR/CB/S next year.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:18 AM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

fryman hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

not going to happen yet at least, Jones played well minus the first few plays where he had to run behind Kosier for some reason.
fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:19 AM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think that the way the rotation worked tonight was just about perfect. Jones had an excellent game and Barber had enough carries to make a big impact on the game and also stay fresh enough to run as hard as he did.

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:25 AM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryman View Post
not going to happen yet at least, Jones played well minus the first few plays where he had to run behind Kosier for some reason.

That was perplexing. I think Garrett confused Kosier for Allen.
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:33 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think barber needs more carries, his role is fine, but its ridiculous the way things happens when he is in, he needs the ball in his hands alot more...dont know why it hasnt happened yet, but i see it shifting as the yr goes on...he's a beast, and needs touches to make something happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:47 AM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

fryman hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
That was perplexing. I think Garrett confused Kosier for Allen.
after that first series did they run behind him more than once here or there? I didn't really notice it after that, but maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention.
fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:23 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everytime JJ gets the ball I'm praying that he breaks a tackle...he runs hard...just can't break it....got to be disappointing for him.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:53 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

and everytime Barber gets the ball he runs someone over, gets the crowd in the game, and keeps the chains moving...I dont even understand what jones has done to deserve to start, not that he's terrible, but i cant remember the last game he outplayed barber

Quote:
Old 09-10-2007, 01:06 PM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

MB3 is a complete beast. He trucks people, plays the game with attitude, and gives 110% every play. Jerry should sign him to a long term contract right NOW so that we can focus on DT/WR/CB/DE etc in the draft.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:21 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend
and everytime Barber gets the ball he runs someone over, gets the crowd in the game, and keeps the chains moving...I dont even understand what jones has done to deserve to start, not that he's terrible, but i cant remember the last game he outplayed barber
Late last year. Barber was going like a busted asshole and Jones broke for a 60 odd yard gain(run down too)... lol

Anyway... While it works... DONT DON'T AVOID THE CENSORS FIX IT. Thats all I see in the current situation. Barber comes in for 10-15 plays a game max... FRESH and kills it. Jones doesnt have to handle the entire workload thus he can break down the Defence and Marion comes in to kill it off. This works. We have no guarantees that Marion can keep it up for the entire game(and when hes been forced too... I wasnt that impressed)... and if its working at the moment? Why buy into the possibility when it already works.

Last edited by njx9 : 09-11-2007 at 11:51 AM.
shane_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:50 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been pretty animate about JJ remaining the starter, but MB III is making a very strong case to become the starter. I'd like to see him get 20+ carries in a game and see if he still has a lot of gas in his tank at the end of the games. Right now it's easier for us to say he should start, but will he have that much fire after 20-25 carries and 3-5 catches? The only way to tell is to give him a shot.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:48 AM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_man View Post
Late last year. Barber was going like a busted asshole and Jones broke for a 60 odd yard gain(run down too)... lol

Anyway... While it works... DONT FUCKEN FIX IT. Thats all I see in the current situation. Barber comes in for 10-15 plays a game max... FRESH and kills it. Jones doesnt have to handle the entire workload thus he can break down the Defence and Marion comes in to kill it off. This works. We have no guarantees that Marion can keep it up for the entire game(and when hes been forced too... I wasnt that impressed)... and if its working at the moment? Why buy into the possibility when it already works.
That is exactly why we need to start him now to see what he can do. We must find out if we NEED to draft McFadden next year or not. Julius Jones is GONE after this season. SO why is he still the starter?????
Old 09-11-2007, 11:49 AM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
I've been pretty animate about JJ remaining the starter, but MB III is making a very strong case to become the starter. I'd like to see him get 20+ carries in a game and see if he still has a lot of gas in his tank at the end of the games. Right now it's easier for us to say he should start, but will he have that much fire after 20-25 carries and 3-5 catches? The only way to tell is to give him a shot.
I couldn't have said it any better.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc4life View Post
That is exactly why we need to start him now to see what he can do. We must find out if we NEED to draft McFadden next year or not. Julius Jones is GONE after this season. SO why is he still the starter?????
People who think that Barber can keep up that level of play over the course of a game are ignorant. Why do you think there aren't other starting RBs in the NFL who do what Barber does? Is he some of once in a lifetime prospect at RB? Maybe you should all look at what Lamont Jordan does in Oakland compared to limited action with the Jets. If Barber was a starter he would be a solid back in the league, but could put nowhere near the same amount of effort into each carry. There is a reason that our running game produces so well the way it's managed.

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:49 PM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdallas View Post
People who think that Barber can keep up that level of play over the course of a game are ignorant. Why do you think there aren't other starting RBs in the NFL who do what Barber does? Is he some of once in a lifetime prospect at RB? Maybe you should all look at what Lamont Jordan does in Oakland compared to limited action with the Jets. If Barber was a starter he would be a solid back in the league, but could put nowhere near the same amount of effort into each carry. There is a reason that our running game produces so well the way it's managed.
I'm only saying give him a shot at the starting job and see what he can do. There are running backs who do what Barber does. LT, Steven Jackson, Rudi Johnson, Frank Gore, Larry Johnson continue to truck people every year.They run with purpose. Sure they may not have break out speed (with some exceptions) but they have power, blocking ability, hands, and attitude.

Am I the only one interested in seeing what Barber can do this year as the starter? I'm not saying he should get all carries. I'm saying he should get the majority of carries to see what he is capable of doing. I honestly can't see Jones being re-signed next year. If Jones is not signed, wouldn't you want to see if Barber can carry the load? It could save you a first round pick on a RB next year which could be used on a DT/DE/CB/WR/S etc. If I'm wrong, by all means, go head and draft McFadden.

If we keep our rotation of RBs as it is, we will never know if Barber can be that GUY. So if Jones leaves, we end up drafting McFadden and MB3 is expected to sign a long term contract to be his back up? Sorry but I can see a number of teams wanting to sign MB3 to be their featured RB. He's in that same situation Michael Turner is in. Except Turner backs up a Hall of famer, and Barber backs up a mediocre back who wont be rejoining the team.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:15 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's my take on the whole Barber situation.

1) Barber needs more carries. He's been used very cautiously with the reigns held back. I'm not talking about increasing his load ten fold. All I think is that he needs to touch the ball 5-7 more times a game. Enough to stay fresh, yet turn up the gas a little.

2) The starting RB label is unimportant. I really could care less who started the game. It could very well be Tyson Thompson and I wouldn't have a beef with that. The focus should be on how and when the different RBs are used. That can only be done by the coach's feel on who's hot and who's not. Who's fresh, who needs a break, who's better for that particular play, who wants to be out there more by showing it on the field, etc etc...

3) We know what Julius Jones is... and it's not that great. Yeah, I think the consensus feels that way and I agree. He's JAG. People need to stop hoping that he's something more. Stop thinking that he will be this different back now that Parcells is gone. Stop thinking that he'll be Superman now that he'll be an unrestricted FA after the season. He is, what he is. Any big run he has is pure luck. He lacks good vision. He lacks cut back ability. He lacks power to break the first hit. He's good in the open field and he's good when he hits a 3 yard open hole. We missed our opportunity to trade him the last 2 years and gain compensation. Now we should just let him walk out of here.

4) Marion Barber has his own motives. He wants to get paid. ...and deservingly so. If we give him the starting label (which is meaningless, like I said before), and start to fade Julius out of the picture without giving more time to Thompson, then all of a sudden we give him a ton of leverage in contract negotiations. We have to be frugal with our cap with the amount of youth on this team. We don't want to pay him the salary that a full time back commands, so don't play him like one. Barber is an Restricted FA after this season and an Unrestricted FA after the '08-'09 season. He makes a measly $385,000 this year. That is sad. ...but he was a 4th round pick and that's the range for a player picked in that area. This offseason Barber fired his agent and hired.... Drew Rosenhaus. If that's not a telling sign that he wants to get paid, then I don't know what is. Luckily, all signs are pointing that he is seeking an extension asap.

So basically, I think we should give him a few more plays a game. Keep Julius or Tyson in the rotation. I don't mind if we fade Julius out as long as Tyson is there to step in and keep the committee approach alive. I don't want Barber to become the full time back and think he's worth Willis McGahee money. If we play our cards right, we can keep Barber for a long time at a reasonable cost. If Julius or Tyson don't step up considerably, then RB should be a position of target in the draft.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:23 PM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

RFA means what again? Refresh my memory. If another team offers him a contract, we have to match it to keep him right? Say Hello to poison pills !

Last edited by dc4life : 09-11-2007 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:33 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc4life View Post
RFA means what again? Refresh my memory. If another team offers him a contract, we have to match it to keep him right?
Yes. However, we'd be wise to extend him before the start of FA. Like we did with Gurode. FA can be a beast. There are also tags we can hit him with if we don't resign him, in which we receive compensation for the loss.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:56 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

noone is saying barber should get 25 carries a game, and i wouldnt expect him to still run how he does now when he comes off the bench, but your play at some point has to warrant more carries, or more time on the field...whose to say it wouldnt work better starting barber and having jones spell him? i just dont think you can continue to leave someone on the bench as long as we do barber and its obvious he puts 110% into every carry, and he should be rewarded...if anything, we should go every other series, somehow get him the ball more

Quote:
Old 09-11-2007, 02:57 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
noone is saying barber should get 25 carries a game, and i wouldnt expect him to still run how he does now when he comes off the bench, but your play at some point has to warrant more carries, or more time on the field...whose to say it wouldnt work better starting barber and having jones spell him? i just dont think you can continue to leave someone on the bench as long as we do barber and its obvious he puts 110% into every carry, and he should be rewarded...if anything, we should go every other series, somehow get him the ball more
I think some people ARE saying that.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:58 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Here's my take on the whole Barber situation.

1) Barber needs more carries. He's been used very cautiously with the reigns held back. I'm not talking about increasing his load ten fold. All I think is that he needs to touch the ball 5-7 more times a game. Enough to stay fresh, yet turn up the gas a little.

2) The starting RB label is unimportant. I really could care less who started the game. It could very well be Tyson Thompson and I wouldn't have a beef with that. The focus should be on how and when the different RBs are used. That can only be done by the coach's feel on who's hot and who's not. Who's fresh, who needs a break, who's better for that particular play, who wants to be out there more by showing it on the field, etc etc...

3) We know what Julius Jones is... and it's not that great. Yeah, I think the consensus feels that way and I agree. He's JAG. People need to stop hoping that he's something more. Stop thinking that he will be this different back now that Parcells is gone. Stop thinking that he'll be Superman now that he'll be an unrestricted FA after the season. He is, what he is. Any big run he has is pure luck. He lacks good vision. He lacks cut back ability. He lacks power to break the first hit. He's good in the open field and he's good when he hits a 3 yard open hole. We missed our opportunity to trade him the last 2 years and gain compensation. Now we should just let him walk out of here.

4) Marion Barber has his own motives. He wants to get paid. ...and deservingly so. If we give him the starting label (which is meaningless, like I said before), and start to fade Julius out of the picture without giving more time to Thompson, then all of a sudden we give him a ton of leverage in contract negotiations. We have to be frugal with our cap with the amount of youth on this team. We don't want to pay him the salary that a full time back commands, so don't play him like one. Barber is an Restricted FA after this season and an Unrestricted FA after the '08-'09 season. He makes a measly $385,000 this year. That is sad. ...but he was a 4th round pick and that's the range for a player picked in that area. This offseason Barber fired his agent and hired.... Drew Rosenhaus. If that's not a telling sign that he wants to get paid, then I don't know what is. Luckily, all signs are pointing that he is seeking an extension asap.

So basically, I think we should give him a few more plays a game. Keep Julius or Tyson in the rotation. I don't mind if we fade Julius out as long as Tyson is there to step in and keep the committee approach alive. I don't want Barber to become the full time back and think he's worth Willis McGahee money. If we play our cards right, we can keep Barber for a long time at a reasonable cost. If Julius or Tyson don't step up considerably, then RB should be a position of target in the draft.
I agree, give him another 5-7 touches per game. Because he needs to keep that fire in his belly. If he loses that, he's an above average back.

I'm not completely giving up faith in JJ yet. I'd like to see how he performs the next few weeks against good defenses.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote