Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 09-24-2007, 03:44 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
It's easy to say that when one guy didn't go through the extensive offseason. I was extremely high on Thomas...even had him rated high than Gallery all time. I just don't think Long is in the group. I would put him on the same level as DBrick which kind of sounds funny. He is almost a complete flop of what DBrick is for me. Great run blocker...average pass blocker.
I agree 100% He might even wind up being a right tackle
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:09 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Jake Long as Gallery?

Wow, let us see what the season brings and the combine. Jake is dominant and have yet to see him abused. Even Spencer said, Long was the best player he faced last year. That says something.

Regardless, I think we not only need value with the Cleveland pick but we need to fill a real hole.

LT, S, CB, WR, DL and RB are areas of need. Who in this draft is worthy of a top 5 pick? Keep in mind the system we run and the areas we are already stong at.

Only DMac, Long and Phillips look to make it ... and Long / Phillips are still maybe depending on workouts.
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:20 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1a. NT (yes NT) Glenn Dorsey - Reason. He is an elite Tackle. Run stuffing is his strong suit, yet he has all the talent and ability to do much more. He DOES command a double team. He is nasty. He has the perfect height (Not to tall, not too short). His strength is uncanny. His weight at 300 pounds is not a problem in our scheme. The depth at DT is extremely weak. NT is our biggest weakness imo. He would give us that elite NT that I so badly want.

1b. OT Ryan Clady - With all the hype on other tackles, Long, Baker, Cherilous, and Richardson, Clady is slipping through the cracks. Right now, after Long, Clady is my favorite tackle.

2. CB Reggie Smith - Talented corner bumped down due to strong CB class.

3. RB Ray Rice - Done my talking about him. I like his game a lot.

4. DE Keilen Dykes - Penetrating DT that has the ability to make the move to End in the 3-4.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:08 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reggie's a junior. I doubt very seriously he comes out early.
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:19 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Reggie's a junior. I doubt very seriously he comes out early.
Yeah after looking at that mock, I don't like it very much.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:25 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Take 2.

1a. OT Jake Long

1b. NT Sedrick Ellis

2. CB Mike Jenkins

3. RB Ray Rice

4. DE Keilen Dykes
Old 09-24-2007, 08:40 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Take 2.

1a. OT Jake Long

1b. NT Sedrick Ellis

2. CB Mike Jenkins

3. RB Ray Rice

4. DE Keilen Dykes
I'm with Jake Long all day, but ouch on the Sedrick Ellis at NT. I know the idea of this 3-technique/NT sounds sexy, especially with the way Wade describes his NT. But a guy hovering around 285-290 scares me to much just to stick him in there, and ask him to take on double teams.

But good call on Dykes.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:44 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not a great year for a "true" NT. Perhaps Jay Ratliff will play well enough so, we dont even need to get one...so far so good. Ratliff has shown great strength in the middle...he's a great player wherever we stick him.

In addition...

Fergy will be back and we dont even know what we have in Tank yet.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 09-24-2007 at 08:47 PM.
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:46 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also regarding NT, I know were all deadly worried about the position, but I don't want to start reaching for players just because they have the prototypical size, or sticking a guy in there who doesn't really fit the position. You never know what next years FA picture might look like.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:01 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I def. see us doing some trading in the draft. We have a lot of picks and a very small amount of actual needs...I truly believe we have one true need and that's CB. Everything else are just wants, imo...I'm kind of on the fence w/ NT but, w/ Fergy returning, Ratliff, and the Tank addition...I'm not that worried to be honest. Also, the NT talent isnt really there this season...not for a high selection anyway.

1st A: RB
1st B: CB
2nd: depends on pick A...either trade to trade up or if not needed, DE/T/G
3rd: BPA

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-24-2007, 09:02 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

First crack at it

Day One Picks

Jake Long - With Flozell aging and his knack of racking up false starts, getting a stud like Long seems to be ideal. Has been consistent through out his career, and has earned the status that he has gained. Now I'm not giving up on Free and Marten, but to pass up on a LT prospect like Long would be hard to do IMO.

Antoine Cason - Anthony Henry is doing great, Newman is on the mend, but CB is still a need. Cason has the experience, has the production, and has good size. A safe pick.

Early Doucet - Kind of torn on this pick. It was between WR or RB at this spot in my mock. But adding another weapon for Romo is what I'm looking for here. TO looks like he can play for another 10 years, and Crayton and Hurd are great, but with Glenn's career on the downside, I like adding a guy like Doucet. And again my favorite word, productive in his time at LSU. though got a bit of the injury bug so far this year.

Justin Forsett - Size is a concern, but this kid has game breaking ability. A very good change of pace back to compliment Barber, if JJ does leave.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:19 PM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

fryman hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
1a. NT (yes NT) Glenn Dorsey
finally somebody agrees with me. lol

seriously he could be an instant contributer and get a lot of snaps between NT and DE, even if Ferguson stays. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of picking him.
fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:23 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryman View Post
finally somebody agrees with me. lol

seriously he could be an instant contributer and get a lot of snaps between NT and DE, even if Ferguson stays. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of picking him.
I like the idea too. At least it's an option, ya know. I have to watch more of Sedrick Ellis too cause he might be a guy to look at with our second first rounder.

Jason Ferguson, 6-3, 305
Jay Ratliff, 6-2, 298
Remi Ayodele, 6-3, 300
Tank Johnson, 6-3, 305

Glenn Dorsey, 6-3, 299

It could work.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:37 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I love Dorsey...not the greatest fit for our 3-4 but, he could def do it. I dont think it will happen but, I wouldnt be opposed, if Run DMC was off of the board. It would be a total waste of a pick if he was just playing NT, though. Wouldnt be the ideal situation for him.

There really isnt a real NT to use a first rounder on and I'm not so sure we would need one if there was one. Ratliff has been impressive.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-25-2007, 04:46 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
1a. NT (yes NT) Glenn Dorsey - Reason. He is an elite Tackle. Run stuffing is his strong suit, yet he has all the talent and ability to do much more. He DOES command a double team. He is nasty. He has the perfect height (Not to tall, not too short). His strength is uncanny. His weight at 300 pounds is not a problem in our scheme. The depth at DT is extremely weak. NT is our biggest weakness imo. He would give us that elite NT that I so badly want.

1b. OT Ryan Clady - With all the hype on other tackles, Long, Baker, Cherilous, and Richardson, Clady is slipping through the cracks. Right now, after Long, Clady is my favorite tackle.

2. CB Reggie Smith - Talented corner bumped down due to strong CB class.

3. RB Ray Rice - Done my talking about him. I like his game a lot.

4. DE Keilen Dykes - Penetrating DT that has the ability to make the move to End in the 3-4.
Clady is a JR....no reason to declare with Baker and Long the top prospects coming out...seem like your wishing here D. Clady is essentially a lock top 5 pick in 09...so hard to see him coming out.

Reggie Smith might come out....but I think that is more due to the lack of Safety depth in this draft...he'd be stupid to try to come out with all the Jr's likely to declare this year.

Draft is unlikely as I'm sure you saw after you posted it...just wanted to comment on my thoughts.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:49 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Take 2.

1a. OT Jake Long

1b. NT Sedrick Ellis

2. CB Mike Jenkins

3. RB Ray Rice

4. DE Keilen Dykes
IK I've said a million times my statement on the tackle situation. But I'm calling it right now Long doesn't have the feet to be an elite LT...which is something we should be getting with a top 3 pick...since Long won't be available outside of that.

Ellis in the late 20's...you must be dreaming...I know injury concerns might cause him to drop a little bit...but he is right up there with dorsey who is essentially a lock for a top 10 picking. No reason to see Ellis falling out of the top 20.

Mike Jenkings is a guy who could be around in the late 2nd...but a lot depends on which Jr.s declare at this point almost any CB can be given to us at any slot...it's just a crapshoot right now. I like the pick.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-25-2007, 04:51 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
First crack at it

Day One Picks

Jake Long - With Flozell aging and his knack of racking up false starts, getting a stud like Long seems to be ideal. Has been consistent through out his career, and has earned the status that he has gained. Now I'm not giving up on Free and Marten, but to pass up on a LT prospect like Long would be hard to do IMO.

Antoine Cason - Anthony Henry is doing great, Newman is on the mend, but CB is still a need. Cason has the experience, has the production, and has good size. A safe pick.

Early Doucet - Kind of torn on this pick. It was between WR or RB at this spot in my mock. But adding another weapon for Romo is what I'm looking for here. TO looks like he can play for another 10 years, and Crayton and Hurd are great, but with Glenn's career on the downside, I like adding a guy like Doucet. And again my favorite word, productive in his time at LSU. though got a bit of the injury bug so far this year.

Justin Forsett - Size is a concern, but this kid has game breaking ability. A very good change of pace back to compliment Barber, if JJ does leave.
Long...ehh see pervious quotes.
Cason great pick....someone who would hold great value in the late first.
Doucet in the late 2nd round...IDK what your drinking but I want some. Doucet is a lock for the first round at this point in the season. I really don't think it's even the slightest of possibilities no matter how many underclassman declare.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-25-2007, 08:30 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Long...ehh see pervious quotes.
Cason great pick....someone who would hold great value in the late first.
Doucet in the late 2nd round...IDK what your drinking but I want some. Doucet is a lock for the first round at this point in the season. I really don't think it's even the slightest of possibilities no matter how many underclassman declare.

I have Desean and Malcom Kelly ahead of Doucet at this point, anticipating that they both will come out. With both Bowman and Sweed possibly getting the nod over Doucet, if they have good seasons. And with the fact it is early in the season, and WR seem to find away to slip there way down the board every year, I could see Doucet possibly falling to 2nd. I really don't see him as much as lock in the 1st as you do obviously, but maybe Late-2nd was abit of wishful thinking on my part, so I'll give you that.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:54 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I have Desean and Malcom Kelly ahead of Doucet at this point, anticipating that they both will come out. With both Bowman and Sweed possibly getting the nod over Doucet, if they have good seasons. And with the fact it is early in the season, and WR seem to find away to slip there way down the board every year, I could see Doucet possibly falling to 2nd. I really don't see him as much as lock in the 1st as you do obviously, but maybe Late-2nd was abit of wishful thinking on my part, so I'll give you that.
I don't understand how in the world Sweed would go before Doucet. Doucet is better in every measurable catagory. It's not like a player can prove he is a better run blocker at the combine. Offseason is all about measurables...I just don't see how Sweed could go higher.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-25-2007, 09:13 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I don't understand how in the world Sweed would go before Doucet. Doucet is better in every measurable catagory. It's not like a player can prove he is a better run blocker at the combine. Offseason is all about measurables...I just don't see how Sweed could go higher.
I find it hard to believe, that you find it so hard to believe. Would you be that shocked if Sweed goes over Doucet? Sweed is no scrub, he has been as productive in his collegieant career as Doucet has, and has showed time and time again that he his a great target. Kid is talented, with great size to boot. And at this point, alot teams hold great value for that big red Zone target. Doucet is fantastic, great frame with a great speed, upside maybe abit higher then Sweed. But I fail to see how it would be such a world shattering event if Sweed goes over Doucet.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:20 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I find it hard to believe, that you find it so hard to believe. Would you be that shocked if Sweed goes over Doucet? Sweed is no scrub, he has been as productive in his collegieant career as Doucet has, and has showed time and time again that he his a great target. Kid is talented, with great size to boot. And at this point, alot teams hold great value for that big red Zone target. Doucet is fantastic, great frame with a great speed, upside maybe abit higher then Sweed. But I fail to see how it would be such a world shattering event if Sweed goes over Doucet.
I would be willing to bet my whole NFLDC account on it.

Sweed just doesn't have the measurables to go above him.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-25-2007, 09:22 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I would be willing to bet my whole NFLDC account on it.

Sweed just doesn't have the measurables to go above him.
Haha. I don't want you to do that now. This is one of those agree to disagree moments.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:23 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I like Sweed I really do...actually drafted him as the GM of the vikings last year. But there is no way he is even as good of prospect as Dwayne Jarrett and he went in the mid 2nd round. This WR class is deep but Doucet is in the top 4 no matter how you cut it....with the success of Davis in SD and Bowe in KC this will only help his draft rankings. He is a first round lock imo. I'll agree to disagree but i'll remember this come draft time :P

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-25-2007, 01:10 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No way Sweed is as good as Jarrett? are you serious? one of the knocks of Jarrett was he breakaway speed and Sweed is ALOT faster then Jarrett is, he never ran away from defenders on the deep ball the way sweed does, i can guarantee Sweed is a mid 4.4 guy at the combine, if jarrett was that fast he would of went 1st rd...every other category, you can basically look at someone like sidney rice, except Sweed has more experience, production, and overall talent then either of the two...

Do I think he will be drafted before Doucet? No. but he's alot better of a prospect then Jarrett will be, and how many people could say with a straight face Crag Davis would be drafted a whole rd ahead of Jarrett before the season started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:27 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

I actually like your first mock better, D...you can't be sure about how Ratliff will perform down the stretch, how good Johnson will be (and how much trouble he may get in), and whether Fergy will be able to recover. With all these doubts, penciling in NT doesn't sound like a bad idea, and Dorsey is definitely one of those elite guys who could actually be a major difference maker along the 3-4 line. I don't know enough about Ellis to say the same for him.

I'm not quite sold on taking a tackle in the first round (although I think Flo will need to be replaced), because I like the potential of Free and McQuistan at this point. Perhaps neither will be the star that Long has the potential to be, but I think that one will be the starter we need along the line. For that reason, I would be opposed to taking anyone but Long in the first: if we're going to get another left tackle, let's make him an elite left tackle.

As I've said I like the possibility of taking a corner in the 2nd and I wouldn't mind a running back in the middle rounds. DE is another position with major questions that have to be resolved by the end of the season.